ADVERTISEMENT

This is the Republican Party

Currently reading an interesting book arguing that the climate driven population movement has already started in the US and that our current mechanisms for addressing the impacts need revising. IOW the US is neither doing much to prevent climate change nor to adapt to the effects of climate change.

The Great Displacement.

Currently reading an interesting book arguing that the climate driven population movement has already started in the US and that our current mechanisms for addressing the impacts need revising. IOW the US is neither doing much to prevent climate change nor to adapt to the effects of climate change.

The Great Displacement.
The less the government does, the better.

The Great Displacement.

As I’ve said off years, we better be spending money on dealing with a warmer environment. Our sole focus on the foolhardy belief the US can halt or even significantly flow climate change is finally being realized as a fantasy. How can a washed up lawyer in Tulsa know more than the governments of the world? Possibly because I don’t have an agenda or a financially driven motive?

Reactions: drboobay

As I’ve said off years, we better be spending money on dealing with a warmer environment. Our sole focus on the foolhardy belief the US can halt or even significantly flow climate change is finally being realized as a fantasy. How can a washed up lawyer in Tulsa know more than the governments of the world? Possibly because I don’t have an agenda or a financially driven motive?
I don’t believe that the ultimate solution is ignoring the root cause of the problem (and even accelerating it)

China isn’t willing to play nicely with the rest of the world which will probably lead to armed conflict with the west anyway. Their stance on coal is starting to become moot anyway.

I don’t believe that the ultimate solution is ignoring the root cause of the problem (and even accelerating it)

China isn’t willing to play nicely with the rest of the world which will probably lead to armed conflict with the west anyway. Their stance on coal is starting to become moot anyway.
I’ve never said to ignore the root of the problem. What I’ve said is to face the reality of the world we live in the the players therein and also spend money on dealing with the inevitable. I believe more strongly today than ever that I have been correct.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Dominant powers usually feel threatened by rising powers. The US cites China as threat while increasing its military alliances encircling China. China sees itself threatened by encirclement and builds up its military. Easy to see where it all ends. Sad.

Dominant powers usually feel threatened by rising powers. The US cites China as threat while increasing its military alliances encircling China. China sees itself threatened by encirclement and builds up its military. Easy to see where it all ends. Sad.
Keep cashing those checks..

I’ve never said to ignore the root of the problem. What I’ve said is to face the reality of the world we live in the the players therein and also spend money on dealing with the inevitable. I believe more strongly today than ever that I have been correct.
Believe whatever you want. I just don’t believe you are appropriately estimating the scale of of cost necessary for “living with climate change”

You complain about how punitively expensive the energy transition is for us…. dealing with the symptoms Without curing the disease will be extraordinarily, mind blowingly, expensive. Both in terms of dollars and the cost of human lives.

Believe whatever you want. I just don’t believe you are appropriately estimating the scale of of cost necessary for “living with climate change”

You complain about how punitively expensive the energy transition is for us…. dealing with the symptoms Without curing the disease will be extraordinarily, mind blowingly, expensive. Both in terms of dollars and the cost of human lives.
I do understand basic mathematics and believe I’ve been correct in my statement that global emissions will surge past the so-called “drop dead line” and there is zero the US can do to prevent the same. The events of the last several years have justified my prediction. That said….I assume the cost will be great. However, as I’ve said many times, we aren’t going to have an option. Mathematics tells us as much. Better start planning instead of sticking our heads in the sand. Developing nations aren’t going to cut their emissions anytime soon.

I do understand basic mathematics and believe I’ve been correct in my statement that global emissions will surge past the so-called “drop dead line” and there is zero the US can do to prevent the same. The events of the last several years have justified my prediction. That said….I assume the cost will be great. However, as I’ve said many times, we aren’t going to have an option. Mathematics tells us as much. Better start planning instead of sticking our heads in the sand. Developing nations aren’t going to cut their emissions anytime soon.
You can’t just keep putting gauze on the hemorrhaging wound. Yes, China and others are not helping. If you want to survive, you have to make them fall in line by whatever means necessary. Yes, you might have to live with higher temperatures… but the magnitude of the temperature rise is largely determined by us addressing the cause of the problem, not just handing everyone an ice cube to keep themselves cool.

If your proposed solution ignores addressing the root cause then it’s not a solution.

You can’t just keep putting gauze on the hemorrhaging wound. Yes, China and others are not helping. If you want to survive, you have to make them fall in line by whatever means necessary. Yes, you might have to live with higher temperatures… but the magnitude of the temperature rise is largely determined by us addressing the cause of the problem, not just handing everyone an ice cube to keep themselves cool.

If your proposed solution ignores addressing the root cause then it’s not a solution.
Your solution is based on us being able to “make them fall in line”. That has not, is not, and will not happen….ever. As such, your solution has zero chance of success. Something I’ve been saying for years. Imagine a world where China approved the construction of over 100 coal fired plants last year. The most since 2015. These plants are going to emit tons of CO2 for years. Yeah….we’re going to force them to fall in line. 😂. It is what it is. We better plan accordingly.

Your solution is based on us being able to “make them fall in line”. That has not, is not, and will not happen….ever. As such, your solution has zero chance of success. Something I’ve been saying for years. Imagine a world where China approved the construction of over 100 coal fired plants last year. The most since 2015. These plants are going to emit tons of CO2 for years. Yeah….we’re going to force them to fall in line. 😂. It is what it is. We better plan accordingly.
Apparently he's ready to go to war over it.

Then you better kiss your butt goodbye (or tell your children to kiss theirs) because you’re out of options. There is no “plan accordingly” unless you’re talking about colonizing and cannibalizing another planet, which is basically the plot of Interstellar.

Honestly, I think that’s partially what has led to declining birth rates across much of the globe.

We aligned our entire country for 50 years to fight the dangers of communism…. no idea when faced with an existential crisis the likes of which humanity has never dealt with, we just say “well China wont stop building coal plants so I guess we’ll have to let them. Oh by the way does it feel hot in this room to you?“

Last edited:
This is obviously our fault but just fyi at what China is doing :

Then you better kiss your butt goodbye (or tell your children to kiss theirs) because you’re out of options. There is no “plan accordingly” unless you’re talking about colonizing and cannibalizing another planet, which is basically the plot of Interstellar.

Honestly, I think that’s partially what has led to declining birth rates across much of the globe.

We aligned our entire country for 50 years to fight the dangers of communism…. no idea when faced with an existential crisis the likes of which humanity has never dealt with, we just say “well China wont stop building coal plants so I guess we’ll have to let them. Oh by the way does it feel hot in this room to you?“
I’m 100% confident my butt is going to be just fine. Assume my kids will be as well but that is more up in the air. I continue to believe the greatest immediate threat to humanity is the release of a genetically engineered virus. Might be able to add AI to that shortly.

The only solution I see to prevent China from bringing hundreds of new coal fired plants online in the coming years is to bomb them. No chance a U.S. President is giving that order. It is what it is.

I’m 100% confident my butt is going to be just fine. Assume my kids will be as well but that is more up in the air. I continue to believe the greatest immediate threat to humanity is the release of a genetically engineered virus. Might be able to add AI to that shortly.

The only solution I see to prevent China from bringing hundreds of new coal fired plants online in the coming years is to bomb them. No chance a U.S. President is giving that order. It is what it is.
AI is overblown in terms of danger other than it taking jobs. Global armed conflicts and migrant crises due to changing climates are practically inevitable.

Globally we are seeing quite a few more significant drought events than we have in the past. Major river systems across the globe are essentially running dry in the summertime. It’s too early to say it’s a long term trend… but it’s alarming if nothing else.

AI is in it's infancy. I'll rely on experts who are more worried & aware of it's future problems.

AI is in it's infancy. I'll rely on experts who are more worried & aware of it's future problems.
A lot of people who are commenting publicly aren’t experts at all. I direct a team that works on it every day and most of my reading the past few years has been related to it. It presents issues in terms of ethics and social implications, but it can be guard railed. We are a long long way from skynet lol.

A couple good books on the subject:

The Math of Life and Death by Kit Yates (A senior lecturer on applied mathematics and computer science at University of Bath)

The Alignment Problem by Brian Christian. A Brown graduate in Computer Science who has written a series of books on the effects the human effects of AI which a number of tech CEO’s have recommended including Musk and the CEO of Microsoft.

Currently listening to a few interviews with MIT professor Max Tegmark who was the leader behind the call for the 6 month pause that Musk and Wozniak signed on to. He’s a very, very intelligent person, but I do have a few points of contention on the strategy and philosophy that he espouses. Some of it may be me needing to learn more about AI security, but some of it has to do with the unseen implications of AI control policies being federally controlled.

Ultimately, I think the AI alignment problem is very much still in our control, though as Tegmark mentions, our runway for addressing it is starting to shorten due to the advancements in AI architecture and training. I don’t agree that AI is the most pressing, or greatest issue that humanity faces, because the climate issue we’re trying to deal with is related to finite resources and irreversible consequences that we’re already seeing the effects of. Our ability to reach an acceptable solution to ensure humanity can continue to thrive is slipping out of our hands faster due to climate than it is due to AI, and we have less control over it.

Last edited:
A lot of people who are commenting publicly aren’t experts at all. I direct a team that works on it every day and most of my reading the past few years has been related to it. It presents issues in terms of ethics and social implications, but it can be guard railed. We are a long long way from skynet lol.

A couple good books on the subject:

The Math of Life and Death by Kit Yates (A senior lecturer on applied mathematics and computer science at University of Bath)

The Alignment Problem by Brian Christian. A Brown graduate in Computer Science who has written a series of books on the effects the human effects of AI which a number of tech CEO’s have recommended including Musk and the CEO of Microsoft.

Currently listening to a few interviews with MIT professor Max Tegmark who was the leader behind the call for the 6 month pause that Musk and Wozniak signed on to. He’s a very, very intelligent person, but I do have a few points of contention on the strategy and philosophy that he espouses. Some of it may be me needing to learn more about AI security, but some of it has to do with the unseen implications of AI control policies being federally controlled.

Ultimately, I think the AI alignment problem is very much still in our control, though as Tegmark mentions, our runway for addressing it is starting to shorten due to the advancements in AI architecture and training. I don’t agree that AI is the most pressing, or greatest issue that humanity faces, because the climate issue we’re trying to deal with is related to finite resources and irreversible consequences that we’re already seeing the effects of. Our ability to reach an acceptable solution to ensure humanity can continue to thrive is slipping out of our hands faster due to climate than it is due to AI, and we have less control over it.

Just because it is slipping out of our hands faster because of climate than because of AI doesn't mean anything can be done to reverse course. We don't have control over it, but you already know that and refuse to acknowledge it.(China, India, Russia, & Africa have control over it.) You have the same argument with Lawpoke month after month. You both just find ways to restate it related to current events.

And I draw my own conclusions on AI based on what I read. I don't take yours into consideration, considering that many of your conclusions are flawed on multiple levels.

Just because it is slipping out of our hands faster because of climate than because of AI doesn't mean anything can be done to reverse course. We don't have control over it, but you already know that and refuse to acknowledge it.(China, India, Russia, & Africa have control over it.) You have the same argument with Lawpoke month after month. You both just find ways to restate it related to current events.

And I draw my own conclusions on AI based on what I read. I don't take yours into consideration, considering that many of your conclusions are flawed on multiple levels.
Lol, you mis-characterize my argument. I said specifically that there is no way to reverse course in relation to climate change. It’s a one way street…. The opposite of current AI which all resides on a bunch of servers That can be unplugged at will.

Draw your own conclusions all you want. No different than a country bumpkin who had his own flawed conclusions about Covid. As an aside, I do find it funny that you tend to blindly trust the opinions of experts in the tech field more than you do the medical field (And that goes for most Conservatives these days)

Last edited:
Lol, you mis-characterize my argument. I said specifically that there is no way to reverse course in relation to climate change. It’s a one way street…. The opposite of current AI which all resides on a bunch of servers That can be unplugged at will.

Draw your own conclusions all you want. No different than a country bumpkin who had his own flawed conclusions about Covid. As an aside, I do find it funny that you tend to blindly trust the opinions of experts in the tech field more than you do the medical field (And that goes for most Conservatives these days)
Actually you mischaracterize my argument. I was referring to reversing course on our policies, to mitigate the speed at which the problem is decaying. Which is not possible. China, India, and Africa will negate any of our efforts beneficial effects.

You haven't paid attention to my posts in the past at all. At cause I never lashed out at Fauci. He was doing the best he could with the information he had at the time. Yes the experts were going with extreme caution with their recommendations on mask wearing. It turned out that due to lax public implementation, they provided very minimal protection when they might have provided moderate protection. But minimal protection in an extreme situation is better than no protection at all. I received four vaccinations through covid. I had tests that I used 3 or 4 times, and tested negative each time. I never mistrusted the experts in the medical field.

On the blind trust of tech world, that's why their are different publications, and different experts to cross reference for any industry. You don't just trust one expert who publlshed an interview, book, or other media in one place.

done

Last edited:
reaching the debt limit.
several items should always be

OFF the table: VA benefits, SS, first responders benefits, disaster relief, border security, physical infrastructure...

ON. the table: social programs, welfare, congressional budget( let the congressmen do the work), benefits to illegals,

Pence is an example of disconnect between parental and individual’s rights and Evangelical world view.

https://flip.it/LENrj5Mike Pence left stammering when CNN host points out his hypocrisy on trans youth

Pence is an example of disconnect between parental and individual’s rights and Evangelical world view.

https://flip.it/LENrj5Mike Pence left stammering when CNN host points out his hypocrisy on trans youth
Just to be clear….do you support a parent being able to permanently change a child’s sexual parts via surgery or chemical prior to said child reaching puberty ?

Just to be clear….do you support a parent being able to permanently change a child’s sexual parts via surgery or chemical prior to said child reaching puberty ?
I believe some adolescents should be allowed to choose what gender they identify with, though I would prefer that actual surgeries be held off until they’re of legal age to consent. Some of the problem we’re having here is that kids wanted to identify as opposite genders and were not allowed to do so, partially because of the argument that their sexual parts remain from their previous genders.

Its interesting to me how many people used to identify as libertarians when the ideals were more about guns, weed, gay marriage, and fiscal conservation now don’t identify with people having personal freedoms related to their gender identity.

I believe some adolescents should be allowed to choose what gender they identify with, though I would prefer that actual surgeries be held off until they’re of legal age to consent. Some of the problem we’re having here is that kids wanted to identify as opposite genders and were not allowed to do so, partially because of the argument that their sexual parts remain from their previous genders.

Its interesting to me how many people used to identify as libertarians when the ideals were more about guns, weed, gay marriage, and fiscal conservation now don’t identify with people having personal freedoms related to their gender identity.
I have zero issues with kids identifying with the sex of their choice. My son had a 14 year old girl over to our house last night who is currently identifying as a boy. Keep in mind she’s changed her gender identity twice in the last six months. I do have an issue with allowing minors who the government says aren’t mature enough to buy chewing tobacco to permanently alter their sexual parts via surgery or chemicals. There’s a vast difference in allowing a 14 year old the freedom to identity as a particular sex and allowing them to make permanent physical changes….or moreover allowing their parents to make those changes on younger kids.

I have zero issues with kids identifying with the sex of their choice. My son had a 14 year old girl over to our house last night who is currently identifying as a boy. Keep in mind she’s changed her gender identity twice in the last six months. I do have an issue with allowing minors who the government says aren’t mature enough to buy chewing tobacco to permanently alter their sexual parts via surgery or chemicals. There’s a vast difference in allowing a 14 year old the freedom to identity as a particular sex and allowing them to make permanent physical changes….or moreover allowing their parents to make those changes on younger kids.
they arent mature enough to drive, vote, sign some legal documents, marry, live alone, get a job, ...

I dont disagree about the surgery choice. I do also recognize that the lack of freedom to make such a decision could cause much mental anguish for some adolescents, which is unfortunate but probably prudent.

Reactions: lawpoke87
I dont disagree about the surgery choice. I do also recognize that the lack of freedom to make such a decision could cause much mental anguish for some adolescents, which is unfortunate but probably prudent.
dress and act as you wish, but no medical treatement until 18, ...

How do we feel about hormone therapy? Do we consider that to be of lesser consequence than surgery, and that maybe parents should be allowed to sign off on it for minors?

Reactions: drboobay
How do we feel about hormone therapy? Do we consider that to be of lesser consequence than surgery, and that maybe parents should be allowed to sign off on it for minors?
As some of the effects from hormone therapy are permanent I would set a minimum age for the same. I would throw out 15-16 year of age for discussion. I acknowledged it’s difficult to take into consideration what’s best for the child while understanding that same child possibly lacks the maturity to make permanent life altering decisions. There’s an argument to be made for both sides.

You?

As some of the effects from hormone therapy are permanent I would set a minimum age for the same. I would throw out 15-16 year of age for discussion. I acknowledged it’s difficult to take into consideration what’s best for the child while understanding that same child possibly lacks the maturity to make permanent life altering decisions. There’s an argument to be made for both sides.

You?
I see your point… I would assert that teens have been choosing to deface their body without their parents permission for generations now. Kids getting tattoos behind their parents back for instance. It might be personal preference but I would rather the kid deface their body in a managed way with the consultation of a doctor than in an uncontrolled manner via self harm / cutting which has been a worse trend than many people realize for the past couple decades.

Last edited:
I see your point… I would assert that teens have been choosing to deface their body without their parents permission for generations now. Kids getting tattoos behind their parents back for instance. It might be personal preference but I would rather the kid deface their body in a managed way with the consultation of a doctor than in an uncontrolled manner via self harm / cutting which has been a worse trend than many people realize for the past couple decades.
It is illegal in every state for anyone to give a child under 18 a tattoo. The reasoning is the same with tobacco and other age restricted activities. Minors often lack good judgment.

If the drugs taken have no permanent effects my opinion does somewhat change here.

Last edited:
It is illegal in every state for anyone to give a child under 18 a tattoo. The reasoning is the same with tobacco and other age restricted activities. Minors often lack good judgment.

If the drugs taken have no permanent effects my opinion does somewhat change here.
It’s illegal in every state to do so…without the consent of a parent*** Some states do allow it with parental consent.

Last edited:
AI is overblown in terms of danger other than it taking jobs. Global armed conflicts and migrant crises due to changing climates are practically inevitable.

Globally we are seeing quite a few more significant drought events than we have in the past. Major river systems across the globe are essentially running dry in the summertime. It’s too early to say it’s a long term trend… but it’s alarming if nothing else.
I do think there are real problems, but "AI taking all the jobs" is actually the least of my main concerns.

The biggest threats I see are security based. Think along these lines: extremely convincing phishing scams to start with, then effective hacking of major financial companies that zero out account balances and wipe out records, or other hostile takeover of critical digital infrastructure. It could perpetrate fraud on a truly massive scale. AI could be trained to relentlessly hack systems more effectively and efficiently than humans, it can be used by a state actor to generate deepfakes that can lead to major media outlets reporting on fake stories, or not reporting on real stories. To disrupt flights or power grids anonymously. It could be incredibly disruptive in the not-so-distant future.

I don't think you stop all that by "pausing" the good faith research domestically. I think you have to keep researching it and learn as much as you can about the technology if for no other reason than to learn how to adequately defend against it if you can.

Reactions: watu05
Isn't Pence's point that he knows better than parents and that his evangelically driven view should be enforced on all families? In school districts across the country parents are asserting that in the area of sex and gender, parents have the final say, even as to what books are in a school or public library. Yet when it comes to far more personal and individual decisions, only the evangelical view is acceptable?

As for gender altering surgery without consulting a doctor, how does a teen do that? Even hormone therapy would most likely require a doctors prescription, especially for a routine that would have permanent affects.

The fact that a
Isn't Pence's point that he knows better than parents and that his evangelically driven view should be enforced on all families? In school districts across the country parents are asserting that in the area of sex and gender, parents have the final say, even as to what books are in a school or public library. Yet when it comes to far more personal and individual decisions, only the evangelical view is acceptable?

As for gender altering surgery without consulting a doctor, how does a teen do that? Even hormone therapy would most likely require a doctors prescription, especially for a routine that would have permanent affect
The fact that a doctor is willing to remove the genitalia of a 14 year old boy he’s met once (maybe twice) in exchange for $10k does not persuade me. Society protects children from themselves and others for a reason. Whether it’s contract law or prohibiting the purchase of certain products and services.

You?
Sensible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT