ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa womens golf

I heard rumors of a return of the men's team. If they do, how are they offsetting it with Title 19?

I heard rumors of a return of the men's team. If they do, how are they offsetting it with Title 19?
It's 4.5 scholarships plus operating budget. There's a decent chance that women's soccer or rowing or softball or women's track is not using it's full allotment of NCAA allowable scholarships (either by coach design or TU admin design). And it's not just scholarships that count. You have to afford the same opportunity and resources (and Title IX goes way beyond just athletic scholarships although you might never know it because that's what gets the headlines). Besides when the men's golf team was cut I think it was an operating budget casualty not necessarily because they didn't want to allocate the 4.5 scholarships allowed by the NCAA so there might not be a title IX issue bringing it back. That's something Rick and the budget folks would need to figure out.

Through 1 round of their 2023 regional, TU leads after a team round of -9. Mississippi State is 2nd at -8 (#5 Mississippi State). Followed by Michigan (-5), Iowa State, Oregon State (-2), Virginia & Vanderbilt (-1), Tenneesee (E), and Xavier, Oregon (#8) Morehead State, and Lipscomb all coming in over par. 2 more rounds.

Top 5 teams from the each of the 6 regionals advance to the national championship round. It looks like 4 AAC teams are in (Tulsa, USF, UCF, and SMU).

Reactions: Hurricane99go
Title IX is a non-issue. We are even as of Feb 2023 the last I asked and were as many as +7 women a few years ago when we didn’t have a full football roster. Not only are the rosters filled with the maximum number of scholarship athletes, we have significant numbers of female walk-ons. We are in good shape.

Nevertheless, adding Men’s Golf would necessarily include the addition of low cost women’s sports to improve profitability of the entire enterprise. Think women’s bowling or bass fishing. Obscure sports that have low competition and training costs that attract athletes with hard coin to pay the balance their scholarship doesn’t cover.

TU could add as many as four sports tomorrow without significant capital outlay. Men’s golf was dropped as a political statement and as a shock tactic to steel the remaining staff during an austerity period. They needed to cut and they could have found it elsewhere and chose not to because men’s golf scholarships supposedly benefit students who can afford college at the expense of those that cannot.

The problem is recurring costs not offset by an increase in tuition/budget revenue.

We’ve plowed this ground before. I know nobody wants to believe it or listen to me, but it would take a minimum of $6 million perhaps as much as $11 or $12 million to restart the program, endow the scholarships and contract with the staff and travel companies. These are amounts over the roughly $200,000 or so per year that golf would generate in gross revenues like media rights, gate receipts and interest on restricted gifts.

This isn’t guessing. It’s fact told to me repeatedly by persons in authority since the program was dropped.

Last edited:
Title IX is a non-issue. We are even as of Feb 2023 the last I asked and were as many as +7 women a few years ago when we didn’t have a full football roster. Not only are the rosters filled with the maximum number of scholarship athletes, we have significant numbers of female walk-ons. We are in good shape.

Nevertheless, adding Men’s Golf would necessarily include the addition of low cost women’s sports to improve profitability of the entire enterprise. Think women’s bowling or bass fishing. Obscure sports that have low competition and training costs that attract athletes with hard coin to pay the balance their scholarship doesn’t cover.

TU could add as many as four sports tomorrow without significant capital outlay. Men’s golf was dropped as a political statement and as a shock tactic to steel the remaining staff during an austerity period. They needed to cut and they could have found it elsewhere and chose not to because men’s golf scholarships supposedly benefit students who can afford college at the expense of those that cannot.

The problem is recurring costs not offset by an increase in tuition/budget revenue.

We’ve plowed this ground before. I know nobody wants to believe it or listen to me, but it would take a minimum of $6 million perhaps as much as $11 or $12 million to restart the program, endow the scholarships and contract with the staff and travel companies. These are amounts over the roughly $200,000 or so per year that golf would generate in gross revenues like media rights, gate receipts and interest on restricted gifts.

This isn’t guessing. It’s fact told to me repeatedly by persons in authority since the program was dropped.
I feel like we could do better than men's golf. How about hockey?

Reactions: TulsaRulzOSUdrools
Do any schools in the midwest play lacrosse? I sometimes find myself watching college lacrosse when there isn't anything else on.

Mens golf and baseball need to return...

When i win the powerball, they will...

Enough talent in OK to win in both..

On a related note.. its totally wrong that Oklahoma never plays a game more than 40 miles from home on its way to the WCWS championship... cant wait for them to be in the SEC..

And I’ll be sittin on a cold keg outside Collins Hall clapping for you when you drop off the check. Just let me know …
And it will be a check with strings... if they want the $$$.. then it goes for that purpose..

And it will be a check with strings... if they want the $$$.. then it goes for that purpose..
TU renamed Noble Cane Private University? Our answer to T. Boone Pickens State University. 😁

I feel like we could do better than men's golf. How about hockey?
Lacrosse. It is getting super popular. It is blowing up out here in Jenks and across the country.
We should zig when other schools zag around us. I did agree with Huffy though. If you are sitting here being super adamant and are not ponying up some cash, you are being a punk. If you are not even showing up to games and whining about ticket sales on here, please stop talking. I

Last edited:
Reactions: chito_and_leon
Lacrosse. It is getting super popular. It is blowing up out here in Jenks and across the country.
We should zig when other schools zag around us. I did agree with Huffy though. If you are sitting here being super adamant and are not ponying up some cash, you are being a punk. If you are not even showing up to games and whining about ticket sales on here, please stop talking. I
so here's a question for you - what's the difference between field hockey and lacrosse? I believe that it's like yam vs. sweet potato (in other words, nobody actually knows if they're the same) but my kids seem to think they are different somehow.

If you really want to zig, how about jai alai? Tulsa has some history there.

so here's a question for you - what's the difference between field hockey and lacrosse? I believe that it's like yam vs. sweet potato (in other words, nobody actually knows if they're the same) but my kids seem to think they are different somehow.

Well...have you watched an actual field hockey match? It's insane and the goalkeepers actually wear pads vs lacrosse where the goalies just have giant butterfly nets on the ends of their sticks vs the small butterfly nets everyone else has.

There is a big difference and that's just from a casual observer. If you want to ask a real question about either ask this one about lacrosse because it is one of the biggest example of sexism in sports. Men wear actual full helmets that cover the entire skull with a protective cage facemask, like you would see in college hockey on down through mighty mites. Women's lacrosse players get basically a 2 bar mask that protects their eyes? Why? I know men can hack at each other with their sticks and women can't but I still don't see a reason why women shouldn't be wearing the full helmet set-up. It's just crazy

Reactions: TU 1978

Isnt Lacrosse basically Quiddich without flying brooms?

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Does anybody know how our golf team is doing ?
Currently tied for 9th at +4 and on holes 7-10. There are 15 teams yet to tee off. Key is being in places 1-8 at the end of stroke play to get into the match play quarterfinals matches

TU finished the 3rd round in 29th place and will not play the 4th round as they cut it to the top 15 teams. At the end of the 4th round of stroke play the top 8 teams will advance to the 8 team match play.

Nice season for the TU women. Let's hope the build on this momentum

Well...have you watched an actual field hockey match? It's insane and the goalkeepers actually wear pads vs lacrosse where the goalies just have giant butterfly nets on the ends of their sticks vs the small butterfly nets everyone else has.

There is a big difference and that's just from a casual observer. If you want to ask a real question about either ask this one about lacrosse because it is one of the biggest example of sexism in sports. Men wear actual full helmets that cover the entire skull with a protective cage facemask, like you would see in college hockey on down through mighty mites. Women's lacrosse players get basically a 2 bar mask that protects their eyes? Why? I know men can hack at each other with their sticks and women can't but I still don't see a reason why women shouldn't be wearing the full helmet set-up. It's just crazy
You’ve got a lot to learn. Men’s and women’s lacrosse, by design, is really two different sports with two different histories, and for quite awhile, informal rules and tactics that still exist in the culture. The only thing similar is the ball. The field, the equipment, the number of players, how and why players are spaced different, it’s all different. Helmets were once once required for women back in the 80’s in several states. The cry of sexism back then was that they weren’t required for boys, btw. Injuries went up substantially and the nature of the injuries, particularly concussions, went up remarkably. The tactics of the game also changed with substantially more physical contact and the physical stature of the recruited players changed too. Taller, larger women were recruited rather than faster, quicker. They took the helmets off and injuries went down, so long as they were wearing special eye gear. Florida is requiring girls to wear helmets post pandemic and the early stats indicate injuries are up.

Last edited:
You’ve got a lot to learn. Men’s and women’s lacrosse, by design, is really two different sports with two different histories, and for quite awhile, informal rules and tactics that still exist in the culture. The only thing similar is the ball. The field, the equipment, the number of players, how and why players are spaced different, it’s all different. Helmets were once once required for women back in the 80’s in several states. The cry of sexism back then was that they weren’t required for boys, btw. Injuries went up substantially and the nature of the injuries, particularly concussions, went up remarkably. The tactics of the game also changed with substantially more physical contact and the physical stature of the recruited players changed too. Taller, larger women were recruited rather than faster, quicker. They took the helmets off and injuries went down, so long as they were wearing special eye gear. Florida is requiring girls to wear helmets post pandemic and the early stats indicate injuries are up.
I think the correlation is obviously not due to the helmets but the fact that whenever you put pads and helmets on people, you're inviting them to hit the crap out of each other. I think women's hockey has got it right...there is no body checking allowed and only the most insignificant of coincidental contact is tolerated.

I don't know much about lacrosse tactically or all the rules...the only 1 I seem to know is if the ball leaves the boundary over the end line, the team that has a player closer to it gets possession. You always see an attacker behind the goal and I would presume for that reason for shots not on target. I do like the subs on a fly thing though within a certain zone near the team bench. I think this would make soccer a lot more fun :)

The same thinking about better helmets and pads actually inviting more hard contact has been advanced in football as well.

Reactions: HuffyCane
The same thinking about better helmets and pads actually inviting more hard contact has been advanced in football as well.
I think football is a different beast altogether. The injuries and concussions in football are a product of the equipment technology not keeping pace with the advancements in athlete training. Today's players are bigger and faster than their predecessors. And then there is a culture in football that starts when kids are 8 about knocking the crap out of your opponent. There are still way too many unnecessarily violent hits in pee wee through HS football egged on by coaches. My daughter was a pee wee cheerleader and the things coming from the parents and coaches trying to get a 4th grader to de-cleat an opponent was just scary. I mean at a 4th grade game I heard this from a mom "Wyatt...hit him so hard he forgets his name". Now college football and the NFL are trying to do damage control by eliminating the helmet to helmet hits and using the helmet to initiate contact. Still not enough. Want to reduce those types of hits...go back to padded leather helmets with no face masks.
As a kid and a dumb college student, we used to play tackle football all the time. No pads, no helmets. I think the worst injury any of us got was a busted lip because we caught a knee in the face trying to tackle someone's legs. I don't remember any serious injuries. Everyone led with their shoulders when making a tackle.

I'd like to know the concussion stats for top tier rugby. Most those guys wear are mouth guards.

Huffy is correct regarding lacrosse. Boys and girls play two very different games. I don’t have any real opinions on the difference other than girls sports do tend to be more physical than the same boys sport if given the same rules….see soccer. So lacrosse might have it correct?

Huffy is correct regarding lacrosse. Boys and girls play two very different games. I don’t have any real opinions on the difference other than girls sports do tend to be more physical than the same boys sport if given the same rules….see soccer. So lacrosse might have it correct?
So it's funny you mention girls soccer and the physicality. Boys are just as physical, it's just different. I had an experienced ref tell me that you actually need to ref girls' and boys' soccer differently with regards to what you're looking for. He said girls tend to get their arms up and elbows into the sides trying to create leverage, etc. and not as many fouls at the level of the feet. Boys tend to get their legs and hips into their opponents, more at the ball tackles at foot level, etc. I started being more conscious of these things when I ref'd girls' games and boys' games and he's 100% right. And if you listen to the comments from parents on the sideline, this also points to what they're watching and concerned with. Girls parents are way more worried about the pushing and elbows and the shirt grabs than they are the out of control tackles where you have an 11 year old just wind up and hammer the shin of an opponent (thank God for shin guards). The boys hate it when their legs and feet get kicked. They deal with the grabbing and shoving and just keep playing but if their big toe gets kicked accidentally everyone is howling for a card to be shown.

I did a U11 girls rec game on Saturday. One team was way better than the other BUT there were several instances of packs of girls in a crowd just flailing away at trying to kick the ball and shin guards getting hammered and what not. At half time one of the girls from the team getting stomped comes up and asks "Mr Ref, can you please watch them grabbing my shirt? #25 does it a lot." Last week in a tournament, I had a girl get cleated in the thigh and keep playing like nothing happened, but the little shove she got trying to win a 50/50 ball had her, her coach, and the parents screaming as if felonious assault just occurred.

So it's funny you mention girls soccer and the physicality. Boys are just as physical, it's just different. I had an experienced ref tell me that you actually need to ref girls' and boys' soccer differently with regards to what you're looking for. He said girls tend to get their arms up and elbows into the sides trying to create leverage, etc. and not as many fouls at the level of the feet. Boys tend to get their legs and hips into their opponents, more at the ball tackles at foot level, etc. I started being more conscious of these things when I ref'd girls' games and boys' games and he's 100% right. And if you listen to the comments from parents on the sideline, this also points to what they're watching and concerned with. Girls parents are way more worried about the pushing and elbows and the shirt grabs than they are the out of control tackles where you have an 11 year old just wind up and hammer the shin of an opponent (thank God for shin guards). The boys hate it when their legs and feet get kicked. They deal with the grabbing and shoving and just keep playing but if their big toe gets kicked accidentally everyone is howling for a card to be shown.

I did a U11 girls rec game on Saturday. One team was way better than the other BUT there were several instances of packs of girls in a crowd just flailing away at trying to kick the ball and shin guards getting hammered and what not. At half time one of the girls from the team getting stomped comes up and asks "Mr Ref, can you please watch them grabbing my shirt? #25 does it a lot." Last week in a tournament, I had a girl get cleated in the thigh and keep playing like nothing happened, but the little shove she got trying to win a 50/50 ball had her, her coach, and the parents screaming as if felonious assault just occurred.
I’ve found it interesting that ecnl girls soccer is played differently in different parts of the country. In Texas and the surrounding areas the game is a much more physical game than say on the west coast or even the Midwest. Texas teams tend to pic the most athletic kids (size and speed) and develop them into soccer players. You still see plenty of possession but most scoring opportunities are off through balls and crosses to big fast girls in the box. Lots of shoulders and body checks. Extremely physical games. Hard to argue with the end results as I would argue Dallas is the best city in the country for girls soccer.

West coast teams are generally all about the build up and possession. Pass the ball in the final third and create space for scoring opportunities. They want to beat you with skill opposed to speed and physicality. Really pretty soccer. Looking forward to seeing the two styles face each other next month in San Diego.

Reactions: TU_BLA
West coast teams are generally all about the build up and possession. Pass the ball in the final third and create space for scoring opportunities. They want to beat you with skill opposed to speed and physicality. Really pretty soccer. Looking forward to seeing the two styles face each other next month in San Diego.
I would concur on this as well...and even the boys and college men's games reflect these differences. TU's men certainly play a more west coast style (more Euro style as well) with the build up and patience coming out of the back. The good Stanford teams played like this. TU has added the physicality in as well...big bruising CBs, big bruising 6 and even a couple of 9s that could take a bump and keep on trucking. Even go back to when Ryan Pore, Lawson Vaughn, and Kyle Brown were at TU. That team played a more traditional midwest style with the big fast forward up top and a lot of over the top and through balls into space. No one could keep pace with Ryan and once he was on the ball he was so technically gifted there are many memorial plaques on fields where he destroyed a defender and took their soul :). Michigan, Michigan State, and Indiana play this way as well...and if you want to talk about a bruising team that combines with just being technically gifted, watch Indiana play.

It sounds like you live in a very urbane and civilized area. Girls hockey here is rough, it's not full checking but pretty close and lots of contact, as long as you can make some case for playing the puck. Same for soccer. My daughter regularly has bruises from the elbows, and girls run into each other with a full head of speed.

Actual footage of U14 girl's soccer game here.

MV5BMjI2MTA0NzgyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTQ2MjA3MjI@._V1_.jpg

• Haha
It sounds like you live in a very urbane and civilized area. Girls hockey here is rough, it's not full checking but pretty close and lots of contact, as long as you can make some case for playing the puck. Same for soccer. My daughter regularly has bruises from the elbows, and girls run into each other with a full head of speed.

They must use different equipment wherever it is you live.

No, I just know the rules for women's hockey forbids the full on checks. Now refs usually don't call a "checking" penalty unless it's full on blatant and through time players know where that edge is...but it's nowhere near the same level of physicality as the men's game.

As for soccer...this is a pretty accurate depiction. I centered a U14 girls game a few weeks back and the flying elbows and clutch and grabs and calf tosses were plentiful.

I can't psychoanalyze a bunch of teens but my anecdotal experience is that girls care more in all settings including soccer about the nature of social interactions, how do other girls comply with social norms and mores, and failing to comply with those mores and norms is another separate offense beyond just the physical pain. Boys are more outcome focused, does it hurt, and less focused on the social part. I've seen girls get more upset with things that seem minor but are not in line with expected behavior, but less upset with things that seriously hurt if the other girls was playing fair and being nice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT