ADVERTISEMENT

Youth soccer club

Son's team played in the adidas Showcase this weekend. 0-2-1. Lost the 1st game, 2-1. One own goal, and one that my son said deflected 3 times before going in. The team we played is a local team who has scored 4 goals against us in the last 2 games we've played them in, 3 have been own goals. My son's team tends to dominate the middle 3rd as the MFs have really put together a strong cohesion with one another and the passing and connection is really really good. They struggle in the final 3rd though. Lone goal came off of a corner on a planned play. 1st time all season. Funny thing is they worked for an hour on corners on Thursday and it worked perfectly.

Game 2- 2-2 draw against one of the OKC Energy teams. They were good and had 1 kid up top who was phenomenally talented. Super fast, super skilled. They took a 1-0 lead about 10 minutes in on a cracker of a strike from outside the box. Well placed just inside the post. My son had zero chance at it. Our team then responded with 2 goals. 1 was a floater from outside the box that just went over the GK who got caught off his line. 2nd one was a great play by one of our forwards to wriggle free along the goal line and sent a great cross to the back post where the other forward just tapped it in . 2nd half, Energy had the wind and just played the ball over the top to the fast kid. My son probably thwarted about 12 of these by being quick off his line. He also made 3-4 stops on some really nice shots, one he had to tip over the bar as it was headed top corner. Another one from about 15 yds but it was right at him. He fielded the shot cleanly. My son went into time wasting mode about 10 minutes in. Every errant through ball that he scooped up, he went down and then smothered it for a few seconds before getting to his feet. On several others, he would pat the ball down and then control it with his feet playing with it until the attackers would come in forcing him to pick it up. At one point with about 6-7 minutes left the referee apparently told my son he was going to yellow card him if he kept it up and my son asked him if he was going to get a yellow for taking advantage of the rules. The other team scored with about 1 minute left on what turned out to be a 3 on 1 plus my son. Big kid out ran the defender (we were gassed by this point after playing pretty well in the back most of the night, maybe the best defensive effort of the season), got near the end line and played a ball back across the box, 2nd attacker in the middle actually whiffed but there was a 3rd attacker on the back post who put it in despite a desperate dive from my son. Our coach learned that 3 of the kids on the other team were being moved up to the top Energy team after the tournament.

Game 3: Let's just preface this with the field were muddy, boggy messes at Mohawk after the dampness and Saturday night rains and 2 games before we got on it. The west half of the field we were on was unplayable TBH. If it was a normal league weekend, the game would have been canceled. TSC team really dominated. The other team maybe crossed midfield 2x with control of the ball in the 1st half and yet they had the only decent chance on goal (saved). 3 defenders slipped and fell down in the swamp as this play unfolded. My son's team refused to shoot unless they were within 5 yards of goal for some reason despite having the ball at the top of the box numerous times. 2nd half, the other team has the wind, we're down a defender due to injury and put a forward back there. Crazy things happen in the box, ball gets cleared to nearly MF, my son starts to step up, and the one player on the opposing team with a leg big enough just plays kickball. Son slips trying to get back, ball drops into the goal just under the bar. Next 25 minutes are played in the opposing teams end, 2 hit posts, 1 open header wide, 1 open header into the keepers hands. Brutal loss 1-0. Really fluky when you consider TSC team probably had 75% of the possession and attack in the game. Not sure what you can say to the kids other than shoot more.

Our games were changed to 3, 12:30 and 12:30. Not nearly as good as the original game times. Oh well. Still headed down Friday am....probably to watch it rain.

We had a good Adidas showcase. Only team which tested us was the City FC out of Texas. Figured they would be good as they were the 5th ranked club in North Texas. Felt fortunate to beat them. On to Dallas.

We play at 2 Friday, 10 and 2:30 on Saturday, then hopefully 9:30 semi-final on Sunday. Only about half our team is going, the rest of the team is from the 11 Gold team. We havent really trained with them so there will likely be some cohesion/communication issues. Not sure how this weekend is going to turn out for us.

We went 4-0 and won the Showcase this weekend. Probably should have played up one more division, but they were trying to avoid having more than 2 TSC teams in each flight if possible.

Love reading the updates on the teams. Keep em coming. Our 2010 girls the same weekend we played tsc in Tulsa had 4 other games. We played the oefc 2nd team in the Norman tournament twice. They had 5 first team girls playing that didn’t come off the field at all. We tied them the first time we played them and beat them 2-1 in the final for our 9th game in 8 days. The girls were completely done lol. I didn’t go to the tsc game the day before but the coach told me that’s the worst he’s ever seen us play. I think we were fairly already out of gas by that game and missing a couple girls but I still give you guys credit for what it sounds like was pretty much domination. We played our first 11v11 game last weekend for fun and I really liked it. I think that will be good for our girls when we get there. Good luck to everyone this weekend!

Reactions: lawpoke87
Our 11 girls team brought back the championship from the Texas Cup this weekend in the Gold division. They went 5-0 this weekend, including a 9-1 win in the finals. The team was made up of 7 girls from our team (11 Navy) and 6 from 11 Gold. For having never played together the girls gelled pretty well after thie first game.

Our 11 girls team brought back the championship from the Texas Cup this weekend in the Gold division. They went 5-0 this weekend, including a 9-1 win in the finals. The team was made up of 7 girls from our team (11 Navy) and 6 from 11 Gold. For having never played together the girls gelled pretty well after thie first game.

Congrats. That’s a great result. We went into the weekend with some trepidation as we were forced to play a field player in goal. Came away pleasantly surprised. All three teams we played were SuperCopa teams. Lost 3-2 to DKSC. Tied Sting 1-1 then beat Solar 3-1 on Sunday. Pretty good showing all things considered. Girls are starting to figure it out on the offensive end.

Congrats. That’s a great result. We went into the weekend with some trepidation as we were forced to play a field player in goal. Came away pleasantly surprised. All three teams we played were SuperCopa teams. Lost 3-2 to DKSC. Tied Sting 1-1 then beat Solar 3-1 on Sunday. Pretty good showing all things considered. Girls are starting to figure it out on the offensive end.
How does a coach let that happen? I am always for a coach bringing in a 2nd GK for a big weekend just in case...especially now with COVID, you never know when a kid is going to get quarantined for being in school, out and about, or in Oklahoma's case, at a Christian rock concert with 3000 other people, no masks, and everyone spitting at each other.

How does a coach let that happen? I am always for a coach bringing in a 2nd GK for a big weekend just in case...especially now with COVID, you never know when a kid is going to get quarantined for being in school, out and about, or in Oklahoma's case, at a Christian rock concert with 3000 other people, no masks, and everyone spitting at each other.

Not as easy as it sounds when the club has multiple teams playing on the same weekend. You can’t pull from the younger team because they’re playing as well. You have to convince a parent of the #2 or #3 team goalie to travel to Dallas for a three day showcase on Thanksgiving.

Not as easy as it sounds when the club has multiple teams playing on the same weekend. You can’t pull from the younger team because they’re playing as well. You have to convince a parent of the #2 or #3 team goalie to travel to Dallas for a three day showcase on Thanksgiving.
I get it. We are always willing to let my son play whenever he is available to do so. We've even told one of the WSA teams to let us know if they ever need a guest GK for a tournament to let us know. As long as he's not playing with his team, he's available to play. And if you're kid is a GK on the #2 or #3 team and you have that chance, you need to let them play. TSC already does a poor job in it's GK development program and they don't do any actual GK tryouts so there is almost no opportunity to get on the radar for those ECNL/NPL teams.

There is a shortage of quality keepers on the U11 girls side across northeast Oklahoma right now. Very few girls are ready to commit to being “just a keeper” at this age and train appropriately imo. I assume that will change in the next few years but right now there are only a handful of top tier goalies. The Solars and Stings seem to have an endless supply. Of course those clubs are over five times the size of TSC on the girls side.

I think our team is the only 2011 team for TSC that doesnt have a dedicated goalie. We have a girl that will play some, but typically borrow the goalie from the gold team when playing in a tournament if she is available.

My son committed to being a keeper early on (9) because 1) He hated to run and 2) he realized he could stay on the field for the entire game. There's only a handful of games over the last 5 years where my son has come out of a game.

Playing in a KC futsal league this winter. Played 4 games this past weekend which weren’t very competitive. Closest game was 8-2. Will play four more the second week of January then regionals and nationals.

Also playing indoor at soccer city. Playing in the U12 boys academy division so the girls are seeing all they can handle there...sometimes more.

Playing in a KC futsal league this winter. Played 4 games this past weekend which weren’t very competitive. Closest game was 8-2. Will play four more the second week of January then regionals and nationals.

Also playing indoor at soccer city. Playing in the U12 boys academy division so the girls are seeing all they can handle there...sometimes more.
Kansas City to Sapulpa's a long way to drive for practice.

What's KC futsal practice and game schedule like?

We practice futsal at Titan once a week. We go up to KC for two weekends (one in December abs one in January) and play two games on Saturday and two on Sunday. Not sure what the regional or National schedules will look like. Some of the TSC coaches are really big futsal fans as it relates to player development.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
We played in KC this weekend too. The 11g futsal team really needed to play up. We played in the silver bracket to separate us from them. The games for both teams were not even close. I think our closest one was 10 or 11 to 1.

We practice futsal at Titan once a week. We go up to KC for two weekends (one in December abs one in January) and play two games on Saturday and two on Sunday. Not sure what the regional or National schedules will look like. Some of the TSC coaches are really big futsal fans as it relates to player development.
That all started with Joao Cerbino. He was here and Legacy Futsal hired him to be their director of futsal. They had an '08 boys team that was ridiculous. The owners' son was part of that squad and quite possibly the best '08 soccer player in the Tulsa metro in his age group. He and 2 others from that futsal team are now a part of the Sporting KC academy. That group won 2 national championships and also traveled to Barcelona to represent the US in some world youth futsal competition. They beat both the Brazilian and Spanish national teams while there. His older brother played with my son for a couple years. Good player, never got recognized for doing dirty work and playing both ways. He wasn't nearly as good as his brother, but still a good player. He left TSC to go to Blitz and then to WSA. He's not playing any more which is a shame.

After Titan opened, TSC decided to start their own futsal program and hired Joao away as well as another guy too (can't remember his name).

So my son's OPC season finally ended. In their last 3 games played, my son faced 5 shots...combined. 3 of those came in the last game, 1 of which was a PK(questionable call at best). He stopped the PK but wasn't able to control the rebound and the shooter scored on the put back. Bummer.

So to illustrate the biggest problem with my son's team....if I were to put a ball park figure on the number of shots (attempted and on goal), it would be close to about 120 combined for those 3 games. They scored 5 goals. Finishing is a problem to say the least. And a conservative possession estimate would be 70%. The really do a good job working the ball out of the back but they are really really good in the middle 1/3 of the field. Just can't finish.

That all started with Joao Cerbino. He was here and Legacy Futsal hired him to be their director of futsal. They had an '08 boys team that was ridiculous. The owners' son was part of that squad and quite possibly the best '08 soccer player in the Tulsa metro in his age group. He and 2 others from that futsal team are now a part of the Sporting KC academy. That group won 2 national championships and also traveled to Barcelona to represent the US in some world youth futsal competition. They beat both the Brazilian and Spanish national teams while there. His older brother played with my son for a couple years. Good player, never got recognized for doing dirty work and playing both ways. He wasn't nearly as good as his brother, but still a good player. He left TSC to go to Blitz and then to WSA. He's not playing any more which is a shame.

After Titan opened, TSC decided to start their own futsal program and hired Joao away as well as another guy too (can't remember his name).
Joao coaches my daughters 11's team as well as their futsal team (the 11's have 2, the academy team and ours). The girls love it. They are still playing, but it feels different to them and works on their foot skills in a way that indoor doesnt.

Joao coaches my daughters 11's team as well as their futsal team (the 11's have 2, the academy team and ours). The girls love it. They are still playing, but it feels different to them and works on their foot skills in a way that indoor doesnt.
I don't know many actual soccer coaches that push true indoor soccer in the winter because of the walls and the smaller field works against their conditioning. We're going to be playing in the 7v7 winter league through BASC. It will resemble futsal and require ball movement and allow the boys to keep their conditioning up (we hope).

I've seen Joao out at Redeemer Church in South Tulsa training some girls individually. The girls seem to have a blast and Joao has what seems like boundless energy for that age group. The key to individual training sessions like that is to make sure the kids are having fun with whatever he's teaching. My son does GK sessions with Lewis Amos at the same time. Lewis always challenges his GKs with the "if you can stop my shot you can stop anyone's save for Ronaldo" line. You always love to see the kids having fun and getting better at the same time.

Looks like the Surf Cup is a go. Play starts Sunday in Phoenix. Five teams in our pool including the #3 and #6 ranked teams in the country. Going to be interesting.

Joao co-coaches my daughter’s futsal team btw.

Last edited:
Enjoyed the sunshine and soccer at the surf cup over the last few days. Girls played really well and went 3-1 on the trip only giving up 3 goals. We beat the #11 team in the country out of Las Vegas before losing to the #2 team in the country (Dallas Texans) 1-0 on a free kick. Represented Oklahoma youth soccer well.

My son has been invited to play with the NPL side at the Outlaw Cup in Dallas in 3 weeks. We’ll see how it goes. The coach has mentioned a few times of giving quite a few kids good looks as his side struggles. We’ll see.
Also, HS soccer will get underway in earnest for him when they return to school tomorrow. He’s finally decided to change his schedule to have soccer as part of his classes...weird how they do that.

We are playing in the Michael Brown Winter Classic in Dallas in 3 weeks at Moneygram. Seems like there’s a least two or three soccer tourneys going on in Dallas every weekend. Not sure there’s a better youth soccer city in the country.

We are playing in the Michael Brown Winter Classic in Dallas in 3 weeks at Moneygram. Seems like there’s a least two or three soccer tourneys going on in Dallas every weekend. Not sure there’s a better youth soccer city in the country.

Dallas is really good, especially since that city has grown by incredible amounts from 3.5M in 1990, 5.2M in 2000 and now over 7.5M.

Southern CA has long been considered the best because the weather is so good. LA has around 20M people and San Diego, which is a 2-hour drive away has another 3.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Son picked up a game this weekend at South Lakes playing with the NPL team. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully the weather holds. His team also split into two for futsal (we were given two spots to take the place of another team who entered but then decided not to play...Titan gave us the spots fee free with the exception of ref fees so they could have enough teams). Outlaw Cup i Grapevine next week...and he's been practicing with Union 5 days a week. Soccer is keeping him busy. On top of that he's in the final stages of his Eagle project for scouts...and he finished the Fall semester #11 in class ranking out of 1100 students for Union 9th graders...he's earned me bragging about him just a bit :)

Son picked up a game this weekend at South Lakes playing with the NPL team. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully the weather holds. His team also split into two for futsal (we were given two spots to take the place of another team who entered but then decided not to play...Titan gave us the spots fee free with the exception of ref fees so they could have enough teams). Outlaw Cup i Grapevine next week...and he's been practicing with Union 5 days a week. Soccer is keeping him busy. On top of that he's in the final stages of his Eagle project for scouts...and he finished the Fall semester #11 in class ranking out of 1100 students for Union 9th graders...he's earned me bragging about him just a bit :)
Light sleep duty???

Congrats. Sounds like a great kid. Dad deserves to be proud.

Must keep a regimented schedule.
Eh...because of the digital age and platform learning available, most of his teachers post all of the assignments for a week, at the start of the week and he just does them all in a night. He doesn't like things hanging out there and undone (he takes after my wife in that way...they're both type A). He loves to read too so reading assignments that would bore me to tears, he finishes like they're nothing.

Eh...because of the digital age and platform learning available, most of his teachers post all of the assignments for a week, at the start of the week and he just does them all in a night. He doesn't like things hanging out there and undone (he takes after my wife in that way...they're both type A). He loves to read too so reading assignments that would bore me to tears, he finishes like they're nothing.
Won't do it all in one night in college, but it seems he is well prepared for the next leg when he graduates.

Won't do it all in one night in college, but it seems he is well prepared for the next leg when he graduates.
I worry about him when he gets to teachers and classes that will require him to do a little investigation to learn the material. He doesn't study and I'm not sure he really knows how to. Math is natural for him. His struggle is he dislike writing, especially when it comes to creative writing. Ask him to do an analysis on reading, he's fine. If he has to come up with a story...struggle city. Hopefully as he progresses in HS the teachers will start challenging him more.

My son got about 30 min in goal yesterday vs SLSCs top side. He played pretty well. Gave up 2...neither one could he have done much on. Center ref was terrible and inconsistent and he ended up losing control late. One red card for SLSC, which probably should have come sooner than it did. Player went up and elbowed a TSC player in the back of the head which earned him a yellow. Kid chirped at the ref the rest of the game and at one point asked “are you ****ing blind?” which should have earned him a 2nd. It didn’t at that point but ref finally had enough with about 5 min left and showed him the 2nd yellow then red. It was away from the run of play. Game then went bad. I think there were 5-6 yellows in the last few minutes. One kid earned a yellow for not giving space on a free kick restart which he got drilled in the face on.
Dallas next weekend for the Outlaw Cup.

We’re in Dallas next weekend as well. Weather looks iffy at this point.
Last I looked Sunday had a 30% chance of rain, Saturday looked fine. But the highs are also upper 50s lower 60s which you can’t really beat for January.

Last I looked Sunday had a 30% chance of rain, Saturday looked fine. But the highs are also upper 50s lower 60s which you can’t really beat for January.

We’re staying in the Sheridan Stonebriar. You guys ? Games Saturday 11am and 5pm. Sunday 8am and 2pm.

We’re staying in the Sheridan Stonebriar. You guys ? Games Saturday 11am and 5pm. Sunday 8am and 2pm.
Holiday Inn Trophy Club. We play 9:30/2 on Saturday and 8am on Sunday. Our games are at Meadowmere Park in Grapevine

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT