ADVERTISEMENT

Youth soccer club

Fun to read all the soccer club/parent/coach interactions . I was in youth basketball in the early eighties when Tulsa had only ONE club (Tulsa Hawks) team of 10th and 11th graders that played nationwide. Things have come a long way in both sports.

Fun to read all the soccer club/parent/coach interactions . I was in youth basketball in the early eighties when Tulsa had only ONE club (Tulsa Hawks) team of 10th and 11th graders that played nationwide. Things have come a long way in both sports.
Yeah when i played rec soccer, ('77-'87) there was no 7 on 7, 9 on 9, for the young kids. I played 11 on 11 at 7 yrs old. And there was only two leagues, rec and classic. Classic was w/ tryouts and invitations.(better players) None of this blitz, energy, tsc, tsa, etc. It has most definitely developed into a market place.

Reactions: I.I.
We’re still waiting on word from Dallas regarding this weekends tourney. Can’t imagine we play considering the snow and ice currently on the fields but soccer in Dallas can be nuts at times. It’s a large tourney (25 U13 girls teams) so I’m sure they will do everything they can to play.

Edit: Tourney just cancelled

Last edited:
We’re still waiting on word from Dallas regarding this weekends tourney. Can’t imagine we play considering the snow and ice currently on the fields but soccer in Dallas can be nuts at times. It’s a large tourney (25 U13 girls teams) so I’m sure they will do everything they can to play.

Edit: Tourney just cancelled
I heard. Think our friends daughter on the FCL side was supposed to go down and play in it as well.

I also enjoy reading it. My son is super young and I like hearing it. When I played 20 years ago, there was only rec and competitive. Winning state and certain tournaments was everything

Now, everything is so tiered and there are so,so many different leagues. I think it speaks to the expansion of soccer but it is also confusing and a big disappointment.

At older levels, many local teams don't play each other because they play in different leagues. In Tulsa it isn't that way. Dallas it is because it is big enough. Those games would be awesome and extremely competive...blood baths with lots of cards, endless noise talking. Back in the day, there always 2-3 teams that were that way on each on the stat and a couple of the other side. You knew them on the other side too. You played them for years and HATED them too. You saw them in the semis or finals of state, which you sent you to regionals where every college coach was at.

Dallas is home to the best girls youth soccer in the country imo. They currently have 3 of the top 6 2010 teams in the country. Solar, FCDallas, Sting, DKSC, Texans are all top ECNL clubs and are all based in Dallas. Here in Oklahoma we are pretty much limited to the two ECNL clubs…Energy and TSC. WSA is making strides. They now have ECRL and are the largest club in Oklahoma. They just lack quality at the moment. OKC Cosmos and Blitz have competitive teams in certain age groups. All the comments are on the girls side. TU_Bla could give you the lay of the land on the boys side.

One last thing TU related. The 06 girls scrimmaged the 07 girls last week. TU coaches were there to watch. Thought their presence was a good sign.

Last edited:
Tom McIntosh's daughter is an 06. She might be on the RL team though. I wish I could take his cue and not "coach" from the sidelines...he is remarkably restrained for someone who could coach circles around the actual coach on the sideline.

WSA may be the biggest club in the state but it's sort of smoke and mirrors. The kids wear the WSA uniforms but they aren't getting the same resources the kids who are part of the original club in Sand Springs are getting. WSA made an all out power play to get ECNL (it's never gonna happen as I understand as TSC has what was explained as territory veto power; Blitz will have a similar struggle). WSA gobble up a bunch of small clubs throughout the state, Claremore, Ft. Gibson, Bethany, Enid, Sapulpa, etc. to look like they had a huge club and the resources to back ECNL.

As for boys clubs, it depends on what you want. The talent in Tulsa is pretty evenly spread out although I am pretty sure the boys ECNL teams at TSC would wipe the floor with their counterparts at WSA and Blitz. Energy is a different story as they have some really good players on their top teams.

TSC is a top dollar club. Right now they can't deliver a top $ experience because of the facility situation. Sad thing is no other club in Tulsa can deliver a quality facility as part of the competitive club experience. WSAs complex has issues and Blitz is playing games at Haikey Creek park on fields that have BMX style moguls and bumps on them. Coaching at all 3 is hit or miss. I do know most of the coaches at TSC know how to teach the game and at the youngest levels, they focus on technical skills a lot. At about age twelve you should see a shift to a tactical based training experience (not saying they don't continue with the technical stuff).

Last regular season OPL game yesterday in OKC. Lost 4-2 although my son actually played really well and made a bunch of strong saves and had a really good day with the ball at his feet as well as almost all of his distributions were spot on. 3 of the goals were on 1 v 1s as my sons defense struggled to slow their strikers down...kids that were just bigger and faster. The 4th goal was an own goal as they sent in a cross and the defender went to get a foot on it and poked it in.

My son stopped 2 3 v 1's...not sure what the defenders were doing but the other team started seeking glory and decided to shoot themselves instead of passing to wide open teammates. One sequence had my son make a tremendous save and then scramble to pounce on the rebound before the other team could. On a second sequence, my son cheated to the center on a 3 v 1 anticipating the centering pass, and he sniffed out the shot right off the toe of the kid, grabbed it and then sent his team away in a counter.

They play next week in the Highlanders Cup vs an Energy Team (shouldn't be a problem), Tulsa Nationals (didn't even know they still existed), and a WSA 05 team that is coached by a former TSC coach who coached half the kids on my son's team. Just looking at their rankings and results they aren't very good. The Nationals team is the mystery because I think my son's team can make the finals with result in that one but I don't even know what league they play in.

My daughter’s coach would stroke out if his back line were giving up 3-1s. Certainly a lot to ask of a goalie.

We’re playing U14 in TSC’s President’s Cup next weekend. Field looks decent. We have an Energy 08 team and TSC’s 09 ECRL squad among others in our bracket. We’ve handled that ECRL team fairly easily the last three times our but they have improved over the last few months. Should be a good matchup.

Some of the girls are playing in futsal regionals in two weeks in OKC. They’re playing in the 09 Boys division so a few beatdowns are expected. Playing with the boys makes them better though so I try to encourage it whenever the opportunity arises.

Good luck in the Highlander.

My daughter’s coach would stroke out if his back line were giving up 3-1s. Certainly a lot to ask of a goalie.

We’re playing U14 in TSC’s President’s Cup next weekend. Field looks decent. We have an Energy 08 team and TSC’s 09 ECRL squad among others in our bracket. We’ve handled that ECRL team fairly easily the last three times our but they have improved over the last few months. Should be a good matchup.

Some of the girls are playing in futsal regionals in two weeks in OKC. They’re playing in the 09 Boys division so a few beatdowns are expected. Playing with the boys makes them better though so I try to encourage it whenever the opportunity arises.

Good luck in the Highlander.
Good luck as well. After doing some digging, the Nationals team doesn't look great. Probably a decent team for whatever level of competition they normally play.

I think I know some girls on that 09 RL team.

His season will start around the 20th of this month. They're supposed to play in a preseason festival in Tahlequah but he's going to miss those games to attend a Scout banquet where he is being honored for achieving the Eagle award.

Initially he was told he would be one of the JV1 GKs and split time with a senior on that team. The senior will get most of the varsity backup duty (and not likely to see any action). But the coaches have reworked things. The varsity GK is the varsity GK, and the senior will back him up still but they've moved a FR to be the backup for JV1 and as my son put it, he's been told he won't play many minutes at all unless there is an injury or things get out of hand. My son and another SO will take the JV2 games and mostly split time. They were told the coaches wanted to do this to get them more minutes and against quality competition. Most of the games this JV2 team will be playing are against varsity squads from 5A and down. I know they have games against Edison(V) who finished runner up to BK last year in 5A, Glenpool, Poteau, Rogers, Regent Prep, Holland Hall, Metro Christian, Oologah, Tahlequah. They do have actual JV games scheduled against Owasso and Bishop Kelley which is good because he knows a bunch of kids on those teams. Bummer is this squad is not scheduled to play vs BA or Jenks and most of his club teammates play for those two schools.
Things always change though so we'll see. The senior GK has had injury issues in the past (he's broken the same finger 4-5 times apparently).

We'll see what Union does as a whole. They lost a lot of offensive production from last year but return every defender plus one, and they've got 2-3 Sophomores who look poised to take the scoring mantle. And from what I've seen so far is the forwards are incredibly skilled technically and creative when sharing the ball and setting up opportunities. They will need to put more shots on frame though. As always Union, BA, and Jenks are prohibitive favorites to win the state championship. You'll see teams on the west side with great records but when it gets to the playoffs it's easy to see they just don't play the same type of soccer. Maybe Edmond Memorial has a chance. Broken Arrow has a new coach who came over from BTW. I wasn't a fan of his style last year but that may have been forced based on what he had. BA is deeper and has players all over. Jenks has some quality but I don't know what they've lost and their coach seems to take some new players based on who they are and not necessarily their quality of play. I've heard this from several parents who have boys who made the team but know of other players who didn't and can't figure out how they were left off considering some of the other players who made the team. Maybe it's a position overload thing but they think it's other reasons.
Which high school team is your son on?

Which high school team is your son on?
Union. Unlike most of the large 6A schools, Union doesn't have a traditional 9th grade team and then moving to a JV team. At first he was told he would play the regular JV team and share time with the senior GK there, but the coaches decided they want the senior to play more since he's never going to see the field for varsity (not because he's a bad GK but Coach Wilson just doesn't sub his starter GK out). So my son and another SO GK will play on the JV2 team which is mostly FR and SO. The FR GK will back up the SR on JV1 but has already been told not to expect much if any playing time (and TBH, I think the only reason they took him is he was the only GK who tried out with the incoming FR and they like to have 1 per class...he's got a lot of work to do to get to a playing level with what Union expects...trust me on this). Union is a pretty young squad overall. The starting GK is a junior but he's been the starter for 2 years. Super athletic. He's on the short side though 5'10" and only if you count the mop of red hair. I think my son is taller than he is now. Lots of junior starters on the varsity team and most of them were starters last year as well. There will be 2 sophomores who play a ton in the MF and up top....super talented kids. And Coach Wilson cut a starter earlier this year because he wasn't pulling his weight in the classroom...and basically that is the only thing that will get you cut at Union along with being a bad teammate. Once you make the team, you're on it as long as you want to be a part of the program and you take care of business in the classroom. Union doesn't make everyone tryout every year (I know at least Jenks and BA make their kids do that) just players new to the program.

As for what type of season Union can have....it depends on whether or not they can score. The defense returns all 4 starters and they were pretty darn good last year. The 6 returns and as my son puts it, the 3 MFs play more like they're all 8s. They'll be pretty deep at MF and F and they've got some decent depth at D. BA will be good but they are breaking in a new coach and lost a ton of SRs off their state championship team last year. My guess is the coach there will start the wrong GK as they have a SO who is phenomenal and better than the kid who played last year (who is a JR this year). Jenks has a plethora of keepers as well and they're always solid. They struggled at times last season adapting to life without Will Edwards. I know a lot of the FR and SO players but I don't expect them to play varsity this season. Outside of those 3, I don't anticipate but 1 team from the west side to really challenge for the state championship in 6A. I think Edmond Memorial has a lot of talent in their program.

My son's club team played in the Highlander Cup this weekend in Bixby...more so to just get in some games since this age group doesn't have a Spring season b/c of HS soccer. Team went 3-0 in pool play and made the finals. Lost to Blitz 1-0 in the finals in a really really well played game. My son gave up 3 goals in 4 games with a shutout over a WSA 05 team. By his own admission he gave up a bad goal in the 1st game when he punched (more like slapped) a corner away and in hindsight he should have caught it. Ball went to an attacker outside the box who hit a shot past my son, and about 4 defenders who all watched it into the goal. His team went on a run to score about 5 goals in 12 minutes to win going away. Game 2 vs Tulsa Nationals (didn't even know they were still fielding teams) was another 6-1 win but TSC team conceded the first goal of the game on a quick counter where the defenders just got caught napping and left a kid wide open on the wide side and the kid hammered a nice shot into the upper corner short side. About 2 minutes later they had another breakaway and my son stuffed the kid 1 v 1 and about 2 minutes later, TSC tied the game at 1 on a PK. My son made about 2 more saves that game and the TSC kids ran away with it. This game was one that maybe could have gotten out of hand and chippy except for the fact that each team was playing with about 5-6 Union HS players each. The game actually ended up being a good natured game despite the lopsided score. Game 3 vs the WSA 05 boys and the noticeable size and speed difference between 05s and 06s is remarkable (especially when the majority of 06s are born October or later and still hitting their growth spurts). The WSA keeper was about 6'2" and rangy. He was also their best player. In one sequence he leaped over one of the TSC players and reached up and snagged a cross 1-handed, OBJ style. I looked at my son and asked him if he could do that :) The TSC 06 team was far more technical than the WSA team and as my son put it, they only had one shot towards him and it went over the goal.

The final vs Blitz 06 Premier was a tough game. Since there was an 05 team in the bracket, 06 teams were allowed to use 05 guest players. We used 2 who played on the 05 FCL team my son's coach also coaches. Blitz had 3 of their 06 EA players, and at least 2 05 players. I don't think the 05 players had much of an impact. 2 of the EA players were ridiculous. 1 scored the lone goal on a nice individual play and with the defender draped on him, he hit an upper 90, near post. The kid has scored a few times against us this year...but he is still the only Blitz player to score against my son's team this year. The #6 MF, also an EA player...I don't know where he plays in HS, but he is a starting varsity player for sure. Ridiculously good with the ball at his feet and a great distributor of the ball...think DeBruyne minus the gargantuan size (and of course relative to age and development). The entire 2nd half was about the goalkeepers. The Blitz goalkeeper made 2 1v1 saves, made an absolutely ridiculous save on a play he had taken himself out of by being out of position. Not sure how TSC player didn't just touch it into the back of the seemingly open net, which the rebound was then put into the outside of the net. He made one more really stellar save. I've seen him play a few times and this was easily the best he's ever played. My son stopped #6 on a 1 v 1, and then stopped him again when he was trying to slot a pass to the top of the box. He also made this ridiculous save late in the game where the goal scorer made a nice move and got deep and then hit a really nice cross the box pass for a one timer that my son somehow smothered.

My son was named his team's MVP for the game. He had a good weekend. I didn't even mention his distribution which was really good this weekend sending his team on breaks. He didn't put many distributions into trouble and many times he was dropping them on the toes of his teammates whether it was a 10 yd roll out or pass from feet, or hitting a 50 yd goal kick. It's funny how much you can tell about a GK, how they've been trained, etc. just from whether or not his team plays the ball back to him to get things restarted. This is not an easy thing as there is a lot of communication needed and a lot of trust needed.

It was a good weekend for this group. They played well and dominated against the lesser competition and played really well against a team that was probably slightly better in some key positions. On top of that, a couple players who had been struggling (they are the younger, smaller, not as strong or fast, kids) really played up to the competition and athleticism this weekend.

Congrats to your son. Sounds like he and the team played well against some good competition.

Our competition wasn’t near as good at the Presidents Cup. Ended up playing TSC 09 RL, NEO top 08, Sporting 10, and Energy #2 10s. No game was closer than 3 goals.

Happy to be outside playing but I’m not sure how much the weekend prepared us for what’s coming over the next two month in Texas. We did get accepted to the Dallas Cup in April so the girls are excited to participate….or miss 3-4 days of school.

Congrats to your son. Sounds like he and the team played well against some good competition.

Our competition wasn’t near as good at the Presidents Cup. Ended up playing TSC 09 RL, NEO top 08, Sporting 10, and Energy #2 10s. No game was closer than 3 goals.

Happy to be outside playing but I’m not sure how much the weekend prepared us for what’s coming over the next two month in Texas. We did get accepted to the Dallas Cup in April so the girls are excited to participate….or miss 3-4 days of school.
I was the AR for a couple of the games over the weekend for some 7v7 age groups in the President's Cup. Out of the 4 games that were happening while I was there, 7 of the 8 teams were TSC teams. In the 2 games I AR'd there was a younger TSC academy team playing an older competitive team. The younger teams held their own and the amount of technical skill I saw from them was impressive. They couldn't hang with the bigger, faster and more experienced players on the other teams though. And thank God the parents were pretty chill. I screwed up an offside call b/c I had no idea that at those young age groups, you could only be offside from the attacking side of the build out line to the goal line. Luckily the call was close enough that the center acknowledged and let it stand. Not as much running for ARs in those games but it is a good place to learn how to see the game, follow plays and positioning, and start to pick up clues on throw ins and corners. The pace is really slow though and that was the hardest thing. One of the other ARs just blurted out "this game is boring" right after we were done. It was her first game as well (her older brother was the center for that game and did a nice job).

Odd thing, I met an older gentleman who does all sorts of games in the area. He had asked me to leave a game in the Fall as an AR because I got into a verbal spat with a parent from the other team who was laughing at an injured player. We met on Saturday. On Sunday he was the center ref for my son's finals game. I disagreed with many calls as the game seemed lopsided in terms of fouls given and there were many awarded for what I would call as diving. Some of these Blitz players went down so easily I wasn't sure if it was the contact or the wind. One point late in the game, as the ball is going out of bounds and the Blitz player was under pressure, he kicked it about 80 yards and 2 fields over and I asked if he was going to add time for their blatant time wasting and he said "No and if you open your mouth again you can leave". The AR on the parent's side was right in front of me and he just said "this dude is ridiculous sometimes". As the season picks up, I hope to pick up some more games.

Reactions: lawpoke87

And good luck at Dallas Cup. That tournament is ridiculous and one of the best in the world. I don't know if they still anticipate the international teams like they used to get but I know my friend from Dallas said when he played in it they played some team from Spain and another from Mexico. He mentioned they would get teams from South America at times too. Not sure what the age group was, probably a bit older, but I wonder with COVID if they still expect the international sides to come.

A number of European based teams have applied and been accepted. Same for central and South America. They haven’t published an official list of participating teams yet so I have no clue how many if any will actual show up. Looking forward to seeing and playing the best. We have no misconceptions and expectations are where they should be :).

Anyone who has been in youth soccer for any amount of time has dealt with refs and power trips. I swear they officiated so for a few hours every week they can feel what it’s like to have power and authority over others. Some border on ridiculous. Unfortunately, we are so short handed when it comes to officials there’s not much the clubs can do. It is what it is.

My son played his 1st HS game yesterday for Union's FR/So team against BAs FR team. They were supposed to play a 2nd game vs Stillwater later on but Stillwater bailed b/c of the cold. My son played the 1st half and didn't give up a goal and his distribution was spot on which has become a weapon for the teams he plays on. Fr GK played the 2nd half and gave up a really bad goal. BA has a giant FR GK but I've seen football OL with better feet. BA wins 1-0.

BA varsity and Union varsity played a full time preseason game that won't count for standings. Tied 1-1. BA used a sophomore GK the entire game. My son trains with him regularly in their GK group. He's good but nothing special and there's actually a bunch of things my son does better. This kid actually quit BAs team last year thinking he should be playing on varsity and not the FR team. Remember BA won a state championship with a So GK last year. (I think he might actually be hurt and recovering from a knee injury). BA has another So GK who I think might be better than both of those GKs. He didn't see the field yesterday. If I were BA parents, I'd be concerned about the new coach and the style he plays. It's very direct and a lot like 11 and 12 year old soccer where you play the ball over the top and hope to get one of their forwards free. I've also noticed that BA has a giant team. Last year several of their starters were relatively small but quick and skilled. New coach is trotting out a basketball starting lineup. They're big (except the GK who is about 5'7").

Union is really skilled and very technical on the ball. They build out of the back and work the ball until they can find an opening. They really gave BA all sorts of trouble outside and pressuring the outside defenders. Union did lack the final pass and finishing you would hope for when you get to the box as many times as they did.

I would expect both of these teams to be in the mix for the championship at the end of the year. If teams scout BA, pressure the ball in the defensive 1/3 and bracket the big 9 and you should do OK.

Next game for my son is vs Metro Christian varsity on Tuesday night at Metro Christian...8pm for anyone wanting to check things out

Anyone who has been in youth soccer for any amount of time has dealt with refs and power trips. I swear they officiated so for a few hours every week they can feel what it’s like to have power and authority over others. Some border on ridiculous. Unfortunately, we are so short handed when it comes to officials there’s not much the clubs can do. It is what it is.
My goal is to help teach the game to kids even as a referee. Biggest misconception out there is a tackle shouldn't be called a foul if the defender "gets" the ball. Getting the ball isn't the end all be all in that situation. For instance, and I saw this called the other day, you cannot go through an opponent to get to the ball. You may get the ball on your tackle, but it's after you've unfairly contacted the opponent. You always see guys pointing to their shoulder after checking an opponent off the ball. Sure you used your shoulder, but you placed it squarely in the back of your opponent.

Referees (and VAR) need to do a better job of explaining their calls. Everton was livid the other day that a penalty was not awarded for a handball by Man City. Well, the attacking Everton player who initiated the sequence was offside thus negating everything after it. The offside was not called by the AR so when the VAR reviewed the handball, it also reviewed the sequence leading to it. Everton argued the next 10 minutes about it....why the ref just didn't stop a second and tell Everton that the player who took the shot that led to the handball was offside when he received the ball prior to shooting.

Great explanation regarding slide tackles. It’s always struck me how few girls slide. I can probably count on two hands the number at TSC who do it consistently and well. Coaches just don’t teach the skill to girls. My daughter’s trainer told us years ago he trains girls and boys the same. Thus she learned to slide. Practiced it over and over. Haven’t seen anything which intimidates girls more than a slide tackle. Probably because they don’t see them.

Great explanation regarding slide tackles. It’s always struck me how few girls slide. I can probably count on two hands the number at TSC who do it consistently and well. Coaches just don’t teach the skill to girls. My daughter’s trainer told us years ago he trains girls and boys the same. Thus she learned to slide. Practiced it over and over. Haven’t seen anything which intimidates girls more than a slide tackle. Probably because they don’t see them.
Slide tackles are hard to teach and I know coaches who don't think defenders should use them except in dire emergencies because it typically takes the defender out of the play....and if you miss, you put your team at an extreme disadvantage. I would say there are only 2-3 players on my son's U16 team who slide tackle...and only 1 of them should be (form and timing). And you'd better be extra careful in and around the penalty area. The penchant for taking a dive (which I will also coach kids not to do as a referee) is way too prevalent these days and too many referees are quick to reward a kid for going down. PKs should only be awarded if the foul/infraction put the attacker at a disadvantage and prevented them from an attack on goal. Too many players play for the foul and PK (see Neymar, Mbappe, the entirety of Man City's lineup...pretty sure that in the next summer games, England will be trotting out a combo of Gabriel DeJesus, Phil Fodden, and/or Raheem Sterling as their pairs diving combo). I notice it in the youth game as well. My son's team won't go down in the box. If they go down it's because they were taken down. I think they've had 1 PK in their favor all season. And there have been some pretty questionable tackles in the box. The last team we played in OKC, (NW SC Crew)...kids flopping in the box every time they had the ball in the box and a defender near them. EVERY TIME. Thankfully the ref didn't call a foul and reward the flopping. Their parents were up in arms because everyone thinks that any time someone goes down in the box that it should be a PK.

Union JV2 beats Metro Christian Varsity 3-0 last night. My son played the 2nd half which was eventful for him as Metro Christian pushed 8 forward and pressed hard coming out of halftime down 2-0. My son got a few touches with his feet and had 1 punch out but nothing really in terms of saves for SOG. MC did have one shot off a post that would have absolutely beaten my son or any other GK had it been inside the post. This was a cracker from 25 yards, nice bend to it and labeled upper 90 but for about 5 inches. Union just had more horses even though they got dinged through the game. 1st and 3rd goals were the types that coaches dream of because of how the ball was worked up the field and moved to the open person. 2nd goal caught the MC GK napping and way to far off his line. Probably a high looping shot from 30 yards. Ironically, this was the GK my son beat out at TSC last year (they're friends). There were a couple kids at MC that my son plays/has played with.

Next up is a game next Tuesday vs Regent Prep varsity.

So my son got elevated to Union's JV1 team yesterday because the Sr. GK rolled his ankle. We were full on prepared to go watch JV2 play Regent Prep. They played Heritage HS from Rogers, AR. My son played the 1st half and didn't allow a goal. He's now played 3 halves of soccer for Union this year and hasn't conceded yet. His JV2 team actually had to play a full match vs Regent but did win 5-3 (this was a Fr/So game vs a varsity team).

He also backed up for varsity last night but that is usually him sitting on the end of the bench freezing since the starter never comes out unless he gets carded (which he has). Union won 4-0 and the game wasn't that close.

Union is having some personnel issues right now. Lots of players out with injury and lots out because of grades. The coaches try to release the rosters for games on the Sunday before and what they rolled out for their games yesterday was very different than what they sent out Sunday evening. Had kids playing JV1 at 3:30 and then travelling and playing JV2 at 8. I saw kids who were varsity starters not put on the roster last night...and I could only assume they had dings coach was trying to get healed up. There's a good chance my son will get to play JV1 again on Thursday as I overheard the Sr. GK say he was going to sit out this week and use Spring Break to get his ankle healed. My son would be playing Thursday regardless as JV2 is scheduled to play Thursday vs Owasso Varsity at 1:30pm and then vs Skiatook varsity at 4:30pm in a festival at Skiatook HS. I think he'd rather play in those games. The Union JV2 team is actually better than the JV1 team.

Congrats. Sounds like good things are ahead for him.

We spent the weekend playing in a Wichita tourney. Four team bracket with two bad teams and a very good Scott Gallagher team out of KC. Beat them in the finals in PKs. My kid made the clinching PK. Pretty special moment for her.

We’re in Austin next weekend to play two really good Lonestar 2009 squads. Looking forward to the competition.

Accepted team list for the Dallas Cup came out yesterday. 3 of the top 5 2010 teams in the country are playing. Going to be fun and a great intro to ECNL level soccer for the girls.

My son will be playing with the top JV1 team again this evening vs Owasso while his JV2 team will be in Skiatook for a game vs Owasso and Skiatook varsity. He should get to play the entire JV1 game as he is the only GK rostered. 5pm Union Soccer Complex for anyone who wants to take in a game. I'll be on top of the booth running the camera...pretty sure I'm going to freeze

Union JV1 beats Owasso JV 3-0. My son said he was bored and cold most of the game. I think a generous stat keeper would give him 1 save and it was the only time he touched the ball with his hands all game. His teammates did a nice job of possession yesterday and he was involved in some of that. Through 2.5 games of action, he and his team have yet to concede a goal.

JV2 lost 1-0 in their first game in Skiatook to another Owasso team (believe it was a JV team with some varsity players). They then went an won their 2nd game vs Skiatook Varsity 7-2. Off for about 10 days before returning to action March 22nd at Poteau (varsity). Not sure I want to make that 2 hr drive and then have to drive back. We'll see. Then they're at the Collinsville tournament the 24/25 of March.

Depending on the other GKs injury status, my son may get to play against BA JV on March 21st

Union JV2 2 Poteau Varsity 1. My son conceded his 1st goal of the HS season. It wasn't a cheapie either. Kid was able to slice through the D and hit a nice low rocket to the opposite side. My son did make 3-4 saves, intervened on a cross late, and also had to use his head on a pass back that was poorly executed. My son took a cleat to the forehead on that one. Don't think the referee saw it (BTW, how the hell does a varsity game get played with only 2 officials...it was brutal).

Back it at tomorrow in Collinsville as part of the Collinsville tournament. 2 games at least. 1st one vs Oolagah varsity at 2pm.

Collinsville Tournament 1st game Union JV Red vs Oologah varsity. Union wins 3-1. My son started in goal and gave up the lone goal against although the defense played way too casual in the back and turned the ball over just outside the box leading to the goal.

2nd game vs Tulsa Hale. 1-1 draw, Union advances on PKs. My son started and kept his sheet clean. Goal against was another turnover in the defensive 3rd. My son went in for the PK shootout. Both teams started 4 for 4. My son saved Hale's 5th attempt and then the last Union shooter iced the game. 2nd year in a row my son has come off the bench solely for the shootout and won the game.

tomorrow at 8 will be the finals vs Tulsa Rogers who pulled off 2, 1-0 upsets of Edison and Collinsville. Apparently the TPS schools are much improved this year.

It took me 10 hours to drive home from Austin on Sunday. I’ve never seen traffic like I saw between Austin and Dallas. First time playing in Austin. One of the best complexes I’ve seen.

Playing bad teams in KC this weekend. Not looking forward to the tourney. Dallas Cup brackets came out. Talk about a loaded tourney. “Tryouts” the first week of May.

It took me 10 hours to drive home from Austin on Sunday. I’ve never seen traffic like I saw between Austin and Dallas. First time playing in Austin. One of the best complexes I’ve seen.

Playing bad teams in KC this weekend. Not looking forward to the tourney. Dallas Cup brackets came out. Talk about a loaded tourney. “Tryouts” the first week of May.
Tryouts are a bit of a joke at TSC, especially on the boys side.

Is your team playing in the Emerald Cup in KC? That's a great tournament with a great complex. So much fun there last year...just didn't get to go this Spring because we've got a bunch of players tied up with HS soccer this weekend.

I was center for an OPC U12 game last weekend. OMG the parents. EVERY parent should be forced to ref one game and then realize they are THAT parent. One mom yells at me b/c I call a handball after the player puts her hands up to avoid being drilled in the face. She's like what do you want her to do, get hit? Coach comes unglued after we call GK for picking up a back pass. Says his defender wasn't trying to pass it back just clear it (this may have been true but we can't determine intent when calling a game). I've got 6 games this weekend. Let's hope my knees/ankles/groin hold out.

No, we are playing in the Next Gen Cup. Emerald Cup on the girls side is next weekend. We have FPL league games next weekend and are thus missing the TSC tourney.

Tryouts for the girls side are similar imo. Coaches have 80% of their teams chosen prior to tryouts from what I’ve seen. Since this is our first ECNL tryout, I’m expecting a number of girls from other clubs to attend. So that 80% number is probably a little high for us at least for this go around. Expecting coaching assignments to be announced anytime. We will have a new coach.

No, we are playing in the Next Gen Cup. Emerald Cup on the girls side is next weekend. We have FPL league games next weekend and are thus missing the TSC tourney.

Tryouts for the girls side are similar imo. Coaches have 80% of their teams chosen prior to tryouts from what I’ve seen. Since this is our first ECNL tryout, I’m expecting a number of girls from other clubs to attend. So that 80% number is probably a little high for us at least for this go around. Expecting coaching assignments to be announced anytime. We will have a new coach.
I'm assuming that's your daughter's team that TulsaSC posted on social media as having won the Next Gen Cup this weekend? Good stuff.

My son's team will play Route 66 this weekend. Considering they haven't played a game together and haven't had many practices as a group since February, it will be interesting. HS soccer really takes up a lot of weeknights and not everyone is one the same Tuesday/Friday schedule. For instance, Union's JV2 plays tonight and Wednesday which are the days his club team normally trains, so 4 boys will be missing from training this week.

I'm assuming that's your daughter's team that TulsaSC posted on social media as having won the Next Gen Cup this weekend? Good stuff.

My son's team will play Route 66 this weekend. Considering they haven't played a game together and haven't had many practices as a group since February, it will be interesting. HS soccer really takes up a lot of weeknights and not everyone is one the same Tuesday/Friday schedule. For instance, Union's JV2 plays tonight and Wednesday which are the days his club team normally trains, so 4 boys will be missing from training this week.
Yes, that was her team. Won the final 4-0. Just not a lot of competition for us in KC even playing a year up. That is about to change. We play Energy 09 and Lonestar 09 this coming weekend. Solar 2010 (5th ranked team in the country) comes to town the following weekend and then the Dallas Cup starts the following Weds. Going to see what the girls are made of.

I posted a short video of her on FB flying through a girl for a header in the finals. She’s a bit nuts.

Union JV Red played Will Rogers JV last evening. My son played the 1st half in goal for Union and had 2-3 saves, 1 of which was outstanding and helped to keep the game scoreless. He called for the defender to pass the ball back to him so they could reset...defender whiffed the pass and a Rogers F jumped on it and started walking in on goal. My son was already high because of the call for the pass so he stayed high to force the shooter to shoot early. He said he read the kids hips opening up so he made a guess he was going to his left and sure enough the kid tried to loft a shot over him and my son got his hand on it enough to keep it from going in and allow a scrambling defender to clear the ball out. Union's backline struggled in possession and moving the ball in a timely manner last night. Several Rogers' chances were a direct result of poor passes in the defensive end. You'd think the way I was talking that Rogers had the better of the game when in fact Union sort of dominated the game in possession and the better of the chances. They hit 2 crossbars and had a header hit the inside of the post straight to the keeper. The Rogers keeper was outstanding all night and he made a save in the last minute that was phenomenal coming off a headed goal kick. Unfortunately for Rogers they had an overzealous defender come in to clear a ball away and he ended up just absolutely destroying a Union attacker in the process and a PK was awarded with 30 seconds left. Union wins 1-0 (Union actually deserved to win, but I can't say the PK should have been awarded).

Rarity in that a JV game had 3 officials. OSSAA needs to mandate 3 officials for all OSSAA sanctioned contests. They can spin it as a safety issue and they wouldn't be wrong.

Union JV Red was supposed to play Wednesday vs Edison but Edison bailed for some reason. Union varsity in action tonight vs BTW at SE Williams. Friday @ Stillwater and next Tuesday at Enid.

Playing an 11v11 game without ARs sounds absolutely nuts. Assume I will see it when my kid hits 9th grade.

Playing an 11v11 game without ARs sounds absolutely nuts. Assume I will see it when my kid hits 9th grade.
2 man crews and they position themselves like basketball referees in 2 man crews. 22 legs and arms and 4 eyes trying to watch it all. Insane....and dangerous.

2 man crews and they position themselves like basketball referees in 2 man crews. 22 legs and arms and 4 eyes trying to watch it all. Insane....and dangerous.
Ahh. We’ve never played with a 2 man crew. Positioning makes sense.

Mandating 3 officials for JV? That is some funny stuff. Get more off . There aren't enough officials and there aren't enough officials for a number of:

1. almost all of these games have to be adults since kids are too young. Many very good ARs are younger. They play at a high level and are capable of being ARs for even the highest level youth matches (ECNL in OK).

2. Some officials don't do high school vs USSF/youth or adults.

3. There especially aren't enough officials in the non-metro areas to cover games. If they are in the area, their lack of knowledge about the game is limited at best or non-existent.

4. Travel to smaller outlying schools is not paid for. Some refuse to pay mileage. These can be 1-2 hour drives each way. Game ends at 10 or later if it goes to OT or gets now that OSSAA has said there must be a winner. You are talking getting home past midnight on a work day. It isn't worth it for the time and cost of driving. Some do it because it is sort of fun. Others say hell no. Limits the pool

5. JV games start early. Some are kicking off at 3pm. That takes away from people that work. Limits the pool

6. high school has a lot of really, really bad games. Some higher level officials who do college or USL games etc...will just decline them unless it is decent schools. Or they just don't do high school at all. Limits the pool

7. Some people just can't handle it. The abuse can be really high. There are just so many parents and fans that don't understand jack about competitive matches what is advantage or what is actually a foul. "That was an elbow!" (usually with a country ass accent). He is over his back on a header! that was a high kick! He is going cleats up! The kids don't even react because they understand but the parents are going nuts People have been chased out of stadiums by fans etc.. it isn't worth it for 50 bucks. Limits the pool

those are some of the bigger reasons.

I have noticed a remarkable improvement in officiating quality from U12 to U13 on the youth level. The ECNL/ECRL games my daughter has played along with the better tournaments have all been very well officiated down to the ARs. Parents also seem better behaved as the quality of competition increases. Hopefully the trend continues.

I have several friends who are “on call” to officiate in the Tulsa area. Their phones never stop ringing. Parents need to understand that officials are necessary for their kids to play the game and act accordingly.

Reactions: TU_BLA
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT