ADVERTISEMENT

TU vs Cincinnati GAME THREAD

9 and 3 this season. We were owed a freebie after the wins stolen by poor officiating against Houston and Navy. Even though we won this one, it kinda felt like a loss for some reason...

Hopefully that was a bit of a wake up call for the bowl game. So whoever we play we can get pumped for and squash them.

Reactions: TulsaGrad07
Hopefully that was a bit of a wake up call for the bowl game. So whoever we play we can get pumped for and squash them.

For real. I think the guys read too much about the hype in the papers and ESPN projected winner. They didn't come out with any fire in their bellies until the last drive in the 4th. I'm sure they'll try harder in their bowl game. They likely won't be expected to sodomize their opponent as they had believed to be the case tonight and barely snuck away with a victory.

The officials have f@@@ed us all year. Why stop now.
No kidding, does anyone know why intentional grounding was not called? If it's not a fumble, he sure as hell was between the tackles and the ball never sniffed the LOS.....10 yds and loss of down is huge after first snap in OT! Then 2 plays later on 3rd down Hayden airmailed a pass through the corner of the end zone from between the tackles, an obvious garbage pass again, which was not ruled grounding either.

TX

Dane kicked ass this game. Same as he has all season. Whoever we have as QB next year is going to look starkly fledgling next to what we're used to seeing with Dane the past 2 seasons. He drove TU 85 yards in 1:15 with 1 timeout. That's pretty damn impressive.

Dane scrambling helped win the game... he played smart. Had a few bad passes. He also used his legs effectively.

No kidding, does anyone know why intentional grounding was not called? If it's not a fumble, he sure as hell was between the tackles and the ball never sniffed the LOS.....10 yds and loss of down is huge after first snap in OT! Then 2 plays later on 3rd down Hayden airmailed a pass through the corner of the end zone from between the tackles, an obvious garbage pass again, which was not ruled grounding either.

TX
On the first one, its not grounding because he was trying to pull the ball down. The 2nd one the receiver cut his route short. I get that another AAC crew called Dane for grounding on a similar miscommunication with his receiver, but I didn't think either one was grounding. Other than a couple of missed holding penalties and the kick-catch interference call this crew did an OK job and let the players dictate the game.

I think the rules need to be revisited because the whole "tuck rule" creates a lot of issues. I think the NFL has already revised it to where that play would have remained a fumble because the intent to pass was clearly not there.

Dane scrambling helped win the game... he played smart. Had a few bad passes. He also used his legs effectively.
The 2 picks were good defensive alignment from Cincinnati and Dane not reading it. Bearcats were clearly intent on taking the quick slants away from Atkinson and Lucas and the safety was sliding into that space. The way to counter that is to have slot receiver run a wheel route, pump fake the slant and throw the sideline fade while the safety is biting up.

The pass Dane threw just to Atkinson late that drew a P.I. was a great throw on the run. Had the DB not grabbed Atkinson it's an easy TD.

I'm not as down that our QB situation is dire next year. I think Rubley is more than capable and I think President will refine his passing with more reps.

On the interference call, it was actually correct. I was livid about it also when I was there, but I recorded the game also and watched it when I got home to see what the deal was and the return guy does wave for a fair catch. It was just so early on that nobody noticed it

On the interference call, it was actually correct. I was livid about it also when I was there, but I recorded the game also and watched it when I got home to see what the deal was and the return guy does wave for a fair catch. It was just so early on that nobody noticed it

So, if a player calls for a fair catch & an opponent gets blocked into him, is it interference?

Reactions: Gold*
So, if a player calls for a fair catch & an opponent gets blocked into him, is it interference?
It's a good point and if you notice the officials actually huddled and we're discussing it. The TU cover guy actually reaches his hand out and hits the punt returner. IMO, while there was contact with the blocker, I don't think the blocker actually steered him into the returner (this is after watching it about 15 times in a row on DVR).

It's a good point and if you notice the officials actually huddled and we're discussing it. The TU cover guy actually reaches his hand out and hits the punt returner. IMO, while there was contact with the blocker, I don't think the blocker actually steered him into the returner (this is after watching it about 15 times in a row on DVR).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT