ADVERTISEMENT

What Happens?

goldenhurricane2

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Sep 9, 2006
Does TU step up and make a change or will Derrick take the path of least resistance and hide in his office to wait this out?

We are stuck with him for at least 1 more, likely 2 more seasons.

The subject no one wants to think about but rears its ugly head during down times in the program..if this continues another couple of years is dropping to FCS or worse a possibility?

The subject no one wants to think about but rears its ugly head during down times in the program..if this continues another couple of years is dropping to FCS or worse a possibility?

That would make the faculty super happy. It would also please a few trustees as well. Sad that we even have to worry about it. I don’t think that’s what’ll happen, but it is something that sits in the back of my mind.

The beautiful thing about Tulsa is it does not take long to get things fixed here, once Montgomery is gone, give someone a year or 2 and they can have us being good again.

Using UCF as an example, what they did with the same talent that went 0-fer and then 6-7 should be recognized. I don't think we're as far away from being great again as it looks on the field.

1 qb doesn't produce you can chalk it up to a recruiting mishap, when 3 in a row can't pull it off you have to wonder if they're not being prepared to play college level football

Using UCF as an example, what they did with the same talent that went 0-fer and then 6-7 should be recognized. I don't think we're as far away from being great again as it looks on the field.

1 qb doesn't produce you can chalk it up to a recruiting mishap, when 3 in a row can't pull it off you have to wonder if they're not being prepared to play college level football

The thing about UCF is that their athletic programs have the full support of the school. Ours do not. We not only have to fight an external battle for support, we also have to fight an internal battle to stay alive.

Reactions: TulsaAM and 4tu2
We are stuck with him for at least 1 more, likely 2 more seasons.
I agree, and I think he'll be gone after those two more seasons because a P5 school hires him. Tulsa's defense is going to be good the next couple years, and the offense will be ran by Zach Smith, who is lightyears ahead of our other QBs. Tulsa is going to win the next two years with Smith, and then Monty will probably get hired away.

The thing about UCF is that their athletic programs have the full support of the school. Ours do not. We not only have to fight an external battle for support, we also have to fight an internal battle to stay alive.

We need a better AD. The school supported athletics much more when Bubba was here. There was still faculty who didn’t like athletics, as there is at all schools, but Bubba did a good job with donors, faculty, athletes, and students.

Gragg turns his paperwork on time, apparently.

I agree, and I think he'll be gone after those two more seasons because a P5 school hires him. Tulsa's defense is going to be good the next couple years, and the offense will be ran by Zach Smith, who is lightyears ahead of our other QBs. Tulsa is going to win the next two years with Smith, and then Monty will probably get hired away.

You’re much more optimistic than I am. I want what’s best for the team, so I’ll be ecstatic if you’re right. I hope I’m wrong, but I’m not sure just Smith is enough. Our WR corp is BAD.

And as a few others have noted Smith didn’t have the best numbers at Baylor, minus the OU game. Better than current QBs? Absolutely, Evans, Kinne, Johnson, Smith level of skill? He hasn’t shown that in the video we have available.

Would be a mistake of epic proportion. Football is cyclical....some years you’re up, other years you’re down. We’ll be fine in due time

All other sports, including basketball, would probably end up in that conference with ORU.

No thanks.

All other sports, including basketball, would probably end up in that conference with ORU.

No thanks.

Absolutely accurate post Babe. This is what many people do not realize. Without FBS football our conference affiliation is MVC (and not the old MVC level) at best and Southland or Horizon are very strong possibilities.

Would be a mistake of epic proportion. Football is cyclical....some years you’re up, other years you’re down. We’ll be fine in due time
It is also possible to go into sn extended funk, e.g., most of the 90s.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
That would make the faculty super happy. It would also please a few trustees as well. Sad that we even have to worry about it. I don’t think that’s what’ll happen, but it is something that sits in the back of my mind.

Since there is a little doubt about my assertions about the majority of the faculty’s feelings towards athletics (specifically football), please take an hour or so to attend a faculty senate meeting. You will quickly see how much disdain a large number of faculty have for athletics.

Since there is a little doubt about my assertions about the majority of the faculty’s feelings towards athletics (specifically football), please take an hour or so to attend a faculty senate meeting. You will quickly see how much disdain a large number of faculty have for athletics.
If faculty can't be supportive or at least not adversarial of all aspects of the university experience then they should probably have their asses moved on down the road and find a job they do like. Academia sure as hell isn't the real world.

No thanks.

Absolutely accurate post Babe. This is what many people do not realize. Without FBS football our conference affiliation is MVC (and not the old MVC level) at best and Southland or Horizon are very strong possibilities.
Without FBS football 85 women’s scholarships are no longer needed and you don’t have a revenue stream to absorb them. The optics on that are too bad. Football ain’t going anywhere.

Without FBS football 85 women’s scholarships are no longer needed and you don’t have a revenue stream to absorb them. The optics on that are too bad. Football ain’t going anywhere.

Do the academics know that is the question. Lots of very smart people don't understand how complicated an athletic program is.

Dude.. Oklahoma hasn’t made it legal for recreational use yet...

No thanks.

Yeah.. we sure as hell couldnt beat North Dakota State... I see the Lone Star conference in our future if the academics get their way.

Who cares what the faculty thinks? That’s like a Burger King store manager who wants to sell tofu nuggets. There are probably a small number of rainmaker faculty who bring in students and grants and a whole bunch who are basically fungible. You can’t run any organization like this.

Reactions: shon46
Who cares what the faculty thinks? That’s like a Burger King store manager who wants to sell tofu nuggets. There are probably a small number of rainmaker faculty who bring in students and grants and a whole bunch who are basically fungible. You can’t run any organization like this.

I tend to agree with you. I’m just telling you what I know.

9288503-large.jpg
They are tanned, rested and ready.

ap-tulsa-ad-gambling-investigation-3_4.jpg

His Twitter account is still there.

https://images.google.com/url?sa=i&...aw3H1oY6MEFA3EuPCPH_901Q&ust=1540214996062862

Last edited:
Do the academics know that is the question. Lots of very smart people don't understand how complicated an athletic program is.

Very old post but highly doubtful. Many have the cliché impression that sports is nothing but a bunch of dumb jocks. This despite many of the same professors having athletes in their classes, and at least at TU, they frequently out perform their non-athletic counterparts.

I think some of the disdain is the requirement they make special exceptions for athletes when they’re away for games on test days or due dates on papers. I remember a few being so argumentative the student-athletes had to get coaches to email the professors before the professor would listen to the student.

That is the problem, the "few trustees" you are talking about. They have run the University itself into the ground and need to "move on"...

Very old post but highly doubtful. Many have the cliché impression that sports is nothing but a bunch of dumb jocks. This despite many of the same professors having athletes in their classes, and at least at TU, they frequently out perform their non-athletic counterparts.

I think some of the disdain is the requirement they make special exceptions for athletes when they’re away for games on test days or due dates on papers. I remember a few being so argumentative the student-athletes had to get coaches to email the professors before the professor would listen to the student.

The faculty is a group of delusional individuals who believe that the only reason they aren't teaching at an Ivy League school is because of the oppressive educational system... well, most of them :)

The faculty is a group of delusional individuals who believe that the only reason they aren't teaching at an Ivy League school is because of the oppressive educational system... well, most of them :)

I can also vouch that this is true for a portion of the faculty. There are plenty of staff and some faculty who love TU sports, but the sparky wheel gets the oil.

This a perfect example of lack of leadership form the AD. Some standard needs to be established during the summer for each individual sport based on the schedule. The professors have a right to be upset because they do in most cases have to go out of their way to accommodate the individual student athlete but leadership from both sides needs to set a reasonable standard of what the professor will and wont do, adjusted assignment turn in dates, and testing dates. That requires significant work but the rewards for both sides could be immense.

Reactions: TUMU and TU_BLA
I know y'all are going to think I am smoking crack with this...but why couldn't we bring Ross back? It's been a few years since this all went down. I'm sure he learned his lesson. TU did the right thing but it was mostly for optics since Ross didn't commit any crimes...he was just a prize government witness against the bookie.

And I did know Ross was still on twitter. He doesn't tweet very often. He's a good guy.

This a perfect example of lack of leadership form the AD. Some standard needs to be established during the summer for each individual sport based on the schedule. The professors have a right to be upset because they do in most cases have to go out of their way to accommodate the individual student athlete but leadership from both sides needs to set a reasonable standard of what the professor will and wont do, adjusted assignment turn in dates, and testing dates. That requires significant work but the rewards for both sides could be immense.
And it really should not be that hard for them to figure it out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT