ADVERTISEMENT

Ukraine…..does he or doesn’t he?

Which one? That China is sitting it out? That a majority of the world may view US/NATO encirclement of Russia as a threat to Russia? (Heck even Tucker was in on that) . That a majority of the world wants peace?

You may think giving Russia a break is ridiculous (so do I) , but that doesn’t mean that view is a majority biew. Blame controlled press (Russia, China), historical ties (India), blame whatever you want, but it’s there.
In some ways, i kind of agree here. We wouldnt allow China, Russia, India, or any potentially hostile or rival power take a foothold in Canada or Mexico. We in fact have a long stated policy, The Monroe Doctrine, which officially states that this hemisphere is ours.
But, I disagree in that this was not the total provacation/invitation for Putins aggression.
NATO was exposed as weak before his invasion, our allies hadnt held up their end of the defense expenditures and it shows as they all are scrambling to make up for past neglect.
The Obama administration drew repeated red lines in the sand that were crossed multiple times. These incursions were met with symbolic bomb runs, sanctions or drone attacks.
Trump indicated an unwillingness to keep being the worlds shield and demanded the allies pay their share. Causing a perceived crack in the alliance, but, in reality it exposed how weak the EU countries had grown since the wall came down.
Biden has made it a priority to publicly purge the military of what he sees to be an undesirable element, the politically incorrect career members that really only want to kill people, blow sh!t up, and not sing kumbaya.
Biden's military leadership bungled its only major operation, the retreat from Kabul (how do you screw up a retreat? Seriously, hire the French as consultants if you cant do it right). No top brass was fired for the fiasco. Milley is still there. That failure called our logistical ablility into doubt and our unwillingness to support an ally was severely exposed.
Then, Biden committed a critical sin. He publicly said we would not meet a limited incursion in eastern ukraine with force and consistently indicated that we were unwilling to meet them on the field or in the air, because they have nukes and economic sway over europe.
Had we projected power. Possibly initiated a training excercise with Ukraine during Putins build up, joint armor ops, joint air ops.. anything other than a red line, maybe Putin would have backed down and we could have negotiated a solution before a whole country lay in shambles.
Such an action might have also given China pause on Taiwan. Rather than convincing her that we dont have the stomach to take on a bully and we likely wont isolate our largest trading partner like we did Russia.

Reactions: URedskin54
OK, but it is arguably the view of a majority of the world. Like it or not, it is out there and influences the decisions and policies of other countries.
Those new members were sovereign nations who had been under the thumb of Russia. They were smart to pursue membership and we did the right thing welcoming them into the league of common defense of free people's (well, except for Turkey now, maybe Hungary, but that is another discussion).

Putin's Russia on the other hand has obviously evolved into a totalitarian state with state sponsored extra judicial killing of dissidents as a core policy. He has the moral low ground.

If there is anyplace we might agree, it would be that Ukraine should not have been so aggressive in their rhetoric around NATO membership lately. Striving more for a Finland model seems a better path. But honestly I am unsure how much it would have mattered.

BTW I think that, one the whole, the Biden administration has handled this situation well. Just need to expedite getting weapons and equipment to the Ukranians.

Last edited:
Reactions: watu05
I’m still struggling to understand how a NATO “encirclement” of Russia was supposed to be some kind of threat to Russia. Never mind that there wasn’t anything close to an encirclement of their massive country, there’s not a single person in the world who thought NATO was going to conduct some kind of invasion of Russia. No, Russia just didn’t like that a bunch of countries they consider theirs decided they were better off partnering with the west. There was no physical threat to them. Just the reality that every country that joins NATO will never again be part of Russia and Russia would never be restored to its former glory.

Last edited:
Reactions: TUMe and Clong83a
After being thoroughly defeated in Kyiv there are reports that Russian troops conducted mass executions on their way out. Hopefully not true

Recognizing that a large part of the world holds the US responsible for Russia’s invading the Ukraine doesn’t mean that view is correct. It is simply recognition that it exists and is something to be dealt with as it affects other countries’ actions.

Perhaps those opinions may be affected by news of Russian war crimes or other information that comes out.

Recognizing that a large part of the world holds the US responsible for Russia’s invading the Ukraine doesn’t mean that view is correct. It is simply recognition that it exists and is something to be dealt with as it affects other countries’ actions.

Perhaps those opinions may be affected by news of Russian war crimes or other information that comes out.
Source?

I guess WA didn't have a source for his claim that "as large part of the world" holds the US responsible for Putin invasion. I know, China is a large part of the world.

I guess WA didn't have a source for his claim that "as large part of the world" holds the US responsible for Putin invasion. I know, China is a large part of the world.
Maybe he was talking bout the Democrat world. The far left is foreign territory to me.

The ruble just hit a 2 year high against the euro.

Just saw this morning that Russia’s economic ministers are predicting between an inflation rate between 12 and 20 percent. Can’t be great for Putin back home.

Putin’s undergoing an operation for some sort of cancer and other speculation about his poor health is interesting. The physical stress he must be under isn’t healthy either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT