ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa Vs Central Arkansas predictions

We should roll over a middle of the pack FBS squad. Offensive line and backs have a field day. Brooks over 200 yards.

Cane 48
Bears 17

Going conservative after last year.

TU 27, NorthCentralArkansasLittleRockStateUniversity@ConwayNextToTheSubwayTwoBlocksDownFromThePizzaHut 24. (NCALRSU@CNTTSTBDFTPH)

Hoping we blow them out and the rest of the points help to get rid of some of my anxiety from last year's performance.

I’ll go a little more conservative. I think we run it up early and Boomer finishes the game off. TU 2nd team D gives up a couple of late scores. 41-17

TU - 30
UCA - 28

Until I see or hear otherwise I’m not convinced we can stop anybody. And I don’t have much confidence in our offense.

Hopefully, I’m completely wrong here and I haven’t followed the off season nearly as close as I have the last 10 seasons. Work and family life has really eaten away and my free time unfortunately

I REALLY want to believe that we’ll come out with a chip on our shoulder from last season and just pound them like the good ol day. However, I’m still jaded by the Blankenship crap fest and the major pants shatting that happened last season...

I predicted an easy win, but if UCA comes out and gets ahead, it could be a nail-biter or go to OT

Central Arkansas lost 2 games last year - one to a solid KState team in Manhattan (beat Ohio State, lost to OU by 5), and once in the FCS playoffs. They were dominate in most of their games and ended the regular season FCS #3 (dropped to #10 after the playoffs). They haven't had a losing record for nearly a decade, they are 65/96 since 2010. Central Arkansas enters the season ranked #16 in the FCS. They bring a number of running backs that can put up numbers and their defensive backs seem to be above average. They have 11 players on the preseason all conference list (7 more on second team), just landed a FCS top 10 recruiting class, and it looks like their O-line may go 300+ across the board.

However... they only return two starters to that O-Line and they will be defending a brand new QB - not the wizard they had throwing the ball around last year. The QBs now on the roster include a RS Jr., a RS Soph., a pair of RS Frosh, and a true Frosh (Rivals seems to indicate none were highly recruited at an FBS level). I couldn't find a number for returning starters, but it seems after a quick glance at last years roster and this years that the turnover was about average. I'd think losing the QB and most of the line will hurt the offense - at least until they can gel. 2018 will be a somewhat down year for Central Arkansas.

Tulsa should be flat out more athletic across the board. While Central Arkansas is a good FCS team, they shouldn't stand up to the FBS level, particularly since I think replacing the QB and O line will cost them the crispness they need to pull an upset. Tulsa should be improved this year across the board and though the record last year was poor, there were many close games that could easily have shifted the season to acceptable. It seems Tulsa is also the more experienced team and adds in some bonus starters who missed much of last year from injury. Tulsa has the game at home and should be strongly motivated to make a statement.

Unless Tulsa decides this is a "gimme" and isn't ready to come out and win (or QB performance falls utterly flat), the Bears will not be able to withstand the Hurricane. Central Arkansas puts some points on the board, but they just can't hold on and TU goes into the half in control. I don't think the score will be a runaway because I'm not convinced Tulsa has the deep ball and we can play conservative and still win - plus, we are likely to use the opportunity to try some different personnel packages.

Tulsa: 38
Central Arkansas: 24

Bonus prediction: Luke Skipper takes the first snap, but another QB gets significant playing time.

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2018-preseason-preview-central-arkansas-ajaj

http://www.ucasports.com/news/2018/7/12/bears-places-11-on-all-slc-football-teams.aspx

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20180806123135199748904

http://ucasports.com/roster.aspx?path=football

Last edited:
Reactions: bigstar18
Love info on the Central Arkies. Thanks, Jesse TU. Keep it coming. Hate the Bonus Prediction. Why would someone else but Skipper take snaps? If it's close, we need him- if it's a blowout, he needs experience & confidence. Pull him very late in a blowout, I guess, to protect him.

Todd Graham was the "Program Builder" that gave TU fans some glory years to witness . Todd's staff recruited the best overall talent since Rader's 91 team . Coach Blankenship had two good years with Graham's recruits, then the wheels fell off until Montgomery got the benefit of Blankenship's players after Dane's sophomore season . Hopefully this season we will see how well Monty's recruits have progressed because the last two years have been under whelming . I'll be happy with six wins .

Todd Graham was the "Program Builder" that gave TU fans some glory years to witness . Todd's staff recruited the best overall talent since Rader's 91 team . Coach Blankenship had two good years with Graham's recruits, then the wheels fell off until Montgomery got the benefit of Blankenship's players after Dane's sophomore season . Hopefully this season we will see how well Monty's recruits have progressed because the last two years have been under whelming . I'll be happy with six wins .

I think a bowl game is within reach.

If there was a "builder" it was Stead. Todd was just handed the keys ... until he saw next year's shinier model.

The powers that be were thinkng of taking us to D2 until, Kragthorp.

That’s an option that remains on the table for many trustees. It’s also the opinion of a good number of faculty who absolutely hate athletics.

First of all, no. Second, that makes no sense... why skip FCS and go straight to Division II? I'd really have to evaluate my interest level at FCS, but at DII, I'm confident I'd lose interest. I hate this discussion because after investing tens of millions into a new stadium and signing a conference contract it isn't going to happen...but to tie it back into the thread:

TU Football budget per Equity in Athletics: ~$15,000,000
Central Arkansas football budget: ~$3,000,000
https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/compare/search

Blah blah blah...

JUST WIN BABY!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT