ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa has 8 losses this year now 9 losses

libertychamp

I.T.S. Position Coach
Sep 23, 2007
7 of those losses were by 7 points or less and we had the chance to win all 7 and should have won all. If we would have we would be 13 and 1 and Coach Haith would be up for Coach of the year but his in game last 5 minutes adjustments failed in all 7 of those losses.

I think we had really have 10 losses. I count Colorado State, (blown out) UNT ( though we would have been close), and UCF. (Not close)

Reactions: libertychamp
This team isn’t explosive. They battle to stay in games against decent competition.

They hover around getting blown out, but fight to stay alive…then barely lose.

I wouldn’t say “we’re close”. There are too many holes in the roster.
We do not seem to have the right talent to close games. Our best scorers do not close games well.

Reactions: libertychamp
We haven’t played an exceptionally tough schedule this season. It’s not like we’re playing too teams close… we’re playing bad teams close and getting blown out by good teams.

Reactions: TulsaAM and TU_BLA
7 of those losses were by 7 points or less and we had the chance to win all 7 and should have won all. If we would have we would be 13 and 1 and Coach Haith would be up for Coach of the year but his in game last 5 minutes adjustments failed in all 7 of those losses.
The last 5 minutes of the game has been his coaching kryptonite. He's been awful in the last 5 minutes of games his entire career. I'm not saying he's the only reason we're not winning games because our players just look like they absolutely don't care or are completely lost on the defensive end.

Reactions: Clong83a
Something we have been missing for years is that one guy that strikes fear in your opponents. Jarius Glenn I think was the last person who did that. He was a player that you just were not going to bully around and if you did you might catch an elbow the next time down the court. We do not have that kind of toughness anymore. The game has turned into finesse and our finesse just isn't happening. I rather see bruisers.

Reactions: loca2874
Greg Harrington or Tony Heard would find a way to win games at the end. But they were off plays that Self set for them to get a shot from their best spots. Right now it is everybody for themselves it seems and even when a play seems to work, there is no execution. Coaching and recruiting......coaching and recruiting.......coaching and recruiting..........

Reactions: TulsaAM
Something we have been missing for years is that one guy that strikes fear in your opponents. Jarius Glenn I think was the last person who did that. He was a player that you just were not going to bully around and if you did you might catch an elbow the next time down the court. We do not have that kind of toughness anymore. The game has turned into finesse and our finesse just isn't happening. I rather see bruisers.
Igbanu scared opponents. They didn't want him touching the ball. And DMFJ too. The possibility of Jefferies going full Mortal Kombat mode on you on either the defensive or offensive end was very real

Jefferies I think mentally was tough and could score on will but he didn't really scare you. Im talking about a person who might not be the best player on the court. Just an enfourcer of sorts. Willing to pick up a technical every now and then because the other team fouled our PG hard. After a few games seeing people with a little blood on their lips, the remaining schedule might be hesitant to get to rough with our shooters. Igbanu, I will give you that. He still never used his body for evil like I would have wanted but he was getting close. I want a hockey goon! lol

Jefferies I think mentally was tough and could score on will but he didn't really scare you. Im talking about a person who might not be the best player on the court. Just an enfourcer of sorts. Willing to pick up a technical every now and then because the other team fouled our PG hard. After a few games seeing people with a little blood on their lips, the remaining schedule might be hesitant to get to rough with our shooters. Igbanu, I will give you that. He still never used his body for evil like I would have wanted but he was getting close. I want a hockey goon! lol
Without a Bill Self or Tubby Smith walking through the door, we ain't getting any Eric Coley types any time soon. And you're right, this team is soft and just doesn't have that guy right now. I look at Haywood and think maybe he could be that type of player. Maybe Dalger? But none of those guys (and really no one on the team really) is willing to get their hands dirty like that. Maybe Nikita...I like how hard he plays and he does a lot of the right things when he is out there too...his feet are just too slow to be the inside guy.

The teams seems to follow haith's lead. Neither seem like they expect to win a close game in the last 5 minutes.

I know people on here bashed his skills at times but Elijah Joiner was a warrior. He hated to lose more than most like to win. You could see the emotion not wanting to lose on his face during games and after when we did lose. I suspect some of the new players have better skills (I will defer to the BB experts) but his desire and push of the team may have gotten us 2 or 3 wins in the close games. My 2 cents.

I disagree that we don't have guys who will fly around and mix it up.

That's not our problem. It is how thin we are in the interior and poor MENTAL toughness. Not poor physical toughness. It is a skill and mental toughness issue.

Our inside guys against Temple were out lengthed inside by a large margin. That is simply a lack of recruiting.

Reactions: drboobay
I disagree that we don't have guys who will fly around and mix it up.

That's not our problem. It is how thin we are in the interior and poor MENTAL toughness. Not poor physical toughness. It is a skill and mental toughness issue.
We don't have one person on our team willing to through a punch. I am not talking about physical in shape people. People willing to fly to the ball. I am talking about a Charles Barkley who is willing to knock your teeth out, take a technical, and be thrown out a game. I dont care if he scores one point. I want a guy who sends fear into the opponents heart. Like if you get out of line, I will knock your head off. I want a true enforcer. You are thinking I mean someone who will go after the extra rebound. Trust me, I do not. I mean literally what I am saying. I want blood on the opponents jersey. When you have a player like that on your team, you will see how much more often the lanes open up for our PG.

We don't have one person on our team willing to through a punch. I am not talking about physical in shape people. People willing to fly to the ball. I am talking about a Charles Barkley who is willing to knock your teeth out, take a technical, and be thrown out a game. I dont care if he scores one point. I want a guy who sends fear into the opponents heart. Like if you get out of line, I will knock your head off. I want a true enforcer. You are thinking I mean someone who will go after the extra rebound. Trust me, I do not. I mean literally what I am saying. I want blood on the opponents jersey. When you have a player like that on your team, you will see how much more often the lanes open up for our PG.
All us old heads need to realize that the landscape of basketball college and professional has changed dramatically over the last 20 years. How the game is played is different. Coaches won’t get guys like that due to the changes in the rules and the climate.

All us old heads need to realize that the landscape of basketball college and professional has changed dramatically over the last 20 years. How the game is played is different. Coaches won’t get guys like that due to the changes in the rules and the climate.
I do agree, I think it would be hard to recruit it. If you did you would be considered to be a team full of thugs. I am willing to take that chance for one season though. I am ok with other teams thinking..oh God its Tulsa....we are about to get banged up this game. I think we could get one player that would be willing to get suspended for a game LOL. It's funny because we have players like that on the football team and I hate it! Stupid penalties....but in that case I dont think it instills fear because every football player is already looking to get physical. In basketball I would be ok with that penalty once a game.

Like losing teams usually do, they play like they are afraid of winning. Like they don't really believe they are good enough to win.
The game where they had 7 chances down 3 late in the game and got 0 points defines this team in my eyes. All seven times they looked disorganized. I know the players need to execute better, but Haith has to shoulder a huge amount of the blame for that pitiful performance.

Like losing teams usually do, they play like they are afraid of winning. Like they don't really believe they are good enough to win.
The game where they had 7 chances down 3 late in the game and got 0 points defines this team in my eyes. All seven times they looked disorganized. I know the players need to execute better, but Haith has to shoulder a huge amount of the blame for that pitiful performance.
Very true.

My team probably will make the tourney but I dont know if they would win. However, they would be a blast to watch.

Kevin Johnson
Dante Swanson
Jarius Glenn
Shaq Harrison
Jerome Jordan

For the heck of it just because some reason I liked watching him play. I think its because he looked awkward, didn't seem like a person who could play....but then he would ball out.

Steven Idlet off the bench.

Pooh Williamson
Steve Harris
Michael Ruffin
Jerome Jordan
Dante Swanson

Coach- Bill Self- Final Four Team......maybe Championship game....

I know this is small but 2 great shooters you need and you need rebounders and rim protectors to win it all. And the nations best ball handler doesn't hurt.

Last edited:
Hard to limit it to just 5...

C - Brandon Kurtz
C/PF - Dave Stewart
C/PF - Michael Ruffin
PF/SF - David Brown (before the knee injury)
SF - Paul Pressey
SF - Eric Coley
SF - Kevin Johnson
G - Greg Harrington
G - Rod Thompson
G - Steve Harris
G - Pooh Williamson
G - Shea Seals
G - Dante Swanson
G - Eldridge Webb
G - Steve Bracey

Last edited:
Reactions: TulsaAM and TU 1978
This thread had me going out and looking for all time stats at sportsreference.com. It's unfortunate that they only have many of the the advanced stats going back to 2010 or so. The block rate and win shares go back a bit further but are kinda thrown off by that CBI run by Ben + Jerome.

What IS interesting is that going back to the 80's Curtis Haywood is trying to crack the top 10 in worst turnover percentages of all Tulsa players.... and going back to 2000 Sam Griffin is looking to be #6 in terms of usage rate, though I'm not as upset with that considering he's not shooting at a bad clip.

I think Hurtt gets overlooked a lot in terms of the talent he had during his final season. His performance wasn't as historic as some others in terms of the postseason play but he did it with a walk on point guard and no legitimate backup at center.

Last edited:
Idlet?!?!? You must be a bluegrass fan. His sister was better than him.
I loved Idlet. He was lanky, goofy, didn't look like he could run without tripping over his own feet but then he would go out and have some amazing games. Then the very next game he would chit the bed lol. Again my team was more for entertainment value. Swanson was just so fun to watch. Glenn was the enforcer type that I love personally to watch. Johnson needs no explanation 6'7" that played like he was 8'3". Then of course our 7" player who never quite developed into what his potential was but even with that said at 70% he was better than most bigs at 100%. Then good ole Shaq...Ncaa dunk champ x 2. I think that starting 5 with Idlet off the bench could make the tourney but I dont think they would get to the championship game. It would just be fun as hell to watch. Jordan gets the block passes up to Swanson. Swanson hits O on the controller and spin moves the defender out of his shoes. Throws up a pass to Johnson who acts like he is going to slam it down but instead tosses it up to the trailing Shaq who gets head over rim and SLAMS it down on the defender. Then Glenn stands over the vanquished opponents with a look of....stay down. Idlet is seen in the back ground jumping up to celebrate and promptly falls over the seats into the crowd.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT