ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT WCQ Thread

My son thinks it's hilarious that everyone tries to blast high hard shots on frame all the time and then get upset when the keeper saves them. It's easier for keepers to get to everything waist high and higher. Truth is, the lower the shot the tougher it is for the keeper to get down and save and also harder to control the rebound. Costa Rica's goal last night came off a shot (waist high) that the Panamanian keeper saved easily but he parried it directly to a Costa Rican player who knocked a low hard shot past the keeper. Panamanian keeper really should have caught the 1st shot (or at least attempted to).

I am convinced the US has air superiority in any game they play. McKennie has like a 40 inch vertical and gets higher than any player I've ever seen. I think that's where the US needs to look for their chances (and McKennie and one other last night missed chances for headers yesterday...and McKennie's runs in the box off set pieces are dynamic and no one can keep up with him, see what he's been doing at Juve the last 3 weeks).

And maybe this is the argument for Sargent to be in the lineup as well considering the service that Robinson and Dest seem to be dishing right now.
Agree 100% with shot location. The girl who takes our PKs hits the lower right corner everytime. Ball will be on the ground and only struck with moderate force. However placement is perfect. Never seen one saved

Agree 100% with shot location. The girl who takes our PKs hits the lower right corner everytime. Ball will be on the ground and only struck with moderate force. However placement is perfect. Never seen one saved
Every PK taker gives away where they're going...or so my son says. He's got this crazy knack of knowing where they're going and almost beats them to the spot every time. Only the best struck and placed shots beat him on PKs. His teammates have figured this out though so they don't even look at the goal anymore once they're handed the ball. They stare straight at him.

Reactions: lawpoke87
Every PK taker gives away where they're going...or so my son says. He's got this crazy knack of knowing where they're going and almost beats them to the spot every time. Only the best struck and placed shots beat him on PKs. His teammates have figured this out though so they don't even look at the goal anymore once they're handed the ball. They stare straight at him.
Most 11-12 year old female keepers aren’t quite that athletic :).

Most 11-12 year old female keepers aren’t quite that athletic :).
My son wasn't either so he had to get a bead on things and he's a very literal person so when the GK coach tells him not to guess on PKs, he doesn't guess. He's one of the best I've ever seen against PKs and I know he took a page out of the old Union HS GK who won the state championship 4 years ago (and stoned Dike in a PK shootout vs Edmond North)...I think his name was Logan something. Kid was phenomenal at PKs and usually got in shooters' heads by deking one way and they'd try to change where they were going. My son says he takes his read, dekes the other way so they don't change their mind and they usually end up hitting the ball too close to him so they don't miss thinking he's going the wrong way. His Union coach put him in for a shootout last Spring in a game in Collinsville where he had been on the bench all game because it was the other GKs turn to play that game. He helped Union win the shootout 4-2 with 2 saves and a hand on a 3rd.

For your daughter's team, I haven't seen the GK play but I assume she will need to face PKs at some point. Key is to start with the toes on the line and the rest of the foot behind, big step forward in the direction your going and a good committed push. You can't cover the whole net so take away down low. If the shooter goes high, so be it. They have to be going forward to take as much of the angle away as possible. Get to the ball before it can get really wide on you.

Last edited:
No one has mentioned the double back flip by A. Robinson after his game winner. His play & athleticism is 1st rate. I'll bet Beer?halter's stomach did a double back flip when Robinson was in the air.

Reactions: nevadanatural
Tim Weah will not play today. Hell, he can't even get into Canada. The Canuck gov't says he is not fully vaxed, although he is fine in France & the US. At least he will be able to play this week vs Honduras...back on (frozen) home soil.

And well, that didn't take long. 1-0 Canada as A. Robinson fails to clear in the 7th minute.

Half-time & it's still 1-0. Zardes up top & has lost the ball 3 times in the first 18 minutes, I started counting after twice. Cp has just lost it. I think that boy has Chelsea mental issues. He's taking corners and 1 out of 5 has been decent. McKennie has had our best chance with a header from CP's only good corner.

Nothing to report in the 2nd half. Beer?halter made a bunch of changes. Too little, too late. And the Canucks ice it in the 5th minute of stoppage time. Beer?halter is NOT a serious man.

Last edited:
I think our guys have had some issues with how fast the ball runs on turf.

We need a fake Dan Beebe of Concacaf.

This team has too much talent to play at the level of crap. Zardes shouldn’t start. The fifth sub was idiotic.

Canada is the class of Concacaf. They deserve it.

Best team in this qualifying table hands down.

Reactions: loca2874
No. Canada is much better.

We will be OK if we play well Wednesday. Need 3 points.
That was more of a remark on how we played. Canada is a good team. Those two strikers are god awful fast.

our back line was trash today and Canada should have had a couple more

Reactions: drboobay
That was more of a remark on how we played. Canada is a good team. Those two strikers are god awful fast.

Remember Canada was also without their best player Davies.

What has happened to Pulisic btw? He is in a bit of a funk.

Finally, this US team will not realize its full potential without a reliable striker. After the last two matches I think we must go back to Pepi. Gives us our best shot.

Dest and Robinson are quality fullbacks but the central defense is dicey. Who will we see Wed? Zimmerman and Miles R?

BTW how is John Brooks form right now for his club? I would think some experience out there paired up with Richard might be worth trying down the line.

Reactions: quincy101
Miles R. went the whole game. Zimmerman should have started again. Zardes went 69 minutes & was his usual pitiful self. Beer?halter's brain freeze failed to thaw in time.

Reactions: nevadanatural
Canada plays like the US used to, defend, defend, defend then counter with speed. I don’t know if the slow build we do now is any better or not.

Berhalter treated this game like Frank Haith treats non-conference games, like it didn't matter. Start your best 11. Then we bring Morris AND Arriola on. I don't get it.

At least Arriola made things happen.

I think they missed Weah. Aaronson was not sharp.

The big thing to me is how we can’t win outside of the US. When we play in the cup as long as we make it to the World Cup, we have to play outside the US and that doesn’t make me feel confident

Panama seems to have the toughest road left among the top 4 with Canada. USA, and Mexico remaining.

Still I am not breathing easy by any means. We are doing OK but not super impressive. I hope it is due to the improved quality of concacaf top to bottom but not so sure.

The big thing to me is how we can’t win outside of the US. When we play in the cup as long as we make it to the World Cup, we have to play outside the US and that doesn’t make me feel confident
Again, Berhalter is throwing points away with these lineups.

I thought Beer?halter was using a lot of subs late, and sure enough, he used one too many & we played with only 10 men the last few minutes...which led to the Canucks 2nd goal very late.

Here's Beer?halter after the match: "It was an entire team effort that was dominant". "They couldn't handle our physicality". Is this guy living in a dream world?

Sure hope Tyler Adams is OK.

Similar to Frank’s comments about the close loses. Close losses are most generally on the coach and this one certainly was.

I thought Beer?halter was using a lot of subs late, and sure enough, he used one too many & we played with only 10 men the last few minutes...which led to the Canucks 2nd goal very late.

Here's Beer?halter after the match: "It was an entire team effort that was dominant". "They couldn't handle our physicality". Is this guy living in a dream world?

Sure hope Tyler Adams is OK.
Canada looked like the more dangerous team - despite our dominating posession. We had very few genuine scoring chances and Canada was pretty much free on goal multiple times.

To take my mind off of worry about WC qualification, I see where Chris Armas, who many will remember, is now a Man Utd assistant coach. I thought I saw him on the Red Devil's bench & couldn't believe my eyes.

Another Yank in the EPL. And perhaps another candidate one day to coach the MNT, along with Jesse Marsch. That is, two Americans, getting the requisite experience to successfully coach our guys back to prominence. Not, of course, to say that we won't be successful this go-round. But if Beer?halter fails, he should be sacked, forthwith. And one would think that the Poohbahs running the USSF have begun to draw up a list, just in case. As far as I'm concerned, we lose to Honduras and an "interim" coach would have about 6-weeks to get our stuff together before the March window. Couldn't do much worse.

To take my mind off of worry about WC qualification, I see where Chris Armas, who many will remember, is now a Man Utd assistant coach. I thought I saw him on the Red Devil's bench & couldn't believe my eyes.

Another Yank in the EPL. And perhaps another candidate one day to coach the MNT, along with Jesse Marsch. That is, two Americans, getting the requisite experience to successfully coach our guys back to prominence. Not, of course, to say that we won't be successful this go-round. But if Beer?halter fails, he should be sacked, forthwith. And one would think that the Poohbahs running the USSF have begun to draw up a list, just in case. As far as I'm concerned, we lose to Honduras and an "interim" coach would have about 6-weeks to get our stuff together before the March window. Couldn't do much worse.
The 2 losses in the cycle are because Berhalter predetermined it would be OK to not win those games and that resting the core was imperative for the 3rd game in the window. Remember, he played a not best XI vs Panama as well and this last lineup had some deficiencies as well, especially at the 9. Against teams that like to counter like Canada does, we needed a hold up 9 and Zardes isn't that guy. Zardes doesn't provide much on the ball at all actually. He works hard, he chases, he causes some disruption, but he's not going to add to the creativity and technical skill needed to generate goals by himself. He's always going to be that cherry picker who gets goals by being in the right place at the right time...it works fine vs Honduras and El Salvador and maybe Jamaica, but not Canada, Mexico, and Panama (at least this cycle). There are no throw away games in WCQ

Well, we certainly need firepower. And we have some of those big bodies not called up such as Pefok & Dike who both should be available for March. Not to mention Carrott Top on the wing. We should also have Reyna back for March. All the MLS guys that Beer?halter has been playing will go on another 6 week break from games.....again! The thing is, without a result vs Honduras, we'll need some luck with the other top 4-5 teams losing. I'm less inclined to trust to luck with Beer?halter running the show.

T. Adams & C. Richards both out tonight due to injury vs Canada. And Tottenham Hot Spur want Wes McKinnie bad for about 40 million euros but he'll have to wait until the summer xfer window to join them.

I hope frostbite & double pneumonia doesn't result to any player tonight, although it wouldn't bother me too much if Beer?halter suffers both. It would serve him right for his dumba$$ scheduling.

The ball's going to be harder than a rock tonight, headers won't be fun.
-4 is what I saw is predicted at kick. That's just stupid. The other part is it will be difficult for long clearances, goal kicks, etc. and I expect the pitch to be slicker than snot. Feet will be so cold it will be difficult for first touches and getting a feel for the ball. I also expect goalkeepers to struggle handling the ball cleanly. While field players can wear warmer gloves and hand warmers in them, goalkeepers have nothing they can do to keep their hands warm. GK gloves do not provide much warmth at all and they can't wear warm gloves underneath (fit and flexibility issues). My son's GK coach has told him he can wear latex or nitrile gloves under his GK gloves as they will help a little to retain warmth in the hands. And anyone who has played baseball knows that catch a hard shot in the palm on a cold day that it stings like hell. Same in soccer for GKs. US strikers should follow every shot to the GK tonight. There's bound to be an abnormal rebound due to the cold

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT