ADVERTISEMENT

Todd Graham ...

The Nation of UCF

I.T.S. Position Coach
Aug 31, 2001
..... saw TU for the 1st time last night and it's obvious Montgomery is on his way out .... have'nt been on this board in a while , is there any chatter about bringing Todd Graham back ...

there is now
Not sure if there would be interest from his side but if there was it would be a win win situation for us. He might not stay long but he would get bought out allowing the university to have e cash to pay the next coach! I feel bad for Montgomery or any coach on the hot seat but it’s definitely time for a change.

Not sure if there would be interest from his side but if there was it would be a win win situation for us. He might not stay long but he would get bought out allowing the university to have e cash to pay the next coach! I feel bad for Montgomery or any coach on the hot seat but it’s definitely time for a change.

I agree. Todd knows how to win, and our proximity to Texas means he is really able to tee it up.

With Tech looking solid there isn't a big 12 job opening in Texas. KU maybe but not sure that would pull his interest.

His buy out from Arizona gives him some flexibility that could help us to make it happen financially with a back loaded contract and hopefully a big bump in media money coming.

We have the sort of players he likes for his systems. He has traditionally done well in identifying young coaching talent and bringing it in.

He's a firebrand and gets people up. He's hard nosed. He knows the situation and limitations presented by Tulsa in academics, size, etc. He gets TU's history and knows what our fanbase expects and wants to see.

Would he leave? Probably. But not as soon as some would think. He's bounced around a lot, seen stuff from different angles. He would probably build a winning program and then wait for a great opportunity as opposed climbing just to climb.

He should have pulled a Haith and jumped ship to go to Baylor when it looked like Briles was going to get the axe. Not sure that he'd want to retread back to us. Seems like a guy that's pretty high on himself. It takes a special type of person be ok with going back to a situation you thought you had taken a step above. Not saying he wouldn't do it... just that it seems a bit out of character to me.

Would love to have him. Isn’t he out of coaching this year?

If he stays out too long, he will no longer be a viable option.

He's out this year, his first not coaching in a while.

My understanding is he thinks well of the school. Some school people have issues with him but he is generally liked.

The truth is we may be his best option if he wants to coach next year should our position become open. None of the g5 Texas jobs will be as attractive and it looks doubtful an A5 job will be available with strong Texas ties.

It may just be the perfect opportunity. Graham can compete and win here, be patient and watch for a good Texas job to open. Hell if he gets lucky and has a big season he may get his pick here in a few years.

He will wind up at UTEP in two years and be Price 2.0.

Lol

I doubt it though, he won at Rice and UTEP has some advantages he would win quick there and bail at his first chance. No upside to it. North Texas though might look good to him.

You might be right. Check the phone book in Denton and see if there are families named Graham.

Actually that would be a good fit for him to come back on. In Texas, solid support, the conference is a negative.

That's why I think we have a shot if we fire Monty. Our conference exposure, pay, and respect (ny6) means he can get attention easily and coach at a high level for decent pay.

My belief, supported by nothing, is that retread coaches who flame out usually don’t work out. They lose something which causes them to get fired which keeps them from being successful again. Where do the data stand on this? My concern with graham is that he’s peaked and it’s all downhill from here.

My belief, supported by nothing, is that retread coaches who flame out usually don’t work out. They lose something which causes them to get fired which keeps them from being successful again. Where do the data stand on this? My concern with graham is that he’s peaked and it’s all downhill from here.

He's had a two 5-7 years and one 6-7 year. Every other year is a winning season and it's ten bowls out of twelve years as a head coach.

Even in Arizona St, way out of his natural recruiting stength, he won a south division PAC crown and had back to back 10 win seasons. Last year his team finished 6-6 and then won the sun bowl after they fired him. Upset Washington at home when they were top 10.

He wins, he won at Rice, he won at Pitt, he won at Arizona St, and he sure as hell won here. That's probably not going to change it's twelve years and four schools in drastically different settings and resources of evidence. He can coach.

A certain person with a name that rhymes with Schmonofbird has been in contact with a certain former coach. This former coach, with a name that rhymes with Schmodd Schmraham, thinks it would be a blessing to come back to TU.

Did nw Arkansas sources confirm????

Reactions: Gold*
off the top of my head, i remember he hired Gus Mulzon, and Chad Morris. That seemed to work.
And Herb Hand, and Mike Norvell.... He did hire some good ones, but he also lost them all and was forced to do it himself for a year. Didn't turn out so well.

And Herb Hand, and Mike Norvell.... He did hire some good ones, but he also lost them all and was forced to do it himself for a year. Didn't turn out so well.
But he did find them, i think thats more important. He knows he needs a good supporting cast and knows how to find it. Thats what a good CEO does.

But he did find them, i think thats more important. He knows he needs a good supporting cast and knows how to find it. Thats what a good CEO does.

And he couldn’t retain them because their demanded salaries were more than TU could afford/would pay. They left for better jobs, not because they didn’t like Todd or thought they were about to be fired.

My only requirement if TG is ever a serious candidate, he is NOT ALLOWED to even consider/attempt bringing Patterson on as DC.

Reactions: jesterondirt
Ironically, if we are talking about bring back coaches to take over for Montgomery then my pick for the next coach would be Matt Wells at Utah State. But he’s an alum there and winning consistently while growing USU into a legit program for the first time. He’s unlikely to want the TU job, the money would be a lateral .... and he would bring Keith Patterson his DC with him. FWIW, their defense is in the Top 10 in sacks and turnovers, solidly near the top of the conference in every category and ranking in the 60s in most other measureables. And they just beat the snot out of BYU’s offense. Ol Keith might not be so bad when he has a head coach that lets him recruit players other than six foot 200lbs regardless of position.

Why would we want to lose our DC? I feel like the defense has put us in a place to win more often then not

Reactions: TULSARISING
See Bobby Petrino at Louisville this year. That place is a dumpster fire of epic proportions this year

Ironically, if we are talking about bring back coaches to take over for Montgomery then my pick for the next coach would be Matt Wells at Utah State. But he’s an alum there and winning consistently while growing USU into a legit program for the first time. He’s unlikely to want the TU job, the money would be a lateral .... and he would bring Keith Patterson his DC with him. FWIW, their defense is in the Top 10 in sacks and turnovers, solidly near the top of the conference in every category and ranking in the 60s in most other measureables. And they just beat the snot out of BYU’s offense. Ol Keith might not be so bad when he has a head coach that lets him recruit players other than six foot 200lbs regardless of position.
Matt Wells is poised to take over a big time program. Utah State beat the snot out of BYU the other night. They were faster and more physical than BYU. Utah State is likely the best team in the MWC (Boise lost at home to San Diego State this weekend). I know he's a Utah State alum but isn't he from Oklahoma?

^ Yes Wells is, Sallisaw Black Diamond.

And KP is his DC

Edit (didn’t see the previous mention by Huffy)

Graham can really recruit and generate hype. He’s always going to be tied to the offensive coordinator. I’m not against it because I also like winning games, but there are so many people at TU who would be against this and there is no more Stead to overrule them. At a school like TU, little things are a big deal and Graham would demand a lot of resources and attention that people may not want to give up.

I ultimately think he’s a pretty good coach and not as bad as people make him out to be. He sold a bunch of Texas and a few Louisiana kids on TU.

I don’t know if we have the money raised to make this work this time either. I think the discussion is worth it but I also don’t think we will change coaches this year. I’m not certain he would leave again either, but that could be good and bad.

I came back for the game last night. Sitting in the club seats when we fell behind by 10 I overheard two older women saying we need to bring back Graham because he can win.

Graham can really recruit and generate hype. He’s always going to be tied to the offensive coordinator. I’m not against it because I also like winning games, but there are so many people at TU who would be against this and there is no more Stead to overrule them. At a school like TU, little things are a big deal and Graham would demand a lot of resources and attention that people may not want to give up.

I ultimately think he’s a pretty good coach and not as bad as people make him out to be. He sold a bunch of Texas and a few Louisiana kids on TU.

I don’t know if we have the money raised to make this work this time either. I think the discussion is worth it but I also don’t think we will change coaches this year. I’m not certain he would leave again either, but that could be good and bad.

The money situation is the one thing that might give us a good chance with Graham. If he is willing to let us back load the contract and him ride his ASU buy out like USF did with Strong.

The draw back is we will be all in on Graham at that point his contract will be long to make the numbers work right and his pay will probably be upper tier in the AAC. That could also be a positive if you think Graham can win. We will have a bump in media pay money. How much is unknown though.

It's a gamble but at this point we need too. Graham might be able to help with our scheduling issues through his coaching connections.

Reactions: Gold*
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT