ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Waiver

It's not out of the question that KES has received his waiver and no one at TU cares enough to announce it.

It's not out of the question that KES has received his waiver and no one at TU cares enough to announce it.
It wouldn't surprise me to hear that the admin is that ignorant about how important public perception of the roster is to both ticket sales and national rankings.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
About a week ago I went to TU to buy the basketball media guide and DT sold me the guide he said KES was turned down on the first one but that they had reapplied and they felt good about the second one

Like the time they just totally forgot to apply for a home soccer match in the first round of the NCAA tourney. Good job! We should never let that go. Biggest paperwork malfunction of all-time.

About a week ago I went to TU to buy the basketball media guide and DT sold me the guide he said KES was turned down on the first one but that they had reapplied and they felt good about the second one
Thanks for the headsup.

If we get denied I'll be fed up with the NCAA for the forseeable future. It seems like they can't make any common sense decisions and there is no regulatory certainty (consistency) for member institutions.

Very negative vibe. Still think it is related to how his application gets filed. Suspect we gave no idea how to defend the transfer.
Does anyone know how many waivers were denied this year?

Very negative vibe. Still think it is related to how his application gets filed. Suspect we gave no idea how to defend the transfer.
Does anyone know how many waivers were denied this year?
4 denied, 36 approved

Last edited:
Reactions: t-townpod
It is completely determined on how the athletic department completes and defends the waiver request. Some AD’s are just better at knowing how to document the application. With Gragg’s supposed specially in compliance he should be the very best. I would be very disappointed if he can’t come through for us after all those other AD’s have been successful.

Reactions: t-townpod
would grades or hours toward degree completion play into a decision?

would grades or hours toward degree completion play into a decision?
It shouldn't. If his grades and progress towards graduation weren't in line to make him eligible, he'd be sitting out anyway. The only thing TU should be focusing on with this waiver is the player decided to transfer because the coach he signed with and wanted to play for is no longer at his original school and he felt his chances for academic and athletic success were better suited for a new school and coach with whom he had developed a prior relationship during his recruiting process out of HS. (I'm not in compliance or one of the people writing these waivers, but these seem to be the things the NCAA is looking for...except in the case of the OL from VaTech). Seriously, the NCAA has approved so many waivers based on coaches leaving, this shouldn't be that hard to figure out. With that in mind, the kid from GaTech should apply for one as well since they're in trouble and on probation. He could simply appeal based on the fact he knew the coaches were up to no good and he felt it better to leave than get caught up in a program committing infractions and possibly going on probation (which they were put on).

If Justin Fields from Ohio State can get a waiver and be immediately eligible simply than almost every waiver should be approved. When you have a high profile kid like Fields get a waiver when EVERYONE knows the only reason he transferred was because he didn't beat Fromm for the starting QB job at Georgia, then what possible reason could the NCAA have for not approving everyone's waiver?

The biggest thing always seems to be, does the school your departing from acknowledge / support your waiver? With us playing Arkansas this season (for the first time in quite some time) maybe they're the hold up. It's bull:crap:e that Grimes got his waiver at Houston.

Reactions: TigerCane16
The biggest thing always seems to be, does the school your departing from acknowledge / support your waiver? With us playing Arkansas this season (for the first time in quite some time) maybe they're the hold up. It's bull:crap:e that Grimes got his waiver at Houston.
It shouldn't matter. The NCAA has been extremely lenient on the waivers ever since the Baker Mayfield fiasco went down with OU. That whole thing was ridiculous and the NCAA got hit hard in the media and by public opinion.

With that in mind, the kid from GaTech should apply for one as well since they're in trouble and on probation. He could simply appeal based on the fact he knew the coaches were up to no good and he felt it better to leave than get caught up in a program committing infractions and possibly going on probation (which they were put on).

That would be a smart aggressive move. Doesn't really match our coach or AD's personality though.

Personally the way they are handing out waivers, I put together my best case for every transfer and use every appeal. Worst thing that can happen is they get denied and the kid sits for a year, which you expected anyway.

Reactions: TU_BLA
That would be a smart aggressive move. Doesn't really match our coach or AD's personality though.

Personally the way they are handing out waivers, I put together my best case for every transfer and use every appeal. Worst thing that can happen is they get denied and the kid sits for a year, which you expected anyway.
The way I see it, if KES is denied his waiver and granted immediate eligibility, combined with the number of other flubs we've seen Gragg handle over the years on similar issues, Gragg's continued employment should immediately be questioned. We all know he is terrible at the things you expect from D1 ADs- new advertisers, new donors, building fan bases, etc....the PR stuff combined with his continued failure in getting immediate eligibility waivers for athletes at a time when the NCAA is handing them out like candy on Halloween, then what good is Gragg actually doing?

Not sure about others receiving waiver but one big issue has to do with the player moving closer to his home town. Does this have anything to do with the denial?

Not sure about others receiving waiver but one big issue has to do with the player moving closer to his home town. Does this have anything to do with the denial?
This is a myth. Justin Fields is from Georgia and transferred to Ohio State. No reasonable reason other than to get playing time after not winning the QB job at Georgia. The NCAA has been extremely lenient in transfers due to coaching changes at schools in the last 3-4 years since they don't have a good answer on why coaches get to move whenever they want and coach immediately yet players cannot. It's really a move to keep the "pay the players" movement a little less in the forefront.

Really, all of this crap and the associated storylines are pushed by ESPN shills.

Honestly that doesn't really matter anymore. Some of these kids are moving nowhere near their hometown. For example, Chris Barnes is going to EMU and he's from Cali and he got one.

Just can't figure out what his holdup is. Have a hard time believing our admin is that inept

I wouldn't be that surprised to see them approve/disapprove after the first game or two seeing as how we didn't get the first one through and had to send another waiver app.

Moving closer to home is still valid, but it is just one of the reasons you can cite in a waiver app. We should be able to get this considering he had to deal with a coaching change and moved closer to home.

This should be a black mark on Gragg's record if he doesn't get it approved in the end. But I don't have any feeling of security about the administration/president holding that against Gragg in their evaluation of his tenure.

How do we still have the ushers parking in the donor lot? How we do a lot of things like that?

As i said before, we need to look at Gragg and his compliance staff. They are TOTALLY inept. The staff did not file the paperwork required on time on several occasions. Gragg needs to be terminated immediately for his performance. The athletic department will not go anywhere until this guy leaves.

As i said before, we need to look at Gragg and his compliance staff.
Not only for this, but for the general direction that our athletic department has
taken under his "leadership"....

The problem, and he doesn't have the personality and/or the skill set to solve
it, is we have a bean counter in a chair that if handled properly, is mostly a
marketing position.....

GM tried that with Roger Smith, and he almost destroyed the company before
they could get him out of there....

Our donor base will never grow while he is AD.......In fact I would bet just the
opposite has occurred..

F the ncaa! Force the issue and just play KES regardless. What can they do about it?

F the ncaa! Force the issue and just play KES regardless. What can they do about it?
Um, force you to forfeit all of the games he participated in, forfeit NCAA tournament share money that comes through the league, post-season bans...force him to sit out games the following season equal to the number of games he participated in while ineligible.

Believe me...we're not Kansas or UNC or Arizona who pay players thousands of dollars of Nike's and adidas' money to get them to come to school there. We'll get the book thrown at us just so the NCAA can show it still has some teeth.

Correct me if I am wrong, KES is the only Arkansas player to be denied on his transfer.

Can we go ahead and fire the AD now?

Correct me if I am wrong, KES is the only Arkansas player to be denied on his transfer.

The other 2 were approved. 1 is going to Tulane and going to be a stud, the other transferred to UT-Arlington (and he's from Arlington, TX).

And our AD has Arkansas ties. It’s just nuts. I wouldn’t be so fast to blame him, other than there have been several years of general ineptitude. But hey, he hired Frank Haith away from Mizzou11111!

Reactions: TU4ever2
And our AD has Arkansas ties. It’s just nuts. I wouldn’t be so fast to blame him, other than there have been several years of general ineptitude. But hey, he hired Frank Haith away from Mizzou11111!

He also hired Montgomery....Some on the football board think the AD might have missed on that one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT