ADVERTISEMENT

Week 16 Bowl Projections

One thing we have not discussed is the waiver so that teams do not have to be .500 to participate in a bowl game. This has let all the old biases come back out - it is a throwback to the 1980s this year. If they were not obliged to place Cincinnati against a P5 there would be zero games of G5 versus P5.

One thing we have not discussed is the waiver so that teams do not have to be .500 to participate in a bowl game. This has let all the old biases come back out - it is a throwback to the 1980s this year. If they were not obliged to place Cincinnati against a P5 there would be zero games of G5 versus P5.

That's not why. ESPN created its little bowl pool to do that. Something the AAC should never have agreed to be a part of. Now there are eight conference with a tie in to a bowl, of which one is a p5 final selection which never gets filled. But they dangle that p5 option in front of the other g4 and they drool, so ESPN turned them collectively into a lever to keep the g4 from ever playing a p5 in a bowl game on a neutral field where the bias system might be exposed. It's why the AAC holding on to the NY6 is so important.

I am not familiar with the pool system. Do you have a link?

I’m late to the party here but I am seeing that the military, independence and guaranteed rate are cancelled and possible that armed forces and Birmingham get cancelled

I am not familiar with the pool system. Do you have a link?

Google ESPN bowl pool.

It depends on who wrote the info how they spin it, but all of the articles explain the basic premise.

Example:
New Mexico bowl has MAC, CUSA, AAC, and maybe the sunbelt? ESPN will make the best match up for that bowl out of those available teams.

I’m late to the party here but I am seeing that the military, independence and guaranteed rate are cancelled and possible that armed forces and Birmingham get cancelled

One of Birmingham or Armed forces is definitely getting cancelled. The other three already are gone from what is on the interwebs.

Reactions: loca2874
Brett McMurphy
@Brett_McMurphy
·
8m
Independence Bowl has officially been canceled, sources told
@Stadium
. Guaranteed Rate Bowl also canceled.
@Stadium
earlier reported Military Bowl and either Armed Forces or Birmingham Bowl also would be canceled

Surely ESPN doesn’t want the black eye of
denying Army a bid even if they don’t care about TU

Is it coming down to Tulsa or Army versus winless Vandy???

So the AAC came late to the party but it looks like they are on the hustle.

The military bowl is owned basically by Navy. The armed forces has strong ties to both Navy and Army. I assume Navy would help Army in this case, rivals but brothers and all.

Looks like there is something tracking around trying to work it out now. Something not so clear earlier.

Military bowl cancelled? Armed forces bowl or not much for us. Really odd that we have not heard anything. Almost all the bowls are set

Multiple Mississippi State media outlets now reporting same. Looks like this may be it.

By the way, is this thread just a couple of guys stalking Kelly Hines Twitter feed? Lots of info here that looks to be cut and pasted.

Would rather play Army than a crappy MS State team.

I have a dream, this Miss St game, two OSU victories next year and we take our rightful place next year as the AAC team the committee dumps on before winning our NY6 and claiming our national title as the only undefeated team in the nation.

It sounds better with an SEC team to start, but Army works for me.

Reactions: drboobay
Mississippi State had a brutal schedule. They are #37 on Sagarin. Looking past their W/L record, this could be a fun game. They beat Missouri 51-32 yesterday.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
By the way, is this thread just a couple of guys stalking Kelly Hines Twitter feed? Lots of info here that looks to be cut and pasted.

I wasn't following any Tulsa people. I had a few twitter feeds, the Army one after the Independence bowl cancelled, and Boise as I though they might be a possible TV match up ESPN liked. I wasn't expecting a p5 team game after a little while just because no one was getting them. Google searches a bunch lol

A lose lose for TU. Win and whooppee beat a 2-8 team. Lose and you’re not any good. Maybe Zaven will want to prove his stuff vs
the SEC.

Reactions: HuffyCane
A lose lose for TU. Win and whooppee beat a 2-8 team. Lose and you’re not any good. Maybe Zaven will want to prove his stuff vs
the SEC.
I don’t look at it this way, especially if a win by us is paired with a Cincinnati win over Georgia.
It would be sweet to say the American went 2-0 vs the SEC in bowl games, no matter the opponents.

Mississippi State had a brutal schedule. They are #37 on Sagarin. Looking past their W/L record, this could be a fun game. They beat Missouri 51-32 yesterday.

They could have easily ended up beating Arkansas early this season and had a tough rivalry game with Ol Miss they lost by a touchdown. They got worked by kentucky but the other losses or to Alabama, Texas AnM, Georgia, and Auburn. So not great, not terrible. Kids get to stay close, get some family and friends to watch, a p5 opponent.

Not the worst.

Reactions: quincy101
I don’t look at it this way, especially if a win by us is paired with a Cincinnati win over Georgia.
It would be sweet to say the American went 2-0 vs the SEC in bowl games, no matter the opponents.

We would be undefeated versus the SEC and only non p5 with wins against them this year. Not sure any conference is playing an SEC team three times so it will definitely be an angle we can work.

They are punishing Leach. We are the best defense available. They are forcing him to play lowly Tulsa and trying to embarrass him. If we win, it makes him look like a chump. If we lose, he’s done nothing to improve his standing in the SEC. Other SEC schools can use it as negative recruiting against him. “Play for us and you’ll play for a National Championship or bowl against Penn State. Or go play for that crazy man and bowl against Tulsa. Your choice.” And the SEC gets more bowl money either way. The scam continues. At least we get a chance at another P5 win. We haven’t had many winnable ones lately. We can beat them without Zaven. But man they have some speed.

Aren't they paying us over 2 mil to play at their place in a couple years?

I would only have been more disappointed
With no game or playing Vanderbilt
Accessible for fans of both teams at least
The stadium was crap when we played Utah there

Well a ton of sub 500 teams mostly SEC are in bowls
ESPN still showing Army in the Independence without an opponent
Did the Knights get left out? That would be a shame

MSU is 3-7. Wins against LSU, Vanderbilt & Missouri. Losses to Alabama, Texas A&M, Georgia, Auburn, Arkansas, Mississippi & Kentucky. They were ranked #14 early in the season, after beating then #6 LSU. Leach said their 51-32 win over Missouri yesterday was the first time they put things together.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT