ADVERTISEMENT

Youth soccer club

I worry about him when he gets to teachers and classes that will require him to do a little investigation to learn the material. He doesn't study and I'm not sure he really knows how to. Math is natural for him. His struggle is he dislike writing, especially when it comes to creative writing. Ask him to do an analysis on reading, he's fine. If he has to come up with a story...struggle city. Hopefully as he progresses in HS the teachers will start challenging him more.
This is precisely why my parents sent me to TU. That and the fact that it was the mid-80’s and my father considered Nolan Richardson the moral conscience of the State of Oklahoma.

Last edited:
We got two games in Saturday. Neither went exceptionally well. The same big problem bit the team my son played for this weekend...they simply can't score despite good ball control and build up. Lost the 1st game 3-1 to a BVB team. The 1th two goals gains were simply brutal as the GK (not my son) allowed 2 balls to skip between his legs....one from a good 35 yards out. The 2nd one was a bit more difficult and closer but probably should have been saved. 2nd half my son played and gave up a goal within the 1st 5 minutes to go down 3-0. The 7 streaked up the left side absolutely torched the defender and got to the goal line at the 6 and then laid a really nice cross to the top of the 6 where the 10 hammered one in. My son said he got a touch but not enough. He did make a really nice decision to come off his line about 3 minutes later where the 10 was winning a footrace with our 4. My son said later he decided coming off his line and challenging further out rather than waiting for the 1 v 1 against him was a better option. He beat the kid and hammered a ball out over the touchline. I was a little shocked at the speed he showed off his line. His team then put one in a couple of minutes later to cut it to 3-1. They set up another great play where they found the 7 at the top of the 6 unmarked and he squibbed a ball over the bar. That was about 15 minutes left. He scores and makes it 3-2 and I think momentum would have helped find an equalizer.

Game 2 was a disaster. 1-0 down at half. My son gets in and the defense sort of fell apart. MFs weren't tracking back to help and the backline constantly found itself short 1-2 defenders to mark their attackers. 1st GA my son came off a header on a corner (this team was really big. 9 was probably 6'4" (at 14). They had about 3-4 more kids who were 6' and above and that really hurt us when challenging in the air. 2nd came off a free kick from 22 yds. Kid hit a ball that probably curved 3-4 ft around the wall and snuck inside the near post. Anyone who has played GK knows the GK positions himself midway between the end of the wall and the far post to take away the greater space. 3rd goal came off a deflected ball in front as my son was diving to cut it off. 4th was hammered to the near post from about 10 yards. It was a rough outing but I don't know if my son really would have been able to get to them. He did take a knock in the game...not sure how the kid didn't pick up a yellow. Ball is served in to the near side. My son meets it and catches it and immediately starts to spring to the opposite side (in one side, out the other) when he gets trucked by the 9. TSC team wasn't winning this game...they maybe had 2 shots the entire game...they simply didn't play with a ton of energy. We also played the game with 2 referees who butchered their positioning and how to run a game with only 2 officials.

3rd game on Sunday was canceled...because of the threat of rain at 2pm (we were supposed to play at 8am). I wouldn't recommend this tournament in the future. The competition was so so but the complexes and fields were just not great. I can't think of anyplace in Tulsa that we play that the fields and parking were this bad. Too bad as the actual field surfaces held up well despite the somewhat wet weather (never really rained but it was damp throughout the day Saturday). And tournaments simply need to insist that their hotel partners offer breakfast of some sort for the players/families there for tournaments. Our hotel wasn't located near anything either.

By the way, Southlake, TX is swanky. Almost thought I was going to get pulled over because I was driving my Toyota through a $1M neighborhood

This is precisely why my parents sent me to TU. That and the fact that it was the mid-80’s and my father considered Nolan Richardson the moral conscience of the State of Oklahoma.

I wasn't challenged till TU, for various reasons I attended several high schools. I took a year off after graduation and I did a year at a state school and transferred in so I had lots of experience in different places. The commitment needed to do well was definitely different and it showed in my understanding and application of the knowledge.

I was always a better than average writer, but I would say that my various high schools meant I had a grab bag of electives since some happened mid-semester or mid-year. I stumbled on a college preperation class because it was one of the only ones available. It was a crash course in basic essay writing, research and citation, as well as note taking and help with basic study techniques. It also had a speed reading and keyboarding portion to tell you how old I am. It didn't do much for me till TU but it in the end it was quite beneficial.

We had a good weekend at Moneygram. We went 4-0 including two wins over the top Sting team in Texas. First time I can remember going undefeated in a true gold level Dallas tournament.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
This weather has thrown things into disarray for us. Canceled Highlander Cup this weekend, no training sessions. Next week doesn't look promising for any activities either. Son is supposed to get his first action with Union in a festival atmosphere at Metro Christian next Saturday...that's in jeopardy. HS team hasn't trained since last Thursday.

We did get our OPC schedule...we'll see what happens.

We’re in the 2008 OPC division. Team is a 2010. Interested to see how that goes.

Last edited:
We got our OPC Schedule as well, but already have 5 games that need to be rescheduled (2 of which are sister teams). We are also playing in a league in Dallas and should get that schedule tomorrow.

Hopefully our coach can pull some strings and find us a court, the girls are going nuts with no practice.

We have futsal regionals this weekend in KC. That drive home on Sunday is going to be interesting.

We have futsal regionals this weekend in KC. That drive home on Sunday is going to be interesting.
I'm surprised they're even having it. So there's a TU alum living out by the airport with plenty of extra room in his house. :p

I'm surprised they're even having it. So there's a TU alum living out by the airport with plenty of extra room in his house. :p

Keep close to the board Sunday afternoon. Might need an address. We’ve been told they are re-working the schedule but the event is still a go. Crazy when you consider there are two teams from Oklahoma and one from Texas in our bracket alone.

I'm pretty sure all of our boys have forgotten what a soccer ball has looked like. My son has maybe left the house once in the last 10 days because of all the snow/ice. Union canceled scrimmages with Stillwater this week and postponed a Saturday scrimmage against Metro Christian to next Thursday (when it's supposed to be 70). They haven't practiced or even met in 2 weeks.

The good thing is, maybe with mostly everyone being homebound because of the snow that maybe we can kick most of this COVID thing to the curb.

We had a good weekend in KC and managed to win a weather shortened regionals. We are off this weekend and then back up in KC next weekend for The Border Battle which is outdoor.

OPC league starts March 6. We are playing 2008 Silver so league should be interesting playing two years up.

My son got his 1st HS experience (finally) after 2 weeks of delays and snow and postponements. And because of the reschedules for the JV team, his FR squad essentially scrimmaged the Union varsity group all last week. He was taking shots off of kids who signed college LOIs not long ago.
Union FR squad went to Tahlequah to play in a preseason festival. All the rest of the teams there were varsity squads (Tahlequah, EC, Hilldale, and Glenpool). 25 minute halves, 2referee crews (apparently this is a real thing for these types of preseason scrimmage tournaments).
1st game BA East Central. Union FR jumped out to a quick 1-0 lead. This group has a ton of speed through the MF and the outside. Unfortunately, the conceded a goal on a play that saw the CB miss on a header to clear and the other CB whiffed on getting his foot on the ball which resulted in a 1 v 1 against my son and the kid from EC had a nice finish to the far post. 2nd half- EC started exploiting a lack of speed and lack of experience on the back line. My son faced 3 breakaways which he stopped. One was really an excellent challenge. EC did score again on a wicked shot just inside the far post (actually clipped the inside of the post). My son told me later he thought he actually dropped too far down and ended up not having the right angle. He played pretty well all things considered and his decision making and distribution was spot on triggering 3 promising counter attacks.

my son didn’t play the 2nd game vs Tahlequah (there are 2 FR GKs). They lost that game 1-0. Noticed in this game the backs left way too much space between themselves and the outside backs are so itchy to get into the attack they forgot they were defenders first. In all it wasn’t a bad showing considering this was the first time most of these kids had to jump on a bus to travel to a game, manage their food intake before and in-between games. I think there were some nerves as well. They played a little frantic and out of control at times, something that affected their sharpness and something I hadn’t seen in the few practices and scrimmages I’ve been able to observe. My son said their coach told them the same thing after the games.
Next game Monday at Bixby. They get to play an actual FR team.

Reactions: lawpoke87
1st OPC game yesterday afternoon (beautiful day for soccer). My son's team lost 1-0 to a team that had been scoring 8 goals a game. The other team had 1 shot on goal via a PK (and the foul call was questionable and came after the AR missed an offside call...we can discuss the officiating later). The fields at Titan South are pretty much hard pan gravel so it's impossible to keep the ball rolling and on the ground. My son's team dominated pretty much every aspect of the game with the exception of being able to finish with goals.

We can start questioning how individuals become referees/ARs around here. Referee didn't know the rules about how long the game was supposed to be for this age group (the correct answer is 40 minute halves for U15s per the OPC web site and emails to coaches and managers). Kids got shorted 10 minutes of game time and for a game that was played mostly in my son's team's attacking half and only a 1-0 deficit, who knows what can happen in those 10 minutes. AR on the parent's side was consistently out of position as she kept aligning herself with the furthest attacker (not the defender)...how do you make that mistake? The coach was frustrated, the players were frustrated, the parents were frustrated.

We played in a tourney up in KC two weekends ago where the AR moved maybe ten yards the entire game. Never made a single call. Now he was a teenager but there was no reason for him to be there considering his effort or lack thereof. This was U12 Gold so it’s not U15 but I still expected better.

The Surf Cup in Phoenix was the best officiated event I’ve been to btw. Go figure.

We played in a tourney up in KC two weekends ago where the AR moved maybe ten yards the entire game. Never made a single call. Now he was a teenager but there was no reason for him to be there considering his effort or lack thereof. This was U12 Gold so it’s not U15 but I still expected better.

The Surf Cup in Phoenix was the best officiated event I’ve been to btw. Go figure.
I don't expect perfection from the officials, but I do expect effort and knowledge of the level they're calling. I handed the ref a game card that said "OPC U15 Boys" at the top. Once he saw that he should know "40 minute halves". ARs should be able to at least know they align themselves with the 2nd to last defender (last usually being the GK) OR the ball, whichever one is further towards the goal. I pointed out the left back for the OKC team was walking when he threw the ball in meaning his back foot was always off the ground during the throw...they called it twice immediately after it being pointed out but not again after that almost as if they had just given up that the kid wasn't going to do it right....sorry this isn't u8 soccer. The ref apparently told our coach that he knew the kid was offside on the leadup to the foul he awarded the PK for but that he "couldn't overrule the AR". Want to know why people get upset with officials? These are the reasons why. I'm all for kids getting ref licenses and earning money but whoever is teaching them and certifying them needs to make sure they empower them at the same time and that they're actually ready to call games at whatever level they're being assigned.

EDIT: The center ref for my son's JV game on Friday was no better. He let way too much clutching and grabbing go on and one kid ended up with a bloody nose and another kid got kicked in the calf as he was pulling away from the last defender....NO FOUL

I can live with bad calls as long as they aren’t one sided. Every time we play in Dallas against the local clubs (Solar, Texans, FC Dallas, Sting) we get consistently hosed. Don’t even get upset about it anymore because you know going in what it’s going to be. Sadly, those teams have enough quality they don’t need the help.

I can live with bad calls as long as they aren’t one sided. Every time we play in Dallas against the local clubs (Solar, Texans, FC Dallas, Sting) we get consistently hosed. Don’t even get upset about it anymore because you know going in what it’s going to be. Sadly, those teams have enough quality they don’t need the help.
I've learned to not get too crazy about the individual calls in a game. Simple throw in calls are not a big deal in the scheme of thing. I hate it when refs lose control of a game to where it devolves into a dangerous situation for the players. This game didn't get to that point but the ref not knowing how long the game was supposed to be means he shouldn't be out there.

And it's weird that it seems that whenever you play a team on the road, they get all the calls, but in Tulsa, when teams come to play TSC, they still seem to get all the calls.

I don't expect perfection from the officials, but I do expect effort and knowledge of the level they're calling. I handed the ref a game card that said "OPC U15 Boys" at the top. Once he saw that he should know "40 minute halves". ARs should be able to at least know they align themselves with the 2nd to last defender (last usually being the GK) OR the ball, whichever one is further towards the goal. I pointed out the left back for the OKC team was walking when he threw the ball in meaning his back foot was always off the ground during the throw...they called it twice immediately after it being pointed out but not again after that almost as if they had just given up that the kid wasn't going to do it right....sorry this isn't u8 soccer. The ref apparently told our coach that he knew the kid was offside on the leadup to the foul he awarded the PK for but that he "couldn't overrule the AR". Want to know why people get upset with officials? These are the reasons why. I'm all for kids getting ref licenses and earning money but whoever is teaching them and certifying them needs to make sure they empower them at the same time and that they're actually ready to call games at whatever level they're being assigned.

EDIT: The center ref for my son's JV game on Friday was no better. He let way too much clutching and grabbing go on and one kid ended up with a bloody nose and another kid got kicked in the calf as he was pulling away from the last defender....NO FOUL

High school does not have a enough referees and has a weird group of officials. The pay is relatively low and many of the people that would be better ARs for USSF games that are older high school kids or in college are younger are busy and unavailable .

Often times, the games, especially JV, are too early for working people to get to so it really, really reduces the pool of officials.

Right now, a whole bunch of college officials are not doing high school games because the seasons are overlapping.

honestly, there are a ALOT of really, really, really, really :crap: games in high school even in 6A. When you start getting into JV and lower grades, upper level officials will just decline games because they aren't interested.

High school does not have a enough referees and has a weird group of officials. The pay is relatively low and many of the people that would be better ARs for USSF games that are older high school kids or in college are younger are busy and unavailable .

Often times, the games, especially JV, are too early for working people to get to so it really, really reduces the pool of officials.

Right now, a whole bunch of college officials are not doing high school games because the seasons are overlapping.

honestly, there are a ALOT of really, really, really, really :crap: games in high school even in 6A. When you start getting into JV and lower grades, upper level officials will just decline games because they aren't interested.
On Tuesday, Union and Owasso hooked up for some games. Girls JV game was played with 1 ref. The boys JV game was played with a 2-man crew. The 3 that did those games then called the varsity girls and varsity boys games that night as well. Honestly, they called fine games but how can you expect these refs to call 3 games in a night? It’s too much.

On Tuesday, Union and Owasso hooked up for some games. Girls JV game was played with 1 ref. The boys JV game was played with a 2-man crew. The 3 that did those games then called the varsity girls and varsity boys games that night as well. Honestly, they called fine games but how can you expect these refs to call 3 games in a night? It’s too much.

Sure. Go find more refs.

Referee abuse is a real thing. People don't want to go out there for 40 bucks and told they are a pile of :crap: for 3 hours and potentially be attacked. It does happen. Personally, I find it hilarious most of the time. Many people cannot handle it.

Headed to KC this weekend for Emerald Cup. Should be interesting as most of the kids on the team haven’t touched a ball in 3 weeks between the rain and Spring break.

That said, my son is playing in a soccer tournament tonight and tomorrow with Union. His FR team beat 2 varsity teams tonight (4-0 vs Hale, and 1-0 over Tahlequah in PKs). My son wasn’t in goal vs Tahlequah UNTIL the PK shootout. Son saved 2 of the 4 PKs against him. They play for the Championship tomorrow night vs Collinsville.

So really weird and long weekend of soccer. As I said, he played 2 games on Thursday in a HS tournament. After the game he was told he was dressing for the varsity game at Holland Hall on Friday evening, so he didn't get to play with his FR team in the finals of the Collinsville tournament (they won 3-0 over the Collinsville varsity team). I believe the Union FR team might be better than the Union JV1 team. He dressed with the varsity on Friday vs Owasso (HH tournament semi). Union won 2-0. My son didn't play but it was good for him to be on the bench and hear the coaching and going through a typical varsity game day from team meal to warm ups, etc. Union beat Holland Hall on Saturday for the championship but we were in KC.

Emerald Cup- 1st game. Son's team wins 1-0. They only had one shot on goal and it just happened to be a PK. My son had 4 saves but nothing really crazy or insane. His team played one of their best games of the season really controlling the ball. While they generated lots of chances, this team doesn't like to pull the trigger on shots. 2nd game on Saturday started at 9:45pm. Again the team played really well in possession and creating chances. The opponent scored 1st completely against the run of play as a central defender made a mistake with a bad giveaway and with other defenders out of position a nice slotted pass across the goal to an open attacker. My son's team equalized a few minutes later on poos distribution from their GK. 7 took the ball and worked it in about mid box on the left side and hit a nice cross to the top of the 6 where the smallest player on the field hit a nicely flipped side foot chip over the GK who had left his line. (This kid is 14, shorter and weighs less than my 9 year old....he is a phenomenally skilled soccer player with a high soccer IQ as well. His stature hurts against big players as they can easily move him off the ball...but he put several kids on skates on Saturday). Late in the 2nd half, my son's team had a chance to go up 2-1 when their GK again made a mistake in clearing the ball and it went directly to the 7 at the top of the box, 1 dribble and a left footed shot that had the bottom corner pegged and the GK came from nowhere to make a remarkable save (also hitting his head on the post...another story for a different thread maybe). With about 10 minutes left you could see the mental fatigue set in on my son's team. It was 11pm by this time. There were a couple of mistakes in the back that out my son under pressure but no great chances. In the last minute, a bad giveaway and 2 defenders who couldn't decide who was taking the ball ended up in a 2-0, the ball gets passed to the middle of the box, my son makes a mad dash and blocks the shot and then he gets trampled, ball is free at the top of the box and the ball gets put into the net....but the ref's whistle blew before the shot. The ref called a foul and point to the spot....and then he pointed to the center circle...and then he gave the ball to my son. Apparently he called the attacker for a foul for laying on top of the GK and not letting him up. But his mechanics were awful and thus led to a lot of confusion and upset players and upset parents. My son took the FK and the whistle blew to end the game. At this point, my son's team was in 1st place in the bracket. We didn't get back to the hotel until 11:45 and we had our lights out by 12:00am. Not ideal for 14-15 year olds trying to compete at a high level.

Next day we play a Sporting Blue Valley team. They got some homecooking with the officiating. And they talked a lot of smack for a team that lost their 1st game and had a 0-0 tie in their 2nd game. At one point one of them started jawing with one of our parents who told him to watch his mouth (he was cussing out the ref)...a parent from their sideline then told the kid to "just shut up and play". We have a 9 who is about 5'11" and 225 pounds. He played DL for the Bixby FR football team this past fall. He doesn't get pushed around or knocked over very often. After they realized once he got the ball, they weren't taking it from him, they started whacking at his ankles in their tackle attempts. He also got bull dozed from behind after he had passed the ball away. Never got a call. Other team got several foul calls in the attacking zone for minor shoulder to shoulder bumps and such. We had several chances at the start of the game but nothing that ever created too much worry for their GK. Their 1st chance ended up being a PK against my son. My son stopped the attempt pretty easily and then smothered the loose ball. Their next chance resulted in a goal after my son came out to challenge the 1 v 1 attempt and he got a piece of the shot but the rebound got left in the middle of the box...and there wasn't a defender in sight. Second goal came off a corner kick (immediately after a really nice save from my son to tip the ball over the bar). The ball skipped off the defender's head into my son who wasn't able to control it and the rebound tapped in). My son probably had a good 8 saves in this game. I asked my son what the coach told them at half time and he said to pull your heads out and stop playing tentative. They did come out in the 2nd half and played really well generating a number of good chances, just not able to find the back of the net. This game got really chippy as well and the ref sort of lost control. They scored one more goal on another defensive break down. TSC lost 3-0. 3 teams finished tied for 1st with 4 pts. We lost out on the GD. Had we lost 1-0 it might have ended up being a really interesting tie break scenario.

The coach was pleased with the overall play of the weekend. He commented he might give them 2 weeks off before every tournament (the team hadn't practiced for 2 weeks because of Spring break and field closures due to weather.) If this team could find someone to finish they'd be really dangerous as it is really good in keeping the ball and working it into the attacking 1/3. And all the boys now know what turf burn is. The Scheel's Overland Park Soccer Complex is fantastic. All turf fields, all lighted, and despite the number of teams playing, parking and getting in and out of the complex was a breeze. I am now taking donations to get something similar built in Tulsa. Maybe BOK or Mike Case will help us fund it and get it built. I can't understate the number of out of town teams that come to tournaments like this. Hell, I think half of TSC and half of the Blitz boys teams were here this weekend (this was a boys only weekend, the girls tournament is coming up). TSC runs some very large tournaments and if they had a complex like this and then got some of the local HS' with turf complexes on board (Union, BA) , they could probably grow their tournaments. Titan is awful....there is no grass on most of the fields at Titan South and teams who pay $1200 to come play in a showcase event and end up there won't ever be back.

We’ve been to three turf complexes in the KC area. All are fantastic facilities. Heck.. even Wichita has a large turf facilities.

We played up in KC this weekend as well in the Sporting KC Next Gen Cup. The girls played fantastic in the 2009 Gold Div (we’re a 2010 squad). We went 4-0 and beat the top 2009 Sporting KC team 5-0 in the final.

We start our 11v11 era next week in league play. Looking forward to the extra space and watching the girls use their skill and speed on the big field. Looks like my daughter will be the starting 6. Should suite her well.

We played in the Next Gen cup as well in the 2010 Silver division (we are a 2011 team) and came in second. Lost in PK's to TSC 10 Black. Black tied it up with a few minutes left on a BS call from what I am told. We will play them in league play this year and look forward to hopefully better officiating.

We played in the Next Gen cup as well in the 2010 Silver division (we are a 2011 team) and came in second. Lost in PK's to TSC 10 Black. Black tied it up with a few minutes left on a BS call from what I am told. We will play them in league play this year and look forward to hopefully better officiating.

I was on the sidelines for your game as we had an hour wait between our third game and finals and I have a friend whose daughter plays on your team. I thought there were a number of “iffy” calls in that game including the one you’re alluding to. Your girls played well and from what I heard dominated their bracket. No shame in losing to an older team.

My daughter was the one it was called on. I wasnt there (stayed in town for my sons soccer game and 3 baseball games), but heard it wasnt good. In pool play they scored 20 goals with 0 against. They are a good team and are hard to stop when playing their age group. Im just hopeful they can continue to stay together. There are a lot of rumors going around on coaching changes.

TSC teams are suppose to get new coaches every two years or so. I know the club has been lax on the rule of late. Joao coaches my kid in futsal. He’s a lot of fun.

TSC teams are suppose to get new coaches every two years or so. I know the club has been lax on the rule of late. Joao coaches my kid in futsal. He’s a lot of fun.
Speaking of changes in coaches. I’ve heard a rumor that the WSA academy program is basically dying as they were sure they would be approved as an ECNL club on the girls side this upcoming year. That did not happen and now a lot of the coaches who left TSC last year are quitting and girls are leaving. I spoke to a dad about that this weekend. His son plays on my son’s team and his daughter was an 05 or 04. And recently Soccer Weekly just named TSC a top 100 club nationally for both boys and girls (and the highest rated club in Oklahoma).
Honestly I wish there was some stability in the clubs between the area. All the movement back and forth between coach’s which subsequently ends up with masses of players moving is actually killing the development of the players. Not having the continuity in terms of teams really shows.
TSC just added the ECRL platform for boys in hopes of luring more players to the club. It will be interesting to see if it works.

Those coaches were foolish if they believed WSA would get an ecnl bid imo. WSA simply lacks the quality. Ecnl did offer WSA an ecrl bid on the condition they would drop out of GA. WSA saw the writing on the wall with GA and accepted.

Still some dominoes yet to fall regarding clubs and platforms.

Those coaches were foolish if they believed WSA would get an ecnl bid imo. WSA simply lacks the quality. Ecnl did offer WSA an ecrl bid on the condition they would drop out of GA. WSA saw the writing on the wall with GA and accepted.

Still some dominoes yet to fall regarding clubs and platforms.
I don’t know what you mean by the last part but my understanding is ECNL will only do one club within a given distance and that vote for the 2021/2022 season has already occurred. My take on WSA is they lack the appropriate facilities and they certainly can’t claim being a top 100 club. As long as TSC maintains that distinction they will have an advantage over the other 918 clubs. I’ve also heard that TSC is looking to buy a facility. Most likely is Titan South and then lights would be added, all soccer fields, nets blocking the creek to the west, and then improved drainage, irrigation, and....REGULATION SIZED GOALS.

Looks like my son will get some extra time playing with the JV and backing up varsity the next couple of weeks. The normal JV starter and varsity back-up broke a finger up in Kansas City this weekend. I hope he Wally Pipp's him.

Wow, Union had a bad day of soccer against Jenks last night. JV Girls, JV boys (3-1), Varsity Girls (2-1), and Varsity boys (2-2, Jenks wins in PK shootout that went 13 rounds). I didn't see the JV girls game. JV boys, Union started really slow and gave up 2 in the 1st 15 minutes, 1st one was an OG off a deflection by a defender. 2nd goal, the Union D just broke down and a kid beat the keeper 1 v 1. My son got the 2nd half of the game. Union came out strong and pulled a goal back to 2-1. Jenks scored about 5 minutes later on a rocket from 25 yards. My son did play pretty well after that and made 3-4 nice saves. The JV team was playing without 4 field players who normally start as they were being held back for the varsity game (backups).

The varsity boys game was crazy. Lots of quality. Union struck first just before half. Jenks found an equalizer with about 15 minutes left and then a 2nd with about 5 minutes left. Union tied the game with about 2 minutes left off a corner that the keeper actually pushed into his own goal. And for some reason in Oklahoma, they feel the need to settle the game in PKs immediately. 13 rounds. Both keepers made some nice saves. With Union shooting 2nd, they had 3 chances to end the shootout on top. 2 saves, 1 post, and one crossbar that if it's 1 inch lower is in the back of the net. Union had a FR on the field as part of its 10 shooters. He took the final one that the Jenks keeper saved and ended the game. My son said the Union coach just said it was a hard fought game and in most of the world in regular league play, it would go down as a draw. Since it's a non-district game, it doesn't hurt them. My son also said that this Union team is one of the youngest varsity sides in the state. There's not an upperclassmen playing in the back and there are only 3-4 seniors.

Odd thing...prior to the shootout, right after the tying goal, Jenks made a sub and replaced their goalkeeper. The starter is a 6'5" giant, who in my modestly trained eye, has terrible feet. They replaced him with a kid who looked about 6'1" and presumably to be between the pipes for the shootout. The replacement was very good in the shootout. Strong push, good hands.

Have you heard any rumblings about TSC and the OPC?
No. My understanding is they will still maintain OPC teams if they have enough teams to support it in an age group. If each age group has ECNL, ECRL, and NPL when they reach that age, they will be in those groups. My understanding has been if the OPC clubs have more than 1 team in an age group, then 1 has to play NPL.

Have you heard anything different?

Wow, Union had a bad day of soccer against Jenks last night. JV Girls, JV boys (3-1), Varsity Girls (2-1), and Varsity boys (2-2, Jenks wins in PK shootout that went 13 rounds). I didn't see the JV girls game. JV boys, Union started really slow and gave up 2 in the 1st 15 minutes, 1st one was an OG off a deflection by a defender. 2nd goal, the Union D just broke down and a kid beat the keeper 1 v 1. My son got the 2nd half of the game. Union came out strong and pulled a goal back to 2-1. Jenks scored about 5 minutes later on a rocket from 25 yards. My son did play pretty well after that and made 3-4 nice saves. The JV team was playing without 4 field players who normally start as they were being held back for the varsity game (backups).

The varsity boys game was crazy. Lots of quality. Union struck first just before half. Jenks found an equalizer with about 15 minutes left and then a 2nd with about 5 minutes left. Union tied the game with about 2 minutes left off a corner that the keeper actually pushed into his own goal. And for some reason in Oklahoma, they feel the need to settle the game in PKs immediately. 13 rounds. Both keepers made some nice saves. With Union shooting 2nd, they had 3 chances to end the shootout on top. 2 saves, 1 post, and one crossbar that if it's 1 inch lower is in the back of the net. Union had a FR on the field as part of its 10 shooters. He took the final one that the Jenks keeper saved and ended the game. My son said the Union coach just said it was a hard fought game and in most of the world in regular league play, it would go down as a draw. Since it's a non-district game, it doesn't hurt them. My son also said that this Union team is one of the youngest varsity sides in the state. There's not an upperclassmen playing in the back and there are only 3-4 seniors.

Odd thing...prior to the shootout, right after the tying goal, Jenks made a sub and replaced their goalkeeper. The starter is a 6'5" giant, who in my modestly trained eye, has terrible feet. They replaced him with a kid who looked about 6'1" and presumably to be between the pipes for the shootout. The replacement was very good in the shootout. Strong push, good hands.

The shootouts are ridiculous and need to stop. There is nothing wrong with a draw. It is a win sometimes and it is dangerous to play for. Teams never really play for it any way. It is just okay in the overall standings to get through to the playoffs or advance in a tournament. In my mind, it is no different than some basketball team trying to muddy up the waters with a more talented team and keep it low scoring and ugly etc...

Apparently Oklahoma has a mercy rule is HS soccer for varsity games. My sons FR team played Regent Prep (varsity, but I think they only have 1 team) 10-0 on Thursday night. My son started and played the 1st half and recorded 2 saves. He also put one of their strikers on skates with a nice little drag. Game ended with 7 minutes left when Union FR scored their 10th. (This was Thursday).
Friday he played the 2nd half of the JV1 game vs BTW. They were down 3-0 when he came in and Union ended up losing 3-2. He had 4 saves including a cracker at the final whistle. He also served as backup for the varsity game. Union lost 3-2 in OT. My son said the coach got on them for taking the game for granted but he might have set that tone when he told the team he wanted 8 goals. Union did out shoot BTW 18-6 and missed a couple point blank chances. BTW had a peach of a goal off a long free kick served perfectly onto the head of a striker. 2nd and 3rd goals against were serious defensive lapses. Union’s goals came off a nice build up and cross to a header flicked to the back post and then a great individual effort.

My son has the potential to dress/play in games on Monday night, Tuesday (Putnam City-2) and Sand Springs on Friday (2). That’s not even counting club games next weekend.

Have you heard anything about the Tulsa Showcase in two weeks? Getting a little nervous about turnout.

Have you heard anything about the Tulsa Showcase in two weeks? Getting a little nervous about turnout.
I haven’t. Haven’t seen the # of accepted teams, etc. I think they raised the entrance fees which obviously will discourage some teams from coming and they raised the price of pre-paid parking from $5-$10 which is all profit since the passes are paid for by sponsors and they aren’t charge parking fees by the facilities. It’s a gouge. And if the referees are as bad as I’ve seen at recent tournaments, or they do t have full ref crews for games, they will take another hit. Schedule should be out by Friday this week is my understanding.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT