ADVERTISEMENT

TU Coaching Candidates

I would be okay with hiring a young HC from FCS or D2 (see Kansas via Buffalo via Wisconsin Whitewater). If we go this route offer a base salary between 20% and 40% more than their current package and load it with nice back end performance bonuses for AAC Championships, 9 win seasons, Bowl appearance and Bowl wins. Put a really big carrot if they make the new playoff format. Small bonuses for graduation rates and community involvement. Let the bonuses have the potential to be extremely lucrative. Also reduce bonuses or base pay if the team has negative issues (team GPA and graduation rates, penalties in the top half of the country, player fights resulting in unsportsmanlike like penalty, etc…). Reward positive behaviors that are important and make sure they understand the down side for negative behaviors that reflect poorly on the university.

Last edited:
Follow the hiring plan that led to Konkol — someone with a connection to TU that understands what is possible here and gets the challenges. Is willing to engage with the community and most importantly doesn’t look like he’s popping a squat to poop during games (Haith and Monty do this all the time).

Follow the hiring plan that led to Konkol — someone with a connection to TU that understands what is possible here and gets the challenges. Is willing to engage with the community and most importantly doesn’t look like he’s popping a squat to poop during games (Haith and Monty do this all the time).
Haith did it a little better than Monty. Even when Haith rarely celebrated, he looked like he was popping a squat.

Uuuggggghhh! :haith3::haith::haith2:

Two words……Prime Time!
My opinion of Prime Time has shifted in the past few months. Hard not to at least respect the guy when you listen to him talk to his players about life and doing the right thing. His talk to them after Takeoff was murdered was on point imo. He will have a D1 job if he wants it next season.

Reactions: TU 1978
Prime will stay at JS until his son the QB can enter the draft. I think the older son graduates this year. He has changed JS for the better and HBCUs as a whole. Pretty amazing stuff for sure.

Reactions: TulsaAM
Bob Stoops
You say this but someone connected to TU should at least ask the question. I don't think he's done coaching but I do think he doesn't want to do it at a place like OU any longer with the insane expectations and unrealistic national championship every season.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I don’t know what this means.
Takeoff was a rapper who was shot and killed in Houston last week. Jackson state was headed to play in Houston. Told his players they have to leave their past behind. Not part of them anymore. Talked about doing the right thing. Being around good people. Being role models for their communities. Etc….

Reactions: TULSARISING
You say this but someone connected to TU should at least ask the question. I don't think he's done coaching but I do think he doesn't want to do it at a place like OU any longer with the insane expectations and unrealistic national championship every season.
He’s coaching in the XFL for the 2023 season but no idea what contracts are like for HCs in the league.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
If TU wants to consider coaches from The Word, they should look at Eric Morris, current OC at Washington State. He was the head coach at The Word for the 4 years preceding the arrival of GJ. He recruited Cam Ward to The Word as a QB and he ended up being the best QB in FCS as a freshman. Cam is now the starting QB at Washington State, but he will go wherever Eric gets hired.

If TU gets Eric and Cam in a package deal, they end up with the best starting QB in Oklahoma next fall and a really solid young HC with a really exciting offense who has proven he can recruit the heck out of Texas (recruited and coached Patrick Mahomes while OC at Texas Tech). If TU doesn't take Eric, Texas State will. Would hate to lose out on a head coach and QB of this quality to the likes of Texas State.

If TU wants to consider coaches from The Word, they should look at Eric Morris, current OC at Washington State. He was the head coach at The Word for the 4 years preceding the arrival of GJ. He recruited Cam Ward to The Word as a QB and he ended up being the best QB in FCS as a freshman. Cam is now the starting QB at Washington State, but he will go wherever Eric gets hired.

If TU gets Eric and Cam in a package deal, they end up with the best starting QB in Oklahoma next fall and a really solid young HC with a really exciting offense who has proven he can recruit the heck out of Texas (recruited and coached Patrick Mahomes while OC at Texas Tech). If TU doesn't take Eric, Texas State will. Would hate to lose out on a head coach and QB of this quality to the likes of Texas State.
Marketing much?

• Haha
Reactions: HuffyCane
Joe Gillespie making his case for a HC job tonight.
TCU went from noncontender to contender for the national championship. They probably won't win it, but they'll be in the game.

The reason is Gillespie.

That's a helluva good tryout. It might already be too late, but it will definitely be too late next year.

Reactions: quincy101
Gillespie would be my clear pick, Marion could hopefully be brought on as OC. Getting Nick Graham back home for a shot at co-DC with Joe would be worth a look, too.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Gillespie would be my clear pick, Marion could hopefully be brought on as OC. Getting Nick Graham back home for a shot at co-DC with Joe would be worth a look, too.
Would hope he's not as obstinate as Monty about not using anything besides his tree, as a place to pick assistant candidates from.

Almost three scoreless quarters.
Not only that, TCU's defense just thoroughly befuddle Ewers and they did a really good job at completely shutting down Bijan Robinson (29 yds). And remember, only 3 pts came against TCU's defense. The lone Texas TD was a scoop and score after the TCU QB inexplicably just dropped the ball in the backfield. I mean the TV announcers were talking like it was all but over for Texas b/c they couldn't really stop TCU from running the ball late nor could they sustain a drive on offense at all. I don't think anyone is claiming TCU is over-rated anymore. I think their D can stop just about anyone. The bigger question will be can they score enough points to win games.

Reactions: drboobay
Not only that, TCU's defense just thoroughly befuddle Ewers and they did a really good job at completely shutting down Bijan Robinson (29 yds). And remember, only 3 pts came against TCU's defense. The lone Texas TD was a scoop and score after the TCU QB inexplicably just dropped the ball in the backfield. I mean the TV announcers were talking like it was all but over for Texas b/c they couldn't really stop TCU from running the ball late nor could they sustain a drive on offense at all. I don't think anyone is claiming TCU is over-rated anymore. I think their D can stop just about anyone. The bigger question will be can they score enough points to win games.
I think they will appear overrated when they go play at the big boys table.(Georgia, Tennessee, OSU) They will be the weak link at that table. Other than that, they can play with anybody.

I think they will appear overrated when they go play at the big boys table.(Georgia, Tennessee, OSU) They will be the weak link at that table. Other than that, they can play with anybody.
Maybe. I don't think they can score on Georgia. I think they can absolutely stop both Tennessee and Ohio State from scoring. Georgia is a different beast this year and just a cut above everyone else.

Reactions: OKTornadoes
He befuddled lots of offenses when he was here.

Maybe. I don't think they can score on Georgia. I think they can absolutely stop both Tennessee and Ohio State from scoring. Georgia is a different beast this year and just a cut above everyone else.
thats why the game is played

I’m concerned that with every TCU win, Gillespie may be pricing himself out of our range.

If you want to watch some interesting stuff, search Brennan Marion GoGo offense on YouTube. Lots of videos on there. Very exciting to watch. Milkman clearly has an incredible offensive mind. His offense is very hard to prepare for, because it’s so out of the norm. I think of the HUNH when Gus was our OC. It was different. Now pretty much everyone is running the HUNH, so defenses practice against it.

But the situation at TU is while we can recruit well, we will not be head and shoulders above our opponents from a talent perspective. Which makes finding a unique advantage important. The GoGo may be it.

I think G can now get a p5 high job and we cannot afford it interest him
I can hope

Reactions: TulsaAM
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT