ADVERTISEMENT

TU - Navy game thread

Then you bash the coach but you leave the kid alone. My point is he did not cost us the game but people on here bashing that kid. Do we have better receivers on the bench that are t swing the field? Maybe. They aren’t on the field to find out. Again some of you just complain about the wrong things.

Oh? So we have only played 4 recievers and one TE a game? Because I am trying hard to think of another reciever this kid should be in front of on the depth chart.

Sorry, you didn't see me or the post I replied to knocking the kid. Our point was on the coach.

It's not other fans (negative ones in your opinions) who are looking for something, a certain group of fans refuse even now to take off blue and gold glasses and search for anything to defend.

He is a bad coach, making bad decisions, putting our program and his son in bad positions where they struggle to succeed.

Quit defending it.

Y’all need to get smooth off of cannon. He is not the reason we lost that game. Some of you just want to complain just to hear yourself complain. He went to high point that ball. It wasn’t like it was put in his chest. Brin made the choice to throw it to him.

the defense was doing their job the first half. I don’t know what happened to them in the second half. You want to start blaming players then you need to put it squarely on Brin and Crawford. Then put it on the rest of the receivers.

Brin made horrible decisions last night and did us zero favors. Crawford should have caught that touchdown instead of bobbling it and allowing Navy to get a touchback. Receivers were bobbling the ball all night long. The OLine is a separate issue.

long story short, leave that guy alone. Does Monty need to go, yes. But not a single one of you that are talking crap know what Monty said to the offense and what his instructions were to brin.

you want to complain then do it about something legitimate to make it sound like you actually watched the game.
I was happy for him and in his corner when he caught the TD against Ohio State. I don't WANT him to fail. Seems like our receivers regress under Monty rather than get better. Look what happened to Stokes this year. The coach can't go out there and catch balls, but ours can't even manage timeouts or play calling. We lost on every front yesterday except special teams, which is probably the most surprising thing of all truth be told.

This game sealed this coaching staff's fate unfortunately. The continuation of falling back into bad habits of poor game management, execution, etc is just unacceptable. I gave them a fair chance (maybe more than fair), but they're showing last year was an abnormality instead of turning a corner.

Time to move on.

It's my guess also that Rick Dickson will wait till the end of this miserable season to clean house. I give it up to Monty in holding to a rich TU tradition of recruiting those 2* guys that can play. Unfortunately, they're coached by those same guys that recruited them, particularly the head coach. That is, not putting them in a position to win with poor game management ( & that includes play-calling) and a lack of discipline. The fact that we play top teams tough is a testament to the quality of players we have, despite coaching blunders.

We need new blood, across the board. It will be tough sledding next year with all the players we lose, but a whole new staff can't do much worse.

It's my guess also that Rick Dickson will wait till the end of this miserable season to clean house. I give it up to Monty in holding to a rich TU tradition of recruiting those 2* guys that can play. Unfortunately, they're coached by those same guys that recruited them, particularly the head coach. That is, not putting them in a position to win with poor game management ( & that includes play-calling) and a lack of discipline. The fact that we play top teams tough is a testament to the quality of players we have, despite coaching blunders.

We need new blood, across the board. It will be tough sledding next year with all the players we lose, but a whole new staff can't do much worse.
This is how I feel about it. They can spot and develop talent but are disorganized and lack flexibility particularly on offense. After 7 years we know it's not changing.

This game sealed this coaching staff's fate unfortunately. The continuation of falling back into bad habits of poor game management, execution, etc is just unacceptable. I gave them a fair chance (maybe more than fair), but they're showing last year was an abnormality instead of turning a corner.

Time to move on.
When your loss to a 1-6 team isn't even close to your worst loss of the season, you know it's time to move on.

The lowest points scored by a Navy opponent this year was 23 before last night and they were giving up on average 32 points a game. We managed 10 offensive points. That's ... special.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
When your loss to a 1-6 team isn't even close to your worst loss of the season, you know it's time to move on.

The lowest points scored by a Navy opponent this year was 23 before last night and they were giving up on average 32 points a game. We managed 10 offensive points. That's ... special.
Terrible. The fact we had 2 weeks to get ready and then proceeded to run between the tackles 15+ times, out of a shotgun, and into a 7 man box is completely mind boggly and insane. We had about 3 good runs from this. The rest went for about 2 yards at best. If you're not smart enough to not do that then get gone.

Reactions: Tulsa76
I actually like our players. Montgomery has actually done a pretty good job recruiting. He needed to hire Bill Blankenship as his O coordinator and I think we would be a pretty good team. Last years team would have been super special!

GO TU!!!!

Reactions: drboobay
We could upgrad our receivers and dB corps a bit this season but on the whole I agree.

I actually like our players. Montgomery has actually done a pretty good job recruiting. He needed to hire Bill Blankenship as his O coordinator and I think we would be a pretty good team. Last years team would have been super special!

GO TU!!!!
Bill's offense was even more boring and predictable than Monty's. But given Phil's success his first 2 years, I think there's a good argument that Bill was the better recruiter.

If you're telling me I have to build a staff out of nothing but the old junk cluttering up my shed, I'd put Bill in charge of recruiting and Phil in charge of offense (yes, I did throw up a little saying that).

That said, I don't think either is a very good recruiter or offensive coach, we could do better in both regards for sure. Then the question is, who's going to pick the new coach? Because if there's one area that's been even worse than our coaches, it's our picking of university presidents. But also picking coaches.

Last edited:
Bill's offense was even more boring and predictable than Monty's. But given Phil's success his first 2 years, I think there's a good argument that Bill was the better recruiter.

If you're telling me I have to build a staff out of nothing but the old junk cluttering up my shed, I'd put Bill in charge of recruiting and Phil in charge of offense (yes, I did throw up a little saying that).

That said, I don't think either is a very good recruiter or offensive coach, we could do better in both regards for sure. Then the question is, who's going to pick the new coach? Because if there's one area that's been even worse than our coaches, it's our picking of university presidents. But also picking coaches.
Carson may be ok. Don't know yet.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
As far as predictable boring offenses go, I'd say 💭 Montgomery & Blankenship are neck and neck. Who would win that ignominious award isn't of any real consequence. It MIGHT mean one of them would win one more game during a season with the same players. Que sera, sera.

Separated from their predecessors recruits, I'd put Montgomery slightly ahead of Blankenship. A decent coach would have a moderately improved roster with Montgomery's recruits over Blankenship's.

Last edited:
Reactions: chito_and_leon
Carson may be ok. Don't know yet.
Yeah, as you know, I'm cautiously optimistic that we've learned from our mistakes and we'll see a pretty big shift, at least in athletics. That said, notwithstanding my inveterate grouchiness, I'm a diehard optimist so I'm probably not a good one to listen to on this.

3 NFL draft picks gives Montgomery the edge here. Not related to offense.

But it's a lot like asking whether Plan Nine from Outer Space is better than Heaven's Gate.
I was going to say whether being slowly drawn and quartered is better than being mauled to death by a pack of wild dogs but your simile is more genteel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT