ADVERTISEMENT

Taxing Grad Students

Clong83a

I.T.S. Senior
Nov 15, 2014
Thought I'd post this... Write your congressman if you agree this is a bad idea.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/starts...e&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark#6c10cd5d3d2f
https://www.forbes.com/sites/starts...e&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark#6c10cd5d3d2f
The gist of it is that under the new tax plan, tuition waivers for graduate school will be taxed as income. That might not sound like a big deal, but here is some background:

The vast majority of graduate students (STEM, in particular) in the US do not pay tuition. Instead, they teach for the university as a TA or perform research in a laboratory. The school grants them a tuition waiver and a small stipend in return. The stipend is usually around 20-25k/year, and the tuition waiver is valued at the cost of tuition, obviously. This can be upwards of 50k/year, even at a state school. When I was a grad student at UC San Diego, I believe mine was valued at around 40k or so, and my stipend was 22k/year. Currently, you do not pay taxes on the tuition waiver, only your actual income (ie, the 20-25k that you make). The proposal in congress would force you to pay taxes on your tuition waiver as well. This means that if I were still in grad school today and the law were to take effect, I would be earning about 22k/year, but paying taxes on around 60k. Effectively, I'd be paying around 7k in taxes on a 22k income, leaving me with almost nothing to survive on (around 15k).

To those who would suggest getting another job or some such, usually you have to sign a contract with the university that says you will not seek other employment. Not that you have time anyways, as it basically took 60 hours of work a week for four years for me to get my Ph.D. You don't have to sign that if you are paying out of pocket, of course, but that skirts the tuition waiver problem and relies on significant outside financial assistance. Loans are not the answer, because as someone who receives a tuition waiver and stipend, you do not qualify for any student loans (trust me, I tried to take out a small one to help me pay the rent). With your tuition beneift, you are technically making 60k/year and do not qualify for any other kind of assistance such as food stamps, etc.

In my case, rent for a crappy 700 sqft upstairs granny flat in a terrible neighborhood was well over 50% of my income. If you think I am exaggerating or that I could have trimmed back if I wanted, I will just say that in my 4 years in that neighborhood, I witnessed murders. I witnessed prostitution. I had several homeless guys sleeping on my block. One of them took his morning bowel movement on the walkway from my house to my car every single morning. I literally walked past (and sometimes through) piles of :crap: every day to get to school. It was all worth it in the end, but taking away 1/3 of my meager income for taxes would have made it simply impossible without living on the streets.

So, as someone who has been in those trenches, and as someone who currently provides funding for graduate students at a major research university, I will tell you very plainly that this will kill graduate education in the US. Nobody will be able to afford to do it. I wouldn't have done it, and neither will anybody else unless they have significant outside financial support. If you want to ruin the academic system in this country, taxing the lifeblood (students) of the system into oblivion is the fastest way to do that.

If anyone here thinks this is a good idea, then I will simply ask one question: Logically, why don't we similarly tax undergraduate athletic scholarships? Make those students pay their fair share! After all, they receiving the same 'taxable' benefit I got, right?

In any case, I don't meant to say anything else about the tax bill, which is why I made this its own thread. In any tax overhaul, there will be winners and losers. There are obviously plenty of points to dispute in it, but I wanted to make a separate thread solely for this issue, which is the only complete deal-breaker in it that I've seen.

I hope they revisit this change. While the new provision brings the grad student who is receiving benefits in exchange for work inline with the rest of the tax code I believe there is a significant public interest here to treat that benefit as non-taxable income. I anticipate there will be a number of changes in order to get this thing passed.

Meh.

If my company provides me a car, I get taxed for imputed income.
If my company provides me with lodging, meals, entertainment etc. I get taxed for imputed income.

This might go a long way toward preventing massive student debt.

Meh.

If my company provides me with lodging, meals, entertainment etc. I get taxed for imputed income.

Not sure I understand this one. Taxing something that keeps students out of debt will prevent student debt?

Meh.

Might go a long way toward ending advanced education among all but the wealthy.

Losing free money is always hard to swallow.
It's not free money. Someone (usually not the government) is paying your tuition and a salary to you in exchange for work. Imagine that. It depends on where the professor you work for is getting their money, but the source of the money could ultimately be a corporation, a federal grant, the American Heart Institute, etc, etc. But rest assured, someone is paying your tuition and salary as your primary benefit, and they absolutely expect something in return.

Under the new deal, you have to pay taxes on the tuition as well as whatever your salary is, which is usually less than the value of the tuition. This means your taxes go way up, even though you earn below poverty wages in real terms. If you really think grad students are lazy entitled people that aren't putting their fair share in terms of taxes and value to society, then okay. You couldn't possibly be more wrong, but I won't engage someone with that point of view. Your cavalier comment and assertion that this money is "free" betrays this perception and is quite frankly insulting. Nobody works harder for less as a general class than STEM grad students.

TL;DR: Grad school is where you work like a dog, 60+ hours a week for 20k/year and a tuition waiver. The new deal will make that more like 16k/year and a tuition waiver. Yes, it sure does suck taking a massive pay cut when you already earn next to nothing. No, it wasn't handed to you for free. Grad school is not a resort where they give you free money and a Ph.D. after a few years of resting on your laurels.

So students now.must pay taxes on a sometning that used to be a freebee.
In other words, "paying their fair share"
That is a cogent argument. However, I find it ironic that you of all people are arguing for a tax increase on regular hard-working Americans. Particularly when it would discourage higher education that leads to higher paying jobs, and in turn, a broader tax base.

I hope they revisit this change. While the new provision brings the grad student who is receiving benefits in exchange for work inline with the rest of the tax code I believe there is a significant public interest here to treat that benefit as non-taxable income. I anticipate there will be a number of changes in order to get this thing passed.
Interestingly enough, if you work for a university and decide to take advantage of those tuition benefits, they are not currently taxed at the UG level (but would be under the currently proposed Senate plan for dependents), but an employee who takes grad classes, those tuition benefits do count as taxable income (at least a certain percentage of it does).

I believe it is the language used in the tuition "waiver" that has kept it from being calculated as income and is one of the loopholes that has never been closed, which is fine by me...both my wife and myself benefited from it. I don't know why the new tax reform is so hell bent on closing loopholes that will knowingly harm individuals while providing more and more breaks to large corporations, which will ultimately hurt everyone as it force adds to our budget deficit.

Our competitor economies are all investing in education, infrastructure, and research just as the US used to do to develop our amazing prosperity.

Now the Republican focus is to transfer as much of this US prosperity as possible to the 1%, by cutting back on investing in education, R&D, or even maintaining our aging infrastructure which is already 2nd world headed for 3rd world status.

Other countries are emulating what the US did to develop our economy while Republicans are just milking the cash cow, which is what you do when you no longer believe that a business is a high growth opportunity.

You do recognize that more wealth was transferred to the top 1% and we lost more of the middle class under Obama than any two term President in our history....right? It’s fine to accuse the Pubs of wanting to achieve such a transfer but Obama achieved that goal at a record rate. Such an accusation is disingenuous when you fail to mention the leader in the clubhouse.

I read today it also bans employer gifts as rewards.
No more $50 gift cards or whatever little things companies do to rewards hard work.

I read today it also bans employer gifts as rewards.
No more $50 gift cards or whatever little things companies do to rewards hard work.

I assume it taxes the gift as income? I don’t see how the Feds could actually prohibit an employer from giving employees what amounts to a bonus. On a side....if an employer keeps the gift card off the books good luck to the IRS tracking it.

Any perk, bonus or gift I ever received from my employer was subject to taxes.
You never got a gift worth more than your salary. You have never worked a job where the majority of your salary was in the form of a scholarship. It is not the same thing as a christmas bonus.

You do recognize that more wealth was transferred to the top 1% and we lost more of the middle class under Obama than any two term President in our history....right? It’s fine to accuse the Pubs of wanting to achieve such a transfer but Obama achieved that goal at a record rate. Such an accusation is disingenuous when you fail to mention the leader in the clubhouse.

Sorry that doesn't wash. That kind of selective, one note 'analysis' is just partisan whining. For example, look at the front page of today's WSJ and employment chart which point out that today's high economic growth is a result of years of growing employment since 2009. Economies do not turn on a dime, just as Trump is beneficiary of being handed a growing economy, Obama was the victim of Republican's disastrous economic policies both before and during his term.

Even if you were correct, aren't you basically justifying the Republican tax plan, economic policies and Trump executive orders? If, as you claim, the wealthy benefitted so greatly during Obama (A Republican Congress blocked his efforts to completely reverse Bush tax cuts and almost everything else), then why tip the scales father now? Clearly the wealthy were doing more than all right already.

Republicans economic policy is to cut taxes on the wealthy and build up the deficit so they use that as an excuse to cut social programs that have been paid into by the middle class and poor. That approach goes back to Regan. Remember all those promises about infrastructure, healthcare, the poor getting tired of winning? When does that start and how is it financed?

You failed to mention what is probably the biggest contributor (other than a stable dollar) to a growing economy, job and wage growth, and a rising equities market....consumer and business confidence. Two indexes which are responsible to personal spending as well as business expansion. Two indexes which have risen due to Trump’s election.

Again...I am not a fan of the current tax policies and understand they have a neglible effect on current economic growth. However, the same cannot be said for the two items I referred to above. I’m not a Trump fan but I do recognize the effect he’s had on the consumer and business environment

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxb...8/consumer-confidence-rises-in-march.amp.html

Nice tactic. When you lose an argument to facts, try to discredit the source.
I'm not discrediting the source. What I'm saying is that your claim of all your perks, bonuses, gifts is not an equivocal or an applicable comparison. It is not applicable to compare a scholarship/minimum indentured salary that is given when a person first starts out in a field to the taxation issue of your perks.

If you wanted me to attempt to discredit the source then I would ask you if you reported and paid taxes on all those perks, bonuses, and gifts. You just said they were all subject to taxation, not whether you paid the taxes. Considering that you attempting to evade that tax would be equivalent to you not paying your fair share? It would be getting a free lunch, the same as all your 'free loaders' that you moan about nonstop. That would be me attempting to discredit the source.

What a bonafide dufus. And yes I know I'm not adding to the conversation by finding another way to be amazed at your dufusness quotient but jesus you just don't stop finding new ways to be obtusely boneheaded and ignorant over and over.

And even if you paid taxes, that was simply an aside response to your dig response. It still does not address the main point of this post, which is that you made an incorrect and obtuse comparison.

You failed to mention what is probably the biggest contributor (other than a stable dollar) to a growing economy, job and wage growth, and a rising equities market....consumer and business confidence. Two indexes which are responsible to personal spending as well as business expansion. Two indexes which have risen due to Trump’s election.

BTW CPI looks like a continuation of the same trend and increasing employment:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...dence-index-rises-to-highest-level-since-2000

Again...I am not a fan of the current tax policies and understand they have a neglible effect on current economic growth. However, the same cannot be said for the two items I referred to above. I’m not a Trump fan but I do recognize the effect he’s had on the consumer and business environment

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxb...8/consumer-confidence-rises-in-march.amp.html

Sorry. You'll have to do more than point to recent two changes and say they are responsible. Just as Bush Senior's tax increase was key to Clinton's subsequent economic success (but killed his Bush's re-election), it takes time for economies to react to changes. Businesses need predictability to invest and it takes time to execute. Jobs in particular. Look at the foundation not the icing. The market can jump around, but it's not the economy.

BTW CPI looks like a continuation of the same trend as increasing employment established under Obama. See chart in this article. It's almost regained where it was when Clinton left office.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...dence-index-rises-to-highest-level-since-2000

Since you are not a "fan" of the tax plan, what elements aren't you fan of?

Last edited:
Just as Bush Senior's tax increase was key to Clinton's subsequent economic success (but killed his Bush's re-election), it takes time for economies to react to changes.
Presidents are always given credit for the economy when it is lagging behind often to the credit of the last President. Or it's market changes that have nothing to do with any President that is or has been in office. Too much credit or misappropriated credit!

What if I think neither president should get credit for the economy because they have very little chance to influence it outside of passing particularly burdensome legislation

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Presidents are always given credit for the economy when it is lagging behind often to the credit of the last President. Or it's market changes that have nothing to do with any President that is or has been in office. Too much credit or misappropriated credit!

Agreed . Governments can screw things up. The Bush tax cuts, repealing Glass-Steagall, invading Iraq, all had long term economic consequences and involved presidential actions. OTOH Bernanke doesn't get the credit he deserves for his managing the financial system after the 2008 crash when Congress refused to provide sufficient stimulus. Amazing how people have forgotten the fear and pain of that crash as well as the potential for disaster.

Agreed . Governments can screw things up. The Bush tax cuts, repealing Glass-Steagall, invading Iraq, all had long term economic consequences and involved presidential actions. OTOH Bernanke doesn't get the credit he deserves for his managing the financial system after the 2008 crash when Congress refused to provide sufficient stimulus. Amazing how people have forgotten the fear and pain of that crash as well as the potential for disaster.

But remember guys, the Obamacare tax increase and laundry list of new regulations had no negative effects on the economy.

Since you are not a "fan" of the tax plan, what elements aren't you fan of?

I’m on record as not a fan of tax cuts with a $20T deficit. The only way this plan turns out as a positive is if it spurs growth to say 4% GDP for 2018 and 2019 which would likely result in higher tax receipts due to said growth. Said growth would also have a secondary and possibly a more longterm and important positive is it would allow the Fed to raise rates. Something which is vital if we are to combat the next downturn...and there will be one.

Obama, Bush 1, Reagan you people aren't going back far enough. A Democrat, messed it up. Andrew Jackson fired Nicholas Biddle and opened his own Bank. He exceeded his power.

Disingenuous. LOL. Somehow you ignore that the tax system responsible for it was the Bush era tax cuts and economic disaster. Obama could only hike small portions of the Bush cuts when the sunset provision kicked in due to the Republican controlled Congress. Tax cuts are the magic panacea for Republicans as they borrow money for inequitable redistribution to the wealthy but leave the debt with everyone. When things go bad, the whole country bears the downside pain for the tax cut upside to the wealthy. White collar crime.

Disingenuous. LOL. Somehow you ignore that the tax system responsible for it was the Bush era tax cuts and economic disaster. Obama could only hike small portions of the Bush cuts when the sunset provision kicked in due to the Republican controlled Congress. Tax cuts are the magic panacea for Republicans as they borrow money for inequitable redistribution to the wealthy but leave the debt with everyone. When things go bad, the whole country bears the downside pain for the tax cut upside to the wealthy. White collar crime.

You really believe the tax system was responsible for the huge transfer of wealth we saw under the Obama Administration...nice to see you blaming Bush again for Obama's failures btw. The tax system had very little to do with the growing disparity. Wealth was accumulated during the Obama years via a growing stock market. Wealth was taken away from the middle class due to wage stagnation which resulted in many in the middle class becoming the working poor. Add to that a skyrocketing health insurance expense and you have what we saw. Our tax system can do very little to maintain wealth in the middle class when their wages are dropping and living expenses are rising.

I do agree with Ma in that I would have liked to have seen that money spent on developing industries instead of war. His argument has zero to do with the tax code btw and everything to do with expenditures and priorities.

Last edited:

Do you know any other songs?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT