ADVERTISEMENT

What will Memorial Day be like in Tulsa

TUMe

I.T.S. Legend
Dec 3, 2003
Okay this is Memorial Day 100. There are going to be people coming from all over. Hopefully it will be peaceful and honor those who passed. Any thoughts.

Oklahoma demonstrations tend to be peaceful. Armed out of state people “remembering” the race riot is a bit concerning. Optimistic though. Assume police will be prepared just in case.

I think that all the attention on the Tulsa race riots is called for. It's not a proud moment in our history, but it happened and it should be studied. the take away is where are we 100 years later?

How many people can actually tell you about what happened to cause the race riots?

I would warrant a guess that very few have actually read much beyond... “and Black Wall Street was destroyed”

There's a great series about Greenwood on PBS via OETA. My high school classmates have been sharing information about the massacre off and on for years, because we knew nothing about it when we lived in Tulsa. The best we could come up with was a rumor there was some sort of "race riot" in the 20's. Quite a euphemism.

There's a great series about Greenwood on PBS via OETA. My high school classmates have been sharing information about the massacre off and on for years, because we knew nothing about it when we lived in Tulsa. The best we could come up with was a rumor there was some sort of "race riot" in the 20's. Quite a euphemism.

I’m asking do most people know what led to the events that transpired? Do they know that there were armed white AND BLACK mobs marching around town? Now, I think the racist whites of the town at the time were obviously out of control and the reason for the mob violence was a despicable one, but the nature of the division in the town (us vs. them on both sides) was the tinder for the flame.

It wasn’t quite as simple as “hey the Blacks are doing too well, let’s destroy their stuff” out of the thin blue sky. It was the institutional racism that sowed the seeds for the divisions and it was that same institutional racism that sparked the fire.

the whole world will be watching. Obviously not a proud moment in our history.
This is my city. I grew up here and love this town, so I hope that the view from outsiders is that today Tulsa is a good city

Apart from the event itself, as people who grew up in Tulsa, my high school classmates and I are disappointed at the follow up. Mass graves, a cover up of the event, no police investigation by the city or state, and no mention curriculum.

Hats off to Tulsa for owning up now.

Yesterday gets good grades. I hope the next three days follow that pattern.
Nothing can undue the events of the past, but I hope everyone makes an effort.

I understand but am disappointed the event had to bow to threats of violence.

We have armed people currently marching for reparations and the line is the event tomorrow was cancelled due to threats of violence ?

We have armed people currently marching for reparations and the line is the event tomorrow was cancelled due to threats of violence ?
Are you talking about Reverend Turner's security detail?

I don't think politicians and John Legend canceled it due to last minute changes in all of their schedules.

reparations for who? sLavery ended 150 years ago. We've sort of been paying reparations for the last 50 years in the war on poverty, and welfare payments.
we have the civil rights act and.other legislation.
we have black leaders in government, industry and sports.

and yet there are still pockets of discrimination; but why am I expected to pay for those people's indiscretions

Second Amendment March held today.

I imagine that march & the possible protests surrounding it, and in retaliation to it are all involved in why the event was cancelled. But that's just supposition. I would also imagine the politicians and John Legend not wanting to be tied to that march was an issue as well. Hopefully they will reschedule when that march is over and done with sometime later this year. This could have been a powder keg if everything had gone as scheduled.

Looks like it was about money

I just assumed, haven't heard anything since it broke in the news that it was canceled. The lawyers and clients had to know they wouldn't meet those requests. So they threw an event commemorating the riot in the crapper which would have brought more light on what happened. They threw a small but not inconsequential amount of money away for the direct survivors and a moderately sizeable seed fund for the coalition. All that for something that will be a blip in the news reels. Many people won't even read about it, or will soon forget.

I think the media surrounding the event would have served all those involved much better than that protest request. Once again, hopefully they will see it that way somewhere down the line and back off on those requests. It should be rescheduled later this year if saner minds prevail.

reparations for who? sLavery ended 150 years ago. We've sort of been paying reparations for the last 50 years in the war on poverty, and welfare payments.
we have the civil rights act and.other legislation.
we have black leaders in government, industry and sports.

and yet there are still pockets of discrimination; but why am I expected to pay for those people's indiscretions
They mean reoperations for the wealth lost and suffering incurred during the Tulsa Race Riot.

so who pays? I wasn't even born then and my family didn't move to Tulsa until 1949
so who pays? I wasn't even born then and my family didn't move to Tulsa until 1949
The state of Oklahoma or the City of Tulsa probably, since justice was never served on the people who did it and the families of those who had their businesses burned down or their houses destroyed probably lost out on passing down generational wealth and it set back that entire community for generations. I look at it kind of like when a police officer kills unlawfully destroys property whilst in the line of duty (like running into a parked car during a car chase) who pays? The city pays.

The state of Oklahoma or the City of Tulsa probably, since justice was never served on the people who did it and the families of those who had their businesses burned down or their houses destroyed probably lost out on passing down generational wealth and it set back that entire community for generations. I look at it kind of like when a police officer kills unlawfully destroys property whilst in the line of duty (like running into a parked car during a car chase) who pays? The city pays.
I think the insurance companies still in business should contribute.

Reactions: watu05
we need a bi-partican commission to find out who was responsible and send the bill to their families.

we need a bi-partican commission to find out who was responsible and send the bill to their families.
We could seize the assets of those families and give them to descendants of the victims... I can almost guarantee you that at least a few of the people involved probably got rich in the oil booms in the early days of Tulsa though... so we might be seizing mansions.

Aston, surely you know that the oil industry has been a series of booms and busts over the last 10 decandes.

tulsa should host a annual memorial with apolitical discussion groups to create real solutions. unlike the current campaign of blame, shame and finger pointing

tulsa should host a annual memorial with apolitical discussion groups to create real solutions. unlike the current campaign of blame, shame and finger pointing
There have been many people working on this, with discussion and searches for a solution taking place over many days, weeks, months, during at least the past 20-30 years. So thanks for your already acted out suggestion between many hundred if not thousands of empowered, and very intelligent people. You act as if this only started being discussed a couple of months ago. You are talking about two immovable forces, in those that have had their relatives treated horribly and deserve some reparation, and the government not wanting to spend the many hundreds of millions of dollars justifiably deserved by descendants of those affected.

Last edited:
There have been many people working on this, with discussion and searches for a solution taking place over many days, weeks, months, during at least the past 20-30 years. So thanks for your already acted out suggestion between many hundred if not thousands of empowered, and very intelligent people. You act as if this only started being discussed a couple of months ago. You are talking about two immovable forces, in those that have had their relatives treated horribly and deserve some reparation, and the government not wanting to spend the many hundreds of of millions of dollars justifiably deserved by descendants of those affected.
Well said. To be clear, I believe there were a set of scholarships created by the descendants, however that, to me, represents presenting the descendants with an opportunity to earn wealth rather than the lost wealth itself (as well as the interest on that wealth that the families could have accrued over 100 years). There were also insurance cases after the riots, however, I’m not sure of what their outcome was other than the fire department testifying that firefighters were kept from putting out the blaze by armed White Tulsans. I’m also not sure how fair the insurance cases would have been to the claimants considering the climate of the day.

Well said. To be clear, I believe there were a set of scholarships created by the descendants, however that, to me, represents presenting the descendants with an opportunity to earn wealth rather than the lost wealth itself (as well as the interest on that wealth that the families could have accrued over 100 years). There were also insurance cases after the riots, however, I’m not sure of what their outcome was other than the fire department testifying that firefighters were kept from putting out the blaze by armed White Tulsans. I’m also not sure how fair the insurance cases would have been to the claimants considering the climate of the day.
No insurance was paid to any of the property or business owners.

To be fair to those being requested to pay, if one government/insurance/whatever entity pays what it truly owes,(Not just a sincere, but token scholarship fund to give descendants educational opportunities.) this sets a precedent. That opens the flood gates for massive payments to all blacks for all incidents, and then for slavery in general. So I do understand their position. Because then the Indians would come calling. And then the Japanese. We can't afford to pay for all the atrocities we have committed.

Last edited:

To be fair to those being requested to pay, if one government/insurance/whatever entity pays what it truly owes,(Not just a sincere, but token scholarship fund to give descendants educational opportunities.) this sets a precedent. That opens the flood gates for massive payments to all blacks for all incidents, and then for slavery in general. So I do understand their position. Because then the Indians would come calling. And then the Japanese. We can't afford to pay for all the atrocities we have committed.
Agreed.

To be fair to those being requested to pay, if one government/insurance/whatever entity pays what it truly owes,(Not just a sincere, but token scholarship fund to give descendants educational opportunities.) this sets a precedent. That opens the flood gates for massive payments to all blacks for all incidents, and then for slavery in general. So I do understand their position. Because then the Indians would come calling. And then the Japanese. We can't afford to pay for all the atrocities we have committed
I’m being facetious, but we could suggest the state / city pay for the necessary rebuilding and improvement materials and mandate that descendants of those who were known to have committed crimes, do community service with a lengthy equal in proportion to the fraction of heritage those ancestors make up in their lineage. People would (irononically) call it slavery.

The sins of the father...

My question is, how long can the sins of our ancestors be assumed by our progeny? Are the Indians going to come after the British? Are the Chinese going to ask for repetitions from the Mongols?
Moreover, what happens if we now have ancestors on both sides of history? What if I now have a great grandparent who burned down a Greenwood house and another great grandparent who lived in one?

Last edited:
any reparations for the burned out merchanalnts in Minneapolis, Ferguson, Baltimore, . . . by blm etal?

any reparations for the burned out merchanalnts in Minneapolis, Ferguson, Baltimore, . . . by blm etal?
Insurance at least covered some of that, if not all. In Tulsa, insurance didn't cover one claim, and most of the survivors were relocated to internment camps in other states. So no, it's not the same thing.

Reactions: watu05
I’m being facetious, but we could suggest the state / city pay for the necessary rebuilding and improvement materials and mandate that descendants of those who were known to have committed crimes, do community service with a lengthy equal in proportion to the fraction of heritage those ancestors make up in their lineage. People would (irononically) call it slavery.
Indentured servitude?

The sins of the father...

My question is, how long can the sins of our ancestors be assumed by our progeny? Are the Indians going to come after the British? Are the Chinese going to ask for repetitions from the Mongols?
Moreover, what happens if we now have ancestors on both sides of history? What if I now have a great grandparent who burned down a Greenwood house and another great grandparent who lived in one?

How long would you propose? It is an interesting question. Same goes for blame and possession. Look at Israel and the Arabs Today. Or the Balkans.

watching a report on a WWII event whare a sailor was able to save many lives. great report until they had to relate that the sailor was black. why does that matter? he was a hero, his race was not relevant to the story

watching a report on a WWII event whare a sailor was able to save many lives. great report until they had to relate that the sailor was black. why does that matter? he was a hero, his race was not relevant to the story
Considering the role of African Americans in the military in WWII, there wasn't a lot of heroic acts available for them to distinguish themselves. Might be a bit different in later conflicts due to the integration of the military after WWII.

so it is good and necessary to classify . the individual. black or white, Republican or democrat, gay or straight, tall or short, . .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT