ADVERTISEMENT

Why didn't OU decline the running into the kicker penalty?

'Cane-man

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Mar 10, 2002
Do the rules prohibit that?

If they decline, OSU has the ball inside the 20 with no timeouts left. They punt again and tempt fate...guess what happened?

Maybe they weren't allowed to decline but I don't know why. I do know that OU deserved to lose.

When you consider how much he is paid and what he is expected to produce, you could make a case that Stoops is the most overrated coach in football.

I know this has nothing to do with TU football but...curious ending.

You can decline any penalty you want to. My guess is Medium Game Bob was trying to use more time, punt it into the end zone and give OSU the ball at the 20. Hindsight is always 20-20. I hate OU so this works perfectly (don't get me wrong, this is the only game all year I pull for OSU).
Posted from Rivals Mobile

One of the worst coaching decisions I've seen. Why do you give what is likely the fastest player in college football another chance to return a punt?

Not true. You didn't watch the game.

Originally posted by lawpoke87:
One of the worst coaching decisions I've seen. Why do you give what is likely the fastest player in college football another chance to return a punt?
unbelievable! the guy has been clocked at a 4.2 40 yard dash and got gold at the world jr championships as a sprinter.... i guess thats why Bob gets paid over $5 mil, hes smarter than us normal folk

interesting conversation at the bar at Benvenuitti's in Norman the other night over martinis...

The Firing of Bo Pellini has some questioning Stoop's future.

of course no one would have punted looking at the results now. I would have done the same thing. they should have covered the punt. half the team looked like they were going half speed expecting the punt in the end zone or another fair catch.

I thought it was a dumb a$$ move by Stoops...................the first punt ended up inside the 20 yard line and punting again onl.y gives OSU another chance to block the punt and run one back/get a good return. Also, only 1 minute on the clock...........I take my chances with the defense on the field, not the punt team with wide open spaces.

What would OU have done, if Perine wouldn't have burst onto the picture...........OU staff needs to look in the mirror.

I think most coaches in Stoops' situation choose to punt again, max protect, and you tell the punter to make sure the ball goes OB. The time is the key here.

Granted, with Hill in the game there is a chance he is able to break a wheel route or some other pass route for a TD anyway and that is more likely than him returning a punt for a TD (look at the probabilities of one vs. the other).

People can gripe at Stoops all they want over this, it wasn't a terribly coaching decision but Hill made a great play and OU couldn't make one when they needed it most.

I'll be honest with you, for me I was sitting there thinking ok just decline the penalty since it doesn't result in a first down and you have them penned at about the 15 yard line. When they line up to re kick I'm thinking what???this is stupid. I suppose he wants to take a few more seconds off the clock, but you have them inside of the 20. Not a smart play IMO.

I'll take my chances defending a true freshman QB playing in his second college game 85 yards away from the goal line with 55 seconds left and no timeouts with my set defense instead of giving a guy who runs a 4.2 forty a chance in an open field situation where my guys might be out of position.

Originally posted by lawpoke87:

I'll take my chances defending a true freshman QB playing in his second college game 85 yards away from the goal line with 55 seconds left and no timeouts with my set defense instead of giving a guy who runs a 4.2 forty a chance in an open field situation where my guys might be out of position.
Completely agree here...Too much can go wrong on a punt (bad snap, drop the snap, get it blocked, shank it, RETURNED to the house) the risk/reward made no sense. Sure you eat up a few more seconds of clock but instead of making them go 85 you're trying to make them go 90? You're playing against a true freshman that HAS to get in the endzone. I heard on the radio that the special teams coach said the punter was supposed to coffin corner it so there would be no return and that was one of the reason the coverage team was out of position. Obviously, easier said than done. I think the coaches out thunk themselves on this one

Being that precise on a 40 yard punt against a 20 mph gale isn't near as easy as the special teams coach makes it sound. The punt ended up about 5 yards from where he wanted it....both depth and width. A margin which could easily be explained by the wind. If you watch the replay you can actually see Hill having a hard time tracking the ball due to the wind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT