ADVERTISEMENT

TU men's soccer

FIU still stumps me. They killed top 25 competition all year but lost to some slubs. I think they had more top 25 wins than anyone in our conference by a long shot.
Yeah, they just now cracked the top 25 in the coaches' poll. TU is #26 if your counting points from votes. Top Drawer soccer still has us #15 despite the last two losses.

I'll provide updates as they announce:

1 overall is Kentucky. Good sign for us I think. USF got an at large. Akron is the #16 overall seed.. Oregon St and Lipscomb are the #8 and 9 seeds overall.

Stanford is #5 overall. #12 overall is UNC-Greensboro. They get screwed because they'll play either Wake Forest or Ohio State in the 2nd round.

Indiana is #13. They'll host either SLU or Memphis (2 AAC teams as at large's so far and I expect SMU will get one as well...let's hope that doesn't screw us).
#4 national seed is Virginia

Down to 24 schools left:

#3 Overall is Syracuse. #14 is Cornell. SMU is #11 as an at large. If form holds, they'll have their hands full with Vermont in the 2nd round. Clemson is #6 overall. Not a surprise.

#7 is Duke. #10 seed overall is FIU.

TU gets the #15 overall national seed!!! That's 5 AAC schools in. We will host either Georgetown or Navy in the 2 nd round (I fully expect Georgetown to be here on Sunday). Should we advance we will likely ply #2 national seed Washington. Washington will play either Creighton or Mo State in the 2nd round.

Good to see. GO TU!

Nice! When will we find out game time?
Good question. I don't know. Using past years as a precedent, 2pm or 5pm CT would be normal. Right now while the bracket and hosts are filled in on the NCAA site, all game times are listed as TBA. I'm sure they will need to work with host schools to coordinate as well as with their TV partner. I think most games should be available on ESPN+. TU should work with a local channel, maybe the My41 to broadcast the game locally.

Right now the weather for Sunday shows 47 degrees as a high and sunny.

Some payback on Creighton or Georgetown would be nice. I don’t really know much about Washington. Looking forward to the throwball game up there though in the Fall.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
Washington has been solid the last 2 years but they've struggled in the postseason. I think they were upset in the 2nd round last season

• Tulsa Men’s Soccer Team Inks Four in 2023 Signing Class
11/15/2022 03:46:00 PM | MEN'S SOCCER

The Tulsa men's soccer team signed four players for the 2023 signing class, including junior-transfer Ty Sanchez and freshmen Will Applegate, Kenny Kwizera and Bowen McCloud.

"We are excited obviously to sign these first four players to our incoming class," Head Coach Tom McIntosh said. "This is a group of players that will help fill the needs of our departing players. Ty is a dynamic wide player that has the ability to beat people on the dribble. Will is a very proactive midfield player that has the ability to play multiple positions. Kenny is powerful, shoots well and is creative. Bowen is strong, has good mobility and is a very intelligent soccer player. All four guys have the ability to come in and compete and make an immediate impact on our team."

A 5-10 forward from Sterrett, Ala., Sanchez is a junior transfer from Salt Lake Community College. He has helped SLCC post a 32-2-1 record in the last two seasons, including a third-place finish in the NJCAA Division I Championship last season and are currently still playing in this year's tournament. Sanchez has seven goals and three assists for 17 points as a Bruin and picked up second-team all-conference honors this season. He played club soccer for IMG Academy (2016-19) and Houston Dynamo (2019-21), scoring 46 goals between the two clubs.

Applegate, a 5-10 midfielder from Tulsa, Okla., has played for the Tulsa Soccer Club ECNL for 12 years and is a two-time first-team all-conference Texas ECNL honoree. Applegate is also a three-year letterwinner at Bishop Kelley High School where he helped his team claim the Oklahoma Class 5A State title as a sophomore. In two seasons he has tallied 46 goals and 33 assists for 125 points. He was named the Oklahoma Gatorade Player of the Year as a junior, was selected as the Tulsa World all-World Soccer Player of the Year as a sophomore, and earned the BKHS Golden Boot as a sophomore and junior.

A 5-6 forward from Lexington, S.C., Kwizera plays club soccer for South Carolina United where he has tallied 36 goals and has been named to the all-conference team. He also is a three-year letterwinner at Lexington High School where he has recorded 46 goals and has been named to the all-region and all-state teams.

McCloud, a 6-0 midfielder from Wheaton, Ill., has played club soccer for the Chicago Fire for three years, FC Dallas for one year and competed in the U19 MLSNEXT Cup in 2021. He is also a four-year soccer letterwinner at Alpha Omega Academy.

I just saw a juco transfer, second team all conference. All conference and all state teams aren’t anything special. Guess I was looking for national rankings like in fb, bb. Probably doesn’t exist in soccer.

I trust Tom don’t get me wrong.

I just saw a juco transfer, second team all conference. All conference and all state teams aren’t anything special. Guess I was looking for national rankings like in fb, bb. Probably doesn’t exist in soccer.

I trust Tom don’t get me wrong.
I don't know how to evaluate the class either so was wondering if you might have a tangible reference point.

Yeah me either. I played some soccer a hundred years ago, didn’t have a lot of this stuff. So I don’t have a reference point.

Yeah me either. I played some soccer a hundred years ago, didn’t have a lot of this stuff. So I don’t a peach basket have a reference point.
Did they use a round ball back in the day? I practiced basketball shooting with a bushel basket. Mom got upset because it still had apples in it and she had to climb a ladder to make apple pies. How things have changed for us old timers.

This sounds like kind of an underwhelming class. Am I wrong?
You are wrong. The Kwizera kid is a beast up top. Super feet and technical skill and even at 5'6", it is extremely difficult to knock him off the ball. Will Applegate is one of the best players in the region. You don't get named to an all region ECNL team by being underwhelming. Sanchez is going o be a good pickup. I haven't seen McCloud play but if he's been a part of that many MLS academies, then he's got something special in his game. Think Malik Henry Scott.

They also grabbed a kid from Spain who looks to be a special player but I think LOI are treated differently for int'l players. To be honest, it's easy for kids to be found by college coaches in today's world. Put together a highlight reel, post it on HUDL or NCSA or any of a dozen different services. Hell, my son has filled out online interest cards for TU, MIT, Mo S&T and a couple of others. And the # of showcases that are out there that coaches can go to and scout is ridiculous. There's a big one in Tulsa this weekend. My son is going to one in FL in December and another in Arizona in March. Plus the # of ID camps. Remember, TU is in a great place in the college soccer world right now. Highly ranked all of last year, ranked most of this year with mad respect from the tournament committee giving us a #15 national seed even after 2 consecutive losses. TU is now a school top players are going to look at both for the quality of soccer and the quality of the school. Take a look at all the schools with national seeds...Kentucky is probably the worst academic school in the bunch while everyone else is a good to great school academically. Tom can capitalize on that. What TU soccer probably needs is a donor campaign to endow at least the coaches salaries where they can be raised to a level that keeps good assistants here. Tom has had great assistants over the years and most of them leave for higher level college jobs or head coaching gigs.

We have a good relationship with the academy systems of FC Dallas and Houston since their founding. Anybody on their radar, even for a year, has the potential to become a great player at TU if that’s what they want.

In the rich get richer world of recruiting, Tom needs a deep run in the tourney and another high level performer like Pore to come to TU. Then the flood gates will open.

Did they use a round ball back in the day? I practiced basketball shooting with a bushel basket. Mom got upset because it still had apples in it and she had to climb a ladder to make apple pies. How things have changed for us old timers.
Bill, those bushel baskets were awesome before the pandemic 😃

Reactions: Bill Lowery
If Georgetown has retained his traditional size advantage over opponents, that wont last. I haven't watched them this year.
I'm watching the game now. Georgetown is the better team but I can't see that they have a huge size advantage. They are up 1-0 right now with 28 minutes left in the 2nd half. Navy is not huge from what I can tell but Georgetown doens't look giant. Navy's GK looks to be about 5'10/5'11. Georgetown does have a clear speed advantage over Navy. I don't think that would be the case against TU as we have good quickness as a team.

And the broadcast team just mentioned that there are 4 New England Revs players (assuming academy) on their roster. Also, apparently the color guy is married to a TU alum as he mentioned she and her sorority sisters were probably watching to scout the game.

Georgetown now up 2-0 with 20 minutes left. Navy is struggling to hold possession as it does not appear they see the field very well and Navy just isn't committing numbers forward even down and late in the game when you know the season ends with a loss. I don't quite understand that mentality as a coach. A 3-0 loss in a playoff is no different than a 4-0 loss in a playoff.

Looks like Georgetown will hold on and we'll see them on Sunday. In the other NCAA tournament game happening right now, High Point has a 2-0 lead on North Carolina in a slight upset.

Is anyone local and want tickets? I have a link that could probably save you $3 a ticket ($5 total for the ticket). Time to pack the place on Saturday

No mention that the men beat Georgetown 1-0 in OT today to advance to the third round?
I was following the play by play on the tracker. Seemed like there were more than usual number of yellow cards and a red card against a GU player as game ended. Maybe someone that was there will clue us in on what happened

Creighton ahead of UW. We could get another (winnable) home game. 6 more mins.

No mention that the men beat Georgetown 1-0 in OT today to advance to the third round?
Frustrating game to watch. I had to turn it off. One of those games where you hope for the best but expect the worst. Glad it worked out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT