ADVERTISEMENT

When is it time? BB Haith

shon46

I.T.S. Defensive Coordinator
Sep 16, 2008
UK
The difference between basketball football is I actually think Haith has recruited some solid talent. Everytime I see this team play I see great potential but they consistently lose to the teams they should beat and tease us with one or two wins a year against teams they shouldn’t beat. We haven’t made the NCAA tournament since 2016 and haven’t won a conference title since 2014. I had high hopes Haith would bring us back consistently to the promise land but that just hasn’t happened. He has had plenty of time to produce with decent talent. When will enough be enough?

Haith either needs to be fired after this season or his contract extended with no additional buyout should he be fired before the extension expires imo. Keeping Haith next season with no public extension will kill make recruiting even more difficult than it already is.

The TV deal should be done in a couple of weeks. Then you will have your answer regarding what the universities

Firing him now will almost certainly necessitate bringing in a lower cost option given the current climate. Who ya gonna get that will make you happy at that price? And there’s the problem.

I’ve been wrong plenty of times trying to guess what the TU admin is thinking, but the Magic 8 ball tells me the signs point to us riding this wave all the way to the beach.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldenhurricane2
list of potential Candidates?

Self may be available.
Kim English. We want to throw big names out there, some of whom are has been a or guys we wanted earlier in their careers, others are solid assistants in big programs. I don’t think they’re the answer anymore.

I think Kim English is the basketball equivalent of Brennan Marion. Both are great at recruiting and both are students of the game with extreme IQs in their respective sports. English can recruit here AND he may even be able to land Bryce Thompson if he replaced Haith. The more and more I think about it English makes perfect sense for TU even though he’s a little green still.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
[QUOTE="shon46, post: 248460, member: 65 When will enough be enough?[/QUOTE]

The TV deal should be done in a couple of weeks. Then you will have your answer regarding what the universities

Firing him now will almost certainly necessitate bringing in a lower cost option given the current climate. Who ya gonna get that will make you happy at that price? And there’s the problem.

I’ve been wrong plenty of times trying to guess what the TU admin is thinking, but the Magic 8 ball tells me the signs point to us riding this wave all the way to the beach.
Who's to say we don't hire somebody on a structured contract after the TV deal gets announced. I'm thinking it is 6M min., probably more like 8m.

Last edited:
Haith will not be extended, so it really comes down to whether or not he bolts from TU next month.

My guess is that he leaves after we’re eliminated from the AAC tourney. No one wants to be a “lame duck” coach.

The TV contact will help pay a coach, but there are so so many good young candidates that would gladly take $1M for a chance to coach TU in the AAC.

Beach? Hell, we are being rolled and crushed on top of the reef. We picked the wrong set and the next swell is bearing down. We will be picking polyps out of our reef rash for years to come.

Haith will not be extended, so it really comes down to whether or not he bolts from TU next month.

My guess is that he leaves after we’re eliminated from the AAC tourney. No one wants to be a “lame duck” coach.

The TV contact will help pay a coach, but there are so so many good young candidates that would gladly take $1M for a chance to coach TU in the AAC.
He won’t just bail on his salary.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
He did at Mizzou, but not sure what the terms were...

However, I agree that he would need something decent (multi-year) with a lower level school to offset the year of salary he’d be giving up at TU.

Keeping Frank on an overly expensive contract for a lame duck year where everyone knows well suck sounds exactly like the kind of thing TU would do. Tho extending him for a year or two sound even more like TU so maybe we should rejoice on the lame duck thing.

Keeping him as a lame duck is ridiculous

Kills Tulsa in recruiting

But they probably think it’s not going to get any worse

Sad state right now at Tulsa

Keeping him as a lame duck is ridiculous

Kills Tulsa in recruiting

But they probably think it’s not going to get any worse

Sad state right now at Tulsa

Yeah I’m sure that’s what “they” think. Sheesh.

And yes it can get worse - a lot worse. Do the words John Phillips ring any bells?

The TV money won’t arrive till 2022 I believe. Someone above said our talent is really good. They did not watch the Temple game today. Temple out talented us in 4 of the 5 positions and I would give Martins a tie in a difficult comparison.

Whatever we do about the coaching situation must revolve around recruiting. At this rate we will be picked only above Tulane the next two years.

The TV money won’t arrive till 2022 I believe. Someone above said our talent is really good. They did not watch the Temple game today. Temple out talented us in 4 of the 5 positions and I would give Martins a tie in a difficult comparison.

Whatever we do about the coaching situation must revolve around recruiting. At this rate we will be picked only above Tulane the next two years.

Not to worry, "Dr. Dolittle" is in the process of hiring a major donors officer. Happy days are here again!

I didn't realize that, I thought the TV money came in 2020/21. I thought that since the contract was over at the end of the 2019/20 we would get it in 2020 or '21? Don't know if its paid at the beginning of the school year, the end, or sometime in between. But I can't see it not coming in till 2022. That's way after the fact.

I checked it out and I believe the first new conference payout is on August 31 of 2021. I'm thinking it would then get transferred to the individual schools sometime in early September.

I'm thinking maybe as a donation to the University Mr Case could give the athletic program a no interest/low interest loan. A low interest would be at the very most for $250k in interest until Aug 31, '21. That's not too much to give up in a one time payout after we start getting 6 or 8M every year. And Mr Case would see a small profit.

Last edited:
I'm thinking maybe as a donation to the University Mr Case could give the athletic program a no interest/low interest loan. A low interest would be at the very most for $250k in interest until Aug 31, '21. That's not too much to give up in a one time payout after we start getting 6 or 8M every year. And Mr Case would see a small profit.
We aren’t borrowing a dime for anything, especially for operating expenses related to marketing.

The types of arrangements that are similar to what you are talking about is a good portion of the reason we do not have the cash to afford to move on from our current coaches.

We aren’t borrowing a dime for anything, especially for operating expenses related to marketing.

The types of arrangements that are similar to what you are talking about is a good portion of the reason we do not have the cash to afford to move on from our current coaches.
I just figured that in a week, week and a 1/2, that money would be guaranteed to be there 9/21 to pay off the loan. We'd have 4-6M TV contract extra income 9/21. It might take some haranguing/convincing by Clancy, of the BOT though.

Last edited:
I just figured that in a week, week and a 1/2, that money would be guaranteed to be there 9/21 to pay off the loan. We'd have 4-6M TV contract extra income 9/21. It might take some haranguing/convincing by Clancy, of the BOT though.
The TU debt load that is guaranteed through student tuition fees, athletic income etc is already way too high for nearly all major banks looking at us for short term loans for other things we really need. We’ve had to use alternative lenders, including at least one majority charity, and at unfavorable interest rates. They won’t take on more debt and get further underwater on paper, even if the risk is low. It’s a bad analogy but illustrative. If you got a million dollar trust fund and no job so income is flat, max out two credit cards and make minimum payments, well when you try to get a third card to keep buy household essentials like rent and food, then the third card company is going to jack up the rate even though their risk is low because you’ve got all that money tied up and unspendable in the bank. Same story in a rough and bad analogy about TU.

Even when the TV money comes in, we will be pinching pennies to retire some of those bonds I would imagine and expand student athlete services, not spend it on salaries and infrastructure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gmoney4WW
The TU debt load that is guaranteed through student tuition fees, athletic income etc is already way too high for nearly all major banks looking at us for short term loans for other things we really need. We’ve had to use alternative lenders, including at least one majority charity, and at unfavorable interest rates. They won’t take on more debt and get further underwater on paper, even if the risk is low. It’s a bad analogy but illustrative. If you got a million dollar trust fund and no job so income is flat, max out two credit cards and make minimum payments, well when you try to get a third card to keep buy household essentials like rent and food, then the third card company is going to jack up the rate even though their risk is low because you’ve got all that money tied up and unspendable in the bank. Same story in a rough and bad analogy about TU.

Even when the TV money comes in, we will be pinching pennies to retire some of those bonds I would imagine and expand student athlete services, not spend it on salaries and infrastructure.
Wow, pinching pennies to get our athletic department out of a whole with 4-6M extra income per year. That's either a really bad hole, or the board taking advantage of that extra income to get the academics out of a hole.

Wow, pinching pennies to get our athletic department out of a whole with 4-6M extra income per year. That's either a really bad hole, or the board taking advantage of that extra income to get the academics out of a hole.
The size of the hole is partially disclosed by accessing links posted over on the General Board. All three major functions of the university took on debt. Athletics can’t pay off or cover debts incurred elsewhere on campus and even if they could they’ve never run a surplus nor would you want them to. 4 mil a year ain’t gonna solve the problem. The problems are much bigger and more varied than simply saving 5 mil and cutting expenses.

The size of the hole is partially disclosed by accessing links posted over on the General Board. All three major functions of the university took on debt. Athletics can’t pay off or cover debts incurred elsewhere on campus and even if they could they’ve never run a surplus nor would you want them to. 4 mil a year ain’t gonna solve the problem. The problems are much bigger and more varied than simply saving 5 mil and cutting expenses.
Yeah I think the problem is greatly exacerbated by the staff and board not wanting to contribute as much even in good times, to be profitable to the University in students that it brings. They can't see the future for all the tree mirages they have placed in the way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT