ADVERTISEMENT

Youth soccer club

Wow. That’s a fantastic result. Sounds like your son as well as the team are progressing nicely. I’m rather new to the competitive side so how does this work? If your son’s team is as good or better than the NPL club will they move them up to the NPL spot. Can TSC have two NPL teams?

Our plan is to start playing some pre-ECNL 11v11 this spring. We will c how that goes. Looks like this team travels a lot especially to Dallas and KC.

Last edited:
Wow. That’s a fantastic result. Sounds like your son as well as the team are progressing nicely. I’m rather new to the competitive side so how does this work? If your son’s team is as good or better than the NPL club will they move them up to the NPL spot. Can TSC have two NPL teams?

Our plan is to start playing some pre-ECNL 11v11 this spring. We will c how that goes. Looks like this team travels a lot especially to Dallas and KC.
Yeah they've improved rapidly. Just some tactical coaching is all it took. There are some really good technical players...they just had no idea what they were supposed to do with the ball.

Good question. I'm sure the NPL team is the NPL team for the year. I do think TSC has the option of entering a 2nd team as a club option NPL team and they would play in a slightly different league (I think the 1st option is NPL-Club Based so it is the team designated by each club as the NPL side; the 2nd option I think is called "league based" for teams who think they are NPL level. I know the girls definitely have this option but I'm not sure about the boys. We are still way below fitness level and the boys need to do some work on that before the season begins.

I know we are headed to the Plano Labor Day tournament and it looks like a Sporting AR tournament in October in addition to the TSC adidas Showcase in November.

Right now I'm trying to set up a scrimmage with teams outside of TSC. May get to play one of the Sheffield teams next week. We should, barring kids not showing up, hammer them. BUT, that should also give our boys the confidence that they can play most teams in their age group.

We are schedule to play in that Plano Labor Day tourney as well. Hopefully I’ll see you down there.

My sons 06 and daughters 10’s will both be in Plano as well if corona doesn’t cancel everything.
And perhaps our sons will meet on the pitch as well as they are the same age group. We don't tend to play up in age groups so we'll be a true 06 team.

And perhaps our sons will meet on the pitch as well as they are the same age group. We don't tend to play up in age groups so we'll be a true 06 team.
Yes. Especially in Plano. That competition is usually really good. This will be probably the 5th year in a row we'll be going.

Yes. Especially in Plano. That competition is usually really good. This will be probably the 5th year in a row we'll be going.
We've never been to Plano. Our coach the last 2 years didn't like going to Texas, before that it was hard doing out of town tournaments because our coach had a commitment to the Roughnecks (now FC Tulsa) so it was hard to find dates that worked. I even think when we played in the Norman tournament and State Cup at SLSC that year he drove back and forth on the turnpike to the games each day and didn't stay at the hotel.

I do like that we are planning to go. My friend, who used to play GK at TU, lives in the area and I've asked him for some feedback and some tips for my son when he first started playing GK. It'd be good if they got the chance to connect for him to provide some live feedback to my son.

Reactions: TU 98
Well both my sons and daughters teams have pulled out of Plano because of the virus. We're still scheduled to play OPC to maybe we'll see you guys in that.

Our schedule for the next three weekends.

1). Kansas City
2). Premier Cup (Solar) in Dallas
3). Beat the Heat in Edmond

Going to be a busy few weeks.

Well both my sons and daughters teams have pulled out of Plano because of the virus. We're still scheduled to play OPC to maybe we'll see you guys in that.
Was that a club/team/parents decision or did we hear Plano is punting because Dallas is a dangerous place in terms of the virus right now?

Was that a club/team/parents decision or did we hear Plano is punting because Dallas is a dangerous place in terms of the virus right now?
it was each team's choice. My sons team is playing in Beat the Heat in Edmond but the 10 girls team hasn't decided on anything yet and I guess they've pushed the OPC start date back to the end of September.

Wow. That's crazy. How did KC go?

Lost 2-1 in the finals. Positive side the weather was fantastic. Negative side we were the better team in the final game but just couldn't find the net. Soccer gods.

Reactions: TU 98
it was each team's choice. My sons team is playing in Beat the Heat in Edmond but the 10 girls team hasn't decided on anything yet and I guess they've pushed the OPC start date back to the end of September.
Sept. 26th is when OPC schedule starts. We're still trying to get kids registered so our roster is in full flux. Everyone bought a new uniform but can't get the registration stuff done. I'm the manager so it's frustrating.

That’s a very good squad based on what I saw when we scrimmaged you.
They are a good team
Sept. 26th is when OPC schedule starts. We're still trying to get kids registered so our roster is in full flux. Everyone bought a new uniform but can't get the registration stuff done. I'm the manager so it's frustrating.
My wife is our manager and feels your pain. We still dont have an updated roster for the tournament his weekend. We have to have it in by 5PM tomorrow.

Thanks for the info on OPC. We are going to play up in that rather than play another year of Academy.

I tried that at the end of one season when the other manager quit and I was terrible. People were handing me money and I forgot who gave me what by the time I got to the car. I am not organized enough to be the manager.

I tried that at the end of one season when the other manager quit and I was terrible. People were handing me money and I forgot who gave me what by the time I got to the car. I am not organized enough to be the manager.
I do it because I hate not being in the know. I was the manager for my son's 1st 2 years at TSC, and then wasn't. Year 4 was awful...the communication was terrible and I decided to do it again. I will communicate the ears off of people...they can never say they didn't know this or that. The $ part is easier now. Parents pay their club dues directly to the club this year...makes it a little easier. I still collect team fees for tournaments and ref fees, etc. (NPL AND ECNL are not all inclusive...they pay the club and the club pays out for those things, hoping they go that way for OPC next season). Since almost everyone pays via CashApp, I have a nifty little record of who paid what when. This year TSC is paying for all the teams to have a TeamSnap account too...one less expense. Of course they see everything you post about...but they can also send out updates via email or alert too.

I'm also getting pissed because I'm too much in the know. I know the politics behind the scenes, I know the games coaches are playing with kids and their parents and at times I feel like I am caught in the middle. Parents come to me to complain about playing time or coaching style or (seriously) "why isn't he yelling at the boys more to do what he wants them to?"

My kid is also caught in the middle of some of the stupid politics and I'm just about done with it. He's good. He's gotten a ton better in the 4 years since TSC did a formal tryout in his age group for GKs. He's actually better than one of the ECNL GKs in his age group as well as one of the 05 ECNL GKs. He trains side by side with many of them so there's an easy comparison. He was the only GK at the last 7 training sessions for the NPL team as the kid on the NPL team hasn't bothered to show up for 3 weeks. This includes a weekly 3 mile training run. Yet, like most clubs they won't dare tell a kid he has to move down because the kid will quit or leave the club and that's lost revenue. That's the whole problem with pay to play where it becomes more about the revenue and the business over developing kids and playing them against competition they should be playing. I actually asked a manager from another club if they would entertain the idea of trading GKs, my son for their current GK (my son was actually offered the spot through their tryout process after the GK coach at the club did an evaluation of the 3 vying for the spot). My son has felt loyalty to TSC despite TSC never really reciprocating.

I wonder if there has even been a trade between two youth soccer clubs as I am seriously thinking about requesting one for my son.

I wonder if there has even been a trade between two youth soccer clubs as I am seriously thinking about requesting one for my son.

That's funny. We moved to TSC this year because my daughter wanted to play ECNL and we figured being selected to the ECNL team would be easier when the kid already played for the pre ECNL team. There will always be loyalty imo and clubs hate to move kids down like you stated. Thus for every player added to the competitive roster there is likely one moved down. Ask me next summer how things worked out :)

That's funny. We moved to TSC this year because my daughter wanted to play ECNL and we figured being selected to the ECNL team would be easier when the kid already played for the pre ECNL team. There will always be loyalty imo and clubs hate to move kids down like you stated. Thus for every player added to the competitive roster there is likely one moved down. Ask me next summer how things worked out :)
My issue is the change in the rosters at this late date. We signed based on the roster returning as my son had another offer from another club and he felt like staying with TSC with the kids that signed on this team would be better competitively than moving. Now a couple kids get moved b/c for some reason no one wants to play for the NPL team except for the kids on the OPC teams. Our team would have been competitive with the NPL team, but not after they poach 2 of the better players right before the season starts. I know the manager of the team of the other club my son tried out with and I sent her a text asking if the coach would be willing to negotiate a trade of the kid who they "ended up with" and my son. Both started at TSC, the other kid got cut from my son's current team because the coach didn't want to roster 2 keepers and told him flat out he wasn't going to have any guaranteed playing time if he stayed. They both tried out at the other club where my son won the position but decided to not accept the offer. Just disappointed that I bought the coach's line again...

Nobody could load up a wad of chew like Joe.

Oh now, my boy George Brett could stuff in half a pouch of RedMan with a double wrap of Juicy Fruit if the situation called for it.

But no one, and I mean no one, could burn a heater and swing a sledgehammer in the on-deck circle like The Cobra Dave Parker.

I do it because I hate not being in the know. I was the manager for my son's 1st 2 years at TSC, and then wasn't. Year 4 was awful...the communication was terrible and I decided to do it again. I will communicate the ears off of people...they can never say they didn't know this or that. The $ part is easier now. Parents pay their club dues directly to the club this year...makes it a little easier. I still collect team fees for tournaments and ref fees, etc. (NPL AND ECNL are not all inclusive...they pay the club and the club pays out for those things, hoping they go that way for OPC next season). Since almost everyone pays via CashApp, I have a nifty little record of who paid what when. This year TSC is paying for all the teams to have a TeamSnap account too...one less expense. Of course they see everything you post about...but they can also send out updates via email or alert too.

I'm also getting pissed because I'm too much in the know. I know the politics behind the scenes, I know the games coaches are playing with kids and their parents and at times I feel like I am caught in the middle. Parents come to me to complain about playing time or coaching style or (seriously) "why isn't he yelling at the boys more to do what he wants them to?"

My kid is also caught in the middle of some of the stupid politics and I'm just about done with it. He's good. He's gotten a ton better in the 4 years since TSC did a formal tryout in his age group for GKs. He's actually better than one of the ECNL GKs in his age group as well as one of the 05 ECNL GKs. He trains side by side with many of them so there's an easy comparison. He was the only GK at the last 7 training sessions for the NPL team as the kid on the NPL team hasn't bothered to show up for 3 weeks. This includes a weekly 3 mile training run. Yet, like most clubs they won't dare tell a kid he has to move down because the kid will quit or leave the club and that's lost revenue. That's the whole problem with pay to play where it becomes more about the revenue and the business over developing kids and playing them against competition they should be playing. I actually asked a manager from another club if they would entertain the idea of trading GKs, my son for their current GK (my son was actually offered the spot through their tryout process after the GK coach at the club did an evaluation of the 3 vying for the spot). My son has felt loyalty to TSC despite TSC never really reciprocating.

I definitely understand. I am in a similar situation. I actually sit with the coach during games and help manage everything on the side. It does get into a routine and the club assumes everyone is happy unless people say otherwise. If you think your son should be looked at on a higher team I don't think it hurts to let your feelings be known. Puberty plays a huge role in development. My older son was little a slow until he hit puberty and puberty hit and he was big and the fastest boy on the team. He went from a 2nd team player to the top OEFC team wanting him and he ended up making all state in highschool this year. But he definitely wasn't near as good before puberty hit. I think some times coaches just have so much on their plate and if your son is a good keeper and you are the manager I'm sure he doesn't want to lose you. If he assumes you are happy he's not going to push you up unless you make it known that's what you want most likely.

My 06 is in Beat the Heat this weekend and my daughter's 2010 team is doing the NEOFC tourney in a couple of weeks instead of Plano so parents can drive back and forth and not do a hotel if they want. I know the TSC 2010's did the Solar tourney this weekend and it looks like they did well. Anyone doing Beat the Heat this weekend?

My 06 is in Beat the Heat this weekend and my daughter's 2010 team is doing the NEOFC tourney in a couple of weeks instead of Plano so parents can drive back and forth and not do a hotel if they want. I know the TSC 2010's did the Solar tourney this weekend and it looks like they did well. Anyone doing Beat the Heat this weekend?

Solar was a good tourney. We lost 2-1 in the finals to the Solar team we had tied to day before. Hard to get calls when you play the host club in the tourney finals. Dallas just has so many good teams. Every team we played down there was solid. We are playing in the U12 Silver bracket in Beat the Heat this weekend. We evidently got bumped down from Gold because of team availability. Probably would have preferred U11 Gold but oh well.

Our TSC 11 girls lost in the finals in PK's at the Solar tournament. It was a tough loss for them against a team that they had tied in pool play. It took 7 shooters to decide the game.

We put together a side for the Owasso 6v6 benefit this weekend. Boys played well...but we struggled our first game out after lunch time. Kids were sluggish and got down 4-0 before they decided to play and fight back. Missed some really good chances. We won our 1st 2 games and missed out on the championship game due to GD (2 own goals did us in). My son, the GK, had an assist after catching a cross, dropping it in front of him and dribbling 3/4 the length of the field creating a 3 on 1...he dished it to the RW who slotted home the shot. I told my son his coach probably isn't going to let him do that type of thing in a regular game. The last game got chippy. 3 yellow cards dished out, probably could have been more. And this will be a team we will play a lot during the regular season and local tournaments I'm sure.

My son's team is playing in the NEOFC tournament as well because we missed the deadline for Beat the Heat. We're still planning on Plano as well...and apparently all of the TSC teams going are supposed to stay in the Westin in North Dallas off of 635. No Holiday Inn Express for this group!

My son's team is playing in the NEOFC tournament as well because we missed the deadline for Beat the Heat. We're still planning on Plano as well...and apparently all of the TSC teams going are supposed to stay in the Westin in North Dallas off of 635. No Holiday Inn Express for this group!
Holy crap...TSC reserved something like 600 rooms between 2 hotels...that's how many teams are travelling to Plano. A friend of mine who lives down there (and played GK at TU) said that most of the youth soccer clubs in the area have told parents no fans at the fields for practices or games....to stay in their cars. I can't imagine Plano soccer telling parents of teams who have driven 4 hours to play in a tournament that they're not welcome at the fields. I do expect a mask mandate though for fans and the players on the benches. We've already been told by the hotel masks are mandatory outside of guest rooms in public areas of the hotel. I'm still skeptical this is going to happen. I'm pretty sure the PLD organizers are looking at this sort of like The Producers where they know they can make more money from a flop than they can from a hit.

Holy crap...TSC reserved something like 600 rooms between 2 hotels...that's how many teams are travelling to Plano. A friend of mine who lives down there (and played GK at TU) said that most of the youth soccer clubs in the area have told parents no fans at the fields for practices or games....to stay in their cars. I can't imagine Plano soccer telling parents of teams who have driven 4 hours to play in a tournament that they're not welcome at the fields. I do expect a mask mandate though for fans and the players on the benches. We've already been told by the hotel masks are mandatory outside of guest rooms in public areas of the hotel. I'm still skeptical this is going to happen. I'm pretty sure the PLD organizers are looking at this sort of like The Producers where they know they can make more money from a flop than they can from a hit.

We were limited to two spectators per player this past weekend at the Premier Cup in Plano. No one followed said rules but they were still in place. There is no possible way for most parents to watch the games from their vehicles btw due to the parking situation.

They should put a video feed on each game, and let the parents pay for the video feed. Can you charge a password fee through periscope?

They should put a video feed on each game, and let the parents pay for the video feed. Can you charge a password fee through periscope?
Periscope? Is that still around? Seriously, if you could get one person in, they could FB Live the stream.

We were limited to two spectators per player this past weekend at the Premier Cup in Plano. No one followed said rules but they were still in place. There is no possible way for most parents to watch the games from their vehicles btw due to the parking situation.
And I haven't gotten anything in the rules or from the tournament that laid out any restrictions on limits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT