ADVERTISEMENT

TU men's soccer

TU @ USF tonight. USF has had TU on their heels most of the night. MHS just put TU up 1-0 with 23 minutes left in the 2nd half.

I've seen some very uncharacteristic poor defending from Fazio and Cashion tonight and I haven't seen Sach involved much.

Very physical game too.

Tied 1-1. USF scores on a PK with 18 left. Little bogus. Lopez picks up a yellow moving back and forth on his line waiting the PK. Not sure why. GKs are allowed to move along the line.

The officials have lost control in this one too so there's barking and every foul is hard and cynical.

Just went back and watched the TU goal and USF PK on ESPN+. The PK was definitely soft and the yellow on Lopez was completely bogus. Not a good look for the ref.

Just went back and watched the TU goal and USF PK on ESPN+. The PK was definitely soft and the yellow on Lopez was completely bogus. Not a good look for the ref.
Yeah, those were my thoughts. That said, I'm not sure TU deserved to win this game as they didn't play well. I've also noticed Alex Meinhard has not been playing and I can only assume he's picked up another injury. Anyone who wants to know how much of a game changer he is, just look at the last 2.5 games where he hasn't played...we are struggling to hold possession deep and score goals.

BTW, USF's pitch is a travesty and isn't worthy of a U14 rec game let alone a D1 college game. The grass is sparse and the boxes are worthy of being called "Titan like" (Lawpoke will know what I'm talking about). There's no way USF should have a pitch that looks that bad.

Yeah, those were my thoughts. That said, I'm not sure TU deserved to win this game as they didn't play well. I've also noticed Alex Meinhard has not been playing and I can only assume he's picked up another injury. Anyone who wants to know how much of a game changer he is, just look at the last 2.5 games where he hasn't played...we are struggling to hold possession deep and score goals.

BTW, USF's pitch is a travesty and isn't worthy of a U14 rec game let alone a D1 college game. The grass is sparse and the boxes are worthy of being called "Titan like" (Lawpoke will know what I'm talking about). There's no way USF should have a pitch that looks that bad.
They are building a new facility this year iirc. Lacrosse will take over that stadium which is only like 10 years old.

They are building a new facility this year iirc. Lacrosse will take over that stadium which is only like 10 years old.
Interesting. I think that field is in a drainage retention area sort of like the practice facility soccer uses next to the Case Tennis Center. I think the pitch on our practice facility is better than their game pitch.

We might try to go and check their facility out in December. My son is playing in a showcase in Lakewood and we're flying in to Tampa and staying in Sarasota/Bradenton. I don't know if we're anywhere close or what type of spare time we might have to check places out. Unfortunately there aren't any schools on his list in Florida...closest would be Ga Tech.

Interesting. I think that field is in a drainage retention area sort of like the practice facility soccer uses next to the Case Tennis Center. I think the pitch on our practice facility is better than their game pitch.

We might try to go and check their facility out in December. My son is playing in a showcase in Lakewood and we're flying in to Tampa and staying in Sarasota/Bradenton. I don't know if we're anywhere close or what type of spare time we might have to check places out. Unfortunately there aren't any schools on his list in Florida...closest would be Ga Tech.
It’s about 90 minutes by car with Tampa traffic from Sarasota to USF. It is close to Busch Gardens though!

If we don't pull a UAB type performance out of our wazoo, then we should get a win out of Temple, and hopefully take UCF too. We've got one or two matches I wish we could do over again.(USF & UAB)

That would leave us with our final match to go head to head with SMU and have a decent record. It would be nice if the title were on the line with SMU. Hopefully USF or FAU can at least pull a tie with SMU before our match.

Would like to get the first seed in the tourney, and get a chance at revenge in the semi's over USF or FIU.(FIU would be the better) UAB might not even make the tourney.(Don't the last two in the league get eliminated from the tourney?)

Last edited:
Reactions: HuffyCane
If you have espn plus you can watch it anytime. Fun game.

I didn’t get a chance to watch. How’d they look?
They looked like the TU we have come to expect. Memphis was credited with 3 shots and one was blocked out over the goal line by a great play from Protzek tracking back. It was really the only dangerous moment of the match for TU as they pretty much played keep away the rest of the match. The passing was really crisp...much better than what we saw at USF. The 1st goal from Baena came from about 25 yds out and was reminiscent of the goal MHS scored against FAU last week. Upper 90 far post. 2nd goal came off a set play and Fazio got a head to it but really only popped it up but he got to it first and took a sort of scissor volley into the side netting at the far post. The 3rd goal came of a ball at the top of the box that Protzek smoked that deflected off the hip of a defender which caught the GK going the wrong way.

But the style TU played was their normal possession and find the openings. The defending was good as well as Memphis never had space to work with anything in the final 1/3. Good all around effort from TU. It was also encouraging that Meinhard did play some minutes.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
They looked like the TU we have come to expect. Memphis was credited with 3 shots and one was blocked out over the goal line by a great play from Protzek tracking back. It was really the only dangerous moment of the match for TU as they pretty much played keep away the rest of the match. The passing was really crisp...much better than what we saw at USF. The 1st goal from Baena came from about 25 yds out and was reminiscent of the goal MHS scored against FAU last week. Upper 90 far post. 2nd goal came off a set play and Fazio got a head to it but really only popped it up but he got to it first and took a sort of scissor volley into the side netting at the far post. The 3rd goal came of a ball at the top of the box that Protzek smoked that deflected off the hip of a defender which caught the GK going the wrong way.

But the style TU played was their normal possession and find the openings. The defending was good as well as Memphis never had space to work with anything in the final 1/3. Good all around effort from TU. It was also encouraging that Meinhard did play some minutes.
I would agree though there were a couple of very dangerous Memphis chances early that could have been goals. But we then established our game.

I didn't check my email before the game so I didn't get the notice that the time had been moved up. I turned the game on at 7 and I saw we were up already 1-0 and the clock and 44:37 left on it. All I could think is we scored somehow in the first 20 seconds of the game. It took me a minute to realize it was the start of the 2nd half and I had missed the whole first half lol.

• Haha
Reactions: TU_BLA
I think they did it because of the potential for bad weather towards the end of the game at the 7pm start time. Of course, nothing rolled through Tulsa until after midnight so they probably didn't really need to move it.

Reactions: TUcandoit
Talk about a disparity in the polls. TU is #9 in Top Drawer Soccer, #22 in the United Coaches Poll which appears on the NCAA website. My guess is those voting in the coaches poll haven't actually watched many of the other teams but are relying on record, recent results, and reputation. TU obviously holds the reputation right now which is why they are hanging around in that poll. I think the Top Drawer voters are more soccer guys who are watching as many games as possible and rating the quality of a team despite some weird results.

I will be happy if we don't have to make another trip to Florida this season. We have not played well there our 2 trips so far so having to go to USF or FIU for the AAC tourney would suck. I would feel a lot better about going to SMU if needed as we seem to play well in Dallas. We should have won the game there last year by 2 goals or maybe more and just couldn't find the back of the net.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
The coaches have long memories. They remember our smaller quicker teams getting a high ranking then getting smoked by physically larger teams in the tourney. They look at we’ve lost to and make the same conclusion. We are probably somewhere in between the two. It will work itself out.

Talk about a disparity in the polls. TU is #9 in Top Drawer Soccer, #22 in the United Coaches Poll which appears on the NCAA website. My guess is those voting in the coaches poll haven't actually watched many of the other teams but are relying on record, recent results, and reputation. TU obviously holds the reputation right now which is why they are hanging around in that poll. I think the Top Drawer voters are more soccer guys who are watching as many games as possible and rating the quality of a team despite some weird results.

I will be happy if we don't have to make another trip to Florida this season. We have not played well there our 2 trips so far so having to go to USF or FIU for the AAC tourney would suck. I would feel a lot better about going to SMU if needed as we seem to play well in Dallas. We should have won the game there last year by 2 goals or maybe more and just couldn't find the back of the net.
I personally would like FIU in the semifinals to pay them back, and gain a little bit of respect about that loss. Hopefully we can get the home seed in the semifinals, and muster a better game against them.

The coaches have long memories. They remember our smaller quicker teams getting a high ranking then getting smoked by physically larger teams in the tourney. They look at we’ve lost to and make the same conclusion. We are probably somewhere in between the two. It will work itself out.
I personally think we are better than both show but I do agree, we should probably be ranked somewhere in between. I truly think we are a top 5 team but we tend to struggle in water lol

I personally think we are better than both show but I do agree, we should probably be ranked somewhere in between. I truly think we are a top 5 team but we tend to struggle in water lol

I also think we've only played with the rotation the way Tom wants it maybe twice all season. We've had some minor knocks and it looks like Tom is trying to manage things to keep players a little fresher for later in the season. I think everyone knows how good we can be when we're playing our best. Kentucky is currently ranked #2 and got a gift from the ref in our game otherwise they probably would have taken an L in that one. Up until the red card, TU thoroughly dominated that game. Dominated the possession, dominated the chances.

As for the games we've looked bad in Florida during...not sure what kind of travel schedule they usually use but it almost looks like jet lag or travel legs where they just can't get the lactic acid that builds up just sitting on a plane out enough prior to the game kicking. I know for my own son that struggle is real at the HS level and sitting in a bus for an hour or two and trying to get enough of a walk through and warm up in before the game to get it all out.

Well we got the win, it wasn't pretty but it keeps us in control of our own destiny. Win out and I believe we finish as #1 seed in tourney. I might be wrong here, I need to look at the standings again but I am at work and sneaking this in lol.

Reactions: drboobay
Well we got the win, it wasn't pretty but it keeps us in control of our own destiny. Win out and I believe we finish as #1 seed in tourney. I might be wrong here, I need to look at the standings again but I am at work and sneaking this in lol.
Will be an FAU fan for rest of season.

If we and FIU win out, they have the tiebreaker.
(They beat Memphis as well.)

SMU 5-2, Tulsa, FIU, and Memphis 4-2-1.

Us play UCF & SMU
SMU plays FAU & US.
FIU plays Charlotte and FAU.
Memphis plays USF & UAB.

Last edited:
Reactions: TUcandoit
Will be a big night to set up the standings before next Wednesday's final regular season matchups. Hoping for 2 or 3 losses or tie's(Memphis, SMU & FIU) and a win.(TU) Will all be over but the crying at about 9p tonight.(FIU & Memphis games over around 8p, Tulsa & SMU games around 9P.)

Last edited:
Hey I flashed onto espn+, to see if all four of the upper teams matches would be on espn+. Looks like one of em, SMU will be on their opponents network that you can get a free preview of?(FAU)

The main thing I saw though, was our game was scheduled for 1 hour earlier 6p? Has anybody seen mention of that anywhere else?

Hey I flashed onto espn+, to see if all four of the upper teams matches would be on espn+. Looks like one of em, SMU will be on their opponents network that you can get a free preview of?(FAU)

The main thing I saw though, was our game was scheduled for 1 hour earlier 6p? Has anybody seen mention of that anywhere else?
I haven't received an email yet on it. They did this last game as well but by the time I got the email the game was already in the 2nd half.

Will be a big night to set up the standings before next Wednesday's final regular season matchups. Hoping for 2 or 3 losses or tie's(Memphis, SMU & FIU) and a win.(TU) Will all be over but the crying at about 9p tonight.(FIU & Memphis games over around 8p, Tulsa & SMU games around 9P.)
Who do we play and what time?

In player rankings, they said Meinhard was the #2 ranked player in the NCAA. Don't think I'd heard that before.

We are struggling to get chances in this match. Hopefully will see a better second half.

1-0 USF up on Memphis.
1-1 Charlotte and USF.
Not watching SMU still don't know if its changed from 1-1

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT