ADVERTISEMENT

Voter disenfranchisement

I don't get it.
We've had since January to register.
Mail in ballots went out about October 1.
Early voting is underway.
Election day is a week away.
But we are told to be fair we must wait 3 or 4 days after election day to count late and provisional ballots.

I don't get it.
We've had since January to register.
Mail in ballots went out about October 1.
Early voting is underway.
Election day is a week away.
But we are told to be fair we must wait 3 or 4 days after election day to count late and provisional ballots.

We have had votes accepted which were postmarked on the election day every election for a long time. The vote has not been counted, but PROJECTED on election day, for a long time. You are just aware of it this year, because Republicans/Trump are throwing fits about it. Quit getting your panties in a wad about something that's not new. It's been this way forever and a day. We have never counted them later on and had to change the result so it's never been an issue. Maybe Gore could have held the election up for this reason, but he eventually conceded, and let it go.

Reactions: astonmartin708
We have had votes accepted which were postmarked on the election day every election for a long time. The vote has not been counted, but PROJECTED on election day, for a long time. You are just aware of it this year, because Republicans/Trump are throwing fits about it. Quit getting your panties in a wad about something that's not new. It's been this way forever and a day. We have never counted them later on and had to change the result so it's never been an issue. Maybe Gore could have held the election up for this reason, but he eventually conceded, and let it go.
If you were a candidate regardless of the party and you thought the numbers would be close, I doubt you wouldn’t want every vote counted instead of projected as quickly as possible.

Imagine if we lived in the 1830's pre telegraph. They wouldn't know the results for months after the election. Up until 1937 inaugurations weren't held until March because of the time involved in counting ballots. The January inauguration is a relatively modern invention while by contrast the Tuesday in November convention is an archaic invention chosen so voters could attend church on Sunday then ride to their polling place on Monday and vote on Tuesday. November was chosen because it was after harvest season (something that effects comparitively few of us these days)

Right now we're having to deal with a sickness that is challenging our ability to act modern my in terms or safe and secure communication but also hamstringing ourselves in terms of flexibility on the availability and timing of that communication for no reason other than it was good for the farmers of our nation 230 years ago.

Not disagreeing we are hampering ourselves. We can and should do better but I when irregularities like what happened in Iowa with the Dems popped up, it was a reminder of how far we still need to go to be able to get it right. Unfortunately we are just not there yet!

If you were a candidate regardless of the party and you thought the numbers would be close, I doubt you wouldn’t want every vote counted instead of projected as quickly as possible.
When did I ever say they shouldn't be counted. I was just talking about aTUfan going on about the postmark, and counting them after the election occurs on a Tuesday. He thinks they should all be in on Tuesday, and it hasn't been that way for way decades.(many decades) I was simply making aTUfan aware that the election 'counts' on the night/morning after the election he thought he was seeing every four years, were projections. And the full count happens quite a bit later.(like a couple of four days later)

My point is there are lots of opportunities to get your vote in on time but we have to delay the final count for days.

My point is there are lots of opportunities to get your vote in on time but we have to delay the final count for days.
You moran, it is not being delayed. It is taking place the same time it has taken place for 50 years. You just never knew when it took place.

Other than hanging chads in Florida, I don't remember a delay.
You WEREN'T looking at a final count when you thought you were. There just wasn't enough ballots left to be counted to make matter. The only thing different this year is that there may be enough ballots to make it important to wait on the Projection. There was always ballots still to be counted after the election. How many ways can I state it. Dense.

No mater the deadline, ther are people who will miss it.
So what.

That does not justify shortening the deadline that has existed for 40 or 50 years. You are not going to win this argument.

They have tried lengthening the deadline and in most cases failed. Trying to shorten it has failed as well. It has almost maintained the deadline that already existed, which is the way it should be.

You have been arguing for shortening the deadline without first realizing it.

I said nothing about shortening the deadline. if anything we have expanded it with mail in and early voting.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I said nothing about shortining the deadline. if anything we have expanded it with mail in and early voting.
Another voice from the peanut gallery. So you are finally admitting you are the pos that is aTUfan. You can't expand a deadline. You can only shorten it, extend it or eliminate it. The # of voters participating is expanded, that's it.

You did talk about shortening it, you just didn't realize it. It has always been counted days after the election, because it simply had to be postmarked on the election day in many states. Now you don't want it counted after election day, which is shortening the deadline. This wasn't a problem in 2016 when Trump won the election with 42% mail in and early balloting.

You complain about my way or the highway. You want to go into the precinct and vote. Those that are more concerned with the virus than you are, want to mail in their ballot by the already set deadlines many elections ago. But you want it my way or the highway.

so how many days after the election should we accept ballots?
As long as it's postmarked by the election day of the 3rd, as long as it takes.

We shouldn't allow Trump's attempt to slow the postal system down, to make any headway. You shouldn't be asking how many days after, but instead when it should be postmarked by.

....cont
Nor should the expanded mail in votes cause votes not to be counted that are postmarked by the appropriate day. Covid should not force one to change your voting procedure. If it takes a few more days to count them, then it takes a few more days. That is not a great inconvenience over a covid affected election. A couple of days is just a couple of days. The person elected will still go into office on the date they should go into office, without any difficulties over a couple of days counting.

As long as it's postmarked by the election day of the 3rd, as long as it takes.

We shouldn't allow Trump's attempt to slow the postal system down, to make any headway. You shouldn't be asking how many days after, but instead when it should be postmarked by.
Give me a fxxxing break. The postal equipment had been scheduled for removal long before trump.

....cont
Nor should the expanded mail in votes cause votes not to be counted that are postmarked by the appropriate day. Covid should not force one to change your voting procedure. If it takes a few more days to count them, then it takes a few more days. That is not a great inconvenience over a covid affected election. A couple of days is just a couple of days. The person elected will still go into office on the date they should go into office, without any difficulties over a couple of days counting.
If anything Covid should make our society more receptive to adaptability in communication / correspondence. It should be more accepted to have vote by mail now than it ever has been before.

Give me a fxxxing break. The postal equipment had been scheduled for removal long before trump.
BS you are buying the excuse, and the reason they didn't replace them with functional replacements was? Besides there are many other reasons than Trump slowing the postal system down to give time.

BS you are buying the excuse, and the reason they didn't replace them with functional replacements was? Besides there are many other reasons than Trump slowing the postal system down to give time.
A couple of things for the record!
The issue Trump has with the Postal Service is that it’s not profitable but he thinks it should be run like a Fed-Ex with gov subsidies. Dems included $25 billion for the USPS in their coronavirus bill in May, along with an additional $3.6 billion in election security funding. The White House and Democratic leaders tentatively agreed to as much as $10 billion for the Postal Service in their negotiations, but that was contingent on the rest of the agreement being nailed down. Everyone agrees the postal service is broken, the question still lies in what changes need to be made and how much do you give to fix it if it really needs a complete overhaul.

A couple of things for the record!
The issue Trump has with the Postal Service is that it’s not profitable but he thinks it should be run like a Fed-Ex with gov subsidies. Dems included $25 billion for the USPS in their coronavirus bill in May, along with an additional $3.6 billion in election security funding. The White House and Democratic leaders tentatively agreed to as much as $10 billion for the Postal Service in their negotiations, but that was contingent on the rest of the agreement being nailed down. Everyone agrees the postal service is broken, the question still lies in what changes need to be made and how much do you give to fix it if it really needs a complete overhaul.
That's all fine, and I don't disagree with those problems. But he used that problem as cover to make the moves he made with the postal system to infringe upon voters rights to vote by mail in the time of covid 19.

That would be conjecture and not fact. Maybe if he hadn’t started trying to fix the overall system I might buy what your selling but basically his argument is why keep giving money to repair a dilapidated car when the answer is to just buy a new car.

....cont
Nor should the expanded mail in votes cause votes not to be counted that are postmarked by the appropriate day. Covid should not force one to change your voting procedure.

Doesn't the fact that the IRS considers the postmarked date as the definitive date set the expectations for many if not most people?

Doesn't the fact that the IRS considers the postmarked date as the definitive date set the expectations for many if not most people?
It should, cept for voters who don't mind infringing on other voters right to vote.(and are ignorant of the facts in many instances)

Last edited:
Reactions: tbryce
That's all fine, and I don't disagree with those problems. But he used that problem as cover to make the moves he made with the postal system to infringe upon voters rights to vote by mail in the time of covid 19.
The machines were scheduled for removable, before trump.

The machines were scheduled for removable, before trump.
And why were there no replacement machines ready, or a schedule to fix them way before the election. It was awfully convenient. I don't think there are too many coincidences of that nature. And why weren't there emergency funds provided to replace them quickly, provided by Trump, if it was a coincidence when it happened. I guarantee it would have been taken care of way before the election with every other president that was in office before him. They still have not been replaced or fixed. It was cover for him to gloss over it, and leave them out of service for the election. I'll bet Trump was giddy over it.

They were not needed. Less snail mail.
That's funny. Of all their cost saving measures they instituted(consolidation of post offices, and retirement of many machines other than sorters) They saved 91m. I'm guessing the machines sorters they cut cost them somewhere between 25 and 50m. That is far short of their shortfall of 1.6 Billion the post office is facing in shortfalls. Spending between 25-50m is a drop in the bucket, and would have been a pittance to spend on this presidential election. Small change to account for the one presidential election that would be negatively affected by the retired sorters. The post office is facing much greater challenges that 25-50m.

I'm sure the budget and schedules were already set for no manpower to operate, or maintain
Thus the national emergency allocation except for Trump. You know this, but still hang on it, because you can. You, as always, are FOS. FO.

Last edited:
Thus the normal emergency allocation except for Trump. You know this, but still hang on it, because you can. You, as always, are FOS. FO.
Last time I checked, Congress allocated funds. The bipartisan effort in May to allocate those funds was not agreed upon. You are pinning this on Trump when the blame is on Congress. Let’s be honest! The thought of Sleepy Joe actually giving Trump a real fight back then was a bad joke. Sure Trump could have taken funds from the Mil and paid for a short term fix but why give money to fix something you plan to overhaul your next 4 yrs?

Last time I checked, Congress allocated funds. The bipartisan effort in May to allocate those funds was not agreed upon. You are pinning this on Trump when the blame is on Congress. Let’s be honest! The thought of Sleepy Joe actually giving Trump a real fight back then was a bad joke. Sure Trump could have taken funds from the Mil and paid for a short term fix but why give money to fix something you plan to overhaul your next 4 yrs?
Because in the short term it affects this specific covid affected election. But you already know this.

Because in the short term it affects this specific covid affected election. But you already know this.
Hindsight is 20/20 but NOBODY thought in March that Sleepy Joe would ever be a contender let alone we actually need to fix anything until the media made him one.

Hindsight is 20/20 but NOBODY thought in March that Sleepy Joe would ever be a contender let alone we actually need to fix anything until the media made him one.
Your view on whether anything needed to be fixed is biased towards Trump to the hilt. It most definitely needed to be fixed. That their would be a massive onslaught of mail in votes coming in, which most definitely needed those sorters for the election, was very well known. I guarantee you Trump knew it. Those who didn't know it were either ignorant of the consequences of the situation, or biased towards Trump.

Your view on whether anything needed to be fixed is biased towards Trump to the hilt. It most definitely needed to be fixed. That their would be a massive onslaught of mail in votes coming in, which most definitely needed those sorters for the election, was very well known. I guarantee you Trump knew it. Those who didn't know it were either ignorant of the consequences of the situation, or biased towards Trump.

Trump could literally crap in vases and hand them out to his supporters telling them they were maga good luck election flowers for their dining room table and 80% of them would have them on their table until Nov 4th.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT