ADVERTISEMENT

TU Coaching Candidates

Twitter has several morons going on about how TU made the wrong decision and how TU isn’t a good coaching job blah blah blah. I didn’t realize there were so many haters out there.
people dont realize that programs like ou, texas, alabama, ohio st, . . probably have an athletic budget 10 times Tulsa's.

Malzahn was a HS coach who was hired to be the OC at Arkansas. He was hired mostly because Arkansas wanted the Springdale 4 to go there.
Gus was an innovator of the highest order. He literally wrote the book on the HUNH, changing football everywhere. He was much more than his good teams at Springdale.

at least get a highschool coach from texas, allen, southlake, katy, ... who has connections for recruiting.
Why take a step down?..Coaches from those schools have better facilities than we do...

Maybe. It was a serious question.
Serious answer... many of those stadiums, weight facilities, indoor facilities, video boards, video facilities, etc are better, so salaries may be too... HS football in big Texas districts is big business...

Serious answer... many of those stadiums, weight facilities, indoor facilities, video boards, video facilities, etc are better, so salaries may be too... HS football in big Texas districts is big business...
The highest paid coach in Texas makes around $160,000 roughly the going rate for while. Which isn’t much for a 24/7/365 job plus teaching full time. Now the facilities, where there’s a tax base … oh boy. TU and the rest of the privates can only dream.

The highest paid coach in Texas makes around $160,000 roughly the going rate for while. Which isn’t much for a 24/7/365 job plus teaching full time. Now the facilities, where there’s a tax base … oh boy. TU and the rest of the privates can only dream.
Does that include money made on the side?

I mean, technically, Brent Venables is only paid $330k by thr state of oklahoma..wink wink..

Does that include money made on the side?

I mean, technically, Brent Venables is only paid $330k by thr state of oklahoma..wink wink..
I suppose most of these guys are investing some money on the side, but for the most part that’s what they make. Todd Dodge has been pretty up front about that. Imagine being Hank Carter you win 3 championships in 10 years and coach up a Heisman QB and never get a raise. It’s a weird flatline. There are more than 200 coaches that clear $100,000 and none over $160,000. The average teacher makes $60,000. So most of these guys are only getting paid $40,000 to give up their life for football.

Owasso is all excited about getting another crack at Bixby after taking down Union. Any distraction that can be thrown toward L Montgomery is fine with me.
Haha. After the 1st half, Owasso couldn't do much against Union and Bixby's defense, IMO, is better and faster. Union's biggest problem the last 4-5 games of the season was a complete inability to get the ball carrier on the ground at the point of contact. All their tackles were up high on the arms and the chest allowing the ball carrier to keep churning their legs. It was frustrating to watch. And Union's offensive line was terrible.

Unfortunately for Owasso, the Bixby loss to Jenks a couple weeks back awoke the sleeping giant. They played with extreme focus on Friday. And Jenks is a more multi dimensional offense than what Owasso showed against Union. The passing game was pretty much absent for Owasso outside a couple of plays. Heck, they struggled to run the ball with the tailback between the tackles. I think Bixby is able to keep Willingham in the pocket. I expect a closer game than the season opener but I still think Bixby wins comfortably, 35-14.

Gus was an innovator of the highest order. He literally wrote the book on the HUNH, changing football everywhere. He was much more than his good teams at Springdale.
I get it...but his break into the college football coaching ranks had almost zero to do with his innovation on the offensive side of the football and everything to do with the 4 players Arkansas wanted him to deliver on signing day. And a lot of HS coaches get their break that way in a lot of different sports. Morris was an exception because Graham had to ask Malzahn for a recommendation on a new OC and Morris was it.

Depends on how the state allows the districts to spend money. I know in OK, money raised through bond issues cannot be used to pay personnel costs (teacher salaries). It can only be used for physical goods/upgrades like computers, books, buses, & buildings. People always bitch when they see the athletic facilities at the HS around Tulsa because they assume all the money is being thrown there vs at academic things. Union's football stadium renovation/rebuild was part of a much bigger bond package that also started their journey to every student in the district having a device (computer or tablet) to assist in the learning process. Union is constantly doing additional building projects, renovations, etc. in all of its facilities. The west side schools bitch about the Tulsa area big high schools not splitting, but I can tell you from personal experience that my son has every advantage going to Union on the academic side, isn't in ginormous or over stuffed classes, and has a wide variety of extra curricular opportunities in a number of different interests and areas outside of athletics. BA, Jenks, and Bixby are similar (according to parents who have kids there). Bixby is building a brand new HS and a new football stadium from their latest bond issue. So the question is, why should districts split their HS up if they can provide the same quality of education and experience as the smaller HS. In many ways, a new HS in Union and splitting them would actually be detrimental to the experience because it would almost eliminate the diversity in the new school.

If Texas can use their bond money towards salaries, that might be the reason why they can pay their coaches more.

I get it...but his break into the college football coaching ranks had almost zero to do with his innovation on the offensive side of the football and everything to do with the 4 players Arkansas wanted him to deliver on signing day. And a lot of HS coaches get their break that way in a lot of different sports. Morris was an exception because Graham had to ask Malzahn for a recommendation on a new OC and Morris was it.
Yeah, from what I recall they never let him utilize his offensive skills fully, cuz they thought his scheme was too gimmicky. Houston Nutt wouldn't give him a hall pass. He was happy to come here and spread his wings.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Yeah, from what I recall they never let him utilize his offensive skills fully, cuz they thought his scheme was too gimmicky. Houston Nutt wouldn't give him a hall pass. He was happy to come here and spread his wings.
It was a money deal. A booster wanted Gus added to the staff to get the players and Nutt didn’t. He got rid of him as soon as the players became too much of a distraction.

Sources are saying Tulsa's billionaires are amassing a package deal to bring in a major Power 5 coach. They're fed up with this small-time stuff. QT is also partnering to provide big NIL deals to players. To make this happen TU has agreed that the new mascot will be a giant slushy cup filled with yellow ice.

still better than the most recent version of captain cane… by far.
No kidding. My son played Cappy a few times and was never given any sort of instructions on how to perform. They just told him to pull the sword whenever we scored.

I found myself spending half my time pointing out kids that wanted to meet him because he couldn’t see them out of the mask.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
They struggled at the end to find kids that would do it because the suit smelled so bad and so many people had sweat in it. It was a volunteer thing. They need to half scholarship the next one to a kid that needs the money and a kick in the pants.

Reactions: TU 1978
Allow me to point out that maybe a significant portion of our players, both men and women, aren’t really interested in playing for a logo of an old white man in a yellow rain jacket.

Allow me to point out that maybe a significant portion of our players, both men and women, aren’t really interested in playing for a logo of an old white man in a yellow rain jacket.
No, I'm talking about modeling something off of this cat. Maybe a bit younger.
e0bfa757-7513-4292-9a5a-559017e43d08-STEVE3.jpg

They struggled at the end to find kids that would do it because the suit smelled so bad and so many people had sweat in it. It was a volunteer thing. They need to half scholarship the next one to a kid that needs the money and a kick in the pants.
And invest in a few bottles of fabreze, with instructions to spray after every game.

They used to give some scholarship money, maybe 1/2 what the cheerleaders got. I had an RA in Twin who had a partial scholarship for track and then he supplemented it by being Captain Cane 1/2 the time (there were 2 people who did it back then). This was the giant corkscrew looking Captain Cane though not the radioactive mutant

Reactions: Cane1963
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT