ADVERTISEMENT

Tonight at 6 & 8 NIT Murray St/O.D. and LTech/Temple

I.I.

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Should be some good games to watch. Will find out if Murray State just played their game of the year against TU and if O.D. tries anything different. Find out how Temple fares against Speedy Smith and Mike White.

Been watching Murray St and ODU. ODU #17 nationally in 3 point defense and it shows, MSU not hitting the 3's like they did against us.

I do think that Harrison would have picked the ODU defense apart with dribble drives.

Murray state is 4 for 15 tonight after going 14 for 25 against us. Figures....

We didn't guard the perimeter like ODU is doing tonight. Part of that high percentage is on us.

What a game! Exciting basketball! A bank 3 to win the game at the horn!

That kid Freeman was sitting out last year, he impressed me in this game playing hurt.

Deep threes. Step back three. Crazy shot threes. Yeah, the other team being unconscious from three-point range is definitely on the coaches.

cb

I agree with Bonham. Murray hit fade away 3s coming off screens against. Yes, some were open 3s, but they also hit guarded 3s. They stayed hot all game. Tonight they missed open 3s.

I'm with lawpoke on this. Tons of poor closeouts and wide open shots. When you let a team get comfortable and confident, yeah they'll hit some tough ones too.

No close outs on the three point shooters. Not just on that game but 5 of our losses were caused by that.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Good stuff where they talk about coaches needing a "low clock offense " if we go to 30 seconds next year.

Originally posted by cbonham:
Deep threes. Step back three. Crazy shot threes. Yeah, the other team being unconscious from three-point range is definitely on the coaches.

cb
Bonham is on the right side of this one. And if I'm saying that Bonham is right, you understand that has to mean something.

There is a lot of room to be critical of our performance, but those guys hit some killer shots against a defense that saw a lot of talented teams. There's not much you can do when they hit 14 3-pointers. And they didn't hit all those just because we allegedly were playing poor defense.

I hate to say it, but we needed to pull the plug on this season. We looked flat after the game at SMU, where we probably played our best game of the year.

No, you are on the wrong side of this one. You got a guy that hot, you cover him. Our help defense would allow him to be open. We stayed in a zone when we shouldn't. We could have played a junk defense like a box and one. You mess the guy up. You stay on him. You follow him to his huddle during timeouts.
If you watched what ODU did, they frustrated the MSU shooters. That's why they shot poorly. ODU didn't let them get in a rhythm. We did. If MSU hadn't had about 15 more free throw attempts than ODU, this game wouldn't have been close.

We did cover him. A lot. This staff did all it could with this team. And the issue is whether faux cb is on the right side.

This post was edited on 3/25 11:52 PM by Gold*

I'm with Henry on this one. We left the weak side corner open all night in the zone and they made us pay. They did an excellent job of rotating the ball or driving and dishing. We were also beat inside for about 5 wide open layups when they rotated their bigs from side to side and overloaded our low post when we were in the 3-2. Murray knew how to break a zone fairly easily. When we did go back to man, they would run their guards ( mostly #1) off a low double pick and were open everytime on the wing for shot or drive.
We never adjusted. My opinion is that a zone is played only when you are protecting a big in foul trouble or for short periods to change up the look. Late in the year we were using it for major portions of the games. The only team in America that has done that successfully has been St Johns (and everyone on those teams had 7' wing spans and no interest in school). Zone is also a terrible defense for defensive rebounds and Murray took advantage of that as well and their bigs were not that good.

Those issues are coaching philosophy and instruction. Thought we put in a lot of new defenses this year but weren't very good with most on technique. We got away with it against inferior teams because our guards were better than most we played.

We tried several different approaches. Sometimes you have to pick your poison. The defense we played was designed to limit Payne and Williams and Murray State had other players step up and beat us. The same strategy we employed was something that Morehead St and Belmont were pretty successful with during the OVC tournament and Murray State simply wasn't hitting the same open or contested shots as they did against us. We did the same thing against Cincinnati and took our chances with Cobb chucking up a ton of shots. He actually hit against us and didn't hit anything consistently after that game. Most teams would take their chances with forcing teams to take lower percentage outside shots if you could limit the easy buckets. South Florida did it to us, ECU did it to us. Those teams got nothing inside against us...

I am OK with this as 9 out of 10 its going to produce a positive result but if a team is hot, they're hot. Overall as a team our defense was good and sometimes great all year long. Our deficiency, much like the rest of the top teams in the AAC is on offense and hitting consistently.

Originally posted by Tulsafanzz:
I agree with Bonham. Murray hit fade away 3s coming off screens against. Yes, some were open 3s, but they also hit guarded 3s. They stayed hot all game. Tonight they missed open 3s.
I agree with both you and Bonham. Tulsa wasn't going to win that game nor would many other teams. Murray State's 14 threes was the best of the year. Murray State lives and dies by the three. They had several games with 11 threes one with 13 and of course our game with 14; however, they also had many games in which they only had 5 threes. So we caught them on a bad day for Tulsa.

To blame that on the coaches is ridiculous.

GO TU!!!

Oh ok. My bad. Such an unfortunate coincidence that in spite of us having equal or superior athletic talent in the backcourt, multiple teams luckily had career shooting nights, especially late in the season. Almost like they figured out our defense.
Sorry to be ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT