ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa at Ucf thread

giphy.gif

So we're gonna have to lose like 69-0 to Cincy for you to come out on top of that prediction.

And even then it would be a 50/50 chance at best.

Yeah, I didn't see UCF committing that many penalties. He may make it to the end of the year, but who knows if there will be an end of the year, games are already disappearing like a miracle.

If you go and look at stats, nothing changed on our side, just for once the other team made as many stupid mistakes as we did. . . .Well we did manage to get away with a missed delay of game penalty which makes this our first game in two years with out one, I think. Don't worry Cincy will beat us like a drum, that is a disciplined team.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
Top TU football road win was in 1971 at #7 Arkansas.

Next best ranked wins would be:

2. 1967 vs. #10 Houston
3. 1946 vs. #10 Arkansas
4. 2020 at #11 UCF
5. 1976 at #12 Arkansas

Haven't beaten a ranked team since #24 Hawaii in the 2010/11 Hawaii Bowl.

Haven't beaten a ranked on the road since the aforementioned 1976 game in Fayetteville.

cb

Yeah, I didn't see UCF committing that many penalties. He may make it to the end of the year, but who knows if there will be an end of the year, games are already disappearing like a miracle.

If you go and look at stats, nothing changed on our side, just for once the other team made as many stupid mistakes as we did. . . .Well we did manage to get away with a missed delay of game penalty which makes this our first game in two years with out one, I think. Don't worry Cincy will beat us like a drum, that is a disciplined team.
The first half we did look very undisciplined, but if the play calling continues like it was in the 2nd half tonight, very good chance we beat Cincinnati too, hope this continues

A lot changed on our side.
Play calling, execution, special

We still have UCF’s number. If we could play them every game, Monty would be a happy man.

I don't think so. Our defense is very good and the offense seemed to wake up tonight. It should be a competitive matchup

Reactions: quincy101
Bad news for all the haters, boo birds, malcontents & naysayers-this team is just too good & will win at least 6. The extra week of practice was just what the Dr. ordered. Future AACK! opponents are now on notice. TU Football: 1st,last,always!

It’s always nice when our opponent shoots themselves in the foot repeatedly but we can’t rely on that to win games. Our team has some talent though

Bad news for all the haters, boo birds, malcontents & naysayers-this team is just too good & will win at least 6. The extra week of practice was just what the Dr. ordered. Future AACK! opponents are now on notice. TU Football: 1st,last,always!

I'm not a hater or malcontent, I always want to see my alma mater win. It's a pride thing that keeps me tuning in each week for the abuse. I think we have all shown loads of forbearance having a losing record and a seemingly inept coach for the past 5 seasons... I'm going to savor the win like everyone else on this board. Monty's record does not engender a sense of confidence among the fans, nor does it warrant the kind of salary he's been pulling down. Glad TU won one and glad their coach did too.

I don't think so. Our defense is very good and the offense seemed to wake up tonight. It should be a competitive matchup

Our defense was good vs OSU. OSU has a much better defense than UCF. The difference wasn't anything other than penalties.

OSU had 8 for 68, Tulsa had 15 for 120 including a TD taken off for a penalty.

UCF had 18 for 120, Tulsa had 8 for 95. UCF had several penalties late in the game in Tulsa territory.

Our defense has been pretty good for the last three years and our record is crap. It was good against OSU and we lost. Nothing changed on our side. We are calling the same plays that we have for 6 years. Sometimes our QB is accurate and sometimes he is bad.

So you are saying we go 6-3 for the year?

I'm not a hater or malcontent, I always want to see my alma mater win. It's a pride thing that keeps me tuning in each week for the abuse. I think we have all shown loads of forbearance having a losing record and a seemingly inept coach for the past 5 seasons... I'm going to savor the win like everyone else on this board. Monty's record does not engender a sense of confidence among the fans, nor does it warrant the kind of salary he's been pulling down. Glad TU won one and glad their coach did too.
Fair weather fan, who talks bad about the team unless they are winning every game. For all intents and purposes you are a hater.

Fair weather fan, who talks bad about the team unless they are winning every game. For all intents and purposes you are a hater.
TU certainly was not inept for the first two years of Phil’s tenure . Lost by three points to Va Tech in season one bowl game and should have gone to a much better bowl game in the second . That team was capable of some serious damage to a P5 team.

We still have UCF’s number. If we could play them every game, Monty would be a happy man.
The offense is more likely to work against undisciplined under prepared teams that don’t adjust in game. UCF is all of these things, last year and this year. They were also horribly out of shape. And it was raining which favored a ground based power running team. We won’t see these conditions again.

What gets me is all the people on here who have forgotten the first quarter or the fact that if UCF catches that last pass into the endzone, which nearly happened, the melting on here would be epic, including all the people saying the offense works. It doesn’t. Name me one coach using it in the last three years with any level of sustained success?

He can go 8-1 in a weird season and I’ll still say he can go jump in the river.

Our defense was good vs OSU. OSU has a much better defense than UCF. The difference wasn't anything other than penalties.

OSU had 8 for 68, Tulsa had 15 for 120 including a TD taken off for a penalty.

UCF had 18 for 120, Tulsa had 8 for 95. UCF had several penalties late in the game in Tulsa territory.

Our defense has been pretty good for the last three years and our record is crap. It was good against OSU and we lost. Nothing changed on our side. We are calling the same plays that we have for 6 years. Sometimes our QB is accurate and sometimes he is bad.
I felt like Monty did a better job adjusting his play calling in the raining weather than UCF did. We went to running the ball while UCF was still slinging it. They struggled while we started to excel. Then Zach got settled in and tore them to pieces. Other than the 1st quarter, Monty out coached Heupel.

The offense is more likely to work against undisciplined under prepared teams that don’t adjust in game. UCF is all of these things, last year and this year. They were also horribly out of shape. And it was raining which favored a ground based power running team. We won’t see these conditions again.

What gets me is all the people on here who have forgotten the first quarter or the fact that if UCF catches that last pass into the endzone, which nearly happened, the melting on here would be epic, including all the people saying the offense works. It doesn’t. Name me one coach using it in the last three years with any level of sustained success?

Monty Derangement Syndrome is real.

Reactions: HuffyCane

It ain’t happening but are you saying you would still say this after what would likely be a New Years Day Bowl berth and highest ranking since 2008?

It ain’t happening but are you saying you would still say this after what would likely be a New Years Day Bowl berth and highest ranking since 2008?
2008? We’re nearly ranked now. We still have games against #11 Cincy as well as what should be pretty good UH and SMU + the conference championship game in that scenario. Also, our only loss is to a Ok state team that’s shaping up to be pretty decent. We would easily be top 15 if not top 10. That’s fantasy though.

If we won out, there are scenarios where we would have our best ranking since men were landing on the beaches of Normandy.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
2008? We’re nearly ranked now. We still have games against #11 Cincy as well as what should be pretty good UH and SMU + the conference championship game in that scenario. Also, our only loss is to a Ok state team that’s shaping up to be pretty decent. We would easily be top 15 if not top 10. That’s fantasy though.

If we won out, there are scenarios where we would have our best ranking since men were landing on the beaches of Normandy.

Yeah I think we got to like #17 or so in one of the polls in 2008.

Haven't beaten a ranked team since #24 Hawaii in the 2010/11 Hawaii Bowl.

Haven't beaten a ranked on the road since the aforementioned 1976 game in Fayetteville.
Um, the bowl game in Hawaii was at their home stadium. We can call it a home game for the Bows

Reactions: HuffyCane
We were ranked one week in one of the BCS polls at like 11 during the Kragthorpe era with an aggregate ranking of 25, iirc. We were below that in the AP and Coaches though. My memory may be fuzzy there. Been awhile. But I’m pretty sure the highest ranking we’ve ever had lately was under Kragthorpe but it was a minor poll/computer ranking.

Last edited:
Yes. The fundamental strategy of his offense is inconsistent with the realities and needs of our school. Over time it simply will not work. Some fluke season where half the teams have not lifted or practiced in six months doesn’t make him a success. I would seek to maximize his value and move him off campus quickly getting as much of the buy out as I could. I would thank him for the late wins and national exposure and do what I could to get him to where he would want to go. But I would make it known we would not be counter offering. The program is bigger than any one man or any one season. One year of 10 wins is not worth the monetary losses of 5 losing seasons. And I’d like to make a bowl again before 2025

I’m still waiting for one of y’all to point to any school running this offense who has had a consistent winning record over the past five years. The game is over, they’ve figured out this offense.

I love this school and this team. I took off work, braved CoVid exposure on a plane, dropped a $1000 in expenses between flights hotel and tickets, sat in a driving rain storm for two hours without flinching, and I still think it’s in the best interests of the school for this to end as soon as possible, even if he just won the biggest game in ten years.

If you don’t agree, and I’m sure most of you will, ask yourself if we still win if UCF didn’t have those penalties and they didnt have their hands on their hips after every play in the second half. This win had very little to do with Montgomery, as we saw in the first quarter.

Last edited:
Yeah I think we got to like #17 or so in one of the polls in 2008.
18 in both AP and Coaches. Then we lost to Arkansas because Gus Malzahn had to make a political statement and run the wildcat with Widmore in the redzone. Though the play call was wrong, I still think Chambo, our Wildcat the previous year, powers into the endzone if he had been running. What a great game. Maybe the one loss that I wish we had a second chance at the most. That and the 2006 CUSA Champ game in Orlando.

Last edited:

By the time we get to those games, the Big 10 and others will be clogging up the polls with 2-0 records.

I felt like Monty did a better job adjusting his play calling in the raining weather than UCF did. We went to running the ball while UCF was still slinging it. They struggled while we started to excel. Then Zach got settled in and tore them to pieces. Other than the 1st quarter, Monty out coached Heupel.
Agree with all but the last sentence. The rain and turf seemed to complicate things unnecessarily in the 1st Qtr. We made some adjustments and the second quarter was better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT