ADVERTISEMENT

This is the Republican Party

The left just can’t come to grips with DeSantis near 60% approval rating in Florida.
Florida is the nation’s meth capital, and home of Florida Man so that seems logical.

Florida is the nation’s meth capital, and home of Florida Man so that seems logical.
You left out the fastest growing state in the country. Those boys doing something right down there. The likes of California, New York, Illinios, etc… should take notice.

You left out the fastest growing state in the country. Those boys doing something right down there. The likes of California, New York, Illinios, etc… should take notice.
All it takes is cat 5 storm…

Giving the state government credit for a warm climate and cheap land is silly. Local papers are fed up with DiSantis putting woke before economic, housing, insurance and other pressing state issues.

Reactions: 918Golden
Giving the state government credit for a warm climate and cheap land is silly. Local papers are fed up with DiSantis putting woke before economic, housing, insurance and other pressing state issues.
Florida has the 11th most expensive land per acre in the country according to the WSJ.

Every paper in America is going bankrupt for a reason.

Dont worry...as soon as enough democrats move to Florida it will be as effed up as NY, Illinois and California... so theres hope for you yet..

Every paper in America is going bankrupt for a reason.
Two separate points with no true correlation between the two. Print is dead, not at cause of liberal newspapers.

Dont worry...as soon as enough democrats move to Florida it will be as effed up as NY, Illinois and California... so theres hope for you yet..
I imagine it will go in the opposite way and more extreme republicans will move there in favor of Desantis. I don't see Democrats moving there and dealing with the legislation that Desantis is supporting.

Two separate points with no true correlation between the two. Print is dead, not at cause of liberal newspapers.

I imagine it will go in the opposite way and more extreme republicans will move there in favor of Desantis. I don't see Democrats moving there and dealing with the legislation that Desantis is supporting.
business will follow favorable tax conditions... and people will follow their pocketbooks... big cities will get more residents and those who feel that they cant live without big govt assistance will change the voting patterns... eventually the urban left vote will outnumber the rural right vote and the state will go the way of CA, IL, and NY...

business will follow favorable tax conditions... and people will follow their pocketbooks... big cities will get more residents and those who feel that they cant live without big govt assistance will change the voting patterns... eventually the urban left vote will outnumber the rural right vote and the state will go the way of CA, IL, and NY...
It’s actually ironic. People are fleeing the conditions found in Cal, IL, NY etc.. to states like Florida and Texas. Yet when they arrive they vote the same ideology which caused the economic and tax system from which they escaped.

Eventually that will most likely be true. But in the short run, politics will pull the extreme right there. I've seen it happen in my family. If the politics don't change, that will likely extend the short run.

Regrettably, thats eventually the way all big cities will go, liberal. I don't look forward to that. But that's 20 years down the road at a minimum. I fear for the US when that happens. The parties check each other. When that ceases, so might the country.

Last edited:
Reactions: drboobay
It’s actually ironic. People are fleeing the conditions found in Cal, IL, NY etc.. to states like Florida and Texas. Yet when they arrive they vote the same ideology which caused the economic and tax system from which they escaped.
They were “fleeing” high real estate prices….caused by the fact that people would rather live in those places… but the cost of living was too high.

Anyone who tells you that Texas is a better state to live in than California for anything except the cost of living (including the lack of income tax) is lying, or they hadn’t experienced a Texas summer yet.

They were “fleeing” high real estate prices….caused by the fact that people would rather live in those places… but the cost of living was too high.

Anyone who tells you that Texas is a better state to live in than California for anything except the cost of living (including the lack of income tax) is lying, or they hadn’t experienced a Texas summer yet.
I have a bunch of friends wintering in Florida just enough to avoid paying taxes in Vermont, Connecticut, New York, etc. They made their dough and raised their families up north but retirement, low taxes, warmer weather, golf, and life spans that will be unaffected by the issues we are passing on to the next generation makes Florida an attractive alternative. They haven’t sold their old homes and they don’t encourage their kids to do more than visit.

Last edited:
I have a bunch of friends wintering in Florida just enough to avoid paying taxes in Vermont, Connecticut, New York, etc. They made their dough and raised their families up north but retirement, low taxes, warmer weather, golf, and life spans that will be unaffected by the issues we passing on to the next generation makes Florida an attractive alternative. They haven’t sold their old homes and they don’t encourage their kids to do more than visit.
Wintering in Florida does not equate to moving domiciles to Florida which is what we’re discussing. Old people have been wintering in warm climates for decades. The migration from the likes of CA, NY and IL is a relatively new phenomenon and is based on many factors including taxation, energy costs, business friendly environments, cost of living, etc.

The average non-native Florida resident is present in the State 19 months before expiring or leaving the state, typically the state or country of origin.

Your migration figures are also somewhat skewed because while people are moving to Florida to escape things like taxes and CoVid restrictions, a significant source of growth is foreign real estate investment to escape high inflation.

There are also an unknown large number of persons buying investment properties and claiming a homestead exemption in both states because of Florida’s taxation scheme and outrageous property insurance rates for investment homes. Florida thinks they have moved there but it’s really an Airbnb that is used for a private vacation by the owner one week a year.

People are moving to Florida because they are rich and think they can get richer or they are middle class and want to coast later in life and have a nest egg to do that with what they earned in more developed economies in other states that have a higher cost of living. Few if any are moving there because they admire Ron DeSantis or Fox News tells them to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clong83a and watu05

you are right. California is a prettier state: mountains, ocean, and weather; its their politics that suck.

Florida also has the 3rd fastest growing economy in the country in addition to leading the nation in population growth. Whatever Florida is doing it’s working.

Just fyi. Florida gdp growth rate is 4%. California’s is 0.4%. For those who struggle with math that would place Florida’s growth rate at 10 times higher than that of California. Two states going in very different directions to quite an old TU football coach

Florida also has the 3rd fastest growing economy in the country in addition to leading the nation in population growth. Whatever Florida is doing it’s working.

Just fyi. Florida gdp growth rate is 4%. California’s is 0.4%. For those who struggle with math that would place Florida’s growth rate at 10 times higher than that of California. Two states going in very different directions to quite an old TU football coach
It was also on Forbes most affordable places to live list for years. Now it’s off that list on the verge of being added to the most expensive. The median price of a home in The Villages has nearly doubled recently - $416,000 well above the national average. Tampa had the highest consumer price index in the nation for a few months last year.

All of which has nothing to do with DiSantis war on ‘woke’ and targeting minorities, transgender and gays. Generally people read an editorial before commenting on it.

DiSantis is copying Hungary’s Orban and hopes to attract the Maga crowd away from Trump. Making the US into a copy of autocratic run Hungary may appeal to some, but not me.

• Haha
Reactions: URedskin54

I lived in California for a few years. I mostly hated it. And I agree with you, the reason I hated it was that it was too expensive and too crowded.

I lived in San Diego, which is (or at least was at the time) pretty moderate Republican territory overall. The state politics were definitely frustrating at times, but that wasn't the reason I couldn't wait to get out. It was the cost of living and the bizarre California local's attitude (that yes, even my conservative friends had) of superiority over all the other states. If asked why they pay the high prices to live there, they'll respond that it is just the best place to live on earth, period. They haven't even been anywhere else, mostly. One (conservative) local San Diegan I knew insisted that the Grand Canyon was in California, because in his world view literally all the best stuff in the country was in California.

As someone who has actually lived and visited many other places, I had a really hard time accepting this. It's a lie they tell themselves so they keep paying the rent/mortgage.

All of which has nothing to do with DiSantis war on ‘woke’ and targeting minorities, transgender and gays. Generally people read an editorial before commenting on it.

DiSantis is copying Hungary’s Orban and hopes to attract the Maga crowd away from Trump. Making the US into a copy of autocratic run Hungary may appeal to some, but not me.
You keep posting the opinions of extreme left leaning journalists who are arguing why Florida is a bad place to live and shouldn’t be a model for the rest of the country. Ignoring the fact the state has a booming economy and one of the fastest growing populations in the country. Whatever they are doing, Americans want to live and work there.

I lived in California for a few years. I mostly hated it. And I agree with you, the reason I hated it was that it was too expensive and too crowded.

I lived in San Diego, which is (or at least was at the time) pretty moderate Republican territory overall. The state politics were definitely frustrating at times, but that wasn't the reason I couldn't wait to get out. It was the cost of living and the bizarre California local's attitude (that yes, even my conservative friends had) of superiority over all the other states. If asked why they pay the high prices to live there, they'll respond that it is just the best place to live on earth, period. They haven't even been anywhere else, mostly. One (conservative) local San Diegan I knew insisted that the Grand Canyon was in California, because in his world view literally all the best stuff in the country was in California.

As someone who has actually lived and visited many other places, I had a really hard time accepting this. It's a lie they tell themselves so they keep paying the rent/mortgage.
Sounds a lot like Texans….with worse weather but a much better tax and business environment

Charlie's in the trees...

Honestly.... yeah. A lot of Californians are just as bad as Texans when it comes to smug self-assured superiority.
Unfortunately in Oklahoma, most of the citizens self esteem is based on the performance of a football team rather than any overall cultural superiority..

Sounds a lot like Texans….with worse weather but a much better tax and business environment
I agree on the personal taxes. California is still a good place for businesses simply because of the quality and size of the workforce.

Texas is admittedly starting to improve the quality of its workforce (mostly through California transplants)

I agree on the personal taxes. California is still a good place for businesses simply because of the quality and size of the workforce.

Texas is admittedly starting to improve the quality of its workforce (mostly through California transplants)
Someone probably should tell businesses. They are now leaving California in droves similar their individual counterparts

Someone probably should tell businesses. They are now leaving California in droves similar their individual counterparts

I would make the point that even the business exodus is likely related to real estate costs more than anything else. Office space in Silicon Valley probably costs more than a businesses' tax bill (which is also not cheap). Seriously, if you can save on BOTH by moving to a Dallas suburb, you absolutely should.

The reason you don't, as aston related, is simply that there is a massive highly skilled tech workforce in California that is custom tuned to your industry. That is starting to change, and the dam might very well break. In my mind, that's not a bad thing.

I would make the point that even the business exodus is likely related to real estate costs more than anything else. Office space in Silicon Valley probably costs more than a businesses' tax bill (which is also not cheap). Seriously, if you can save on BOTH by moving to a Dallas suburb, you absolutely should.

The reason you don't, as aston related, is simply that there is a massive highly skilled tech workforce in California that is custom tuned to your industry. That is starting to change, and the dam might very well break. In my mind, that's not a bad thing.
I would think there are other factors at play as well. Real estate costs in California have been high for years yet businesses continued to move into the state. To my knowledge California has never experienced this type of exodus of people, businesses and wealth. Not sure what the tipping point was but it appears it has been breached.

I would think there are other factors at play as well. Real estate costs in California have been high for years yet businesses continued to move into the state. To my knowledge California has never experienced this type of exodus of people, businesses and wealth. Not sure what the tipping point was but it appears it has been breached.
Sure, probably lots. Nothing is ever as simple as we'd like it to be, but our brains need simple explanations. :) Not sure exactly what the tipping point was either, but COVID might have jump started some of it with remote workers.

Reactions: lawpoke87
Sure, probably lots. Nothing is ever as simple as we'd like it to be, but our brains need simple explanations. :) Not sure exactly what the tipping point was either, but COVID might have jump started some of it with remote workers.
Covid, maybe. Time was also a factor. Taxes maintaining their high levels with less services for those taxes becoming a reality over time. Years upon years of overpriced rent, combined with other places slowly building their combination of companies gradually being added to the tech industry. Workforce slowly becoming more viable for the tech industry in other places. Side industries to the tech force, (Like cable & cell phone workforce.) building themselves up as alternate workforce to hire in the tech industries in other places. Quality of living, (including crime, homeless population, drug users, etc) gradually becoming lesser.

All of this leading to the recent exodus. All of that stuff doesn't occur in a short period of time. It takes a while to build up. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was it destroyed in a day. The dam had holes long before it burst.

Reactions: Clong83a

Absolutely. San Diego is essentially the perfect city IMO with the perfect climate save for the cost!

I would say it's likely the normalization of work from home. Prior to Covid acting as a proof of concept, most California based businesses required their employees to work at one of their campuses which were big dollar investments. When a couple big business industries (tech, energy, manufacturing, etc...) said "you are now free to go wherever and we'll pay you pretty much the same as we would if you lived in SF or LA".... a lot of people made the decision to live like kings in Austin rather than living in a 1 or 2 bedroom in California.

It's also partly what continues to drive inflation.... as the Coastal salaries become dispersed across the nation, they drive up housing markets and demand in places that used to be fly over states.

If you asked most folks, I think they would say that as good as California's climate is in comparison to Texas'....4000+ sq ft and a swimming pool makes dealing with it a lot easier. I do think the influx will start to die down as the upcoming recession begins to take hold and interest rates prevent people from relocating.

On the other hand.... this also frees up some population density on the Coasts. I would anticipate accelerated growth their in a few years after the effects of the stagnating growth rates begins to become a benefit rather than a detriment (in nicer, more desirable climates)

Last edited:
I would say it's likely the normalization of work from home. Prior to Covid acting as a proof of concept, most California based businesses required their employees to work at one of their campuses which were big dollar investments. When a couple big business industries (tech, energy, manufacturing, etc...) said "you are now free to go wherever and we'll pay you pretty much the same as we would if you lived in SF or LA".... a lot of people made the decision to live like kings in Austin rather than living in a 1 or 2 bedroom in California.

It's also partly what continues to drive inflation.... as the Coastal salaries become dispersed across the nation, they drive up housing markets and demand in places that used to be fly over states.

If you asked most folks, I think they would say that as good as California's climate is in comparison to Texas'....4000+ sq ft and a swimming pool makes dealing with it a lot easier. I do think the influx will start to die down as the upcoming recession begins to take hold and interest rates prevent people from relocating.

On the other hand.... this also frees up some population density on the Coasts. I would anticipate accelerated growth their in a few years after the effects of the stagnating growth rates begins to become a benefit rather than a detriment (in nicer, more desirable climates)
Businesses are moving not just their employees. I do agree after the initial shock of losing part of their tax base the exodus out of state could benefit California. Property prices should come down as demand decreased. Which in turn should help with the cost of living. Curious to see if policy changes are made to attract business and capital investment back into the state.

Hoping the upcoming recession is mild. We’ve seen real wages now decrease for 25 straight months. Something I know concerns you even though you’ve been quiet on this front for awhile. Might take a recession to turn the fortune of the American worker around.

Businesses are moving not just their employees. I do agree after the initial shock of losing part of their tax base the exodus out of state could benefit California. Property prices should come down as demand decreased. Which in turn should help with the cost of living. Curious to see if policy changes are made to attract business and capital investment back into the state.

Hoping the upcoming recession is mild. We’ve seen real wages now decrease for 25 straight months. Something I know concerns you even though you’ve been quiet on this front for awhile. Might take a recession to turn the fortune of the American worker around.
I found it amusing when they said that Joe Biden and the Federal Reserve had almost come to an agreement on what to do about these rate increases and whether to continue them. Thank God Biden might be able to curtail these continued rate increase by the Reserve for a little while. They have pushed it enough or a little too far. That last one might have not been done, & it be better for the economy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT