ADVERTISEMENT

Shake Milton...

He didn't like TU... Never heard the inside story but it must have started in Junior High somewhere. Coaches just have to lay a better groundwork for local players.

He didn't like TU... Never heard the inside story but it must have started in Junior High somewhere. Coaches just have to lay a better groundwork for local players.

He was a junior in high school when he crossed Tulsa off his list. That tale has been told here many times over the past 6 years.

A lousy DW and the idiocy that spewed from his lips probably didn't help much either....

Wojcik wasn't around when Shake was coming out of HS. It was Manning and Haith by that point.

Coach Manning came and watched Shake play a few games his junior season. By the time Coach Haith took over it was too late. Shake has already informed his teammates of his decision regarding Tulsa. It was still a shock to everyone when he chose Smoo though.

Wojcik wasn't around when Shake was coming out of HS. It was Manning and Haith by that point.
He would have laid the early ground work when Shake was coming up through the youth leagues. Seems that those relationships have to be built very early and then grown. Maybe my timeline is off...

He would have laid the early ground work when Shake was coming up through the youth leagues. Seems that those relationships have to be built very early and then grown. Maybe my timeline is off...
I think Woj was fired when Shake was a Freshman in HS. His not coming to TU likely had more to do with his buddy Jalen Lowe getting "slighted" by Danny Manning / BB.

Lowe wasn't on campus until Manning's 2nd year.

Last edited:

I expect Wojcik didn't show him much respect as a Junior High player when he should have been around a lot. Then Manning didn't do a good job either. Haith was probably too late to reverse course and attitude. Unfortunately Milton showed his animosity with TU on the floor but it fired our players up. Enjoyed watching SMU walk off the court at the BOK NCAA's with loss.

Do tell chum.
Jalen went to TU wanting to be a QB on the football team. The coaches wanted him to switch to another position and it pissed him off so he transferred, I think to a lower division, and talked bad about TU, at least that’s the version I got. It had nothing to do with the basketball coaches.

Jalen went to TU wanting to be a QB on the football team. The coaches wanted him to switch to another position and it pissed him off so he transferred, I think to a lower division, and talked bad about TU, at least that’s the version I got. It had nothing to do with the basketball coaches.

That’s not it either. It’s funny how these legends grow over time.

Last edited:
If it's funny how legends grow over time, then set the story straight, and put a halt to legends over time.

Did you hear about this surfer guy who pulled a knife on Mr. Hand this morning?

I’ve told the actual story here multiple times, and Money you even commented favorably the last time I recited it. But I’ll post it again, just for olde times sake.

As you know, Shake had a friend and former teammate who attended the University in 2013. This guy may have needed some help with his school work, so he was assigned a tutor who treated him like he was stupid.

He told Shake about his experience and Shake decided to end his recruiting relationship with TU. He told his HS teammates the story and I happened to have a player on the team. That’s how I know.

That’s it. Not as glamorous as some of the other versions, but at least no knives were involved.

That's how I would choose a college. I would ask an older academic underachiever if he was treated fairly by a non professor at a nearby school. That is a great way to choose a school. lol....... I put more emphasis on the lack of close personal relationships by our basketball assistants and head coaches who dropped the ball several times during his early years at Owasso.

Reactions: URedskin54

I’ve told the actual story here multiple times, and Money you even commented favorably the last time I recited it. But I’ll post it again, just for olde times sake.

As you know, Shake had a friend and former teammate who attended the University in 2013. This guy may have needed some help with his school work, so he was assigned a tutor who treated him like he was stupid.

He told Shake about his experience and Shake decided to end his recruiting relationship with TU. He told his HS teammates the story and I happened to have a player on the team. That’s how I know.

That’s it. Not as glamorous as some of the other versions, but at least no knives were involved.
I remembered the story vaguely and would have gotten a few details incorrect. That's why I wanted you to retell the story for better accuracy. I appreciated the story being told and retold. That's how you stop the legend, by retelling the story as many times as necessary. Thanks.

Maybe if the Owasso kid (guessing it was Lowe) had listened to his tutor he would have stayed at a D1 program instead of washing out to NEO

Maybe if the Owasso kid (guessing it was Lowe) had listened to his tutor he would have stayed at a D1 program instead of washing out to NEO

The D1 stage may have been a little big for him, but I don’t think he necessarily washed out at Neo. From what I hear, he eventually moved on to an NAIA school and earned some sort of national player of the year awards. I read recently that he now plays for an indoor team in Arizona. I didn’t know indoor football was still a thing.

The D1 stage may have been a little big for him, but I don’t think he necessarily washed out at Neo. From what I hear, he eventually moved on to an NAIA school and earned some sort of national player of the year awards. I read recently that he now plays for an indoor team in Arizona. I didn’t know indoor football was still a thing.
I wasn't saying that he washed out at NEO. Just that he washed out of TU. There were plenty of kids less athletically gifted than him that stuck around 4 seasons under BB / early on in Monty's tenure.

And that's the kid's version of the story. No one knows TU's side. Having known many individuals who worked in athletic academic support over the years, I find it hard to believe anyone employed there would call or imply that any of the student athletes they worked with were stupid. Now did the kid feel like he wasn't getting enough support or the type of support he felt he needed to remain academically eligible...probably. That's fair too. There's 2 sides of that story and the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

But Shake didn't bother to find out on his own. I'm sure plenty of other student athletes have a different take on the support they've gotten. But then again, nothing beats athletic administrators taking exams and writing papers for you. What people won't do for a cheating former NBA coach

What people won't do for a cheating former NBA coach

There was a really odd vibe about that whole situation. I helped run the booster club during Shake’s junior year, because that’s what senior parents were expected to do.

We met a whole lot of coaches from around the country making visits but never saw anyone from smoo. That’s not to say they weren’t there anonymously, but even his team mates were surprised by the final decision.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT