ADVERTISEMENT

SMU game thread

Almost 18 years... must get to 2000 messages before February 10th.

From what I have seen this year out of this team, i firmly believe we could easily win anywhere from 0-7 of them.

I'll go you one better... I think we could almost win all of those games. Some will be over before kick-off and others won't be over until Monty starts turtling it...

Reactions: maverickfp
Looks like ESPN will have Tulsa featured on the college highlights.....for all the wrong reasons. I have never said anything against Montgomery but there is something missing....if Tulsa doesn't end the season bowl eligible, then its time to look for a new head coach. It would seem that, after being head coach for four years, that the roster would have a competent field goal kicker. The players deserved better than this....

Unless Rainey is seriously hurt
Why would you send out the guy who never kicked in a real game???
So you didn't see him go to the sideline with a severe limp.(or another shot of him 4 or 5 minutes later with that same limp) Whatever.

Rainey is a Dandy .
Why in the world wouldn’t we have a scholarship kicker ?

I believe we did and he got hurt, then his backup got hurt as well. So I give the kid a pass because it never should have come down to him

i'm melting with the rest of the facebook crew on the tulsa page too. we here aren't the only ones calling for monty's head and seeing the obvious.
I'm tired of the same crap of "oh well we gave it a great effort and it was close herrr derr derr..." No. Stop. Either he wins the games or he gets fired.

If we keep coaches like Monty around in 5 years the fball program will be gone or we might be playing D - 2 fball...

Seems ironic in that in a time frame where the basketball and football programs have been wanting, our BB Coach, FB Coach, and AD are knocking down very high salaries. If TU administration is determined not to change things, at lease we should be doing it with lower salaries.

The lesson here is not to hire AD from G4 conference.

Tulsa is in a superb and rapidly improving conference. TU administration simply cannot let things go on like they are in basketball and football.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
I love our Defense which plays lights out for 3 quarters & then kind of folds their tent. Happened against Wyoming & now Smoo. Is it conditioning? Not enough depth? Gillespie's calls after half-time or lack thereof? I just don't know but getting tired of seeing it.

I love our Defense which plays lights out for 3 quarters & then kind of folds their tent. Happened against Wyoming & now Smoo. Is it conditioning? Not enough depth? Gillespie's calls after half-time or lack thereof? I just don't know but getting tired of seeing it.

I think the play calling on offense may have gotten everyone thinking instead of just playing.
Once the offense was taken out of rhythm to milk clock (50/50 call IMO) everything fell apart.

Still no clue why we went for 7 in OT.
First down, maybe. They weren’t expecting it.
2nd and 3rd should’ve been T.K. behind a lead blocker running inside to establish better FG position. Especially knowing the starting kicker was injured.

Still don’t know how he got hurt.

I've been wondering the same thing. The defense sure looked tired to me in OT (which happens). I wonder if we're just not rotating enough guys during the game to give our starters rest?

The defense did their part and more. SMU was on the ropes and one more score would have finished them. SMU loads up the box and Smith is shredding their secondary and then TU starts the bull:crap: one yard runs up the middle on 1st and 2nd down . No passes to the tight end or running backs...not one damn pass the whole game . By the way , we had two great field goal kickers in the past in Redford Jones and Kevin Fitzpatrick and now we have no one , he wouldn’t kick for a good high school team. Unbelievable letdown .

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
The defense was tired because SMU had a 19 play drive in the 3rd qtr. Including 8 tries inside the 5 yard line. I knew right then we were in trouble. When they cut the score to 30-23, I left the stadium because I knew what was coming and couldn't stomach it!!

I really feel for our players today....they didn't deserve that. Monty is just not very smart and makes the same mistakes over and over and over and over and over and over and over.......

No knock on our defense, I think they played extremely well, but everytime I saw us bringing 3 down linemen, and only 3. I couldnt help but think "well here comes a first down.

Reactions: TU_BLA
No knock on our defense, I think they played extremely well, but everytime I saw us bringing 3 down linemen, and only 3. I couldnt help but think "well here comes a first down.
Ya. 3rd and 20 from the 10. We rush 3 and single coverage on wide out and he has to PI trying to save a first down or more. How is wide out not doublecovered when we are playing 8 man back?

Not a good weekend for my teams. The Cardinals were up 2 TDs with 4 minutes left and now it's tied.

Maybe the poorest coaching job ever by a TU headcoach....
Let’s not forget Burns. There was some incredibly poor coaching going on during his days. Additionally, He alienated all of the local HS coaches and about everyone he ever came in contact with. The current situation is frustrating because Monty is likable, but unfortunately he can’t cover both jobs and our AD isn’t willing to set him down and tell him these are your options if you want to continue to coach here.

Let’s not forget Burns. There was some incredibly poor coaching going on during his days. Additionally, He alienated all of the local HS coaches and about everyone he ever came in contact with. The current situation is frustrating because Monty is likable, but unfortunately he can’t cover both jobs and our AD isn’t willing to set him down and tell him these are your options if you want to continue to coach here.
Or he can't make that suggestion because the administration won't fund that option.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Or he can't make that suggestion because the administration won't fund that option.
He not here to give up control. He’s here to prove that not being allowed to call plays for the first 20 years he was with Briles was a mistake. You ever give a middle manager job to a loyal Long serving supervisor who you don’t think has the skills to get the job done but you do it anyway as a reward after there is a series of quick turnover in the job and you just can’t say no without effecting morale amongst the rest of the staff? That’s how Monty got to call plays for what two years before we bought this bill of goods. He’s hear to prove to himself or who ever that he is just as good as Art Briles and can make TU into a mini Baylor. The man has pride and that’s what this job has always been about for him besides the wild over compensation. He ain’t giving up jack and none of us would respect him if he did. This ship is gonna plow through icebergs until it sinks or there’s safe water on the other side.

I think the SS Monty is sunk, but doesn’t know it yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT