ADVERTISEMENT

Todd Graham ...

There you go, talking about Canadian teams again.

He’s still going to get canned unless he beats ‘Bama. I’m not sure the Buffalo Bills could beat Bama this year so I’m pretty sure Auburn probably can’t either.

We'll see, he's got Bama a few times now. He is incredibly good at exploiting what a defense does good or bad to the advantage of his offense.

He’s still going to get canned unless he beats ‘Bama. I’m not sure the Buffalo Bills could beat Bama this year so I’m pretty sure Auburn probably can’t either.

We'll see, he's got Bama a few times now. He is incredibly good at exploiting what a defense does good or bad to the advantage of his offense.
I know. Auburn’s offense has struggled a lot this year though. I also don’t think Auburn’s defense, while decent, can stop Alabama’s offense. Bama’s offense is on another level this year. OU’s offense may be almost as good as Bama’s, but we all know OU’s defense is probably the worst of any team in the top 7 of the CFP poll right now.

I know. Auburn’s offense has struggled a lot this year though. I also don’t think Auburn’s defense, while decent, can stop Alabama’s offense. Bama’s offense is on another level this year. OU’s offense may be almost as good as Bama’s, but we all know OU’s defense is probably the worst of any team in the top 7 of the CFP poll right now.

Pardon me for being skeptical but every year Alabama is supposedly unstoppable yet they lose. Not to mention the play like 4 road games a year and haven't played 5 away ooc games this century.

Malzahn will be the OC for that game. Head coaching stuff will go by the way. They will gadget them to death. I also think Georgia will beat Bama in the SEC championship. LSU is a good team. The rest of the SEC west is trash and Louisville is a different from the recent past. Losing a QB like that will do it occassionally.

But yes Malzahn all day every day. He would crush it here. Similar to Graham he would know the lay out and has the sort of buy out that could make a Strong like USF deal possible.

I'd assume he kept many of his Texas connections with AnM in the SEC, probably has strong Louisiana ties. In fact with the sec footprint laying over our conference as it does he wouldn't have to do much more than focus his scope here.

I still believe a tank of gas gives us 90% of the players we need to compete for a conference championship. We do well locally and in Dallas and that should be a bowl team in talent level.

Conference wise we have a ridiculous amount of fertile ground to comb through honestly for the last 10%. Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, the Carolina/Virginia area, Florida, and then our tank of gas states Texas and Louisiana.

I would assume people at Tulsa liked him and he left on good terms. I don't remember a lot of ill will about it.

Pardon me for being skeptical but every year Alabama is supposedly unstoppable yet they lose. Not to mention the play like 4 road games a year and haven't played 5 away ooc games this century.

Malzahn will be the OC for that game. Head coaching stuff will go by the way. They will gadget them to death. I also think Georgia will beat Bama in the SEC championship. LSU is a good team. The rest of the SEC west is trash and Louisville is a different from the recent past. Losing a QB like that will do it occassionally.

But yes Malzahn all day every day. He would crush it here. Similar to Graham he would know the lay out and has the sort of buy out that could make a Strong like USF deal possible.

I'd assume he kept many of his Texas connections with AnM in the SEC, probably has strong Louisiana ties. In fact with the sec footprint laying over our conference as it does he wouldn't have to do much more than focus his scope here.

I still believe a tank of gas gives us 90% of the players we need to compete for a conference championship. We do well locally and in Dallas and that should be a bowl team in talent level.

Conference wise we have a ridiculous amount of fertile ground to comb through honestly for the last 10%. Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, the Carolina/Virginia area, Florida, and then our tank of gas states Texas and Louisiana.

I would assume people at Tulsa liked him and he left on good terms. I don't remember a lot of ill will about it.
I root for Gus and Auburn to do well. I just know that right now, Auburn fans have super high and unrealistic expectations for that team and in that conference when you have LSU and Bama in your own division and then have to deal with Georgia in the SEC Championship if you can somehow navigate that road. Short of beating Bama this year, Gus probably gets fired because of the unrealistic expectations that fan base has.

And I would love to have Gus back.

I root for Gus and Auburn to do well. I just know that right now, Auburn fans have super high and unrealistic expectations for that team and in that conference when you have LSU and Bama in your own division and then have to deal with Georgia in the SEC Championship if you can somehow navigate that road. Short of beating Bama this year, Gus probably gets fired because of the unrealistic expectations that fan base has.

And I would love to have Gus back.
Coach of the future

Speaking of another coach at risk of losing his job because of another can’t miss sure thing QB scouted by Phillip Montgomery but has such a huge buyout the school can’t afford to do it. TU had four QBs on campus in 2007 when Gus came to town that we’re better players and prospects than any of the personnek on the current squad, including our starter. Even if we had the money, why would he come to a tiny school that he has already worked at without any talent in the pipeline?

Gus could recruit they type of players that would fit his system. He would not have to reteach Monty's players to fit his system. The QB would be wide open and Gus could bring in a couple of players that he knows would fit the bill.

didn't they just extend gus and bump his pay when arkansas was calling???

he's not going anywhere.

and if he does, I'm guessing somewhere that can pay some much bigger bucks would come after him. KU? North Carolina (with Bubba?) Louisville? K-State?

didn't they just extend gus and bump his pay when arkansas was calling???

he's not going anywhere.

and if he does, I'm guessing somewhere that can pay some much bigger bucks would come after him. KU? North Carolina (with Bubba?) Louisville? K-State?
North Carolina would be a place that I could see him going. KU needs to keep going after assistants. That place is a graveyard for coaches and I don't see it changing any time soon. I think KState has proven that you can't win there unless your last name is Snyder.

I would guess Louisville is going to have to go the assistant route as well. There's so many questions surrounding the athletic department there...it might be a while before they figure out which way is up.

I think Gus has proven he will do whatever he feels is best for him and his family. He surprisingly took the Arkansas State HC gig when he was the OC at Auburn and just a year or so removed from their national championship. And I don't think there is any way minus beating Alabama this year, that Auburn is not going to be pressured by the $$$ boosters to buy him out. Assuming they lose to Alabama, they're going to have 5 losses minimum and people were grumbling coming into this year. 5 losses including losses to Bama, LSU, and Georgia aren't going to quiet those. SEC fans are so elitist with unrealistic expectations. A&M fires coaches because they can't beat Bama, Auburn, and LSU every year. Who the hell CAN win those 3 games every season? Georgia fired Richt, who is one of my favorite coaches ever, for winning 9 games every year but not able to beat Florida. LSU fires Les Miles for not being able to run the gauntlet in the SEC West every year. (BTW, where does Miles end up? He's a great coach).

Tulsa is Gus' neck of the woods. I would not be surprised to see him end up this way again.

One guy who would take the Louisville job in a heart beat is Todd Graham.

I’ll have what BLA is having. I am $ure we could afford him.

Again the trend with coaches and huge buy outs is for them to continue to collect the pay from their old school and then pick up a back loaded contract. Tulsa is actually in a unique position this year to do so with the the future media money increase. Meaning that this would largely be a financially workable situation.

Kansas is going with Les Miles.

Louisville opening means a landing place for Todd Graham, except for the draw backs of the NCAA legal mess. Apparently they are taking a serious run at Purdue's coach who is an Alum. Gus has been pretty clean even in the dirty SEC so I don't see him taking a long look at that.

UNC and Graham don't match. Gus could work well there.

Tulsa is a program they both know they can win at. It fits both of their strengths for recruiting. It's in a better conference than before and one that has coaches moving on to "better" programs regularly and isn't being dominated by any single program.

There are positives that would attract them here but neither would be sure thing. This is where having a low key AD may really hurt. How aggressive and good of a pitch can Gragg make? Will Gragg see opportunity with Malzan or someone else and try for it, or will we get more of the same?

Apparently they are taking a serious run at Purdue's coach who is an Alum.
Jeff Brohm. Funny story from a TU fan's point of view. TU played Louisville in Skelly on Thanksgiving Day back in 1993. Louisville was coached by Howard Schnellenberger. We got there really early and sat in the front row of the student section right behind 'Villes bench. Schnellenberger is making the walk down the sideline wearing this bright red sweater with protruding old man gut and his white hair and big white mustache. We got the entire section to sing "Here Comes Santa Claus" as he was coming down the sideline. Looks at me and my friend and says "Shut the f-ck up". Doesn't make eye contact with us the rest of the game even though we were pretty relentless after that. We also hounded 'Villes kicker who missed a PAT after the only score of the 1st half. We start on him telling him if he lost a few lbs he might make a kick once in a while and he looks at us and says "scoreboard" and points up to the score. We immediately start in "Are you kidding, it's only 6-0. Why is it only 6? Because you're too fat to do your job!" He immediately left the area we were in and went as far away to another end of the bench area and stayed away.

On Brohm...during that game, Brohm took off running on a busted play and just as he was getting to the TU sideline he started to slow down. Jeremy Bunch comes in and gives him a hard 2-handed shove just in bounds and Brohm goes running and tries to hurdle the aluminum bench on TUs sideline. He catches his toe on the top and flips over head first into the concrete wall and knocked himself cold.

I think TU lost something like 27-0 that day but it was one of the more fun heckling games to be at because there weren't many people there and the people we were heckling actually engaged back at us.

Jeff Brohm. Funny story from a TU fan's point of view. TU played Louisville in Skelly on Thanksgiving Day back in 1993. Louisville was coached by Howard Schnellenberger. We got there really early and sat in the front row of the student section right behind 'Villes bench. Schnellenberger is making the walk down the sideline wearing this bright red sweater with protruding old man gut and his white hair and big white mustache. We got the entire section to sing "Here Comes Santa Claus" as he was coming down the sideline. Looks at me and my friend and says "Shut the f-ck up". Doesn't make eye contact with us the rest of the game even though we were pretty relentless after that. We also hounded 'Villes kicker who missed a PAT after the only score of the 1st half. We start on him telling him if he lost a few lbs he might make a kick once in a while and he looks at us and says "scoreboard" and points up to the score. We immediately start in "Are you kidding, it's only 6-0. Why is it only 6? Because you're too fat to do your job!" He immediately left the area we were in and went as far away to another end of the bench area and stayed away.

On Brohm...during that game, Brohm took off running on a busted play and just as he was getting to the TU sideline he started to slow down. Jeremy Bunch comes in and gives him a hard 2-handed shove just in bounds and Brohm goes running and tries to hurdle the aluminum bench on TUs sideline. He catches his toe on the top and flips over head first into the concrete wall and knocked himself cold.

I think TU lost something like 27-0 that day but it was one of the more fun heckling games to be at because there weren't many people there and the people we were heckling actually engaged back at us.

3 coldest football games I've ever attended:

1. 1989 Independence Bowl
2. 1993 vs. Louisville
3. Last Friday night's HS playoffs

Reactions: HuffyCane

2. 1993 vs. Louisville
It was cold that day.

Coldest I've ever been was a Thanksgiving Day game in MA. Every game starts at 10:00AM across the state. 4-5 inches of snow the night before and temps probably close to 10 degrees. We left our blanket because it froze to the snow covered bleachers. I think the game had like 300 total yards between the 2 teams and the final was something like 8-6. Neither team dared try to kick that day.

Second coldest was a NE Patriots game when I was in HS and the Patriots pretty much sucked. Maybe the lowest attended NFL game I've ever seen including all the Jax games the last 10 years. Maybe 20k in the stands. This was the old Foxobor/Schaeffer/Sullivan stadium days. Our HS band did the halftime show. FREEZING. The painted on lines of the old style Astroturf were frozen and slick as snot. A few of us stayed in the stands to finish watching the game after halftime. There were like 150 people in the end zone. 4 of us were huddled together and got face time on ESPN that night with Chris Berman using us as the lead in "Tell me it's not cold in Foxboro". Couldn't tell you who the Patriots played and couldn't tell you if they won (they probably didn't, after all it was December 1989).

Being reported that Kansas and Todd Graham have mutual interest. Graham will get introduced and claim "This is my dream job". Leaves after 1st season because Penni realizes Kansas gets cold as f-ck in the winter.

Graham now linked to the KU job... he's totally going to take it and immediately turn KU into a middle of the pack Big 12 team. Meanwhile, I'll be here weeping while KU becomes respectable and we continue doing "this". Well, whatever "this" is on offense, but it is bad and painful to watch.

Hey we may win 10 games over the course of 3 or 4 seasons with Monty... I know 10 win seasons started becoming expected under Graham but instead we are going to return to the mid-to-late 90s, 2 - 3 win seasons of old.

Graham will get introduced and claim "This is my dream job and has lots of family near Lawrence".

FIFY... the last part is likely true though, with how many kids he has and his family's size he probably does have family near KC.

Graham now linked to the KU job... he's totally going to take it and immediately turn KU into a middle of the pack Big 12 team. Meanwhile, I'll be here weeping while KU becomes respectable and we continue doing "this". Well, whatever "this" is on offense, but it is bad and painful to watch.

Hey we may win 10 games over the course of 3 or 4 seasons with Monty... I know 10 win seasons started becoming expected under Graham but instead we are going to return to the mid-to-late 90s, 2 - 3 win seasons of old.
And he's going to make Brennan Marion WR coach the very least if he doesn't make him OC. Marion can flat out recruit too. Has a very relatable story to kids, can stress the importance of education as you never know when football will get snatched away from you.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Being reported that Kansas and Todd Graham have mutual interest. Graham will get introduced and claim "This is my dream job". Leaves after 1st season because Penni realizes Kansas gets cold as f-ck in the winter.

Graham seems to be the type that likes to be the big man on campus. How will he fit in at a school where football is not the top sport.

Graham seems to be the type that likes to be the big man on campus. How will he fit in at a school where football is not the top sport.

His ego is big enough he will think he can make football the top sport.

And I don't think being the HC of a D1 team an ego like that is a problem.

Reactions: TU4ever2
Seems likely that KU will get Les Miles who will do similar things for them as he did at OSU. . . Still some rumblings in Texas Tech though. Miami is maybe going to sour as well depending on how they finish.
Tech fans should ride Kingsbury out TBH. They have been competitive with every top team in the league. Again, people need realistic expectations. Tech isn't going to beat OU every year and probably not even 1 out of every 5 years. What Kingsbury has done there is pretty remarkable and as long as their D continues to improve or at least give them a chance, they will do pretty well. It's like unrealistic expectations at OSU. You're not going to have a string of years like 2012 at OSU where you're in the convo for the playoffs or national championship picture every season. Those seasons are once every 10 year type of things are schools like OSU. Same with Tech.

As for Miami, again, unrealistic...when you're not cheating. And Mark Richt isn't the type to cheat or tolerate the criminal element that have taken Miami to glory in the past. Richt is one of the best coaches in the game and he does things the right way.

I can’t imagine that Gregg keeps a short list of candidates for a potential situation like this. It just doesn’t feel like he has the connections.

Reactions: TU4ever2
Kansas seems to be improving. They’ve won more games this year than the last 3 seasons combined. Why are they changing? That seems like a stupid choice for a rehabbing coach since 7 or 8 wins is probably the realistic cap. I guess with Baylor on life support and TCU down, this would be the time if you’re going to do it.

2. 1993 vs. Louisville

1991 vs Southern Miss

Of course that game in the snow didn’t seem quite as cold because of our amazing last second win !

Reactions: Tulsa76
1991 vs Southern Miss

Of course that game in the snow didn’t seem quite as cold because of our amazing last second win !

That one would be #4 on my list. It was cold, but I don’t believe it dropped below 30. That game will also hold a special place for personal reasons.

The first two were absolutely frigid. And I may just be getting old, but I put on a record number of clothes Friday night and was still cold.

Graham is not going to Louisville. From an institutional standpoint, Jeff Brohm is the most admired alum in the coaching business. The Brohm name in Louisville, between grandpa, dad and brother, has the same recognition as Gundy in Oklahoma. He’s been prepping for the job for thirty years and can name his price — if he wants the job right now. It’s the equivalent of Paul Smith going 9-3 at Iowa State the same year TU goes 2-10 and I win the lottery.

Graham will show up somewhere half way between here and Tempe about three years from now. It might be Lubbock, it might be El Paso. It might be Midland Lee. He ain’t coaching KU either.

1991 So Miss was cold, but nothing compared to Seahawks at Chiefs in Arrowhead in November a couple of times in the mid 80’s. Sheets of ice for hours. Ran out of hot chocolate and coffee.

My Dad was stationed in Korea abd visited Chosin as the situation began to unravel. Though he didn’t fight or sacrifice there, he often said Arrowhead Stadium is the only place on the planet colder than Chosin.

1991 So Miss was cold, but nothing compared to Seahawks at Chiefs in Arrowhead in November a couple of times in the mid 80’s. Sheets of ice for hours. Ran out of hot chocolate and coffee.

My Dad was stationed in Korea abd visited Chosin as the situation began to unravel. Though he didn’t fight or sacrifice there, he often said Arrowhead Stadium is the only place on the planet colder than Chosin.

That’s a good one. Another classic was the ‘88 Temple game. Temp in the mid 30s with a steady rain. Less than 300 total in attendance, including a single fan in the south end zone.

And somehow they still ran out of hot chocolate.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Graham is not going to Louisville. From an institutional standpoint, Jeff Brohm is the most admired alum in the coaching business. The Brohm name in Louisville, between grandpa, dad and brother, has the same recognition as Gundy in Oklahoma. He’s been prepping for the job for thirty years and can name his price — if he wants the job right now. It’s the equivalent of Paul Smith going 9-3 at Iowa State the same year TU goes 2-10 and I win the lottery.

Graham will show up somewhere half way between here and Tempe about three years from now. It might be Lubbock, it might be El Paso. It might be Midland Lee. He ain’t coaching KU either.

He will be coaching some where this spring, will it be Tulsa? Who knows.

That’s a good one. Another classic was the ‘88 Temple game. Temp in the mid 30s with a steady rain. Less than 300 total in attendance, including a single fan in the south end zone.

And somehow they still ran out of hot chocolate.
I was there for that one as a student.

It wasn’t cold.

I had recently brought back two cases of Maker’s from Kentucky during fall break — something the boys on frat row had never seen before. Bootlegged a fortune by 19 year old standards.

He will be coaching some where this spring, will it be Tulsa? Who knows.
You are probably right but I am skeptical. The KU and Louisville thing just kinda smacks of Todd’s agent throwing his name out there to keep his name fresh.

I’ve said for years he should do TV. He’s a central casting of paranoid abusive Texas coaches and people wanna see and hear that.

I was there for that one as a student.

It wasn’t cold.

I had recently brought back two cases of Maker’s from Kentucky during fall break — something the boys on frat row had never seen before. Bootlegged a fortune by 19 year old standards.

Well that explains why you weren’t cold.

My poor uncle Floyd, that lone fan in the south end, thought he was going to freeze facing into the north wind. He just refused to sit anywhere other than his assigned seat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT