ADVERTISEMENT

SC State game thread

Don't be surprised if we see press the rest of the season. Konkol's going to need to take some more time in practice on that. Like what I saw out of Garcia and Archie.

Cobe, McWright, and Hall need to calm the hell down.
I'd be careful of assessing Garcia against this team. He won't do perform as well against higher level competition.

Konkol should have played Archie instead of Haggerty or McWright at pg most of this half. Thats the way you kill full court defense.
He should have played Archie after Kobe fouled out. McWright couldn’t handle the press. Haggerty did very well against the press.

McWright quickly made two turnovers after Cobe fouled out and Konkol literally dove down the bench and grabbed Archie who settled the team down (even as a Freshman)
Glad to see these lessons learned in a win. That leads to more wins down the road.

First game I have seen in person. We are very athletic. Archie is lightening quick. SCSU was quicker overall than most of the rest of our team and were athletic as well. Refs were one sided in the second half and let them mug us on the offensive side of the ball and called every foul the other way. We didn’t really attack the press well and were sloppy on many passes that could have led to scores. We have some interior players that need to finish at the rim. This will be a good team this year but with all the young players should be better next year and even more so the following year.

Archie and Reed can become special players. Archie needs experience and lots of playing time. Reed needs to bulk up - hit the weight room hard. Those 2 could be really special players.

Reactions: caneks and TU Sepp
How nice is it to have a coach who cares more about winning than beating his head against the wall trying to prove that his every decision was right?
Yep, but in the eyes of Original Tulsa Fan...Konkol doesn't know what he's doing.

We were up 24 at half...then clearly got bored. Do you even know how human nature works with college kids?

I'm glad our competition is stepping up now.

I've seen enough over 4 games and know the game - hope I am wrong. But, this team is a work in progress and has a few parts missing.
Dude, we literally won 5 games last year and 11 the year before. You're like my kids, I say I'm going to make pizza, 30 seconds later they're like "is the pizza done"?

12 wins max
.500 will be tough

Next year will be "do or die" ... but, this team is flawed by experience, ball handling, and half court offense. And, low post D. Atrocious.
We start 2 freshmen and a sophomore who played 6 minutes a game in the 15 games he played in last year. We have 5 freshmen in our top 9, all of whom get significant PT. You suggesting that you know what this team will become is ridiculous.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
We start 2 freshmen and a sophomore who played 6 minutes a game in the 15 games he played in last year. We have 5 freshmen in our top 9, all of whom get significant PT. You suggesting that you know what this team will become is ridiculous.
But he "knows the game"......right

He just likes to be negative for no reason. It's pathetic.

How nice is it to have a coach who cares more about winning than beating his head against the wall trying to prove that his every decision was right?
I actually liked Konkol letting Cobe play with 4 fouls instead of holding him out to the end. Too many coaches waste precious minutes putting star players on the bench in those situations. I still don't believe in two foul automatics the first half like Tubby did where sitting Pooh cost him a MVC Tourney Championship. The coach will know the propensity of their players to foul and each should be treated differently with 2 first half fouls.

I actually liked Konkol letting Cobe play with 4 fouls instead of holding him out to the end. Too many coaches waste precious minutes putting star players on the bench in those situations. I still don't believe in two foul automatics the first half like Tubby did where sitting Pooh cost him a MVC Tourney Championship. The coach will know the propensity of their players to foul and each should be treated differently with 2 first half fouls.
The refs were to blame anyway. They started to call everything against us in the second half, and nothing against them. Their coach conned the refs into thinking they called a poor first half. Our players just reacted to the way the refs were calling the 2nd half.

Reactions: TU Sepp
The refs were to blame anyway. They started to call everything against us in the second half, and nothing against them. Their coach conned the refs into thinking they called a poor first half. Our players just reacted to the way the refs were calling the 2nd half.
Need to take things out of the refs hands as much as we can in those situations (at least offensively). Dont rely on getting foul calls. Rely on running good offense and making shots.

Players are still learning how to play with each other as a team. Are they making lots of mistakes...yes. However, these mistakes are all coachable. From game 1 to last night, this team has shown growth in playing as a team. The coaches are seeing the flaws and coaching these kids up a little every game thus far. Is this team ready for the Big Dance, most likely not. However, if they beat the teams they should and grab a few unexpected victories, they just might have a chance to sneak in through the back door to the NIT. We all knew this was a complete rebuilding year. Still wish Selebangue would have stayed, he and Garcia would have combined to be a force in the paint!

Players are still learning how to play with each other as a team. Are they making lots of mistakes...yes. However, these mistakes are all coachable. From game 1 to last night, this team has shown growth in playing as a team. The coaches are seeing the flaws and coaching these kids up a little every game thus far. Is this team ready for the Big Dance, most likely not. However, if they beat the teams they should and grab a few unexpected victories, they just might have a chance to sneak in through the back door to the NIT. We all knew this was a complete rebuilding year. Still wish Selebangue would have stayed, he and Garcia would have combined to be a force in the paint!
You do know how hard it is for a G5 to sneak into the NIT with the new rules don't you? 24 teams are going to be p5 teams with the highest net that didn't make the ncaa tourney. There will only be 8 spots for us to sneak into the nit this year. Not so pleasant to try and get in that tourney now, for us g5 teams.

Teams that win their conf regular season but get upset in conference tournament will get an automatic spot. All other teams are voted on by a select group. Anyone getting all but one vote (most likely P5) will automatically get a spot. All other teams getting 2 votes or more will be evaluated by a committee to determine other spots. It will be very difficult to get into the NIT going forward.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT