ADVERTISEMENT

TU Coaching Candidates

Whether he stays at TCU or goes someplace else in whatever capacity, if TCU makes the playoff, he will be making nearly twice would TU would pay a HC and will be doing it at a school that didn't stupidly publish cutting salaries and allowed faculty to get traction publicly talking about dropping football.

I dont think TU is going to make a coaching change, but if they do, hiring someone with an offset or a very young unproven coach like GJ at a price far below what he thinks he is worth is probably what's in store for TU. Not because TU doesn't have the money, but because TU wants to spend on things with a better return on investment than a dud football coach or Frank Haith, if they spend money on coaches at all. There not only needs to be a pragmatic case for firing PM, but also a pragmatic case for hiring the replacement.

Whether he stays at TCU or goes someplace else in whatever capacity, if TCU makes the playoff, he will be making nearly twice would TU would pay a HC and will be doing it at a school that didn't stupidly publish cutting salaries and allowed faculty to get traction publicly talking about dropping football.

I dont think TU is going to make a coaching change, but if they do, hiring someone with an offset or a very young unproven coach like GJ at a price far below what he thinks he is worth is probably what's in store for TU. Not because TU doesn't have the money, but because TU wants to spend on things with a better return on investment than a dud football coach or Frank Haith, if they spend money on coaches at all. There not only needs to be a pragmatic case for firing PM, but also a pragmatic case for hiring the replacement.
If TU doesn't make a change, then everything they did to make the fan experience better will be wasted. If you don't have a winner or an exciting team then for 90% of the fans, it doesn't matter what happens before or after the game...and you can forget about cultivating new fans. It's too easy for Okies with no affiliation to any school to back OU or OSU.

Even for me die hard alum who rarely missed a home game prior to COVID, who went to TU basketball games (men and women) and goes to other games on campus (softball and soccer), there's not enough for me to go back to a football game when all the product on the field does is piss me off and elevate my blood pressure. My kids have been brought up on TU...they don't root or care for OU or OSU but I can't convince them to go to a game right now either.

Question … what case would there possibly be for keeping Phillip Montgomery? Playing bad - mediocre football and constantly embarrassing the university by allowing players to act like thugs on the field while having terrible crowds because people don’t want to watch bad football does not sound like a smart investment to me

If TU doesn't make a change, then everything they did to make the fan experience better will be wasted. If you don't have a winner or an exciting team then for 90% of the fans, it doesn't matter what happens before or after the game...and you can forget about cultivating new fans. It's too easy for Okies with no affiliation to any school to back OU or OSU.

Even for me die hard alum who rarely missed a home game prior to COVID, who went to TU basketball games (men and women) and goes to other games on campus (softball and soccer), there's not enough for me to go back to a football game when all the product on the field does is piss me off and elevate my blood pressure. My kids have been brought up on TU...they don't root or care for OU or OSU but I can't convince them to go to a game right now either.
Iv been a fan as long as I can remember , even going to away games , and I’m not going to another football game until we start playing winning football. As I have stated before , WE CANNOT AFFORD TO BE AVERAGE OR BAD. We have to put a product on the field that will draw people here . I’m not saying we have to be Bama, but we should be in the top 25 or conversation for it most years

Iv been a fan as long as I can remember , even going to away games , and I’m not going to another football game until we start playing winning football. As I have stated before , WE CANNOT AFFORD TO BE AVERAGE OR BAD. We have to put a product on the field that will draw people here . I’m not saying we have to be Bama, but we should be in the top 25 or conversation for it most years
A bowl game every year should be the goal...not once every 4 years. We got super lucky to get to a bowl game last year and Monty sort of wasted the COVID year opportunity. Hell, we should have beaten Cincinnati and OSU in both years and somehow we lost those games because our coach can't manage a game.

I've been to a good number of away games as well including Notre Dame which was a pinnacle trip for me. What a great place to see a game.

A bowl game every year should be the goal...not once every 4 years. We got super lucky to get to a bowl game last year and Monty sort of wasted the COVID year opportunity. Hell, we should have beaten Cincinnati and OSU in both years and somehow we lost those games because our coach can't manage a game.

I've been to a good number of away games as well including Notre Dame which was a pinnacle trip for me. What a great place to see a game.
Agreed, and our “ down years” need to be 4-6 wins , not 2 or 3, quite honestly we should be closer to being ranked most years rather then just limping into a bowl game imo, most years need to be 8-10 wins a year with an occasional down year where we only have that 4-6 win season

Reactions: TU_BLA
we should be closer to being ranked most years rather then just limping into a bowl game imo, most years need to be 8-10 wins a year with an occasional down year where we only have that 4-6 win season
That's not realistic with our budget, nor has it ever been. You can't point to a period in our history beyond one coaches regime, that achieved anything like that. And if you quote a time in the 60's or before, I'm talking modern day, in the last 50 years.

Don't get too fired up about what Huffy says. He's a little picture, inside the box thinker. That aligned him well with Janet who was possibly the littlest picture thinker ever and most university admins, who also are known for being very incremental and little picture. But I think Brad works at a whole different depth. That might not mean a change this year, I have no idea, but I think he sees a model of athletics and the university that's maybe not easy for everyone to get their heads around.

Don't get too fired up about what Huffy says. He's a little picture, inside the box thinker. That aligned him well with Janet who was possibly the littlest picture thinker ever and most university admins, who also are known for being very incremental and little picture. But I think Brad works at a whole different depth. That might not mean a change this year, I have no idea, but I think he sees a model of athletics and the university that's maybe not easy for everyone to get their heads around.
Huffy also has access to inside info and has always been real about what's going on.

Curious as to the monetary calculation the university uses to determine the overall financial benefit of a 8-4 season versus a 4-8 season.

Reactions: maverickfp
Huffy also has access to inside info and has always been real about what's going on.
Thank you for the kind words. I try to do my best to pass long the big picture long term trends at TU and give everyone an eye into how decisions are made, so they can draw their own conclusions. Im generally right because I only talk about stuff I know is fact. When I’m wrong about little stuff, (and that sometimes happens), or folks on here are given partially informed or partially true information, we can usually understand why that happened by looking at the process of TU/modern university decision making. This coaching change/retention is a good example of that. There’s plenty of good reasons for the change just by examining the issue solely from the standpoint of athletics. But TU is a fully integrated community with overlapping priorities. Looking at it solely as a question of did he lose, can we afford to fire him, can we afford not to fire him, doesn’t really apply in this situation.

Im sorry not sorry that clearly bothers people on here who don’t know what they are talking about but desperately wish other people would think they do.

Huffy has more inside sources than most all of us on here, however we also went through a very similar discussion last spring about Frank Haith. We all know how that turned out.

I would guess 95% of the posters on this board are hoping we have the same outcome in the next couple weeks.

That's not realistic with our budget, nor has it ever been. You can't point to a period in our history beyond one coaches regime, that achieved anything like that. And if you quote a time in the 60's or before, I'm talking modern day, in the last 50 years.
8-10 win seasons is very realistic, Steve , Todd, Bill all achieved that , even Monty did one season , im not saying we can’t have a down year every now and then , but 4-6 wins shouldn’t be the goal

Reactions: crow4435
8-10 win seasons is very realistic, Steve , Todd, Bill all achieved that , even Monty did one season , im not saying we can’t have a down year every now and then , but 4-6 wins shouldn’t be the goal
Bill didn't achieve that with his players. You are going by two good coaches in a row's accomplishments. That won't always be the case.

10 yr realistic
9-11w 2 seasons
6-8w 5 seasons
4-5w 2 seasons
3w(or less) 1 season

Ranked or close to ranked at least 4 seasons

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words. I try to do my best to pass long the big picture long term trends at TU and give everyone an eye into how decisions are made, so they can draw their own conclusions. Im generally right because I only talk about stuff I know is fact. When I’m wrong about little stuff, (and that sometimes happens), or folks on here are given partially informed or partially true information, we can usually understand why that happened by looking at the process of TU/modern university decision making. This coaching change/retention is a good example of that. There’s plenty of good reasons for the change just by examining the issue solely from the standpoint of athletics. But TU is a fully integrated community with overlapping priorities. Looking at it solely as a question of did he lose, can we afford to fire him, can we afford not to fire him, doesn’t really apply in this situation.

Im sorry not sorry that clearly bothers people on here who don’t know what they are talking about but desperately wish other people would think they do.
I don't know what I am talking about.

This board is a therapy session.

Reactions: HuffyCane

I’m not going to pretend I even know half of what you know about the university and always enjoy your input , I’m coming from a consumer standpoint as to why I think retaining a coach that has a poor record will not attract people to the games , and we have a disadvantage with ou and osu as far as attracting “ casual fans “ imo that’s why TU needs to strive for excel as much as possible . We need to put a product on the field that is going to make people want to come to the games

Huffy has more inside sources than most all of us on here, however we also went through a very similar discussion last spring about Frank Haith. We all know how that turned out.

I would guess 95% of the posters on this board are hoping we have the same outcome in the next couple weeks.

I can't believe I have to do this.....

Huffy is far more often wrong then right and while they may or may not have insights into the academic side (I'm not going to say inside info since they are almost always vague and mostly reflect academic management group think as chito pointed out) they have certainly not been accurate at predictions in athletics.

I will say Huffy seems to have good knowledge of events after they happen and the dynamics, but when it comes to being in the "know" about what is going to happen the record is very sparse.

Still waiting on some big announcements that were promised a couple years ago, the whole nonsense with Janet and the in faction fighting, Haith, etc.

I can affirm that both current and former recent players are concerned that Monty may be fired, what that actually means IDK. But two current players and three who have played there in the last two or three think it a very real possibility.

Anyone suggesting Bronco might want to wait till the info about this shooting all comes out. It is beginning to look like a retaliation shooting by a former walk on who was hazed and had the university cover it up. The players were targeted and were on the team in the same period.

Let's not get stuck with another hot potato who know one will want because of past issues. Bronco also had some issues while at BYU.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I can't believe I have to do this.....

Huffy is far more often wrong then right and while they may or may not have insights into the academic side (I'm not going to say inside info since they are almost always vague and mostly reflect academic management group think as chito pointed out) they have certainly not been accurate at predictions in athletics.

I will say Huffy seems to have good knowledge of events after they happen and the dynamics, but when it comes to being in the "know" about what is going to happen the record is very sparse.

Still waiting on some big announcements that were promised a couple years ago, the whole nonsense with Janet and the in faction fighting, Haith, etc.

I can affirm that both current and former recent players are concerned that Monty may be fired, what that actually means IDK. But two current players and three who have played there in the last two or three think it a very real possibility.
And then to top it all off, you(who just bitched about it with your Huffy spat continuation) drop some vagueries from 'former and present players' that say nothing about whether or not Monty gets fired.

Go crawl back in your hole, the 1 or 2 comments about you since you've been gone haven't been fond remembrances.

It's been said many times: it will either happen when the season's over or it won't. In either event, the speculation will happily end in a week (for a few months..... maybe). My guess is that he is gone.

I’m concerned that with every TCU win, Gillespie may be pricing himself out of our range.

If you want to watch some interesting stuff, search Brennan Marion GoGo offense on YouTube. Lots of videos on there. Very exciting to watch. Milkman clearly has an incredible offensive mind. His offense is very hard to prepare for, because it’s so out of the norm. I think of the HUNH when Gus was our OC. It was different. Now pretty much everyone is running the HUNH, so defenses practice against it.

But the situation at TU is while we can recruit well, we will not be head and shoulders above our opponents from a talent perspective. Which makes finding a unique advantage important. The GoGo may be it.
Sounds like you’re his agent.

Hiring Marion would be purely on speculation. If we do that, we had better be okay with the fact that the program would be at a higher risk of a long term decline. High Risk, High Reward.

I’m risk averse. Gillespie (or someone like if We can’t afford him) would be lower risk, but might have a lower ceiling in terms of long term benefit (if he was good he would leave, if he was bad, he would be unlikely to be very bad)

Last edited:
Last time we hired an offensive rock star who was once an assistant in Tulsa's conference, has no NFL experience, from a football rich state, but a program that has not produced a large coaching tree. If we want to turn this program around, we obviously need to do a 180. We need someone someone who is not known for offense, has never coached in Tulsa's conference, has been in the NFL, from a state not known to produce an excess of D1 recruits, but from a program with a large coaching tree.

Brian Ferentz.

Boom. Search over. I'll take whatever the usual search fee is, have your people call my people, etc.

And then to top it all off, you(who just bitched about it with your Huffy spat continuation) drop some vagueries from 'former and present players' that say nothing about whether or not Monty gets fired.

Go crawl back in your hole, the 1 or 2 comments about you since you've been gone haven't been fond remembrances.
You have such an elegant way of dealing with people who have differing viewpoints than you. Why bother with reason and logic when you can just bully people into agreeing with you? Keep it up it will just be you and a few others left in your own echo chamber of absurdity.

Last time we hired an offensive rock star who was once an assistant in Tulsa's conference, has no NFL experience, from a football rich state, but a program that has not produced a large coaching tree. If we want to turn this program around, we obviously need to do a 180. We need someone someone who is not known for offense, has never coached in Tulsa's conference, has been in the NFL, from a state not known to produce an excess of D1 recruits, but from a program with a large coaching tree.

Brian Ferentz.

Boom. Search over. I'll take whatever the usual search fee is, have your people call my people, etc.
People in Iowa will pay to move him, thats for sure.

Reactions: TulsaAM
You have such an elegant way of dealing with people who have differing viewpoints than you. Why bother with reason and logic when you can just bully people into agreeing with you? Keep it up it will just be you and a few others left in your own echo chamber of absurdity.
He's a douche who can't spell and plays with himself too much when his boyfriends up their prices on him. Vagueries?

• Love
Reactions: Gmoney4WW
No idea on Monty but I know for sure at least one assistant is concerned they will be looking for work

Reactions: TulsaAM
Guys, it’s been in the works for years. Graham is coming back and we are bringing back the Michelin man with jaundice Captain Cane. That’s why it was thrown in the pool years ago. It’s Zombie Cane. Bower will come back and assume his rightful spot as quarterback.

Last edited:
Guys, it’s been in the world for year. Graham is coming back and we are bringing back the Michelin man with jaundice Captain Cane. That’s why it was thrown in the pool years ago. It’s Zombie Cane. Bower will come back and assume his rightful spot as quarterback.
Then to go full circle, Graham leaves again with his trophy case still empty and Blank comes out of retirement to actually win something with the players left behind.

From ESPN today:

Tulsa: There has been an expectation among industry sources that the Tulsa job will open, but the school's true financial flexibility remains a factor. Tulsa ended its three-game losing streak by beating South Florida on Friday, but at 4-7 will not be going bowling. If the school moves on from Philip Montgomery, it should have a solid candidate pool with Fuente and others.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT