ADVERTISEMENT

Was it the Scheme or Less Talent-The 3-3-5 vs 4-2

Oak775

I.T.S. Sophomore
Gold Member
May 31, 2020
Tulsa‘s shift from the 3-3-5 to 4-2 will be interesting. Finding quality/premium defensive lineman has always been a challenge, and we’ll see what will happen from now till May with recruiting and the portal.

College Football viewers all over America watched TCU’s defense get torched. Was it the scheme? Bad alignments? Just physically being beat up front? I’d say the correct answer is D) All of the above.

As most TU fans know, TCU’s defensive coordinator is Joe Gillespie, a long time TU coach and DC.

If TU is going to transition this may be a good time. The defense graduated a lot of linebackers and had a portal transfer. With the 4-2, the burden of finding more “finished product” linebackers will be less. On the other hand, the demand for quality/defensive lineman will be greater. I look at the portal everyday, and it’s like an open bazaar. You’d better know the market and understand “value”. We’ll see. A hell of a lot of rocks have got to be turned over in very short order.

Bottom line? If we are going to make a change we have the scholarships available, and we can make the change in a disciplined and orderly way. This is not going to be, so far anyway, a dumpster fire.

The jury is still out. “We’ll see.“

Last edited:
You did listen to Coach G at the presser yesterday, didn’t you?

Both. The 3-3-5 is designed to defend spread offenses and space. It’s always going to be somewhat vulnerable to pro style highly physical teams which utilize TE packages. Conversely, the 4-2 adds an D Lineman to help with the power run game at the expense of speed at the second level. Talent is almost always the determining factor regardless of scheme

Reactions: Oak775
Tulsa‘s shift from the 3-3-5 to 4-2 will be interesting. Finding quality/premium defensive lineman has always been a challenge, and we’ll see what will happen from now till May with recruiting and the portal.

College Football viewers all over America watched TCU’s defense get torched. Was it the scheme? Bad alignments? Just physically being beat up front? I’d say the correct answer is D) All of the above.

As most TU fans know, TCU’s defensive coordinator is Joe Gillespie, a long time TU coach and DC.

If TU is going to transition this may be a good time. The defense graduated a lot of linebackers and had a portal transfer. With the 4-2, the burden of finding more “finished product” linebackers will be less. On the other hand, the demand for quality/defensive lineman will be greater. I look at the portal everyday, and it’s like an open bazaar. You’d better know the market and understand “value”. We’ll see. A hell of a lot of rocks have got to be turned over in very short order.

Bottom line? If we are going to make a change we have the scholarships available, and we can make the change in a disciplined and orderly way. This is not going to be, so far anyway, a dumpster fire.

The jury is still out. “We’ll see.“
We'll use a new scheme they invented in Tehas.

Is that up to proper snarkiness levels @Henry Kendall.

I still think we end up playing in the 4-2-5. After Guerreri (probably spelling that incorrectly, sorry) talked about using the best system for the players, he proceeded to talk about how he thought the 4-2-5 allowed the defense to give a wider range of defensive disguises and simplified things for his defense. I don't imagine he will work with a defensive scheme that he's completely unfamiliar with.

He's been in the 4-2-5 his entire career, and both he and Wilson spoke of how highly they thought of how it was run at OSU (both OSU's)

I’ll be really surprised if the base is anything other than a 3 man with a standup edge or tweener LB overhang on the outside.

So long as it isn’t the Todd Graham 2-2-7 “Nobody Tackles” defense we saw at times, I’m cool.

Man, that scheme is gonna be huge next year when we’re playing Georgia in the national championship.
I wonder if Gillespie was thinking his new team was going to be playing for the national championship.

Crazier things have happened.

I still think we end up playing in the 4-2-5. After Guerreri (probably spelling that incorrectly, sorry) talked about using the best system for the players, he proceeded to talk about how he thought the 4-2-5 allowed the defense to give a wider range of defensive disguises and simplified things for his defense. I don't imagine he will work with a defensive scheme that he's completely unfamiliar with.

He's been in the 4-2-5 his entire career, and both he and Wilson spoke of how highly they thought of how it was run at OSU (both OSU's)
There were a lot of times our 3-3-5 under Gillespie moved to a 4-2-5 based on what Zaven was doing. When he walked down to the end of the DL, it essentially became a 4-2-5 with 2 wide ILBs a little shaded to the opposite side of Zaven (because no one ran to his side). Honestly, the 4th DL/DE is going to morph a lot between true edge rusher and an OLB that drops into coverage based on situation. Think James Harrison or Von Miller (although he has been almost exclusively an edge rusher the last 3-4 years).

Either way, I don't care what he runs if he can keep us from getting skull dragged by Navy's option.
Whenever TU plays Navy the old Navy head ball coach didn’t have to give a big Ra Ra pep talk. Just these words.

”Guys it’s party time this week. We’re playing the 3-3-5.”

All the 3-3-5 D’s have a “drug” problem when it comes to big tight end power offenses.

”They get drug up one side of the field and drug down the other.”

I was downtown and pitching a new multi purpose indoor arena. I didn’t have time to listen to the new coach “G”.
I too was at my day job, seeing patients. ‘Cane-man and others were gracious enough to post recordings.

There were a lot of times our 3-3-5 under Gillespie moved to a 4-2-5 based on what Zaven was doing. When he walked down to the end of the DL, it essentially became a 4-2-5 with 2 wide ILBs a little shaded to the opposite side of Zaven (because no one ran to his side). Honestly, the 4th DL/DE is going to morph a lot between true edge rusher and an OLB that drops into coverage based on situation. Think James Harrison or Von Miller (although he has been almost exclusively an edge rusher the last 3-4 years).
Guerreri’s 4-2-5 did not seen to typically involve any stand up LB’s from what I have seen. It was a 4 man front with two DE’s in stances.

The irony is that an odd stack is a slight adjustment from an old 50 front 3-4 which the NFL has used as the primary run stop front for many years. Still only 3 D-lineman. The key is a war daddy at nose that can eat up both gaps while holding point and not allowing the lineman to climb to second level which frees up the linebackers to make plays.

Legit D-lineman and shut down corners are unicorns. They are very hard to find.

Last edited:
The irony is that an odd stack is a slight adjustment from an old 50 front 3-4 which the NFL has used as the primary run stop front for many years. Still only 3 D-lineman. The key is a war daddy at nose that can eat up both gaps while holding point and not allowing the lineman to climb to second level which frees up the linebackers to make plays.

The new (to us) 4-2-5 is basically just making a NFL nickel defense your base D in efforts of limiting the ability of the spread. It’s apparently susceptible to RPO’s and some iso type run schemes because it makes the second and level play instinctively rather than prescriptively.

Not to mention a hybrid player that is big enough to run stop, quick and/or explosive enough to defeat the block of a HB/TE, and fast enough to cover a WR.

Or a free with the best brains and best range on the team.

Last edited:
Both. The 3-3-5 is designed to defend spread offenses and space. It’s always going to be somewhat vulnerable to pro style highly physical teams which utilize TE packages. Conversely, the 4-2 adds an D Lineman to help with the power run game at the expense of speed at the second level. Talent is almost always the determining factor regardless of scheme
The three down linemen was effective when we had Jaxon Player and Big Cat doing damage...
not so effective this year with lesser talent when the opposing QB had five seconds to scan
the receivers .

Not to mention a hybrid player that is big enough to run stop, quick and/or explosive enough to defeat the block of a HB/TE, and fast enough to cover a WR.

Or a free with the best brains and best range on the team.
Ed Reed...what you're saying is we need to go find the next Ed Reed

Yes. Players make a difference regardless of scheme.
Yep. 2 seasons ago we had a 3 man front with Player, Stevenson, and Goodlow commanding double teams on almost every play. That freed up our LBs to do some serious damage vs the run or with one of them blitzing on pass plays. And if teams took their chances not doubling Jaxon Player then usually the play broke down.

Finding that “monster” in the middle is a challenge. Moreover, finding “press coverage” corners is even more difficult. When you look at the portal you’ll find 5’10” 185 lb cornerbacks and 6’2” 285 lb defensive lineman all day long.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT