ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa at Ucf thread

Yes. The fundamental strategy of his offense is inconsistent with the realities and needs of our school. Over time it simply will not work. Some fluke season where half the teams have not lifted or practiced in six months doesn’t make him a success. I would seek to maximize his value and move him off campus quickly getting as much of the buy out as I could. I would thank him for the late wins and national exposure and do what I could to get him to where he would want to go. But I would make it known we would not be counter offering. The program is bigger than any one man or any one season. One year of 10 wins is not worth the monetary losses of 5 losing seasons. And I’d like to make a bowl again before 2025

I’m still waiting for one of y’all to point to any school running this offense who has had a consistent winning record over the past five years. The game is over, they’ve figured out this offense.

I love this school and this team. I took off work, braved CoVid exposure on a plane, dropped a $1000 in expenses between flights hotel and tickets, sat in a driving rain storm for two hours without flinching, and I still think it’s in the best interests of the school for this to end as soon as possible, even if he just won the biggest game in ten years.

If you don’t agree, and I’m sure most of you will, ask yourself if we still win if UCF didn’t have those penalties and they didnt have their hands on their hips after every play in the second half. This win had very little to do with Montgomery, as we saw in the first quarter.
Kendall Briles has moved around with it to some success. He did well on offense at FAU under Kiffin and at Houston (their defense sucked but their offense put up a ton of points) he didn’t do well at Florida State but I’d put a lot of that on Willie Taggart. He’s at Arkansas and they’re having they’re best season in quite a few years.

I felt like Monty did a better job adjusting his play calling in the raining weather than UCF did. We went to running the ball while UCF was still slinging it. They struggled while we started to excel. Then Zach got settled in and tore them to pieces. Other than the 1st quarter, Monty out coached Heupel.

I felt like Monty did a better job adjusting his play calling in the raining weather than UCF did. We went to running the ball while UCF was still slinging it. They struggled while we started to excel. Then Zach got settled in and tore them to pieces. Other than the 1st quarter, Monty out coached Heupel.

No.

Sorry not even close. We beat their safety on the same route 3 times. Had they not shot themselves in the foot more often than we did this is a loss.

The statistics for both teams are damn near identical. The major difference being penalties. They averaged as many yards as we did running, they ran it off 34 times to our 44. They threw for like 50 more yards. They converted for 8 first downs to our 6. 30:30 to 29:30 in possession and 3 turnovers each.

It's really the penalties.

Kendall Briles has moved around with it to some success. He did well on offense at FAU under Kiffin and at Houston (their defense sucked but their offense put up a ton of points) he didn’t do well at Florida State but I’d put a lot of that on Willie Taggart. He’s at Arkansas and they’re having they’re best season in quite a few years.
Disaster at FSU. He’s 1-1 with three touchdowns in two games at Arkansas. They were 8-5 at Houston. All you’ve got is maybe one year at FAU with a bunch of P5 transfers out of JUCO beating up the Sun Belt? Cmon ...

Next we will be talking about Gilbert’s one season at McNeese.

No other major program runs this offense except Dino Babers and there’s a reason for that ... his seat is hotter than Montgomery.

No.

Sorry not even close. We beat their safety on the same route 3 times. Had they not shot themselves in the foot more often than we did this is a loss.

The statistics for both teams are damn near identical. The major difference being penalties. They averaged as many yards as we did running, they ran it off 34 times to our 44. They threw for like 50 more yards. They converted for 8 first downs to our 6. 30:30 to 29:30 in possession and 3 turnovers each.

Go ask UCF fans who the better coach was if you don't believe me.

Disaster at FSU. He’s 1-1 with three touchdowns in two games at Arkansas. They were 8-5 at Houston. All you’ve got is maybe one year at FAU with a bunch of P5 transfers out of JUCO beating up the Sun Belt? Cmon ...

No other major program runs this offense except Dino Babers and there’s a reason for that ... his seat is hotter than Montgomery.
Again, FSU was a disaster due toTaggart. Houston's offense averaged a bunch of points during that 8-5 season but they couldn't stop anyone on defense. Arky has moved the ball better than they have in years but they played a tough Georgia team week 1.

No.

And the conditioning. When we needed yards in the second half, we could get to the line to gain because the gassed defense couldn’t defend the WR properly.

Go ask UCF fans who the better coach was if you don't believe me.

I'm not talking opinions. I'm talking facts.

The vast majority of UCF's penalties were false starts. A bunch of penalties which came at critical times in their last two drives. Yeah that's on coaching, in particular I think the false starts for UCF are due to the lower reps in spring and fall of the offensive line combined with thow quickly they run their offense. That's also on coaching. Those are systematic choices, much like Monty's stubborness to run his system.

The teams were virtually identical in every stat, they threw more and for slightly more yardage, we ran more for slight more yardage. Overall the offensive production was virtually identical, time of possession was the same, and had the last pass been caught in the endzone the score would have likely been equal. Our passing offense came off the same route three times, otherwise it was anemic. The only major difference is on penalties which isn't Monty out coaching Heupel in the game.

At no time did Monty have to make a difficult decision, take into account game situations, or alter his strategy to what he saw. We spent the majority of the game behind and most of crunch time on defense. So again based on facts can you point to a crucial decision Monty made that allowed him to overcome some key advantage Heupel had?

Or did we see the exact same thing from our team and coach that we have seen for the last three years? A hit and miss passing game, a strong consistent running game, bad decision making on offensive play calling in strategically bad situations, good punting, shakey place kicking, bad ball security/turnovers, and a ton of penalties with a stout defense playing consistently.

Because that's the game I watched and thats the game the stats say happened. The difference from other games we lost being we played a team who actually commits more penalties than Tulsa did and couldn't finish the last second catch/play something SMU and Memphis did do last year.

We won't have that luxury against Cincinnati who is disciplined and well coached in all phases of the game. They are also run heavy. But hey guess what, I bet we do a solid job of rushing the ball, have some hits and misses on the passing game, iffy place kicking, a very solid defensive performance that could keep us in the game, and a ton of penalties that will cause us to struggle.

How do I know that? Because I have watched every game for the past three seasons and even in our ten win year these things (other than QB accuracy helped by Dane and top level recievers) were issues. These are Monty team traits.

The vast majority of UCF's penalties were false starts. A bunch of penalties which came at critical times in their last two drives. Yeah that's on coaching, in particular I think the false starts for UCF are due to the lower reps in spring and fall of the offensive line combined with thow quickly they run their offense. That's also on coaching. Those are systematic choices, much like Monty's stubborness to run his system.

The teams were virtually identical in every stat, they threw more and for slightly more yardage, we ran more for slight more yardage. Overall the offensive production was virtually identical, time of possession was the same, and had the last pass been caught in the endzone the score would have likely been equal. Our passing offense came off the same route three times, otherwise it was anemic. The only major difference is on penalties which isn't Monty out coaching Heupel in the game.

At no time did Monty have to make a difficult decision, take into account game situations, or alter his strategy to what he saw. We spent the majority of the game behind and most of crunch time on defense. So again based on facts can you point to a crucial decision Monty made that allowed him to overcome some key advantage Heupel had?

Or did we see the exact same thing from our team and coach that we have seen for the last three years? A hit and miss passing game, a strong consistent running game, bad decision making on offensive play calling in strategically bad situations, good punting, shakey place kicking, bad ball security/turnovers, and a ton of penalties with a stout defense playing consistently.

Because that's the game I watched and thats the game the stats say happened. The difference from other games we lost being we played a team who actually commits more penalties than Tulsa did and couldn't finish the last second catch/play something SMU and Memphis did do last year.

We won't have that luxury against Cincinnati who is disciplined and well coached in all phases of the game. They are also run heavy. But hey guess what, I bet we do a solid job of rushing the ball, have some hits and misses on the passing game, iffy place kicking, a very solid defensive performance that could keep us in the game, and a ton of penalties that will cause us to struggle.

How do I know that? Because I have watched every game for the past three seasons and even in our ten win year these things (other than QB accuracy helped by Dane and top level recievers) were issues. These are Monty team traits.

He chose a FG attempt vs going for it in the 1st. Right call then.
He chose to go for 2. Close but didn’t get it. Right call.
He lined up DL in the backfield for short TK TD run. Good call.
After Q1, I had no issues with the offense.

He chose a FG attempt vs going for it in the 1st. Right call then.
He chose to go for 2. Close but didn’t get it. Right call.
He lined up DL in the backfield for short TK TD run. Good call.
After Q1, I had no issues with the offense.

Again these are basic decisions dictated by the game.

The field goal was a no duh because our offense was doing squat. Nor do you hear a lot of people complaining about his play calling in the first quarter. This is a par for the course Monty decision that every coach would have made.

There was no advantage in going for one, if we are giving him credit for this call as a coaching move our standards have really fallen and he should get credit for calling hail Mary's with :02 seconds left on the game clock down by four.

This I will give credit for as a wrinkle, except that he did similar things with Brewer and this is far from a brilliant move. I would argue back up offensive lineman use to setting, blocking, and less prone to false starts would be a conventional choice likely to get similar results and used by a ton of coaches for decades now.

Having a couple defensive guys line up wrong or false start changes an offensive situation. If we are being honest a offensive should be able to score from that conventionally, against most defenses, and would make people ask wtf defensive lineman were doing in a goal line set if we had an illegal formation or false start backing us up. A lot like UCF making the catch and going on to beat us in OT would have us saying same old story.

I don't see anything different in this game from the same team I have watched for three years. We beat a pretty good UCF last year as well, a team that finished ranked and may end up being better than this years team since both GT and ECU look awful right now. How did that end for us?

Do you doubt that we will have 8-10 penalties vs Cincy, or any of my other in game performance predictions for that game? Look at our games with Texas, Michigan St, SMU, Memphis, Arkansas St, even our wins vs Wyoming, and both UCF wins. It's the same game from us over and over. It is stunningly predictable how we will play.

Again these are basic decisions dictated by the game.

The field goal was a no duh because our offense was doing squat. Nor do you hear a lot of people complaining about his play calling in the first quarter. This is a par for the course Monty decision that every coach would have made.

There was no advantage in going for one, if we are giving him credit for this call as a coaching move our standards have really fallen and he should get credit for calling hail Mary's with :02 seconds left on the game clock down by four.

This I will give credit for as a wrinkle, except that he did similar things with Brewer and this is far from a brilliant move. I would argue back up offensive lineman use to setting, blocking, and less prone to false starts would be a conventional choice likely to get similar results and used by a ton of coaches for decades now.

Having a couple defensive guys line up wrong or false start changes an offensive situation. If we are being honest a offensive should be able to score from that conventionally, against most defenses, and would make people ask wtf defensive lineman were doing in a goal line set if we had an illegal formation or false start backing us up. A lot like UCF making the catch and going on to beat us in OT would have us saying same old story.

I don't see anything different in this game from the same team I have watched for three years. We beat a pretty good UCF last year as well, a team that finished ranked and may end up being better than this years team since both GT and ECU look awful right now. How did that end for us?

Do you doubt that we will have 8-10 penalties vs Cincy, or any of my other in game performance predictions for that game? Look at our games with Texas, Michigan St, SMU, Memphis, Arkansas St, even our wins vs Wyoming, and both UCF wins. It's the same game from us over and over. It is stunningly predictable how we will play.

Maybe I’m just taking advantage of an historic win and enjoying TU football.

That is quite the wall of text. I was talking facts as well, btw. Also, you have to take into account the eye test and not just the game stats when making such evaluations. Monty passed the eye test. Heupel did not do as well. Game stats were about even besides penalties of course, which Monty fixed from game 1 to 2. Heupel did not fix his penalties from previous games.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
That is quite the wall of text. I was talking facts as well, btw. Also, you have to take into account[/b] the eye test[/b] and not just the game stats when making such evaluations. Monty passed the eye test. Heupel did not do as well. Game stats were about even besides penalties of course, which Monty fixed from game 1 to 2. Heupel did not fix his penalties from previous games.

For the first bolded part I would apologize for the avalanche of relevant facts that put our team in a bad light, but honestly those are the head coaches fault.

Second you need to make an appointment with your ophthalmologist.

You gave your opinion and then backed it up with the opinion of "UCF fans". You have now followed it up with the "eye test" I gave you stats.

Hope that was short enough.

For the first bolded part I would apologize for the avalanche of relevant facts that put our team in a bad light, but honestly those are the head coaches fault.

You gave your opinion and then backed it up with the opinion of "UCF fans". You have now followed it up with the "eye test" I gave you stats.

UCF fans have been dropping facts online all week about Heupel's coaching job. (not using middle of field, not fixing penalties, struggles against 3-3-5 D, etc) And they don't like it. But no point in dragging this out further.

Let's all lay off the haterade and cheer our team to a W next week!

Reactions: Gmoney4WW

Whatevah.

UCF fans have been dropping facts online all week about Heupel's coaching job. (not using middle of field, not fixing penalties, struggles against 3-3-5 D, etc) And they don't like it. But no point in dragging this out further.

Meh. That’s just UCF culture. There were a large number of chirpers at Frost for not winning by more.

I would love to see Monty win his way out of his job.

That would be in everyone's interest!

Reactions: HuffyCane
Just had the biggest win since 1991 and you people want him gone? Absolutely clueless. I am sure that all the talent on the field was because they just showed up and the coaching had nothing to do with it.

I got curious as to our head coaches' records against UCF so I looked it up. It's interesting.

Kragthorpe: 1-0 (in CUSA title game)
Graham: 1-2 (1 loss in CUSA title game)
Blankenship: 3-1 (1 win in CUSA title game)
Montgomery: 4-0

Reactions: TU83 and TU4ever2

Those are opinions, of people, on the internet, who don't even get paid for them, showing you how much those opinions are actually worth.

You still haven't pointed out one thing that Monty did at a crucial time to secure this victory, or one decision Heupel made that was clearly a mistake giving us the game.

I have pointed out our game production, our continued mistakes, turnovers, and problems are the same thing we have seen for three years. Much like last year we benefitted from a UCF team that made more than us. Nothing we did gave us this win we performed at our normal expected Monty level. The same level we have seen over and over since Monty's got his recruits here.

The same performance we will see vs Cincy. Likely including a WTF play from our own endzone because Cincy is good on defense and disciplined on special teams and we struggle with punts and returns inside our own 15-20.

So when we finish the season with the same team performing at the same level, making the same mistakes, while we rave about our talent and our solid to really good defense the same way we have for the last three years, are we all just suppose to say, yeah but we beat a ranked UCF team?

I have pointed out our game production, our continued mistakes, turnovers, and problems are the same thing we have seen for three years. Much like last year we benefitted from a UCF team that made more than us. Nothing we did gave us this win we performed at our normal expected Monty level. The same level we have seen over and over since Monty's got his recruits here.

I thought the 2nd half was played very well.
Very few penalties, good calls and execution on offense, great special teams and defense.

The amount of penalties we committed vs. OSU and vs. UCF were night and day. Maybe the team finally bought in?

Arkansas was a weird fumble or a missed FG away from winning against an Auburn team with better athletes today. That's a lot closer than they've been in years. Their defense and a blocked Punt in the endzone cost them that game.

I'd say Briles jr. has done a pretty decent job reinventing that offense considering they scored more points against a #13 team than they did in all but one game last season.

Arkansas was a weird fumble or a missed FG away from winning against an Auburn team with better athletes today. That's a lot closer than they've been in years. Their defense and a blocked Punt in the endzone cost them that game.

I'd say Briles jr. has done a pretty decent job reinventing that offense considering they scored more points against a #13 team than they did in all but one game last season.
The level of no defense being played in the SEC this season is weird. None of the teams are really any good. Clemson is clearly the best team in the country. It will be interesting to see what Ohio St can do when the B1G starts playing. The PAC 10/12/14 should just stay home this year. I can’t see any of those teams being legit top 25 teams. Of course they won’t play anyone outside their conference so it is likely the ESPN talking heads will laud the parity instead of questioning the mediocrity. The Big XII is terrible top to bottom. I don’t know about the AAC...we’ll see.

The level of no defense being played in the SEC this season is weird. None of the teams are really any good. Clemson is clearly the best team in the country. It will be interesting to see what Ohio St can do when the B1G starts playing. The PAC 10/12/14 should just stay home this year. I can’t see any of those teams being legit top 25 teams. Of course they won’t play anyone outside their conference so it is likely the ESPN talking heads will laud the parity instead of questioning the mediocrity. The Big XII is terrible top to bottom. I don’t know about the AAC...we’ll see.
Auburn's D didn't look terrible. The plays they got beat on tended to be by play design rather than athleticism / missed tackles.

Only 3 more weeks until Clemson goes to South Bend. ND has Pitt and GT before then. Clemson has GT and 'Cuse. They should both be rolling when that game goes down. Should be a good one!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT