ADVERTISEMENT

TU men's soccer

Charlotte go a close in header on the crossbar with the goalkeeper out of position with 20s left. If he'd of just dropped that header a foot or less! FIU wins it 3-2. So we're still tied with FIU in the standings, and FIU with the tiebreaker, before the last game.

Gonna check on SMU score now.

Well we need the top 25 killer to stumble next week. FIU has I think 5-6 wins over top 25 teams this year

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
So it's us and FIU atop the standings at 5-2-1. And USF(4-1-3) and SMU(5-3-0) tied for 2nd.

Us and SMU and FIU and FAU.

Fau played giant killer against SMU tonight. Now we need them to do it again against FIU. Just need a tie out of Fau vs Fiu, if we beat SMU.

Reactions: TUcandoit
That one shot Charlotte put on and over the crossbar w/ 20s left was all that kept everything from going our way tonight.

Reactions: TUcandoit
USF plays UCF next week, could be important if say we tie SMU, and FIU loses. We'd need a tie or a loss out of USF if that happens.

Our game was interesting. This version of TU is almost identical to last year. While Zinnhard left, Botenburg has stepped in and filled that role admirable. The biggest difference I see this year and the reason why our number of chances is down is because of 2 missing pieces. The first, and most important IMO, is Chase Bromstedt. He was a natural lefty and his service from the left fullback spot is something we miss. Mitchell Cashion is a great player but he is not the same with his left foot as he is with his right. The other is Ben Barkley who just seemed to find the ball and be able to score. We have missed out on both of them and seem to be relying on Meinhard and MHS to do some 1 v 1 magic and create chances instead of working the ball in. We passed on several open looks in the box yesterday to pass some more. Sometimes just hammer the ball low and hard and see if the keeper can control it...most times they are going to leave a juicy rebound. And TU seemed to stay in control last night when UCF wanted to suck them into a game that degraded as they lost players to red cards. I didn't see the first one but the 2nd one was undeniable. I believe the review was to make sure the foul occurred outside or inside the box and to review the number as the UCF player was also injured and left the pitch on the play. Once the ref signaled for the foul there was no doubt it was a straight red (from behind, last man back, clear DOGSO foul). The player from UCF also knew it as well. And then TU played keep away for the last 10 minutes other than the stupid hand ball from Botenburg and subsequent yellow for dissent. How TU didn't put up 2-3 is still puzzling.

Here's hoping everyone is healthy for Wednesday. And I hate that the game vs SMU is on Wednesday because I would seriously consider going down for it if it were the weekend.

When does TU play next and here? I saw the Temple win on espn+
I am not super knowledgeable about soccer but I love it when I have team to root for

When does TU play next and here? I saw the Temple win on espn+
I am not super knowledgeable about soccer but I love it when I have team to root for
Done this season unless they host the conference tourney or an ncaa game.

Thanks will be watching and excited to see my first home game in the playoffs

now super nervous about bball at Oregon z state late Monday
Can’t find a line

Thanks will be watching and excited to see my first home game in the playoffs

now super nervous about bball at Oregon z state late Monday
Can’t find a line
Is that day after tomorrow?

We play at SMU Wednesday Nov 2. I think if we win we will host conference tournament. Tell me if that is right?

We play at SMU Wednesday Nov 2. I think if we win we will host conference tournament. Tell me if that is right?
No.

Read pages 5 & 6 of this post. I'm not going to repeat myself.

For someone so eager for info, you don't read the stuff right in front of you.

Just putting out what schedule says according to tulsa hurricane.com I was at the last game we’re you ? You have nothing better to do than gripe at fans we don’t have enough of them as it is without trying to run them off If you have problem with me we can meet at one of the games

Last edited:
I don't see why anyone would be angry at this comment???

I believe that perhaps FIU would have a tiebreaker over us to host the tournament so beating SMU is not necessary and sufficient. But I'm not an expert on the conference seeding rules for soccer. Maybe head to head competition is not the deciding factor, or for some reason FIU is not capable of hosting. Remember, this year there were not home and home games so I could see doing something different.

Just putting out what schedule says according to tulsa hurricane.com I was at the last game we’re you ? You have nothing better to do than gripe at fans we don’t have enough of them as it is without trying to run them off If you have problem with me we can meet at one of the games
You obviously still haven't read the postings. If you would read, you would have already known the answer. I'm not meeting you behind the gym in high school. You are impatient, and don't read the board. I did the research, and you didn't read it. It is all laid out earlier in the posting, and is a bit drawn out, so I'm not reposting it, when you can read it yourself.

Head to head is pretty much always the immediate tie breaker.(And in AAC soccer, it is the tiebreaker when only two teams are tied. Did the research for this again.) I'm not trying to run you off. I'm just pointing out some etiquette on the board. I got taught a few lessons when I joined the board. My first reaction when told it was posted earlier in the board, was not an angry post. It was to go back and read the board. If I thought I was still justified after doing this, then I posted a retort.

What's the point in my doing the research, posting on it in several posts, if I have to go back and tack it all together and repost, every time someone comes on and gets impatient.

And by the way, if someone were a long time poster/knew board etiquette, I would have referenced it in the same way, just not with the side remarks. My post would have simply consisted of this:

Take a look at pages 5 and 6 of this topic, answered in detail there.

This week's Top Drawer Soccer rankings are out. TU is up to #6. 1-5 are:

1) Washington
2) Duke
3) Kentucky
4) Syracuse
5) Marshall

Coaches poll/NCAA rankings haven't been released for this week yet. I expect TU to move up a couple spots this week. Current NCAA RPI is #10.

Hope to see the team play in the playoffs at Tulsa.

Let's just let it go please. It really does not matter that much!

Back to the soccer.

We have a very skilled team but we also seem more vulnerable and I can understand that the fullback personnel change might be a part of it.

We also need our GK back. The backup has done a good job but he makes me a little nervous with the ball at his feet.

Back to the soccer.

We have a very skilled team but we also seem more vulnerable and I can understand that the fullback personnel change might be a part of it.

We also need our GK back. The backup has done a good job but he makes me a little nervous with the ball at his feet.
The backup GK was fine the other day. He probably played to give Alex some rest and I believe Pop said he could have gone if it was needed. Obviously Tom felt pretty confident in his team's ability to handle UCF.

The biggest issue is we are not finding the back of the net at the same rate as last year. The attack is very controlled but seemingly breaks down in the final 1/3.

The backup GK was fine the other day. He probably played to give Alex some rest and I believe Pop said he could have gone if it was needed. Obviously Tom felt pretty confident in his team's ability to handle UCF.

The biggest issue is we are not finding the back of the net at the same rate as last year. The attack is very controlled but seemingly breaks down in the final 1/3.
He lets the ball get a bit too far away from his body when playing with his feet. But I agree he played pretty well overall. He came way off his line one time to stop a potential through ball and made a good play.

He lets the ball get a bit too far away from his body when playing with his feet. But I agree he played pretty well overall. He came way off his line one time to stop a potential through ball and made a good play.
So being the father of a GK...if your team is playing a high line and your fullbacks are expected to join the attack, the GK is expected to play a bit higher and help with those over the top and through balls. Lopez is exceptional at this as well as playing as a 5th defender to play out of the back with. I would be interested to see someone put together some analytics on the # of goals prevented by a 6'2" GK vs Lopez who might be 5'10" on his good days and then the # of goals contributed to. or # of extra possessions (time of possession) a team may have because they can play through the GK like TU does? My son is 5'11" and the other GK on his team is 6'2". I'd venture a guess that there hasn't been a goal scored on my son that the other GK would have stopped, nor any saves the other GK has made that my son would not have to this point in the season...and my son has definitely had the better go of it when it comes to playing through the back and distributing to get the team out on the counter. I think teams put too much emphasis on GK height when shot stopping is maybe 30% of their game in the modern era.

And I understand why Tom plays Alex back there...he was literally the missing piece for TU to be able to play the style Tom wanted (which is essentially the Liverpool style of pushing the fullbacks way up on the wings and using your 3, 4 and 6 as your primary defenders.

So NCAA rankings for this week has TU at #12, SMU is @ #16. Tonight's game is HUGE.

That said, much like the CFP rankings were announced this weekend, the NCAA also released it's top 16 seeds if the tournament were to start today. This is important as the top 16 receive a 1st round bye and then host 2nd round games. Top 8 would also host a 3rd round game, top 4 host quarterfinals and then to the College Cup. TU checked in at #7 in the first release, SMU is also in the top 16. Again, a win tonight would all but ensure TU get to host it's first game in the tournament and likely a 2nd game. Winning out tonight and in the AAC tournament and depending on how things shake out in other conferences, TU could be a top 4 seed. Let's hop they find a goal or 2 tonight against the Mustangs.

CORRECTION: SMU is #9 in this initial seeding.

FIU won, so we wouldn't have got the first seed. We're down 3-2 with 8 min left.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT