ADVERTISEMENT

Todd Graham ...

1991 So Miss was cold, but nothing compared to Seahawks at Chiefs in Arrowhead in November a couple of times in the mid 80’s. Sheets of ice for hours. Ran out of hot chocolate and coffee.

My Dad was stationed in Korea abd visited Chosin as the situation began to unravel. Though he didn’t fight or sacrifice there, he often said Arrowhead Stadium is the only place on the planet colder than Chosin.

I went to the Chiefs vs. Ravens playoff game the year Cassel was with the Chiefs (as Simmons says, the worse team to ever make the playoffs).

Anywho, the keg lines froze in the upper level. They would sell you liquor, but there wasn’t much to mix it with other than hot chocolate. I ordered that with Jack Daniels. The bartender looks at me weird, shrugs his shoulders, pours me about half a standard issue coffee cup of JD, and yells “that’s some nasty $hit!”

I had about four of those that day. Good thing my friend was driving us back to Tulsa.

You are probably right but I am skeptical. The KU and Louisville thing just kinda smacks of Todd’s agent throwing his name out there to keep his name fresh.

I’ve said for years he should do TV. He’s a central casting of paranoid abusive Texas coaches and people wanna see and hear that.

He wants to coach and has been far too successful for him not to get offers. He will try and play himself into the best job possible and who could blame him. I would say he is the second option at both schools. Texas schools will rate him higher. He will end up some where and win there, it's what he does.

Well that explains why you weren’t cold.

My poor uncle Floyd, that lone fan in the south end, thought he was going to freeze facing into the north wind. He just refused to sit anywhere other than his assigned seat.
Now that’s Tulsa.

Hard.

Honest.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
I went to the Chiefs vs. Ravens playoff game the year Cassel was with the Chiefs (as Simmons says, the worse team to ever make the playoffs).

Anywho, the keg lines froze in the upper level. They would sell you liquor, but there wasn’t much to mix it with other than hot chocolate. I ordered that with Jack Daniels. The bartender looks at me weird, shrugs his shoulders, pours me about half a standard issue coffee cup of JD, and yells “that’s some nasty $hit!”

I had about four of those that day. Good thing my friend was driving us back to Tulsa.
Too bad they didn't have Bourbon, would have gone down a little smoother with hot chocolate.

The 88 Temple game may have had 100 people if that in the stands. I was covering the game for the Collegian at the time so I was in the old press box, which was cold, but nothing compared to outside. I couldn't stand even walking up through the stands to the press box. No way I could have survived sitting outside for that game.

My brother Barry was in the stands, sitting under Jenk Jones' umbrella next to him. For youngsters who don't know, Jenk Jones was the owner of the Tulsa Tribune, the afternoon paper at the time when there were afternoon papers.

Dan Bitson told me that was the coldest game by far he ever played in. Absolutely miserable. No real passing in the game after the first series or two. Hard wind with the cold rain. Just miserable.

Reactions: HuffyCane
The 88 Temple game may have had 100 people if that in the stands. I was covering the game for the Collegian at the time so I was in the old press box, which was cold, but nothing compared to outside. I couldn't stand even walking up through the stands to the press box. No way I could have survived sitting outside for that game.

My brother Barry was in the stands, sitting under Jenk Jones' umbrella next to him. For youngsters who don't know, Jenk Jones was the owner of the Tulsa Tribune, the afternoon paper at the time when there were afternoon papers.

Dan Bitson told me that was the coldest game by far he ever played in. Absolutely miserable. No real passing in the game after the first series or two. Hard wind with the cold rain. Just miserable.

Two things saved the day that afternoon:

1. Umbrellas were still allowed in the stadium.
2. You could leave at halftime and return. QT still had plenty of hot drinks after the concession stand ran out.

Reactions: Larry Lewis
Too bad they didn't have Bourbon, would have gone down a little smoother with hot chocolate.

I think they had Tequila, rum, Chardonnay, and JD. Maybe they had fireball. It was a weird bar. I didn’t look around for other options because it was so cold.

I think they had Tequila, rum, Chardonnay, and JD. Maybe they had fireball. It was a weird bar. I didn’t look around for other options because it was so cold.
You could have gone with the French alcoholic's drink of choice in the morning, coffee & wine.(If they had coffee) The most disgusting mix I ever tried.(Drank it once, just to know how repulsive it tasted.) Of course they drank it with red, not Chardonnay. Rum might have been an option with hot chocolate.

A rare benefit of driving 1k miles NE in winter to visit in-laws was Christmas Day,2005-Packers v. Bears. We tailgated 1/2 blk from Lambeau in snow & 8" of slush. Snowed during game & the Packer FG kicker missed 2 chippies & da Bears won. Kind of chilly that day.

Was anyone on here sitting on the east side center about halfway up drinking copious amounts of beer during So. Miss snow bowl? Might I say you were totally obnoxious. I understood but my wife didn't. Ha!

Apparently KUs Cessna is on it's way to Baton Rouge. Unless GrassFed Les turns them down, looks like he is choice #1

Reactions: TU 1978
I was at the 18 degree chiefs ravens game Gold. Had a kerosene heater in the parking lot with my feet on it pre game trying to stay not frozen.

Home field at arrowhead will be chilly.

Was anyone on here sitting on the east side center about halfway up drinking copious amounts of beer during So. Miss snow bowl? Might I say you were totally obnoxious. I understood but my wife didn't. Ha!

Lol. Certainly could have been me as I was there and drinking heavily. Figured we were excused since we were students....and it wasn’t snowing when the drinking started btw. Please send our apologies to the wifey.

Reactions: quincy101
Charlie Strong is doing ok.
Charlie didn't really flame out. Again, let's go back to unrealistic expectations. Same with Todd at Arizona State.Coaches that go 8-5 are considered failures these days for some weird reason.

Take David Beatty for example. KU sucks at football for a decade. KU won 1 game last year and has won 3 games this year so they've shown some improvement. Schools aren't willing to see how things play out and see where the trajectory of development is headed.

Speaking of KU: Miles is the favorite of course, and according to the list McMurphy posted, Graham is not really being considered for that job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT