ADVERTISEMENT

TU at NIU Game Thread

No all passes are created equal. I don't even mind run plays.... just make it a run to the outside. Do a WR screen or something. There are about 1 million options besides run up the middle + run up the middle.
IDK, success rate on 2 pt conversions is just over 40% so with an 8 point lead, even if you give up a TD, you've got better than even odds of winning, probably better in this game where our D has shut them down. I guess KW decided he didn't want to take any risk of losing that opportunity and I can't say I disagree with him. I bet if you did the analytics, it results in a higher probability of winning but I don't know that.

We have to do a better job of sealing the game but it's still nice to come out with a W. Have to score to make it a two possession game. Have to get that first down to run out the clock. The huge opportunities we missed on.

Good to end my away game 3 game losing streak ! Monty would have lost this game , KW needs to get his players in then it will be better to judge him , as for today though …. THATS A GOLDEN HURRICANE WIN!!

2 pt conversion rate is around 41%. In this case, Tulsa is deciding whether they go for 2 or NIU goes for 2. Less than 50%, you make NIU go for 2.

That assumes you know the future and know that we will end up kicking a FG. In the moment, you’re weighing the value of a 6-point lead vs a 5-point lead against the risk of a 4-point lead. Only need to convert ~15% of the time to make going for 2 the right call.

6 vs 5 is a huge advantage. For one, their kicker had already missed from extra point range, so it’s no guarantee that a TD = 7 for them. And the other scenario we saw play out is that our own FG only made it 8 instead of 9.
Also, given how our D played, the risk we're insuring against is less that they get a TD and more that they luck into a couple short fields (not hard to imagine with our TOs) and get 2 FGs.

Good to end my away game 3 game losing streak ! Monty would have lost this game , KW needs to get his players in then it will be better to judge him , as for today though …. THATS A GOLDEN HURRICANE WIN!!
Nice win! I hope you had a good trip Rising. Now let’s get ready for the next one.

Reactions: TULSARISING
Do you not think we can go at least 4-4 in conference play?
No, I do not. Rice, SMU, and Tulane are better teams. Temple and UNT are toss ups and we never play well at ECU. Fortunately, we have most of the weakest teams in conference, but we are one of the weakest teams in the conference.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
No, I do not. Rice, SMU, and Tulane are better teams. Temple and UNT are toss ups and we never play well at ECU. Fortunately, we have most of the weakest teams in conference, but we are one of the weakest teams in the conference.
A new QB could make a difference on that side. Or maturation of the young guy.

A new QB could make a difference on that side. Or maturation of the young guy.
David Brinn would have made a difference in my opinion, but that is not a guarantee he would have done better than what we have gotten so far. Williams will be better by the end of the year for sure, but will it be enough? Tulsa hasn't had a good dual threat QB is quite some time. If you consider G.J. dual threat maybe, but really it goes back to James Killian or Steve Gage in my mind.

Reactions: crow4435
David Brinn would have made a difference in my opinion, but that is not a guarantee he would have done better than what we have gotten so far. Williams will be better by the end of the year for sure, but will it be enough? Tulsa hasn't had a good dual threat QB is quite some time. If you consider G.J. dual threat maybe, but really it goes back to James Killian or Steve Gage in my mind.
Everyone was high on Braxton end of last season. He has played like 5 plays thus year. Why give up on him?

Our conference sucks this year, and that's the only reason we have a shot at a bowl. The only absolute losses on our schedule are Tulane and SMU. Unless we get improved QB play 6 games will be competitive and we will get anywhere from 2 to 4 wins out of those. The chances of us going 4-8 or 5-7 are just as good as 6-6. I think we go 5-7 unless the QB improves.

Brin isn't exactly setting the world on fire at Georgia Southern. I think our defense looked good, maybe once Braxton is back we get the version that beat Whostun for Monty's final game.

Brin isn't exactly setting the world on fire at Georgia Southern. I think our defense looked good, maybe once Braxton is back we get the version that beat Whostun for Monty's final game.
?
They are averaging 34 pts per game, he's averaging 322 yds per game, and he's 3-1. That's pretty damned impressive for Georgia St as of late. I'd say he's doing fine. Just because he was forced into 5 interceptions by a tough Wisconsin defense doesn't mean he isn't doing well. He had 385 yds against them and they only lost 35-14 with 5 turnovers. That's a pretty good stat line w/ 5 turnovers. What do you expect him to do with Georgia So as the team he's doing that with?

Last edited:
I was pretty up in the air that Wilson took Braxton over Brin.(not necessarily thru choice, granted) I would have been alright if we had kept Brin instead of Braxton. Let's hope we made the right move on that. Lately it's not looking like we did. But everything could change on a dime if he get's healthy and performs well against the six weaker foes on our conference schedule.

Reactions: TulsaAM
I think Charlotte is the only game on the schedule who is as weak as No Illinois. That's why 2 wins from here on out is possible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT