ADVERTISEMENT

TU Women's Soccer Fall 2023

Rice plays the ole kick and chase style. Can see why they’re 2-8-1. Good to see TU get that late first half goal. Ball movement thru the midfield looks better. Not sure how much of that is true improvement or the opponent. In any event it’s encouraging.
I think a little bit of both but the defensive end has been much better of late and I think that's a byproduct of better ball possession and control in the midfield. Rice may not be great but SMU is a really good side and earning a draw in Dallas for TU is a really good result. I think Jim is using some different combinations. I'm glad to see Frederick back up top this game as it definitely has created some space on the outside for Chee and Simmons. Having her in the back the last couple games to shore up the defense obviously hurt TU's attack.

Reactions: lawpoke87
Looks like TU is going to come away with a 2-2 draw at UNT. Good result against a talented team. TU is unlucky to not come away with the win as they carried most of the play the last 10 min with a couple of chances on the doorstep and they just couldn't put the ball in the back of the net.

Looks like TU is going to come away with a 2-2 draw at UNT. Good result against a talented team. TU is unlucky to not come away with the win as they carried most of the play the last 10 min with a couple of chances on the doorstep and they just couldn't put the ball in the back of the net.
This is a pretty sick goal.

Great strike. We were up 2-1 at half. Just couldn’t hold on. Still nice to see the ladies playing up to their talent level after a rough start to the season.

Great strike. We were up 2-1 at half. Just couldn’t hold on. Still nice to see the ladies playing up to their talent level after a rough start to the season.
The girl who scored both for UNT looks like she is pushing 6'. She was an absolute beast. Fast, physical, and could turn on a dime. To me, she is one of those unicorn players.

And yet TU probably should have found a 3rd late in the game as Fredrick and Chee were just running past the UNT defenders with the ball and they made it look easy.

As for Piper's goal....this is why coaches want players to shoot the ball, from anywhere. Too many players try to get into that perfect position and by that time they're usually closed down by a defender and the shot is going to get blocked. Now that shot was special. Just inside the far post and no 5'8" GK anywhere is coming anywhere close to that.

This team is now unbeaten in their last 6 (maybe 7). 4 draws in there though but they're getting results against really good teams. I think they're gaining confidence that they can play with anyone in the AAC. Of course they'll have to show it against Memphis and USF. Memphis is about as physical a team as I've seen in women's college soccer. Maybe South Carolina or Florida State plays as physically as they do, but there aren't many teams that can play that way. Refereeing will be a key in that match...if they allow the physical play it will be a long game for us. If they're whistle happy that will break up the flow for Memphis and they'll need to adjust.

The girl who scored both for UNT looks like she is pushing 6'. She was an absolute beast. Fast, physical, and could turn on a dime. To me, she is one of those unicorn players.

And yet TU probably should have found a 3rd late in the game as Fredrick and Chee were just running past the UNT defenders with the ball and they made it look easy.

As for Piper's goal....this is why coaches want players to shoot the ball, from anywhere. Too many players try to get into that perfect position and by that time they're usually closed down by a defender and the shot is going to get blocked. Now that shot was special. Just inside the far post and no 5'8" GK anywhere is coming anywhere close to that.

This team is now unbeaten in their last 6 (maybe 7). 4 draws in there though but they're getting results against really good teams. I think they're gaining confidence that they can play with anyone in the AAC. Of course they'll have to show it against Memphis and USF. Memphis is about as physical a team as I've seen in women's college soccer. Maybe South Carolina or Florida State plays as physically as they do, but there aren't many teams that can play that way. Refereeing will be a key in that match...if they allow the physical play it will be a long game for us. If they're whistle happy that will break up the flow for Memphis and they'll need to adjust.
Bailey Wesco is the girls name. Transferred to UNT from OU last season. She’s 5’11” and athletic. Played club for the Dallas Texans. Seems like every upper level ECNL club in Dallas has a striker just like her.

Bailey Wesco is the girls name. Transferred to UNT from OU last season. She’s 5’11” and athletic. Played club for the Dallas Texans. Seems like every upper level ECNL club in Dallas has a striker just like her.
She's a phenomenal player. And she's making UNT into a very good team.

The 2007s Oklahoma girls are currently going through recruiting and are starting to commit. The instate 2007 class is deep and very good. Hoping to see some commitments to TU in the near future.

5-nil over Temple today. Quietly clawing back from some unexplainable losses.

Reactions: TU_BLA
The girls have the talent to finish in the upper 1/3 of the conference. Temple is really bad but 5 goals is still 5 goals. Curious to see how we stack up against a really good Memphis side.

Anyone have a list of our 2024 commitments? It’s been very quiet on the Tulsa front from the clubs I follow.

Are they even recruiting? A colleague has a daughter who is a junior. She’s getting mail from Notre Dame and FSU. She wants to go to TU. She filled out the online form and so far crickets from TU. It’s not a dead period.

4-2 over UAB. Could have been more.
They're on a nice little run. And will finish above .500 in conference which is a plus all things considered. Just wish they didn't throw away the early part of the season in some of their non-con games against scrubs. It's the difference between being over .500 on the season and under.

Memphis on Thursday will be a tall task but the way they've played against the better teams in conference it wouldn't surprise me to see a result out of this one.

Are they even recruiting? A colleague has a daughter who is a junior. She’s getting mail from Notre Dame and FSU. She wants to go to TU. She filled out the online form and so far crickets from TU. It’s not a dead period.
She or her coach (preferably both) needs to contact TU and express interest imo. Invite the TU staff to a training or game. Send in film. I have no clue what level his daughter but the recruiting of juniors has been ongoing for sometime now. Good luck to her.

She or her coach (preferably both) needs to contact TU and express interest imo. Invite the TU staff to a training or game. Send in film. I have no clue what level his daughter but the recruiting of juniors has been ongoing for sometime now. Good luck to her.
They have an online form. Im told she filled it out. Its even called "Recruit Me." Crickets.

They have an online form. Im told she filled it out. Its even called "Recruit Me." Crickets.
Lol. I’ve seen the form. They use the software from jump forward. Certainly not a good look not to at least acknowledge the student athletes who took the time to contact the school. No idea if TU women’s soccer actually uses jump forward as a viable recruiting resource or if they rely on their contacts with club coaches and ID camp lists. My 2 cents….if the girl has D1 ability and is really interested in TU then I would ask my ECNL or GA club to contact TU on her behalf.

You mean they only recruit players that pay to go their private camps? 😱

US national team ID camps are free. Pay ID camps are mostly a waste of time and money imo. If she’s being actively recruited by those schools and she reached out to TU then there’s really no excuse for them having not having contacted her. Hell…one would have thought TU would have been on the phone with her or her coach the next day. Can’t imagine there are many high D1 girls reaching out to TU regarding women’s soccer. Offers have been going out to juniors since late summer. Someone should contact TU on her behalf. She’s someone TU needs to be in contact with…sooner rather than later.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Yeah, those go largely unlooked at unless you prod the coach. She can find the email address of John or the assistants and shoot them an email, but she probably needs to ask her coach(es) to send an email as well. She can draw attention to the fact that she has filled out the contact. Many schools have that contact info and want stuff about grades, extracurricular, test scores, potential majors, etc. We've filled a few out for my son but the best way to get coaches onto you is sending them a direct communication and that's what he did with MIT and WPI and got responses from the coaches at those schools.

BTW, most of the forms I've seen are simple JotForm type web forms. I don't know who powers them but I know the JotForms and Google Docs I create for my daily work end up in a huge repository that someone needs to comb through.

That would be awful. The individual school run camps aren't the worst things in the world. You get more play time, like ability, and college coaching. My son did the TU one 2-3 times and it was always a good experience and he got fantastic feedback from Daniel Cherbonnier when he was still at TU as the GK coach. And the feedback was on a written eval so there was something real my son could look at and refer to. He's also done a couple more camps that are called ID camps not run by a specific school but a collaboration. One was in St. Louis with some smaller schools but again, he got some really good feedback and video. And this past summer he did one in Dallas which limited the number of campers (only 15 GKs) and all the coaches were well thought of D1 coaches and their assistants. HCs from Georgetown, NC State, Wake Forest, Michigan St, Washington, and assistants from BC, Tulsa, NC State, Clemson. My son's group coach was the GK coach from NC State (AJ Madero?). There were a couple more coaches there who I can't quite remember. And some of these things you do to provide your kid an experience as much as anything else

When TU plays Memphis, they will be playing the #9 team in the country. Hopefully we show well, show some fight and don't back down. Memphis is a very physical team

Curious how a school like Memphis is able to field a top 10 women’s soccer team. Assume the coach is a stud?

….and I just looked. They’re basically a Canadian team with a few girls from Japan, Germany and the US.

• Haha
Reactions: TU_BLA
Curious how a school like Memphis is able to field a top 10 women’s soccer team. Assume the coach is a stud?

….and I just looked. They’re basically a Canadian team with a few girls from Japan, Germany and the US.
Not sure if still true, but Fed Ex helped them with a business program that was really popular with athletes years ago. If the girls are all business majors that might help explain it as well.

The suburbs of Memphis have some very good clubs, especially Germantown but I don't know if the girls side enjoys the same success and talent as the boys side (Germantown produces some pretty good players).

The suburbs of Memphis have some very good clubs, especially Germantown but I don't know if the girls side enjoys the same success and talent as the boys side (Germantown produces some pretty good players).
They have 16 players from outside the US.

They have 16 players from outside the US.
That seems to be the way a lot of US college squads are going. TU's men's team looks like the UN right now. I was just saying that Memphis as a city is not devoid of quality soccer players, it's just can you keep them in Memphis and apparently that coach has a pipeline with the Canucks

That seems to be the way a lot of US college squads are going. TU's men's team looks like the UN right now. I was just saying that Memphis as a city is not devoid of quality soccer players, it's just can you keep them in Memphis and apparently that coach has a pipeline with the Canucks
Seems to be working for him. Looks like they have two girls from the Memphis area.

Schools are rational actors. Many of these students are paying full fare and all are ineligible for NIL.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
HuffyCane if you are a friend of the family you should call the Women’s coach explain that you are an Alum and that you know of a player being recruited by ND and FSU that is very interested in TU. Make the connection and then bow out. It will minimize any concern of impropriety but will ensure the coach is really seeing the player to determine interest. In many sports things slip through the cracks unless someone shepherds it through.

Also, looking at the women's standings, TU is currently the #3 seed and could jump SMU if TU pulls out a win against Memphis and SMU draws or loses their last game. UNT is 4th right now but at 9 points (TU is at 13) there is not way for the Mean Green to jump TU in the standings. Not sure how the conference tourney works but if I'm reading the schedule correctly, TU would play East #2 in the quarters (currently ECU) and then either SMU or FAU in the semi's and then Memphis/So Florida/UNT/Charlotte in the finals). Favorable draw for TU to get deep avoiding Memphis until the end. Games will be played at Lakewood Ranch facility in Lakewood outside of Sarasota/Bradenton. There is a small stadium as part of the complex. It's a nice facility, grass fields, nicely manicured. My son played in an EA Showcase there last December.

Schools are rational actors. Many of these students are paying full fare and all are ineligible for NIL.
They are cash paying. I would assume some, if they're are really good at soccer, are getting some sort of athletic scholarship and perhaps some merit scholarship based on their academic prowess, but yes, they are footing the rest of the bill paying cash (or someone is paying cash for them).

Why are they ineligible for NIL?

They are cash paying. I would assume some, if they're are really good at soccer, are getting some sort of athletic scholarship and perhaps some merit scholarship based on their academic prowess, but yes, they are footing the rest of the bill paying cash (or someone is paying cash for them).

Why are they ineligible for NIL?
Visa restrictions.

And no, schools need the money and they are taking it from them, in some cases, without financial aid.

Speaking of recruiting and letters from colleges, my kid got her first college letter and invite to campus this am….and no it wasn’t from TU :(

Reactions: HuffyCane
No TN sucks. My personal favorite story was being on an average Oklahoma team and being the Tennesee State Champs Memphis Rangers 4-0. It was a rainy day at the Germantown Tournament. We were smoking their asses, and they were so pissed. They actually got 4 red cards in the game. All came after the fourth goal.

The next day we came out and Scott Gallagher handed out an all-time ass-kicking to us 7-1. I still maintain to this day it is the worst loss I have had at any age because of how outclassed I felt.

No Memphis sucks. Nashville is where it is at now.

I think the South is

1. North Texas
2. South Texas
3. FL
4. GA
5. NC

6,7,8 some order of SC,OK, TN

LA, MS, AL all really really suck

The ladies fall 2-0 to Memphis. We looked organized and had a few chances. Just couldn’t find the back of the net. Looks like we end up as the 6th seed in the conference tourney and play SMU….if my projections are correct.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT