ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Game Thread

Also, next season will probably be the first time we get ranked high by the AAC in preseason. Recruiting by Haith and staff has finally started meeting expectations in the last couple of years. Hopefully this conference record will help us gain a great frontcourt player or two for next year.
I feel we will still be predicted to finish in the bottom of the American as they always put us because we will lose Korita and Igbanu next year. Korita is our best outside shooter other than Horne. I like what Ugboh is doing but igbanu is our best inside man. So can we have guys step up.

Penny is still going to get great recruits and then Sampson and Marshall I still feel are the best coaches in the American. I am not as optimistic when it comes to the ranking but I do believe that Haith will have the team ready to out perform like he has every year. Except last year.

Nonsense.
It’s not nonsense. He’s had a couple decent wins, but he’s also had head scratching losses just like every season he’s been here and if I had to put odds on it, I would still say those bad losses are likely to keep the team out of the NCAA tournament for a 4th (almost 6th) straight season.

I’m as ecstatic as anyone on the board about the win streak, but longevity at TU needs to be determined by NCAA appearances. If we have credit for the NIT, Dougie have been at TU longer than he was.

About time for your usual “FIRE HAITH” bull:crap:
If he rights the ship and wins the conference (which would almost assure an NCAA bid) or If he doesn’t win the conference and gets an at large bid’d be all for him staying.

If we let him stay after an NIT appearance, I’m confident that he would have a good team the next season. But it’s the season after that which I worry about. Are we content with one NCAA appearance every 6 years?

Last edited:
Reactions: Original TULSAFAN
Ummm...
I reserve the right to scream FIRE HAITH if he doesn't get this team to the NIT - at a minimum.

I have high expectations and standards.

How many seasons and how many NCAA appearances? How many NCAA wins?

If he doesn't get to the NIT, he should be gone. I expect and demand post season play and success out of the program. Nothing against Frank. I wish him success. Rooting for him.

C’mon Aston. I’m as anti-Haith as anyone, but can we just enjoy this while it lasts? This team is in the middle of a Mighty Ducks run and you’re calling for Gordon Bombay’s head.
I’m not calling for his head. I’m in wait and see mode. Kinda like Jerry Jones with Jason Garrett. “Can you get over the hump? If you can, I’m all in.”

C’mon Aston. I’m as anti-Haith as anyone, but can we just enjoy this while it lasts? This team is in the middle of a Mighty Ducks run and you’re calling for Gordon Bombay’s head.
Would he still be calling for Haith's head if the team won the NIT? Can't let go of that anti-faith-in-Haith. This team is going to a tourney. There's no way we're going to break down enough to not at least get an NIT bid.

I’m not calling for his head. I’m in wait and see mode. Kinda like Jerry Jones with Jason Garrett. “Can you get over the hump? If you can, I’m all in.”
Haith has had some streaks before where it felt maybe he had turned the corner but he hadn't. On the other hand, it's really going to stink if he puts together a deep run into the tournament and then leaves for newer/greener pastures. If he finishes in top 3 of conference, gets an at large and goes to the second round, do we extend him 1 year, 3 years, 5 years, something else? That's going to be a tough decision.

Would he still be calling for Haith's head if the team won the NIT? Can't let go of that anti-faith-in-Haith. This team is going to a tourney. There's no way we're going to break down enough to not at least get an NIT bid.
I would give him a very short extension if he gets to the NIT. I am not a Haith hater. I am sick and tired of not making the post season every year.

Haith has had some streaks before where it felt maybe he had turned the corner but he hadn't. On the other hand, it's really going to stink if he puts together a deep run into the tournament and then leaves for newer/greener pastures. If he finishes in top 3 of conference, gets an at large and goes to the second round, do we extend him 1 year, 3 years, 5 years, something else? That's going to be a tough decision.
But a good decision to have to make none the less. Also let’s just get to the tourney before we worry about that lol. We still probably need to win at least 3 of Wichita x2, SMU, and Houston while not losing any of the rest to be an at large quality team. And we would need to see Haith shatter end his drought of tournament wins (both regular season and NCAA)

Hmmm I might be convinced with an NIT finals appearance. But if we only play one or two games in the NIT I’d be disappointed for the program

If he wins a tourney game or two, we won't have a choice, we'll have to extend him 4 or 5 years, or he will leave. He might leave anyway.

Reactions: JaniSWFC
If he wins a tourney game or two, we won't have a choice, we'll have to extend him 4 or 5 years, or he will leave. He might leave anyway.
With the fact that he had to take a pay cut he might leave. This is why it’s hard to keep a coach we have a small budget and if you show signs of success then bigger programs come calling with bigger pay days. This is life with Tulsa. You ain’t got to like it but it is the way it is.

That's not a negative in my opinion. We have a few coaches on staff and floating around with strong ties to the school. Throw in some up and comers and our choices should be good with a pretty strong team returning.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
But a good decision to have to make none the less. Also let’s just get to the tourney before we worry about that lol. We still probably need to win at least 3 of Wichita x2, SMU, and Houston while not losing any of the rest to be an at large quality team. And we would need to see Haith shatter end his drought of tournament wins (both regular season and NCAA)
You are so off on that. We could go 1-3 in those games win out the rest, and be on solidly the bubble. You think think we have to go 10-1 for the rest of the season, ridiculous. 14-4(8-3) and a win or two in the aac tourney get us on the bubble. 9-2 gets us in, regardless. We don't have to go 10-1, which is all but impossible.

Last edited:
It’s not nonsense. He’s had a couple decent wins, but he’s also had head scratching losses just like every season he’s been here and if I had to put odds on it, I would still say those bad losses are likely to keep the team out of the NCAA tournament for a 4th (almost 6th) straight season.

I’m as ecstatic as anyone on the board about the win streak, but longevity at TU needs to be determined by NCAA appearances. If we have credit for the NIT, Dougie have been at TU longer than he was.

No one cares what you think on this issue. He will probably be back if he wants to be back.

With the fact that he had to take a pay cut he might leave. This is why it’s hard to keep a coach we have a small budget and if you show signs of success then bigger programs come calling with bigger pay days. This is life with Tulsa. You ain’t got to like it but it is the way it is.
On the other hand, if it weren't for the financial issues that led to the pay cut, he'd be in his 2nd year as a lead assistant somewhere right now. He gave up a little to remain as a HC in a situation where otherwise he would have gotten the boot. He's very lucky to have gotten this long to turn the corner and prove himself again. Most coaches don't get that chance

The "one year of success deserves a 5 year extension" approach has gotten us into a lot of trouble the last decade or so. On the other hand, you're probably right. We should have Gragg make the call and then do the opposite.

Reactions: TUMe
On the other hand, if it weren't for the financial issues that led to the pay cut, he'd be in his 2nd year as a lead assistant somewhere right now. He gave up a little to remain as a HC in a situation where otherwise he would have gotten the boot. He's very lucky to have gotten this long to turn the corner and prove himself again. Most coaches don't get that chance
Really??!! How long was Doug here? Cmon man

The "one year of success deserves a 5 year extension" approach has gotten us into a lot of trouble the last decade or so. On the other hand, you're probably right. We should have Gragg make the call and then do the opposite.
Gragg is hoping this is the cement that gives Gragg a couple of four more years here.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
How did the UConn game thread turn into a fire Haith thread? Come on, UConn might not be a world beater but this was a trap game on the road sandwiched between the Tigers and the Shockers. We imposed our will before the zebras got them back in it then sent it to OT but the guys didn’t get down, they pulled it out. Celebrate now, fight about the future after the season is over.

Really??!! How long was Doug here? Cmon man
Uggh, don't remind me. That's part of the long term contracts based on one year of "success" causing us problems. That extension was professional malpractice by the AD. But I think that's more an exception, not the rule.

How did the UConn game thread turn into a fire Haith thread? Come on, UConn might not be a world beater but this was a trap game on the road sandwiched between the Tigers and the Shockers. We imposed our will before the zebras got them back in it then sent it to OT but the guys didn’t get down, they pulled it out. Celebrate now, fight about the future after the season is over.
Other than Box Score Aston's grumblings, I don't see this as a Fire Haith discussion. It's more of a what will happen if Haith does well for the rest of the season discussion.

If he rights the ship and wins the conference (which would almost assure an NCAA bid) or If he doesn’t win the conference and gets an at large bid’d be all for him staying.

If we let him stay after an NIT appearance, I’m confident that he would have a good team the next season. But it’s the season after that which I worry about. Are we content with one NCAA appearance every 6 years?

Coming from the man who is good with one winning season every 6 yrs..

Last edited:

you should stop your nonsense. Now.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
You are so off on that. We could go 1-3 in those games win out the rest, and be on solidly the bubble. You think think we have to go 10-1 for the rest of the season, ridiculous. 14-4(8-3) and a win or two in the aac tourney get us on the bubble. 9-2 gets us in, regardless. We don't have to go 10-1, which is all but impossible.
I don’t think that Memphis win will look as good by the end of the season. If our only q1 win ends up being Houston at home we won’t get in.

I don’t think that Memphis win will look as good by the end of the season. If our only q1 win ends up being Houston at home we won’t get in.
First of all 14-4 will likely win or tie for the conference lead. Second, we'll revisit this at the end of the season. You are so far off. It won't take a 10-1 finish to get an at large bid. If you wanted to argue for 9-2, maybe. There is no way anyone will finish any better than 15-3, and that's even doubtful. Stop being so negative for the sake of hanging on to your Haithred. It's ok to admit you might have been wrong.

Last edited:
First of all 14-4 will likely win or tie for the conference lead. Second, we'll revisit this at the end of the season. You are so far off. It won't take a 10-1 finish to get an at large bid. If you wanted to argue for 9-2, maybe. There is no way anyone will finish any better than 15-3, and that's even doubtful. Stop being so negative for the sake of hanging on to your Haithred. It's ok to admit you might have been wrong.
I’ve already said I might have been wrong. He has the team on a run. We will see to what degree it continues. I will be happy if it does.. You, on the other hand, refuse to acknowledge Haith’s recurring failures. Also, I wouldn’t count Houston or Wichita from going on runs of their own. Betting ithat Haith will win multiple games in the conference tournament is dumb. He is terrible in tournament formats with little prep time. I’m not sure that he’s won more than one round of a tournament since he’s been at TU.

Aston’s posts give me the hot poops... and if I wanted the hot poops, I’d just get the patsfan special from Taco Bell: 3 grilled stuffed burritos and a Diet Coke.

we know you hate haith with all your being, but it might be ok to enjoy some success when it happens... I’m not a big fan of what Montgomery has done, but I’m happy when we win football games and I enjoy watching TU play well.

You’re letting your hate ruin something that’s supposed to be fun. Maybe it’s time for you to find another hobby.

I’ve already said I might have been wrong. He has the team on a run. We will see to what degree it continues. I will be happy if it does.. You, on the other hand, refuse to acknowledge Haith’s recurring failures. Also, I wouldn’t count Houston or Wichita from going on runs of their own. Betting ithat Haith will win multiple games in the conference tournament is dumb. He is terrible in tournament formats with little prep time. I’m not sure that he’s won more than one round of a tournament since he’s been at TU.
Excuses to avoid the subject. We are not debating Haith's failure or success. We are simply saying what it would take to get in for any team, and talking about the possibilities of us getting there.(with the handicap of the couple of losses that we should have won) This was assuming we need to get to 14-4, and you acting like we'd need to be 16-2. That is bogus, unlikely, and not necessary. Nobody is going to go on that kind of run. We've already seen favorites go down several times and we're not even half way through the conference games.

Last edited:
Aston’s posts give me the hot poops... and if I wanted the hot poops, I’d just get the patsfan special from Taco Bell: 3 grilled stuffed burritos and a Diet Coke.

we know you hate haith with all your being, but it might be ok to enjoy some success when it happens... I’m not a big fan of what Montgomery has done, but I’m happy when we win football games and I enjoy watching TU play well.

You’re letting your hate ruin something that’s supposed to be fun. Maybe it’s time for you to find another hobby.
Give me a bag of Hot Fries.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT