ADVERTISEMENT

TU men's soccer

SMU and FIU both tied with Vermont and New Hampshire respectfully.

Frustrating game to watch. I had to turn it off. One of those games where you hope for the best but expect the worst. Glad it worked out.
Our defense was much better today until the 2nd OT.

Did not create enough dangerous chances though. I would probably give Wyatt and Prozek fewer minutes. Henry Scott was good in the first half and on the assist to Jeffus.

2nd ot was scary to watch. Had a couple good looks in 2nd half that wyatt and I cant remember the other one miss hit pretty badly. Also not sure if we should of been called for a penalty kick there towards the end. Think it could of gone either way but am glad it wasmt called

2nd ot was scary to watch. Had a couple good looks in 2nd half that wyatt and I cant remember the other one miss hit pretty badly. Also not sure if we should of been called for a penalty kick there towards the end. Think it could of gone either way but am glad it wasmt called
Yes on the PK. We are fortunate.

Reactions: GoldenCaneKC
I was following the play by play on the tracker. Seemed like there were more than usual number of yellow cards and a red card against a GU player as game ended. Maybe someone that was there will clue us in on what happened
The ref let the game get out of hand. Georgetown was lucky to have not gone down a man in the 1st half as Alex Meinhard took an elbow to the nose and it drew blood. VAR almost assuredly results in a red there.

The yellows in the 2nd half and ET periods were deserved. The red for the Georgetown player came after the final whistle and he actually chased down the ref crew and confronted them. I can only imagine he had said a few magic words. My guess is the kid was upset over the lack of a PK awarded on what appeared to be a dive in the 2nd ET period. While the red has little impact right now, if that player has eligibility left it will certainly means he misses a game or three at the start of next season.

I can tell you the atmosphere at this game was electric. Not quite the same as the TU/SMU game last season but it still had a lot of energy from the players and the crowd. And Georgetown was a worthy opponent. They had good players and some speed outside which made things interesting. On top of that their GK was GINORMOUS.

Next up Creighton, then FIU?

Two servings of vengeance coming up.(That's a triple scoop on top of Georgetown.)

After Creighton will most likely be Duke.
I wouldn't sell FIU short in that game. Sure that's what the seedings say but look at all the high seeds that have already lost. Clemson and UVA from the ACC alone have gone down. There's a lot of parity in men's college soccer right now and there's a lot of quality out there.

As for our game, I just watched some important segments on the ESPN+ replay. So the elbow that hammered Meinhard and bloodied his nose. Should have been a minimum of a yellow card and possibly a red card for reckless and dangerous play. I think in a league with VAR, it would have been a send off. On the non call late that denied Georgetown a PK. I believe the referee explained to the coach that his player threw himself into Bottenburg. I believe the touch he took to get outside of Bottenburg was too heavy and taking the ball OB. And the kid was going down looking for the PK call.

I hope that at some time they will be able to replace the soccer field lighting with something brighter. I find the lighting tough to see for these night games.

Reactions: TU_BLA and drboobay
Didnt realize creighton has the nation's leading scorer. Only caught the last 10 minutes or so but he looked dang good. And their passing looked on point. Think we will need at least 2 possibly 3 goals to win this one.

Last edited:
I hope that at some time they will be able to replace the soccer field lighting with something brighter. I find the lighting tough to see for these night games.
Its the original scoreboard, sound, lighting, and track - now almost twenty years old. We replaced the pitch when that was overdue. There was just a major gift for the track now and into the future. Scoreboard will be replaced in time for next season. Lighting and upgraded press box is next.

Everyone on here gave me the business five or so years ago when they weren't spending the endowed maintenance funds - money in the bank that couldn't be spent on anything else - to do planned maintenance on things like lighting and the roof on DonRey because the leadership at that time was more concerned about appearances and faculty relations and geopolitics than running a multimillion dollar business. Everybody on here was saying we needed an IPF now, and we did and still do, but we needed a lot of other things more than that.

On here and on campus I warned everyone that listened that not only would planned repairs pile up, it would cascade into problems managing needed upgrades as our once pristine and top shelf facilities aged. We would get bogged down doing repairs needed 5 years ago instead of the upgrades needed now. And that type of lag would really drag us down with our conference partners. And it did. The state of the tennis facility was inexcusable under Gragg. Well, we are finally starting to make those repairs and catch up. This is one of the many things I was talking about 18 months ago when I said big things are up ahead. Small changes that few notice that lead to big gains in the future.

Vote with your dedicated cash. $50 bucks wont make a difference in paying the bill, but it does make a difference in terms of leadership seeing where the fans are concerned with upgrading facilities, supporting particularly successful programs, etc.

Reactions: TU 1978
Yes. The new LED field lighting needs to come at Skelly, the soccer stadium and the softball stadium. Look at local HS; Union and BA both have the new LED lighting and things are so much brighter on the field. It should be part of any donor campaign to upgrade those facilities.

Yes. The new LED field lighting needs to come at Skelly, the soccer stadium and the softball stadium. Look at local HS; Union and BA both have the new LED lighting and things are so much brighter on the field. It should be part of any donor campaign to upgrade those facilities.
It can and should be done without a single donor gift, but that would certainly help. Ideally, you get a single gift of 30 to 50% and raise or divert the rest.

Two straight break away without a shot on goal. Frustrating. Creighton getting frustrated, two yellow in last 5 minutes.

Creighton is very quick.

T Wyatt is my favorite player. I think it’s his energy, then again it could be his hair.
Yeah he always comes in with a ton of energy.

Even his hair has folichilnetic energy. (soft c)

He's a fave of mine too.

Horrible second half... looked like a completely different squad that came out for the second half. The officiating sucked too, but ????

I don’t know squat about soccer but it looked like the keeper was diving for the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT