ADVERTISEMENT

Cross Country Nationals

Bill Lowery

ITS Recruiting Analyst
Staff
Sep 29, 2001
Maybe I missed it but I don’t recall a post on the national championship. Not bad but I really expected a higher finish.

We’ve been consistently good but I was hoping for a shot at the national title. Still, the guys are giving the university some great publicity and have become one of the top cross country teams over the past year. I expect we’ll be right there again in the years to come. Congratulations to Coach Gulley and the guys.

STILLWATER, Okla. –– Cormac Dalton and Shay McEvoyearned All-America honors as the No. 5 University of Tulsa men's cross-country team finished ninth on the Greiner Family Cross Country Course at the Division I NCAA Championships Saturday morning.

"We're leaving Stillwater slightly disappointed with our performance," coach Taylor Gulley said. "But it speaks volumes about the growth of this program when ninth place at the National Championships is seen as a frustrating result. We didn't get out great and couldn't move through the field like we had planned.

"I know this team has done everything possible to prepare for today, and unfortunately we just didn't have our best race today."

Chloe Hershenow placed 135th as an individual in the women's championship, traversing the 6k course in 20:49.6. NC State swept the individual and team title. Katelyn Tuohy made a late push to close the gap on Florida's Parker Valby and win the race, while NC State edged out New Mexico 114-140.

"It's very hard for kids to have a great race in the NCAA Championship when it's their first trip, but Chloe did a great job," coach Steve Gulley said. "On top of that, it's difficult to run as an individual. We are such a team-oriented program and she's not a selfish individual. I think she would've preferred to have her team there with her. But overall, she ran a great race, and we are proud of her."

In the men's race, Dalton navigated the 10k course in 29:16.0 to capture 15th, while McEvoy finished 23rd in 29:25.7, each solidifying All-America status. They're the 13th and 14th All-Americans in the history of the men's program.

"Cormac and Shay timed things perfectly and really moved through the field exceptionally well," Taylor Gulleysaid. "Incredibly impressive running from those two. It arguably might have been the toughest year to place top 40, and those two ran phenomenal races to do so."

Isaac Akers narrowly missed out on All-America himself, placing 44th in the race, finishing in 29:40.4. Micheal Power placed 61st with a 10k time of 29:51.3 and Malte Propp (31:04.9) came in 202nd to round out the top five for Tulsa.

Luke Lambert (31:29.8) and Max Nores (31:56.0) placed 223rd and 236th respectively. Tulsa finished with 304 team points.

The top time and individual title belonged to Charles Hicks of Stanford, who ran a blistering 28:43.6 race. But it was Northern Arizona who completed the three-peat, winning its sixth title in seven years. It was as close a finish as you can get as, for the second race in a row, Oklahoma State tied in points, 83, for the top spot, but lost on the tiebreaker and had to settle for second.

BYU, the team who broke up Northern Arizona's two threepeats, placed third. Stanford entered the race as the top-ranked team but settled for fourth, while Wake Forest rounded out the top five. Wisconsin, Air Force and Colorado were the next three in front of the Hurricane, with North Carolina taking 10th.

Top 10 Team Results
Men's 10k – NCAA Championships

1. Northern Arizona – 83 points*
2. Oklahoma State – 83 points
3. BYU – 132 points
4. Stanford – 195 points
5. Wake Forest – 204 points
6. Wisconsin – 212 points
7. Air Force – 264 points
8. Colorado – 281 points
9. Tulsa – 304 points
10. North Carolina – 323 points