ADVERTISEMENT

This is the Democratic Party.

So you are conceding my point..
In the strictest definition of the word the earth and the moon do not create energy, but interact with the energy from the sun and help transmit it. But it's not the original energy that is renewed. Energy that is given from the sun repetitively is renewable as in it will be given for a long time. It is transmitted in a lower state, for a finite time, and for that finite time, it is renewable. It is like a subscription from the Sun. Something can be renewable for a year, or a decade, or a century, or a millennia or a...

All this conversation over your anal vexations. This bored me a long time ago.

Last edited:
Arguing that there is no true "renewable" energy because of the inevitable heat death of the universe is certainly... something.

"Renewable" in this sense isn't supposed to mean "perpetual energy machine," it just means "The source of the energy doesn't deplete according to usage." If you are too hung up on the precise meaning of "renewable" in this context, we can call it "sustainable" energy instead. Some people do.

It's a silly semantic point at best, to the extent that I am not sure what noble's point actually is.

To belabor it: When you burn coal, it's gone. Or at least, it does not replenish itself on anything but geologic timescales. Unlike fossil fuels, the potential available energy from solar radiation is completely independent of our usage of it. More sunlight just keeps shining, using some doesn't make it unavailable in the future. In that sense, it is absolutely appropriate to call it "renewable."

Interesting discussion. Curious as to where you guys fall on nuclear fuel as being a renewable based on Clong’s definition ?

I wouldn't call it "renewable" as it is a fuel that gets burned and can be depleted, but it is definitely clean and sustainable for a long time.
“clean“ if you adequately contain and dispose of the waste product left behind… but certainly cleaner than some other methods of energy generation on the aggregate.

“clean“ if you adequately contain and dispose of the waste product left behind… but certainly cleaner than some other methods of energy generation on the aggregate.
There is toxic waste, but that is mostly a political problem. For starters, we are bound by treaty to not reprocess our waste, and thus we generate a lot more of it than is necessary, and a lot more of it than other countries do. The way we do it now, it is kind of like throwing away a rechargeable battery after draining it the first time. It is 100% possible to address safety concerns with current technology, but sometimes the political will isn't there to do it right (Chernobyl), or the operator cuts corners due to cost, gambling that a worst case scenario will never happen (Fukushima). If any industry deserves oppressive regulatory oversight, it is the nuclear power industry. The risks are admittedly high, but it remains the best base load solution with zero carbon emissions.

The storage isn't really that hard, just another political mess. Our one underground facility for storing waste (WIPP) had to be out of commission for a couple of years after a barrel of nuclear waste exploded and contaminated everything underground. But it worked perfectly from another point of view: There was no radiological release above ground, and the barrel exploded safely underground. If anything, this highlights the need for more capacity, but some activists have used the incident to try and shut down underground storage. This is completely backwards in my view as if that barrel had been above ground, it would have been an environmental and public health catastrophe.

Also, that particular barrel came from Los Alamos National Lab, and wasn't related to nuclear waste streams from power production, but from weapons. Someone used the wrong type of kitty litter (yes, seriously) as an add-in and it caused a chemical reaction. Edit: Point there is, even if we abandon nuclear power, unless we also abandon nuclear weapons the waste stream issue still exists and must be dealt with. And as much as I would love to be out of a job because the entire world disarmed their nukes and sang kumbaya, it simply isn't happening anytime soon.

Last edited:
There is toxic waste, but that is mostly a political problem. For starters, we are bound by treaty to not reprocess our waste, and thus we generate a lot more of it than is necessary, and a lot more of it than other countries do. The way we do it now, it is kind of like throwing away a rechargeable battery after draining it the first time. It is 100% possible to address safety concerns with current technology, but sometimes the political will isn't there to do it right (Chernobyl), or the operator cuts corners due to cost, gambling that a worst case scenario will never happen (Fukushima). If any industry deserves oppressive regulatory oversight, it is the nuclear power industry. The risks are admittedly high, but it remains the best base load solution with zero carbon emissions.

The storage isn't really that hard, just another political mess. Our one underground facility for storing waste (WIPP) had to be out of commission for a couple of years after a barrel of nuclear waste exploded and contaminated everything underground. But it worked perfectly from another point of view: There was no radiological release above ground, and the barrel exploded safely underground. If anything, this highlights the need for more capacity, but some activists have used the incident to try and shut down underground storage. This is completely backwards in my view as if that barrel had been above ground, it would have been an environmental and public health catastrophe.

Also, that particular barrel came from Los Alamos National Lab, and wasn't related to nuclear waste streams from power production, but from weapons. Someone used the wrong type of kitty litter (yes, seriously) as an add-in and it caused a chemical reaction. Edit: Point there is, even if we abandon nuclear power, unless we also abandon nuclear weapons the waste stream issue still exists and must be dealt with. And as much as I would love to be out of a job because the entire world disarmed their nukes and sang kumbaya, it simply isn't happening anytime soon.
Didn't know bentonite was used in the disposal of nuclear material. Interesting. I always thought it had to be sealed in cement.

You think inflation (which the rest of the world is dealing with too) is worse than attempting to subvert a 250 year old Republican Democracy? It’s not. Not even close.
I agree with this. The totalitarian approach of President Big Red and his minions did put our system in danger and was much scarier than inflation. That by no means gives a pass to the current administration's many missteps.

I agree with this. The totalitarian approach of President Big Red and his minions did put our system in danger and was much scarier than inflation. That by no means gives a pass to the current administration's many missteps.
I prefer to call him Big Orange. Ask Andy Griffith about that.

nothing worse than than elected oficials using their position for partician party politics.

California want to impose a "rich" tax. They want it to also apply to pepople who have moved out of their state.

Looks like we now need to refrain from using “THE” in front of groups of people. On a side note….how far left has the AP turned in recent years. (I do apologize for the use of “the” in front of AP)

So now they are battling THE contextual with THE groups. How quickly will they swoop down on THESE.

Good news:
“We used to invest 2 percent of our GDP in research and development…. But about 25 years ago we stopped.” Investment dropped to 0.7 percent of GDP, the CHIPS and Science Act will jump-start that research and development again.

The administration is bringing supply chains home and rebuilding foreign alliances.

The new jobs report issued by the Bureau of Labor Statistics showed an astonishing 517,000 new jobs added in January, the twenty-fifth straight month of job growth. Unemployment fell slightly to 3.4%, a low last seen in May 1969 (not a typo).

still we have record inflation, high gas prices, supply chaige shortages, mounting layoffs, ...
It's not record inflation, although it's not nothing either.

Gas prices have ticked higher, but have not spiked to the level they could have considering the fact we oversaw a coompete global rebalance of the oil and gas market caused by Putin's war in Ukraine.

Supply Chain had a lot to do with China having Covid restrictions. Let's see what them opening up does for us.

Layoffs have mostly been restricted to the tech sector which was bloated after Covid Lockdowns forced a digital transformation.

Do you have anything else?

Gas prices have ticked higher, but have not spiked to the level they could have considering the fact we oversaw a coompete global rebalance of the oil and gas market caused by Putin's war in Ukraine.

Supply Chain had a lot to do with China having Covid restrictions. Let's see what them opening up does for us.

Layoffs have mostly been restricted to the tech sector which was bloated after Covid Lockdowns forced a digital transformation.

It’s a mixed report. You guys are ignoring one of the most important numbers….wage growth. Which has slowed from 4.4% to 3.7% and continues to run well below inflation. Americans continue to lose ground. However, the declining wage growth is good news for inflation even though the American worker continues to suffer. Hopefully the Fed can end this cycle of raising rates. I believe it’s time. The focus now needs to be on real wages and the declining middle class. Credit card debt is also worrisome as it continues to rapidly rise as wages aren’t keeping pace with inflation. Expect defaults to rapidly rise. The prospect of a soft landing is increasing.

Reactions: TUMU and Gmoney4WW

record inflation ssy the economist
high gas prices not russia, biden energy policy

supply chain, paying people for non work.

layoff, all of the above

record inflation ssy the economist
high gas prices not russia, biden energy policy

supply chain, paying people for non work.

layoff, all of the above
Not even worth the single ply piece of toilet paper this was written on. Same thing on repeat.

It’s a mixed report. You guys are ignoring one of the most important numbers….wage growth. Which has slowed from 4.4% to 3.7% and continues to run well below inflation. Americans continue to lose ground. However, the declining wage growth is good news for inflation even though the American worker continues to suffer. Hopefully the Fed can end this cycle of raising rates. I believe it’s time. The focus now needs to be on real wages and the declining middle class. Credit card debt is also worrisome as it continues to rapidly rise as wages aren’t keeping pace with inflation. Expect defaults to rapidly rise. The prospect of a soft landing is increasing.
Don’t disagree with any of this. Looks like we might be able to get out of this thing alive… now on to improving the quality of life.

Reactions: lawpoke87
check your grocery bill. water bill. gas bill, elecrric bill, your 401k, and your tax bill.
Ha, ha. He's waiting for his grocery bill to go down.

Prices don't go down on most consumer goods. Your grocery bill will not drop. The wages will just catch up to the inflation.

Prices don't go down on most consumer goods. Your grocery bill will not drop. The wages will just catch up to the inflation.
im retired. just two of us. groceries are $250.00 -$300.00 a week.. up til 2021 they were less than $200.00 and the included feeding the grand kids.

I hope you’re correct. Wages have dropped so far below inflation there’s a huge margin to makeup to get us back to where we were a couple of years ago. Not sure we see wave growth running that far ahead of inflation for the period of time it would take to make up the difference.

I hope you’re correct. Wages have dropped so far below inflation there’s a huge margin to makeup to get us back to where we were a couple of years ago. Not sure we see wave growth running that far ahead of inflation for the period of time it would take to make up the difference.
I didn't say how long it would take for wages to catch up. I just said you probably won't see consumer good's prices go down.

Last edited:
I didn't say how long it would take for wages to catch up. I just said you probably won't see consumer prices go down.
Gotcha. I do agree wages will catch up to actual inflation. I’m much less confident we get back to adjusted media income numbers we saw several years ago anytime soon. Hope I’m wrong

Wasn’t sure where to post this but thought it was a good (and sad) topic. Educational system in the US is not working for many american children

I find it odd that there are only 2000 students in K-12 in Baltimore? Did they not test all of the students? That seems like a low #.

I find it odd that there are only 2000 students in K-12 in Baltimore? Did they not test all of the students? That seems like a low #.
I read it as 2000 students in the 23 referenced schools took the math test. There are 150 schools in Baltimore.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT