ADVERTISEMENT

SMU thread?

We had our recipe for success figured out before FAU but then something obviously went badly wrong. We did things on O that were completely different than what had worked against Temple and NIU. And after that game, the D seemed to say, F it, why bother.

Question is, can Wilson get us back to where we were with Temple? If so, we'll win 3 of our last 4, finish with 6 wins and go to a bowl - where, if the Lord has mercy, we will match up against a lower tier MAC team who we can keep under 50.
We are all TU fans , underdog lovers , but TU has no business going to any bowl game.
No matter what bottom tier level is available . Both lines are ineffective and Braxton
is a poor passer . If you saw Rice's QB on intermediate & long pass plays , he threw to
a spot for the receivers running routes . TU quarterbacks show their inexperience by waiting for receivers
to get wide open before releasing the ball . The problem is when you have no running attack
the D-Line just tees off with stunts & blitzes.

We are all TU fans , underdog lovers , but TU has no business going to any bowl game.
No matter what bottom tier level is available . Both lines are ineffective and Braxton
is a poor passer . If you saw Rice's QB on intermediate & long pass plays , he threw to
a spot for the receivers running routes . TU quarterbacks show their inexperience by waiting for receivers
to get wide open before releasing the ball . The problem is when you have no running attack
the D-Line just tees off with stunts & blitzes.
I don't know, if we get bowl eligible, it means we showed the grit to pull things together after what I think we can all agree has been a bit of a rough stretch and that we beat UNT. If we beat UNT, I like our chances against a 6-6 or 7-5 MAC team or similar opponent. And it would give us some momentum going into next year. Would I answer "2023" to the question "which TU team are you the proudest of?" No. But if there are 84 teams out of 130 playing in bowls, our participation wouldn't be any more embarrassing than a lot of other teams...

That said, I can't disagree with a word you say.

Reactions: loca2874
I don't know, if we get bowl eligible, it means we showed the grit to pull things together after what I think we can all agree has been a bit of a rough stretch and that we beat UNT. If we beat UNT, I like our chances against a 6-6 or 7-5 MAC team or similar opponent. And it would give us some momentum going into next year. Would I answer "2023" to the question "which TU team are you the proudest of?" No. But if there are 84 teams out of 130 playing in bowls, our participation wouldn't be any more embarrassing than a lot of other teams...

That said, I can't disagree with a word you say.
If we pull out six wins, it is because of a very weak second half of our opponents. I would not be confident of a win in a bowl game unless we pull a bid against a very weak team from the MAC. Maybe that gives confidence next year, maybe not. But I don't have much confidence of a win against N Texas, which would make it a moot point. Our OL and quarterbacks don't make that a very likely scenario.

Reactions: loca2874
If we pull out six wins, it is because of a very weak second half of our opponents. I would not be confident of a win in a bowl game unless we pull a bid against a very weak team from the MAC. Maybe that gives confidence next year, maybe not. But I don't have much confidence of a win against N Texas, which would make it a moot point. Our OL and quarterbacks don't make that a very likely scenario.
Everybody in lower conferences plays a lot of crap teams. The MAC likely will have 6 bowl eligible teams, NIU would be #4 so we could get one of the team that's worse than NIU. I like our chances against Western Kentucky if we got a CUSA team. There are plenty of teams worse than us in bowls. Well, maybe not plenty but some, and assuming ESPN doesn't want to air a 77-10 game, they'll put us against some equally scrub team.

But we have to earn it against N Texas. If we can do that, then I think we would be ok in the right bowl. Of course, we might well lose to Charlotte and emphatically end all discussion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT