ADVERTISEMENT

TU @ #1 Stanford

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
TU men's soccer just beat #1 Stanford 2-0 in Paulo Alto. These type of Jekyll & Hyde efforts have to be driving Tom crazy. Lose 2-1 last week to Mo State, have to comeback and go to OT to defeat Santa Clara, yet keep a clean sheet and defeat the #1 team in the nation tonight.

Both of TU's goals came via PKs, one for a take down in the box and one for a hand ball in the box.

I was at the Wisconsin game...or was it Minnesota.....ugh can't remember. We had that game won as well then let them come back and tie it 2-2. Was very frustrating to watch. I believe they were ranked #22 so it was another ranked team we could have knocked off and instead we folded a little and let them back in game.

I was at the Wisconsin game...or was it Minnesota.....ugh can't remember. We had that game won as well then let them come back and tie it 2-2. Was very frustrating to watch. I believe they were ranked #22 so it was another ranked team we could have knocked off and instead we folded a little and let them back in game.

BTW TU men are now ranked at #20 in the soccer coaches poll.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
Not sure what happened to TU this season or why they couldn't put together full 90 minute efforts game to game, but TU beat the eventual national champion 2-0, and they also beat SMU which made a nice run in the NCAA tournament. It's this type of uneven effort that has to be driving Tom nuts.

Odd year. We finish 6th out of 8 in the conference, have a losing record, but manage to beat Stanford and SMU.

Odd year. We finish 6th out of 8 in the conference, have a losing record, but manage to beat Stanford and SMU.
And there were 4-5 more games where TU held a lead until VERY late (post 80th minute) only to concede an equalizer and then another to lose the game. TU was probably as close to finishing 2nd or 3rd in the conference as it was to 6th, and a record that may have had it ranked late in the season as to looking like a team that couldn't compete.

From what I could tell, TU was very susceptible to set pieces in their defensive 3rd. They have struggled in that regard since Bradley Bourgeouis left a few years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT