ADVERTISEMENT

The Ethics of the Montgomery Offense

HuffyCane

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 25, 2004
Corey Taylor made me stop and think last night.

There are many positives about the training requirements and practice goals that players must meet to actually see the field in college. They learn lessons that last them a lifetime. Sacrifice. Mental concentration under stress. Teamwork. Coaches try to make us believe that they are coaching to teach these lessons. That's the line they give and the hook is the millions they make and dont share.

In some cases, mind set actually kills people, whether it is a player on the field at Maryland or a student manager clinging for his life and begging for help via twitter while on top of a riser in 25 mph winds at Notre Dame. Many of us have become desensitized to the brutality we know goes on. And if you've ever played any sport at any level where wins and pride actually matters, you come to miss being pushed to your physical limits when you have grown older.

We've raised our awareness of concussions and we've become accustomed to equipment, rule, and technique changes designed to better protect some of the players on the field, but certainly not all. But those changes are designed to protect players from the long term effects of CTE. They do not protect players from the immediate dangers of the game.

That's because, in the end, nothing can shield players from the brutality of game situations. This brutality has only increased as the average weight of a lineman has grown by 200 lbs since the basic rules were formulated. Not to mention the speed at which 220 lbs can hit you at the linebacker position after five years of scientifically monitored training and nutrition. "Pop" Warner never imagined Ed Oliver on the loose.

By the time the players are in college, they are presumed to be old enough to know the risks and they accept those risks in exchange for a bounty of benefits (but no pay). But last night made me wonder if this consent is coerced.

Perhaps not the insidious coercion that you see portrayed by coaches in movies like Varsity Blues or The Program. But a silent petit coercion that is born from a desire to win, to continue making millions, pride in a system considered proprietary, and a refusal to question the values the coaching staff was brought up in.

In short, yes the game is brutal, but what if an offensive system, or set of offensive game plans, is so flawed that it knowingly or unknowingly causes players injuries they would avoid if any other system or game plan was used.

In short, what if the Montgomery philosophy injures players, specifically running backs?

At what point do we recognize, if the administration and the staff refuse to do so, that this system may be hazardous to the immediate well being of the players being asked to run it.

First there was James Flanders, who was often injured when he played for Montgomery. We were down to a walk-on RB5 at one point in the 10-3 season due to injuries and a suspension. Then the injuries to DeAngelo Brewer, Taylor and Brooks last year. With Brooks down this game, Taylor was made to plunge into a line shortly after begging to exit the game, clearly exhausted, and basically unable to protect himself. We are all lucky he was not further injured on that play.

There's been some discussion in other threads that the coaching staff must not have seen him asking to come out and it was an honest mistake. But such an "honest mistake" was the product of a system that runs aims to run 40 to 60 running plays a game with little or no break between many of those runs. I want to believe that they did not know he was injured because I do not want to believe that they knew he was injured and forced him to play.

That means they likely did not see he was injured because they were more worried about snapping the ball and the tactics needed to exhaust the other team and win the game. Did they make an "honest mistake" because the system and tactics forced that outcome? Is the system itself an "honest mistake"?

At what point do people step in and suggest that we aren't looking at the larger picture? At a certain point, you begin not only to question the outcome of coaching decisions on player's short and long term health, but also the environment of coercion that prevented Corey Taylor from taking one knee and stopping that game.

Players want to play. They lie and play hurt. Simple fact. But they are also under tremendous pressure to play hurt to avoid losing the opportunity to play at all. They are expected to perform to retain their scholarship - a prize worth $300,000 these days. For a 20 year old, there is the pressure we all remember to avoid looking weak. For others, the most important part of playing through injury is not letting your friends down. Most players know that you train all year and only get 12 chances to play. You are not going to sit and lose the opportunity you worked for. For many, these coaches are the only authority figure they have respected in their lives and the only ones that offered them a chance to play big boy ball. Their parents drove long distances and are in the stands. And then a few play for the perks, the girls, etc. The perks are sparse on the bench.

Corey couldn't come out because there was no one else to do the job in that situation. He did his best. But the play call, the system, and his individual motivations coerced him into risking grave injury, at least from my viewpoint.

Boomer, a young inexperienced QB, could have refused to take a snap and protected his teammate. But he was doing what he was told in the time pressure created by the coaching staff. Even if he knew that Taylor was too hurt to go, it is unlikely a first time starter would risk benching for burning the final timeout with the team down and trying to drive. But Boomer doesnt snap that ball without a play being signaled in. The coaching staff could have and should have stopped that game. They should be operating in a manner that protects the players first. They should be the parent.

After three seasons of injuries not caused by single catastrophic plays, but the cumulative effects on several different player of a physical running attack being intentional employed at the point of exhaustion, it is becoming a fair question whether it is prudent for this to continue.

I started this season thinking that it was unwise to run 100 plays if 80 of them were productive and the other 20 lead to injuries and turnovers. I'm starting to think it is unethical to do so too.

Food for thought.

Thoughtful replies always appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: maverickfp
I don’t think anyone on our sideline saw Taylor’s signal and with the play clock running down he felt forced to stay in. I wouldn’t expect any coach to intentionally hurt their only starting level running back or to let them play hurt.

That being said, our system is hard on RB’s. They get a ton of carries and if the guy in front of them goes down, it’s even tougher on them. The best thing you can do is try to have a large RB stable that’s really talented, but it’s always going to be tough to convince star RB#3 and 4 that their time is going to come. In the end it probably comes down to the RB’s know what they’re singing up for when they are promised playing time and a ton of touches coming out of HS. I don’t love it, but I can live with it.

. I don’t love it, but I can live with it.
Because it is entertainment to you. You aren't taking the beating or watching it happen to your kid. Or paying for the knee replacements at 40 and the 1600mg of Advil a day until your kidneys give out at age 50 or you crush Oxy just to sleep. Football is brutal enough without running a system that might make it dangerous.

I wouldn’t expect any coach to intentionally hurt their only starting level running back or to let them play hurt.
Does it become intentional after the same type of injuries 5 seasons in a row? 10? He might not be making coaching decisions knowingly for the purpose of putting his players at risk. But he may very well be intentionally making play calls because he knows if Brewer plays hurt until he is injured and cant continue, he's got Brooks on the sideline. Personally, I very much doubt that is the case, but if he is not doing that, he may be refusing to change out of an offensive mind set that has that unintended result. Over a period of time, if you ignore that result or fail to change it, you are acting intentionally in my book.

Does it become intentional after the same type of injuries 5 seasons in a row? 10? He might not be making coaching decisions knowingly for the purpose of putting his players at risk. But he may very well be intentionally making play calls because he knows if Brewer plays hurt until he is injured and cant continue, he's got Brooks on the sideline. Personally, I very much doubt that is the case, but if he is not doing that, he may be refusing to change out of an offensive mind set that has that unintended result. Over a period of time, if you ignore that result or fail to change it, you are acting intentionally in my book.

I have to say that if we had people training and lifting weights and repetitive injuries we would look at changing metheods.

I don't know if Monty's system does set this up, but there is at least an argument for it. Good post and definitely something we have to look at. There is sky diving and then there is base jumping one is much riskier than the other though essentially the same.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Is it Monty’s system per se or the running style of the running backs he seems to recruit and play? Our backs seem to lack the speed and quickness to avoid contact. They run hard (very hard) but that style invites collisions. Would be nice to have a back with 4.5 speed and exceptional quickness for a change of pace. One who could make grades to be precise.

Is it Monty’s system per se or the running style of the running backs he seems to recruit and play? Our backs seem to lack the speed and quickness to avoid contact. They run hard (very hard) but that style invites collisions. Would be nice to have a back with 4.5 speed and exceptional quickness for a change of pace. One who could make grades to be precise.

It seems we usually have two styles of backs, a shifty quick guy with a good burst and a strong back who runs through contact.

If it's a system problem it may be that they don't rotate enough in the quick pace offense we run. Players tend to experience more injuries when fatigued.

Because it is entertainment to you. You aren't taking the beating or watching it happen to your kid. Or paying for the knee replacements at 40 and the 1600mg of Advil a day until your kidneys give out at age 50 or you crush Oxy just to sleep. Football is brutal enough without running a system that might make it dangerous.
I don’t disagree at all. But it’s not like other teams stopped running run-heavy systems in the 80’s and 90’s because of injuries... they did it because they realized there were some better passing offenses out there that were more efficient. I think the NCAA is actually moving towards a run heavy offense combined with a passing attack. It may not be the exact same as monty’s but people are going to see the stats that the system has put up (us, Houston, USF, Baylor, Syracuse) and they’re going to adopt it.

I feel sorry for the RB’s but they know the load they’re signing up for. They’re not playing for mike leach and getting 15 touches a game. If they’d like to do that they can try to find a better suited system, we’re not press ganging running backs to come to Tulsa.

This ain’t 7 man, flag or 2 below touch... no matter how our defense tackles.

When the game is played properly the RB and MLB get punished. That’s why the great ones are in the HOF.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT