ADVERTISEMENT

TU Coaching Candidates

If TU gets Eric and Cam in a package deal, they end up with the best starting QB in Oklahoma next fall
The coach sounds great, but we already have the best starting QB in Oklahoma. BB lit up the kitties ( as a red-shirt freshman) and will only get better. A scary thought for future opponents. (although we can't have too many QB's to keep each other sharp). Welcome to the group, SFB.

If TU wants to consider coaches from The Word, they should look at Eric Morris, current OC at Washington State. He was the head coach at The Word for the 4 years preceding the arrival of GJ. He recruited Cam Ward to The Word as a QB and he ended up being the best QB in FCS as a freshman. Cam is now the starting QB at Washington State, but he will go wherever Eric gets hired.

If TU gets Eric and Cam in a package deal, they end up with the best starting QB in Oklahoma next fall and a really solid young HC with a really exciting offense who has proven he can recruit the heck out of Texas (recruited and coached Patrick Mahomes while OC at Texas Tech). If TU doesn't take Eric, Texas State will. Would hate to lose out on a head coach and QB of this quality to the likes of Texas State.
An interesting post earlier in this thread from a first time poster.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
I looked up Eric Morris and not sure what I think. As offensive co...he hasn't blown me away. Averaging less than 400 yds per game at Washington St. If his big pull is that we might get a QB out of it...I will pass. A new coach is more than one QB.

The ol Tulsa world is at it again naming the bixby head coach as a potential candidate to replace Montgomery… same stupid sh!t they did during the basketball season with the owasso HC.

Just when I think they’ve turned a corner, they do something stupid like this.

I doubt there is another D1 football program out there where the local media suggests a damn hs football coach to take an open head coaching position.

The ol Tulsa world is at it again naming the bixby head coach as a potential candidate to replace Montgomery… same stupid sh!t they did during the basketball season with the owasso HC.

I doubt there is another D1 football program out there where the local media suggests a damn hs football coach to take an open head coaching position.
The Tulsa World is as useless as toilet paper after eating 30 tacos.

Stigler must be writing for the World.

To be fair, their list is long and includes GJ and Brennan as HC candidates.

at least get a highschool coach from texas, allen, southlake, katy, ... who has connections for recruiting.

To be fair, their list is long and includes GJ and Brennan as HC candidates.
As it should. But listing a damn hs coach perpetuates that nonsense perception that TU is somehow so much less than that we’d hire someone with zero college coaching experience at any level.

They’re stuck on the name Montgomery.

Just remember that you can’t fix stupid. Accepting that tidbit will give you peace. LOL

Just remember that you can’t fix stupid. Accepting that tidbit will give you peace. LOL
Twitter has several morons going on about how TU made the wrong decision and how TU isn’t a good coaching job blah blah blah. I didn’t realize there were so many haters out there.

Reactions: Henry Kendall

There have been some good HS coaches who eventually became FBS head coaches, but in almost every case, they are a college assistant coach for a few years before becoming a head coach.

For example, Bill Blankenship actually resigned from Union in 2005, after a great HS coaching career. He then was hired at TU in 2007 & was an assistant for 4 seasons, before being elevated to head coach starting in the 2011 season.

It really is ignorant and condescending to think TU would hire a head coach straight out of a local high school. It shows a total lack of understanding of the ONLY FBS football program in the metro area they are supposed to be covering.

Maybe it’s time the Tulsa sports journalists start attending college football games in Tulsa.

Last edited:
I like the guy in Kansas City, probably can't get him!!!!!

GO TU!!!!

Reactions: TUMU
Twitter has several morons going on about how TU made the wrong decision and how TU isn’t a good coaching job blah blah blah. I didn’t realize there were so many haters
They’re not haters, they’re just folks that are too ignorant to think for themselves or develop an educated opinion. As southern ladies like to say “that poor thing”.

I had a chuckle with you. I felt he was bad then, and don't have any reason to feel any different now.

If I remember correctly, wasn't that the same thing pooper scooper thought at the time?
It was publicly reported he was offered the job and they failed to reach terms.

Everybody has an angle on this type of deal. They have to spend money to cover this story so they throw garbage out like that so every Bixby fan will click. It’s a lot more clicks than the Barry Lunney fan club. Same thing with mentioning Todd Graham.

Everybody has an angle on this type of deal. They have to spend money to cover this story so they throw garbage out like that so every Bixby fan will click. It’s a lot more clicks than the Barry Lunney fan club. Same thing with mentioning Todd Graham.
I'm surprised they didn't bring owasso along for the ride.

• Haha
Reactions: HuffyCane
There have been some good HS coaches who eventually became FBS head coaches, but in almost every case, they are a college assistant coach for a few years before becoming a head coach.

For example, Bill Blankenship actually resigned from Union in 2005, after a great HS coaching career. He then was hired at TU in 2007 & was an assistant for 4 seasons, before being elevated to head coach starting in the 2011 season.

It really is ignorant and condescending to think TU would hire a head coach straight out of a local high school. It shows a total lack of understanding of the ONLY FBS football program in the metro area they are supposed to be covering.

Maybe it’s time the Tulsa sports journalists start attending college football games in Tulsa.
Malzahn was a HS coach who was hired to be the OC at Arkansas. He was hired mostly because Arkansas wanted the Springdale 4 to go there. He then came here and lit it up before being hired at Auburn. I believe his 1st HC gig was Arkansas State for 1 yr before Auburn brought him back to replace Chizik who was fired for all sorts of violations. But again, it is exceedingly rare for a HS coach to go straight into a HC role in D1 with no college coaching experience. Now am I opposed to whoever gets the HC job bringing Montgomery in the be a position coach or even an Oklahoma recruiting coordinator? No. That'd be fine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT