ADVERTISEMENT

Saban Retires

Mike Norvell will be a legit candidate for that job. I'd personally want Kiffin, but he will get looked at.

its crazy to think a guy most of our administration and leadership laughed at the possibility of him interviewing here, could be coaching Alabama next season.

Dabo should also be in the mix. Played at Bama on a national Championship team for Gene Stallings.

Last edited:
Mike Norvell will be a legit candidate for that job. I'd personally want Kiffin, but he will get looked at.

its crazy to think a guy most of our administration and leadership laughed at the possibility of him interviewing here, could be coaching Alabama next season.
When were Tulsa and Novell both available? When he took the Memphis job?

Yeah same year we hired Montgomery
I thought it was lack of interest on Norvell's part, not the other way around.

I thought it was lack of interest on Norvell's part, not the other way around.
Since a previous star player of ours had an issue with him, he wasn't qualified to coach here.

Most of my comments are tongue in cheek, nobody had a clue how his career was going to end up. But there were a small group of us that knew everywhere Graham had success, there was always one constant by his side. If Graham only had one good quality, it was identifying coaching talent. And Norvell got to work with some of the best. He deserves everything he's getting right now.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
Since a previous star player of ours had an issue with him, he wasn't qualified to coach here.

Most of my comments are tongue in cheek, nobody had a clue how his career was going to end up. But there were a small group of us that knew everywhere Graham had success, there was always one constant by his side. If Graham only had one good quality, it was identifying coaching talent. And Norvell got to work with some of the best. He deserves everything he's getting right now.
I could be totally wrong on this, I just had it in the back of my brain. I could be remembering the other florida team(UF) and the other coach, (Mike White) for the other team.(basketball)

It don’t work this way.

He’s known for awhile and I’d be totally surprised if a successor he selected wasn’t locked down in writing a few months ago.

He was on the SEC coaches conference call this morning.

He participated in an interview for a vacant position coach job this afternoon, got up, told the assistants present not to be late for the team meeting in a few minutes, then went in and dropped the bomb.

It was totally normal routine day for him by all accounts.

The man is obsessed with controlling outcomes. He’s got 26 head coaches on his tree.

I can’t imagine this not being a known internal or family hire and something signed a few weeks or months ago.

Keep an eye on whoever Jimmy Sexton, Saban’s agent, has on his short list. Sexton must have known and undoubtedly has his own very short list he went over with Saban, if the deal isn’t already done.

Last edited:
Reactions: jesterondirt
Saban retires and Pete Carroll resigns.. hmmm...

Pete Carroll.

I was a part, a small part, of his first group. It was his first coaching job. Defensive back coach at the University of Arkansas, 1977.

He never once ever raised his voice or ever used salty language. Yet, coach Carroll is a person that could instill championship effort and a commitment to excellence. A very serious person and a great innovator.

He was the first NFL coach to bring in a yoga instructor to his players. Whoa.

We ran a lot of two high safeties. The high safeties were Monte Kiffin’s scheme and idea, and Monte was our defensive coordinator.

The hogs were the number one defense in the NCAA that year.

Yall would be shocked if you ever saw a list of people who have expressed interest in the Tulsa job over the years. Most of whom disclaim ever inquiring afterwards.
Please share...probably doesn't matter now.

I know Lou Spanos openly campaigned for it when Monty got it. He'd love to come back.

Pete Carroll.

I was a part, a small part, of his first group. It was his first coaching job. Defensive back coach at the University of Arkansas, 1977.

He never once ever raised his voice or ever used salty language. Yet, coach Carroll is a person that could instill championship effort and a commitment to excellence. A very serious person and a great innovator.

He was the first NFL coach to bring in a yoga instructor to his players. Whoa.

We ran a lot of two high safeties. The high safeties were Monte Kiffin’s scheme and idea, and Monte was our defensive coordinator.

The hogs were the number one defense in the NCAA that year.
Everyone thought Carroll was weird for essentially being Ted Lasso like with the kindness and never using bad language publicly. And remember, Pete Carroll got fired from the Patriots in 1998 after going 8-8 and having an overall winning record as the Pats coach (27-21). Most people in NE thought he was getting the ax because the Kraft's had BB in mind and wanted him before the Jets could hire him...and we all know how that turn of events went down. New England had to compensate the Jets with draft picks since it was established that Belichick agreed to the Jets contract in principle but hadn't signed it yet (something weird like that).

I think Carroll is one of the good guys in the game and he surrounded himself with mostly good people. I think the USC situation was unfortunate because I think what happened with Reggie Bush went down like you see in the movie Blue Chips where JT Walsh threatens Nick Nolte and asks him "How do you think those things went down? Friends of the program." I don't know that Carroll explicitly knew anything.

And he knew how to build defenses. I was pretty sure the Patriots wouldn't beat the Seahawks in that one SB and it took a miracle play to seal the deal. But no one liked playing those Seattle teams because you knew you were going to get hit square in the mouth as hard as they could hit, EVERY SINGLE PLAY.

It'll be interesting to see where teams go now. They're all trying to identify the water boy or the offensive data analytics guy to duplicate what the Dolphins have done, or find that young and upcoming coach who probably still needs a little more experience but it's time to cut their teeth now like McVay, Shanahan, and McDermott.

Reactions: Oak775
Everyone thought Carroll was weird for essentially being Ted Lasso like with the kindness and never using bad language publicly. And remember, Pete Carroll got fired from the Patriots in 1998 after going 8-8 and having an overall winning record as the Pats coach (27-21). Most people in NE thought he was getting the ax because the Kraft's had BB in mind and wanted him before the Jets could hire him...and we all know how that turn of events went down. New England had to compensate the Jets with draft picks since it was established that Belichick agreed to the Jets contract in principle but hadn't signed it yet (something weird like that).

I think Carroll is one of the good guys in the game and he surrounded himself with mostly good people. I think the USC situation was unfortunate because I think what happened with Reggie Bush went down like you see in the movie Blue Chips where JT Walsh threatens Nick Nolte and asks him "How do you think those things went down? Friends of the program." I don't know that Carroll explicitly knew anything.

And he knew how to build defenses. I was pretty sure the Patriots wouldn't beat the Seahawks in that one SB and it took a miracle play to seal the deal. But no one liked playing those Seattle teams because you knew you were going to get hit square in the mouth as hard as they could hit, EVERY SINGLE PLAY.

It'll be interesting to see where teams go now. They're all trying to identify the water boy or the offensive data analytics guy to duplicate what the Dolphins have done, or find that young and upcoming coach who probably still needs a little more experience but it's time to cut their teeth now like McVay, Shanahan, and McDermott.
Pete is a cheater. see USC sanctions he left them with

Pete is a cheater. see USC sanctions he left them with
See above. I'm not sure Carroll was the one in control of that situation...and it all centers on Reggie Bush. In the end, the NCAA was tasked with eliminating USC as a BCS candidate simply to appease Bama, Ohio State, Florida, and Texas...and sometimes OU. The same people calling for Bama and Texas to jump Washington into the CFP...the QB situation at FSU is what saved Washington from being left out.

Back to Alabama and Saban. Be cool if Cole Adams was on the phone with Kevin Wilson right now.

Reactions: TUMU
Because of the coaching change all players are allowed to hit the portal. So I am sure phones have been ringing off the hook with “NIL” structures

Reactions: HuffyCane
Back to Alabama and Saban. Be cool if Cole Adams was on the phone with Kevin Wilson right now.
I think he is over rated.

King of the hill type of guy.
If he’s king, he’s great.
If he’s not, he doesn’t do anything.

He dropped his first pass in a big game and could never get his sh1t together after that. Wouldn’t block, couldn’t run good routes and get open. It was actually kind of sad.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s a great kid.
He’s also a great leader… as long as he is king.

Reactions: jesterondirt
At Union in 2021 was the big one but it happened more than once.

Vs Jenks at BA was a semifinal game when the Rams were undefeated and ranked #1. Adams fumbled on the very first play and Jenks was off to the races. 39-15 final score.

It was even joked about at commencement the following May.

So on the ESPN USC @ Arizona broadcast last night, whoever was doing the game (may have been Schulman and Bilas), they mentioned that Saban retiring had a $100M impact on several schools between buyouts, new contracts, etc. So if you're tracking things: Saban out at Alabama, replaced by Deboer from Washington. Washington hires Jedd Fisch away from Arizona. Arizona hired the San Jose State coach Brent Brennan. SJSU has yet to hire their new head coach.

Of course the ESPN guys, especially Bilas who is a staunch college free agency and college athletes being paid for playing beyond their tuition, were taking the approach that if it's OK for coaches to up and leave and not honor the terms of their contracts (which of course they are and have contract buyouts built in for these reasons), then why should players have to. Well, maybe colleges need to include tuition and cost of attendance pay back terms for players who leave before they've exhausted their eligibility. Maybe schools should offer a 4 yr LOI. Make the NIL $ from the collectives both contract and incentive based with repayment terms if a kid transfers away (for those who are getting the $ up front and not for any actual NIL work like commercials and such). These talking heads are always "for the athletes getting what they should" but never mention all the ramifications for breach of contract or contract buyouts, tax burdens, etc. To them it's all so simple.

It don’t work this way.

Keep an eye on whoever Jimmy Sexton, Saban’s agent, has on his short list. Sexton must have known and undoubtedly has his own very short list he went over with Saban, if the deal isn’t already done.
Alabama hired Kalen DeBoer who is represented by Creative Arts/Jimmy Sexton. Depending upon who you believe, they spoke to Steve Sarkissian before the hire. Represented by CAA/Jimmy Sexton.

So on the ESPN USC @ Arizona broadcast last night, whoever was doing the game (may have been Schulman and Bilas), they mentioned that Saban retiring had a $100M impact on several schools between buyouts, new contracts, etc. So if you're tracking things: Saban out at Alabama, replaced by Deboer from Washington. Washington hires Jedd Fisch away from Arizona. Arizona hired the San Jose State coach Brent Brennan. SJSU has yet to hire their new head coach.

Of course the ESPN guys, especially Bilas who is a staunch college free agency and college athletes being paid for playing beyond their tuition, were taking the approach that if it's OK for coaches to up and leave and not honor the terms of their contracts (which of course they are and have contract buyouts built in for these reasons), then why should players have to. Well, maybe colleges need to include tuition and cost of attendance pay back terms for players who leave before they've exhausted their eligibility. Maybe schools should offer a 4 yr LOI. Make the NIL $ from the collectives both contract and incentive based with repayment terms if a kid transfers away (for those who are getting the $ up front and not for any actual NIL work like commercials and such). These talking heads are always "for the athletes getting what they should" but never mention all the ramifications for breach of contract or contract buyouts, tax burdens, etc. To them it's all so simple.
Or just drop the pretense of the student athlete and call it what it is: professional football. Its criminal that schools at the highest level make $ millions while players play for what is basically funny money to the schools.

Or just drop the pretense of the student athlete and call it what it is: professional football. Its criminal that schools at the highest level make $ millions while players play for what is basically funny money to the schools.
I agree with you. Saban was making something like $12.5M per season which is more than the majority of NFL head coaches. And I think there was a fringe good coach getting ready to get paid more than that to keep him around. I half joked that Texas was going to give Sarkisian a $5M/yr raise just to keep Bama from coming after him. Well, Texas did give him a raise and an extension. Not quite $5M per but after only 2 years and so-so until this past year. Someone said Harbaugh has been offered a new contract extension for 10 yrs at about $14M per with a huge buyout and a clause saying he can't leave for the NFL the 1st year the extension is in effect. Harbaugh hasn't signed it yet. The amount of money being thrown at college coaches is just ridiculous.

Alabama hired Kalen DeBoer who is represented by Creative Arts/Jimmy Sexton. Depending upon who you believe, they spoke to Steve Sarkissian before the hire. Represented by CAA/Jimmy Sexton.
Doesn't surprise me...and it wouldn't surprise me if Sexton went to UW and said this is the price, are you going to match it?

And pay back the cost to recruit him, while he walks out the door 12 months later.

Reactions: TU_BLA
And pay back the cost to recruit him, while he walks out the door 12 months later.
I still think that we arent that far away from a 32 team College Draft of HS kids.. we have recruiting services and camps evaluating these kids like livestock. We have networks paying billions for broadcast rights to competitive games. We have schools with massive budgets threatening the competitive balance... the only solution that I see is an NFL model for the P2, but, that will mean dropping the pretend student athlete moniker, dropping eligibility restrictions, and calling it what it is.. the NFLDL..

These things are cyclical but it appears the Top 60 teams are no longer interested in hiring G5 coaches. I could be wrong but only one high level vacancy went to a G5 coach this time. Whether that is caused by alignment changes or Billy Napier remains to be seen.

Billy Napier
Why would one possibly 'bad hire'(Florida) that hasn't run its course yet, significantly influence the P5 as a whole not to hire from the G5. And why would one make a two out of three hiring into a trend. Two hires does not a trend, make. I think you are reaching a bit, at this point.

Bama is at a level, that they can afford to hire a top coach from a P5. Could be completely coincidental that the school they hired from, chose to hire from a P5 as well. Your inference that the top 60 teams no longer appear to be interested in G5 coaches is a bit premature. Look below, 3:5 ratio does not convince me that it's a trend. One hiring switch and it's even.

This season hirings for HC at P5's:

Former G5 coach - 3
Assistant/Coordinator - 4
HC at other P5's - 5

Last edited:
Former G5 coach - 3
I dont consider Arizona or Indiana to be in Top 60. Arizona was recently forced to admit that they uncovered nearly $300 million in off the books athletics department debt. They hired a G5 coach because he was the lowest bidder. Indiana is a nightmare and barely P5 despite rolling in the money but I will concede it is a "high level" hire to some. Houston? Not in the Top 60, recently in the G5.

Look at it in reverse. Look at the dudes in the G5 that did not get a look when five years ago they would have been the hot names: Jamey Chadwell, Traylor, Monken, aint nobody ringin' Tom Herman's phone, Ty Helton is stuck at Western despite a heckuva of job building with nothing.

Instead we see P5 defensive backs coaches getting hired, and a lot of recycled names either as P5 HCs or Cos.

They are consolidating upwards as far as programs/TV money and players, and they are starting to consolidate coaching talent too.

Why would one possibly 'bad hire'(Florida) that hasn't run its course yet, significantly influence the P5 as a whole not to hire from the G5.
Because the sport is run by a bunch of rednecks with enough ego and ignorance to spontaneously combust the piles of money they sit on. The same guys that have a tackle box full of hooks, but only fish with one of them because that one is "lucky." Because sailors dont trust a Jonah. Because half the sport is administrated by a bunch of guys that were too crooked for wrestling and NASCAR but everyone still wonders why college football has a good ol' boy problem. Because nobody wants to be the fool that was warned not to hire from the G5 like Florida, did it anyway, wasted tens of millions of dollars, gets fired and has to try to find a real job selling insurance in some small town.

Reactions: noble cane
I dont consider Arizona or Indiana to be in Top 60. Arizona was recently forced to admit that they uncovered nearly $300 million in off the books athletics department debt. They hired a G5 coach because he was the lowest bidder. Indiana is a nightmare and barely P5 despite rolling in the money but I will concede it is a "high level" hire to some. Houston? Not in the Top 60, recently in the G5.

Look at it in reverse. Look at the dudes in the G5 that did not get a look when five years ago they would have been the hot names: Jamey Chadwell, Traylor, Monken, aint nobody ringin' Tom Herman's phone, Ty Helton is stuck at Western despite a heckuva of job building with nothing.

Instead we see P5 defensive backs coaches getting hired, and a lot of recycled names either as P5 HCs or Cos.

They are consolidating upwards as far as programs/TV money and players, and they are starting to consolidate coaching talent too.
I don't consider Houston has had enough time to make themselves top 60 or not yet. That's one I would consider neutral. Indiana I'll give you that they aren't top 60. Monken has g5 history in 2013 in coaching southern miss, other than that he has been NFL/P5. Chadwell, Traylor, and Helton not being taken convinces me a whole lot more than the argument you gave before, but I still don't think it's an established trend yet.

If I considered all your exceptions to my points, there are exceptions to yours. I don't consider Oregon St & Duke top 60 either. That affects Michigan St because they hired Oregon St's coach, and changes Texas A&M because they picked up the Duke coach. That switches the ratio to 2:3 (Alabama/Washington : Arizona/Michigan St./Texas A&M) If you separate out Indiana & Houston, then you have to separate Oregon St & Duke.

I don't think they are consolidating their coaches in the way that you talk about. That would be stupid. Even if they had already made the separation and already formed the new league, that would be ignorant to not consider the coaching pool of the 'other league' of G5's and former P5's coaching candidates. As I stated earlier, I think it's a little early to consider this as a trend. except that a few high level g5 coaches got left behind w/ g5's, and lower level P5's.(that would be g5's if the upper p5 league decided to separate themselves right now)

Last edited:
Because the sport is run by a bunch of rednecks with enough ego and ignorance to spontaneously combust the piles of money they sit on. The same guys that have a tackle box full of hooks, but only fish with one of them because that one is "lucky." Because sailors dont trust a Jonah. Because half the sport is administrated by a bunch of guys that were too crooked for wrestling and NASCAR but everyone still wonders why college football has a good ol' boy problem. Because nobody wants to be the fool that was warned not to hire from the G5 like Florida, did it anyway, wasted tens of millions of dollars, gets fired and has to try to find a real job selling insurance in some small town.
Ok, maybe they are that dumb. I would think the power structure has more control over the idiots. But maybe the idiots are the power structure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT