ADVERTISEMENT

Youth soccer club

Are you talking the 2018 final in OKC or the semi-final last year in Tulsa? It was interesting that my son's team played the same team 2 years in a row in State Cup...same coach, and he absolutely lost his mind both times which I think rattled the boys some. Last spring they had to bring in parents from several fields to keep him from killing the referee. That was the game I was yelling at Milo to blow the whistle to end the game forgetting he gave the boys like a 5 minute water break in the 2nd half. It's funny (and sad) how invested parents get in the games and yet the boys mostly are like, "Meh, it's a game."

you are right it was both but last years semi-final was definitely the worst he’s done. The reffing wasn’t good but there’s no excuse for how he acted.

She was on the Bratt Pack team last year. They haven’t done any this year. I think we played you the very first game of the Edmond 3v3 last year early. You guys got us by a goal I think but I’m not positive. Tbh we didn’t know you guys were going to be that good. We played nokc in the final of every 3v3 in the city both of the last 2 years before that one. We played you guys early and you came out strong and beat us. That feels like 3 years ago even though it was only a year.

Remember the Brat Pack well. We actually won that tourney by beating the Strikers in the finals. They’ve now beaten us twice in a row. What 9v9 team does your daughter play for?

Remember the Brat Pack well. We actually won that tourney by beating the Strikers in the finals. They’ve now beaten us twice in a row. What 9v9 team does your daughter play for?
She's on the Southlakes Cosmos Elite 2010 team. They have a good group. I remember watching that final last year. That was intense for a summer 3v3 game with 9 year old girls haha.

She's on the Southlakes Cosmos Elite 2010 team. They have a good group. I remember watching that final last year. That was intense for a summer 3v3 game with 9 year old girls haha.

We've played NOKC (now OEFC) a lot and we have tied them a few times and lost to them most of the time but still have never beaten them. We finally got a keeper this year (last year we rotated girls) and we picked up a couple of the girls from that Barca team who are solid. Last season we played 9v9 and only had 11 girls on the roster and seemed to always be short at least one girl and we just got tired in a lot of the games. We were tied 0-0 at half with TSC both of the last 2 times we played them and then kind of ran out of gas in the 2nd half of both games. The new girls we picked up should help us a lot. It's funny I have 3 older boys who play and I enjoy watching my daughters team probably the most because of how much they are still improving.

you are right it was both but last years semi-final was definitely the worst he’s done. The reffing wasn’t good but there’s no excuse for how he acted.
That game was a card fest...and some of them were really petty from the ref...like giving a kid a card for standing in front of the ball to prevent a quick restart. I've never ever seen that in any level of soccer before without warning the player to step back. And there is no specific law preventing a player from doing that and the 10 yd space is only given if requested, at which point play is only restarted on the ref's whistle. I believe there were 2 kids (1 from each side) that received yellows for that. I know one yellow for an SLSC player was probably the only one deserved as he hammered a kid in the box resulting in a PK. The other 2 (1 for each side, were for mouthing off to each other, not even towards the referee). And it's too bad because the quality of play in that game was actually pretty good.

We've played NOKC (now OEFC) a lot and we have tied them a few times and lost to them most of the time but still have never beaten them. We finally got a keeper this year (last year we rotated girls) and we picked up a couple of the girls from that Barca team who are solid. Last season we played 9v9 and only had 11 girls on the roster and seemed to always be short at least one girl and we just got tired in a lot of the games. We were tied 0-0 at half with TSC both of the last 2 times we played them and then kind of ran out of gas in the 2nd half of both games. The new girls we picked up should help us a lot. It's funny I have 3 older boys who play and I enjoy watching my daughters team probably the most because of how much they are still improving.

That 2010 Barca team was solid last year. We beat them 3-2 at Beat the Heat and they gave us everything we wanted. Hopefully we get to play you guys this fall and we can formally meet.

That 2010 Barca team was solid last year. We beat them 3-2 at Beat the Heat and they gave us everything we wanted. Hopefully we get to play you guys this fall and we can formally meet.
Yes we should all be in the same opc league in the fall since it's pre-ECNL. I know Southlakes, OEFC and Norman will all be in it. I'm assuming TSC and Blitz will be as well. If so that will be a great league. Unfortunately it will be the only year we all play in it together. I will look forward to following how you guys do.

That game was a card fest...and some of them were really petty from the ref...like giving a kid a card for standing in front of the ball to prevent a quick restart. I've never ever seen that in any level of soccer before without warning the player to step back. And there is no specific law preventing a player from doing that and the 10 yd space is only given if requested, at which point play is only restarted on the ref's whistle. I believe there were 2 kids (1 from each side) that received yellows for that. I know one yellow for an SLSC player was probably the only one deserved as he hammered a kid in the box resulting in a PK. The other 2 (1 for each side, were for mouthing off to each other, not even towards the referee). And it's too bad because the quality of play in that game was actually pretty good.

Yes it was.

That Barca team likes to stack things in their favor too. They played in the 09 group a lot and brought their top 4 or 5 09's with them who are really good so they could make sure they won. They did that vs us last year in our tournament. That team lost most of their players though. They scattered.

Last edited:
That Barca team likes to stack things in their favor too. They played in the 09 group a lot and brought their top 4 or 5 09's with them who are really good so they could make sure they won. They did that vs us last year in our tournament. That team lost most of their players though. They scattered.
And that's a main beef a lot of parents have with competitive clubs. It's one thing to have players play with your team to add depth...but they shouldn't be taking minutes away from the regular players on the roster. That doesn't do anything to help the players on the team to actually develop and just proves the coach only cares about winning.

And that's a main beef a lot of parents have with competitive clubs. It's one thing to have players play with your team to add depth...but they shouldn't be taking minutes away from the regular players on the roster. That doesn't do anything to help the players on the team to actually develop and just proves the coach only cares about winning.
Yes and I think that’s why that team fell apart. It was all about winning instead of player development.

I could have sworn there were some Barca girls on the field the last time we played NOKC. Barca’s coach would try to sub every time we had a numbers advantage on a throw in. Had never seen that.

I could have sworn there were some Barca girls on the field the last time we played NOKC. Barca’s coach would try to sub every time we had a numbers advantage on a throw in. Had never seen that.

yes a couple of Barca girls went with nokc to super copa I know. I think some went there and some went to us.

We’re going to super copa over Labor Day weekend assuming they still have it. I anticipate we will get pounded.

We’re going to super copa over Labor Day weekend assuming they still have it. I anticipate we will get pounded.

Haha. There are some amazing Dallas teams. A lot of them. We’ll be in Dallas Labor Day too. We’ll be at the Plano Labor Day tournament. That’s a good one too. I bet super copa pulls a lot of the usual Plano Labor Day tourney teams. Maybe we’ll have a better chance.

That's why the actual law of the game says you can only make substitutions during restart situations in which your team is awarded the ball UNLESS the other team is also requesting a substitution at the same time. Referee should not allow a substitute in those situations.

That's why the actual law of the game says you can only make substitutions during restart situations in which your team is awarded the ball UNLESS the other team is also requesting a substitution at the same time. Referee should not allow a substitute in those situations.

Wasn't aware of that rule. Many officials apparently aren't either :)

My soccer weekend.....3v3 tourney on Saturday at Titan. Two games in Dallas on Sunday. Ugg

As far as I know that rule has been around for a good 40 some odd years, maybe a lot longer.

Wasn't aware of that rule. Many officials apparently aren't either :)

My soccer weekend.....3v3 tourney on Saturday at Titan. Two games in Dallas on Sunday. Ugg
That is the technical rule. Now you see a lot of leeway when you're talking about younger kids too but I hate it when coaches take advantage of that. Kids should be taught to take throw-ins fast and catch the other team sleeping. Part of the beauty of soccer is the action really never has to stop. You can go as fast or as slow as you want. If I am your daughter's coach I make sure to get on the ref about that and let him know right when it happens. Usually you'll get an apology from the ref (but not always).

That is the technical rule. Now you see a lot of leeway when you're talking about younger kids too but I hate it when coaches take advantage of that. Kids should be taught to take throw-ins fast and catch the other team sleeping. Part of the beauty of soccer is the action really never has to stop. You can go as fast or as slow as you want. If I am your daughter's coach I make sure to get on the ref about that and let him know right when it happens. Usually you'll get an apology from the ref (but not always).

Where did your son end up playing this season?

TU_BLA said:

[/quote]
Stayed with TSC. He’s actually ended up in a good situation. He’ll get to play some with the NPL side.

Funny thing is he’s been doing a ton of GK training with Lewis Amos. Amos has bumped him up in the group he trains with so he is training with mostly older (HS) kids and he is definitely at their same level or better. 2 of them are ECNL players at TSC in the 04 and 05 age groups. He did a GK clinic for HS keepers last weekend and there were 3 06s including my son and they made the older kids look silly. I’ve complained about my kid not getting a chance to move up in competition level but I’m finding out the 06 GK group is pretty deep at TSC which is a stark contrast to the 05 group of GKs where the 06 GKs could all play up and start over that group.

It’s also fun to watch the position actually be included in the team strategy

Stayed with TSC. He’s actually ended up in a good situation. He’ll get to play some with the NPL side.

Funny thing is he’s been doing a ton of GK training with Lewis Amos. Amos has bumped him up in the group he trains with so he is training with mostly older (HS) kids and he is definitely at their same level or better. 2 of them are ECNL players at TSC in the 04 and 05 age groups. He did a GK clinic for HS keepers last weekend and there were 3 06s including my son and they made the older kids look silly. I’ve complained about my kid not getting a chance to move up in competition level but I’m finding out the 06 GK group is pretty deep at TSC which is a stark contrast to the 05 group of GKs where the 06 GKs could all play up and start over that group.

It’s also fun to watch the position actually be included in the team strategy[/QUOTE]

Congrats. My daughter will officially move to TSC on Sunday when she plays in Dallas with them. She’s excited. Her mom and I are sad to leave our friends. Look me up if your ever out there when the 2010 girls are training.

They are given all the time for standing in front the ball. It is a delay of restart, and it is cautionable.

Will you show me where the IFAB says this?

It’s also fun to watch the position actually be included in the team strategy

Congrats. My daughter will officially move to TSC on Sunday when she plays in Dallas with them. She’s excited. Her mom and I are sad to leave our friends. Look me up if your ever out there when the 2010 girls are training.[/QUOTE]
Were you out there last night with Tina's group? We were there...she was actually on our field we were supposed to train on. We ended up moving to a different field at main and scrimmaging the 02/03G NPL side. Our boys are hit or miss on their focus but played well last night. Usually if they are fresh they are pretty good.

Will you show me where the IFAB says this?
You are correct. It's not in there as to when, just that the referee has to acknowledge it. Most of the laws are made with full sides and int'l rules applying. I am wondering if there is some guidance for the referees in the notes on when substitutes can occur.

You are correct. It's not in there as to when, just that the referee has to acknowledge it. Most of the laws are made with full sides and int'l rules applying. I am wondering if there is some guidance for the referees in the notes on when substitutes can occur.
These days,(since the age of 24) my long term memory is pretty crappy. But I thought I distinctly remembered it being reffed that way when I played rec soccer.

These days,(since the age of 24) my long term memory is pretty crappy. But I thought I distinctly remembered it being reffed that way when I played rec soccer.
Every ref I have encountered in youth soccer has handled it the way I mentioned. It also seems to be a no no at the higher levels, i.e. you only really see substitutions made on your restart opportunities or at the same time the opponent makes a substitution. I just assumed this was part of the games laws governing substitutions. But in reading the 2019-2020 laws, it only says the ref has to be notified first and acknowledge the substitution is occurring so he can halt play...then it goes into how the procedure actually happens (where they changed the rule about going off at the nearest out of play spot vs having to go the the technical area directly).

Congrats. My daughter will officially move to TSC on Sunday when she plays in Dallas with them. She’s excited. Her mom and I are sad to leave our friends. Look me up if your ever out there when the 2010 girls are training.
Were you out there last night with Tina's group? We were there...she was actually on our field we were supposed to train on. We ended up moving to a different field at main and scrimmaging the 02/03G NPL side. Our boys are hit or miss on their focus but played well last night. Usually if they are fresh they are pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Yes. We were there. Was your son the keeper taking shots on the west goal of that field during the beginning of our training ,

Were you out there last night with Tina's group? We were there...she was actually on our field we were supposed to train on. We ended up moving to a different field at main and scrimmaging the 02/03G NPL side. Our boys are hit or miss on their focus but played well last night. Usually if they are fresh they are pretty good.

Yes. We were there. Was your son the keeper taking shots on the west goal of that field during the beginning of our training ,[/QUOTE]
No. We ended up moving out to field 6 and his team did a little training on the south side before doing the mini scrimmage session. We would have arrived just before 7 and the boys actually went to field 7 but that group was going to full field scrimmage, so we moved to 8 where we were supposed to be but Tina's group (with Shane Chambers as well) was on the south side of that field and Donny was on the north side and our coach wanted to get things started and didn't want to wait, so he moved to 6. The field assignments/mgmt of that aspect is a nightmare right now because coaches will change their practice days/times and just show up and grab an empty section of field and then it just pushes everyone all over the place.

The boys played well in their scrimmage last night and without 2 of the better players. As I said, starting 11 will be very good...we will have 2 subs come in who can really play. We have 1 kid who has a growth deficiency (my 8 year old is taller and weighs more) who has probably the highest soccer IQ on the team, a deft touch, and is pretty dang tenacious, but he gets knocked off the ball so easily and lacks the strength to create enough power behind his shots. The last 2 will struggle to see the field much. One of them is a pretty smart player and works hard and may be able to improve and see the field more. Last player is difficult to project. He doesn't seem very interested for whatever reason.

Yes. We were there. Was your son the keeper taking shots on the west goal of that field during the beginning of our training ,
No. We ended up moving out to field 6 and his team did a little training on the south side before doing the mini scrimmage session. We would have arrived just before 7 and the boys actually went to field 7 but that group was going to full field scrimmage, so we moved to 8 where we were supposed to be but Tina's group (with Shane Chambers as well) was on the south side of that field and Donny was on the north side and our coach wanted to get things started and didn't want to wait, so he moved to 6. The field assignments/mgmt of that aspect is a nightmare right now because coaches will change their practice days/times and just show up and grab an empty section of field and then it just pushes everyone all over the place.

The boys played well in their scrimmage last night and without 2 of the better players. As I said, starting 11 will be very good...we will have 2 subs come in who can really play. We have 1 kid who has a growth deficiency (my 8 year old is taller and weighs more) who has probably the highest soccer IQ on the team, a deft touch, and is pretty dang tenacious, but he gets knocked off the ball so easily and lacks the strength to create enough power behind his shots. The last 2 will struggle to see the field much. One of them is a pretty smart player and works hard and may be able to improve and see the field more. Last player is difficult to project. He doesn't seem very interested for whatever reason.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha. We would have been scrimmaging Shane’s team when you arrived. Tina has my daughter playing attacking center mid. She really likes the position thus far. Look me up next time you see us out there. I will likely be wearing slacks and a short sleeve Nike shirt (work attire). I’m 6’ by 175lbs.

. I will likely be wearing slacks and a short sleeve Nike shirt (work attire). I’m 6’ by 175lbs.
I'll be much shorter, clean shaven bald (by choice...mostly)...most of the time I'm wearing a Union or TU baseball cap. I'm usually carrying a chair and RTIC growler. Are you all scheduled to be out there on Thursday nights from 5:30-7? We are on the 7-8:30 rotation on Thursday (we do 5:30-7 on Tuesdays, field 6).

If your daughter is playing the attacking center mid, she has the rightful claim to the #10 jersey

I'll be much shorter, clean shaven bald (by choice...mostly)...most of the time I'm wearing a Union or TU baseball cap. I'm usually carrying a chair and RTIC growler. Are you all scheduled to be out there on Thursday nights from 5:30-7? We are on the 7-8:30 rotation on Thursday (we do 5:30-7 on Tuesdays, field 6).

If your daughter is playing the attacking center mid, she has the rightful claim to the #10 jersey

We practice every Tuesday and Thursday 5:30 to 7.

Yes...she plays the attacking center mid and will always have her sleeves tied up with hickies. She wears #48. She’s weird :).

Reactions: TU_BLA

Yes...she plays the attacking center mid and will always have her sleeves tied up with hickies. She wears #48. She’s weird :).
When my son first moved to TSC, he had been wearing #10 for a number of years when playing rec soccer. He asked his 1st coach for #10 when he moved over and the coach flat out told all the kids, no one gets #10 until they earn it. I liked that answer.

Then my kid moved to GK permanently and just removed the "0" from the number and kept 1...which he is now ready to fight people over. A field player wanted #1 this year but he is new to the team so he was told the # was already taken by a returning player.

We had 3 new kids total to the team. They all asked for #7, #9, #11...all of which were taken by returning players. #7 is Ronaldo (or Beckham). Not sure what the appeal was for #9 or 11 though.

Congrats on the move. If your daughter fills that hole for them that will help them a lot. Their defense is really good. A bunch of big, fast skilled girls but I don’t remember them having a bunch of scary attacking players. That sounds like a good fit. Congrats on the move.

Congrats on the move. If your daughter fills that hole for them that will help them a lot. Their defense is really good. A bunch of big, fast skilled girls but I don’t remember them having a bunch of scary attacking players. That sounds like a good fit. Congrats on the move.

Thank you. Her team won the 2009-2010 3v3 at Titan today. I’m ready for a shower and the couch. We meet up with the TSC team tomorrow am in Dallas for two games. What a weekend.

Thank you. Her team won the 2009-2010 3v3 at Titan today. I’m ready for a shower and the couch. We meet up with the TSC team tomorrow am in Dallas for two games. What a weekend.

Haha. 3v3’s are exhausting. Who are you guys playing in Dallas?

Lawpoke, my son's side scrimmaged the NPL side again last night. Lost 1-0 this time. A lot of improvement in just a couple of weeks and my son's side was without 2 of their best players. Defenders were better but need to really hammer the ball away when the situation calls for it. The lone goal came on a flubbed clear and an attacker that beat 3 defenders to end up 1 v 1 going against my son. This one got through. If I had to guess, my son probably had 8 legit saves last night including 2-3 in 1 v 1 situations. He had 1 highlight reel save on a hammered shot to the far post that he was able to get his fingers on and push just wide. Offensively the boys really moved the ball well. The R MF gave the NPL team fits all night as he ran past the defenders on that side with relative ease (unfortunately he doesn't have a left foot at all). There were several chances and I'd say my son's team controlled play most of the 1st half with several good attacks and chances. My son's coach is convinced that by the time the season starts this team will be better than the NPL team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT