ADVERTISEMENT

First severe NIL Violation

jesterondirt

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator
Sep 28, 2006

FSU caught using the NIL to recruit. The NCAA has said since day 1, you can't do that. I imagine schools like A&M will have some of these violations in the near future.

Probation but no bowl ban? No significant scholarship losses. So no real teeth to the punishment. And tell me someone from OSU's collective didn't offer AJ Green his deal before he decided to flip. Guaranteed there is a paper trail or electronic record of that. Someone should clue the NCAA in to that. Of course we'll probably get hammered with a 3 yr ban of something for OSU's violations. And wouldn't OSU possibly be subject to the death penalty for its athletics dept because of the recent basketball bribe scandal?

FSU caught using the NIL to recruit. The NCAA has said since day 1, you can't do that. I imagine schools like A&M will have some of these violations in the near future.
Just a warning to non P5 teams.
See what we did to FSU? Try us.

To the top teams in the P5 it reads, “FSU got a slap on the wrist Go ahead and offer that G5 QB just under $1M and we’ll be fine.”

It's just a matter of when with A&M. They have been brazen with it.

I wonder if they will catch SMU at it and give them another death penalty. That would be a riot if they warned FSU then hung SMU from the highest pole, to 'set an example'.

NIL is nothing but a tool used to recruit and sign players. NIL “opportunities” are brought up during practically every recruitment of high level athletes….even at TU. NCAA simply trying to stay relevant and show everyone they care and will impose penalties. Nevermind those penalties amount to nothing.

NIL is nothing but a tool used to recruit and sign players. NIL “opportunities” are brought up during practically every recruitment of high level athletes….even at TU. NCAA simply trying to stay relevant and show everyone they care and will impose penalties. Nevermind those penalties amount to nothing.
Pandora's box.

Probation but no bowl ban? No significant scholarship losses. So no real teeth to the punishment. And tell me someone from OSU's collective didn't offer AJ Green his deal before he decided to flip. Guaranteed there is a paper trail or electronic record of that. Someone should clue the NCAA in to that. Of course we'll probably get hammered with a 3 yr ban of something for OSU's violations. And wouldn't OSU possibly be subject to the death penalty for its athletics dept because of the recent basketball bribe scandal?
Just because something goes against your team, does not mean another school did something wrong.........

I am sure Arch Manning had no idea that he was going to receive over $3M for signing with Texas!

• Haha
Reactions: TU Man
Just because something goes against your team, does not mean another school did something wrong.........
What are you accusing the NCAA of then, unjust actions, ignorance, something else? They set the rules up, they can enforce them. I assume they feel their rules were intentionally ignored, and I don't doubt them. It is the wild west out there right now, and that isn't right.

What are you accusing the NCAA of then, unjust actions, ignorance, something else? They set the rules up, they can enforce them. I assume they feel their rules were intentionally ignored, and I don't doubt them. It is the wild west out there right now, and that isn't right.
I am referring directly to the AJ Green accusation........I am all for schools being punished for breaking NIL rules......I was just commenting on the fact that the poster insinuated that the only reason OSU flipped AJ Green was because OSU broke the rules

I am referring directly to the AJ Green accusation........I am all for schools being punished for breaking NIL rules......I was just commenting on the fact that the poster insinuated that the only reason OSU flipped AJ Green was because OSU broke the rules
Misunderstood your criticism as too broad, my apologies. But I do think he knew his nil before he committed to you guys.

Reactions: TU Sepp
I am pretty sure that's exactly what happened...especially in light of FSU getting dinged on their NIL inducements. I just thought it didn't matter and now the NCAA is saying it does matter.

The NCAA issued two formal letters and a series of informal guidance documents and trainings on what not to do. They are NOT “now saying it does matter.” They’ve said it all along. They have set out very specific limits and did so at the start. Arguably, FSU ignored it. We certainly did not.

In NASCAR, they didnt limit the total amount of fuel carried in a car for safety reasons. They limited the size of the tank for safety and competitive reasons. So a few drivers immediately installed more than two miles of tubing inside their cars as “the fuel line.” Theres countless other examples. College football is another redneck sport with a century of tradition of engineering how to break the spirit of the rules without breaking the letter of the rules. FSU tried here and failed.

If FSU has a problem, it’s that the boosters literally, on paper, by design, control the athletic department. And there’s a faction that believes they must break the rules because the industry will leave them behind if they don’t. That’s nothing new in the sport either.

If the NCAA has a problem, it’s their penalties hurt tv networks with bowl bans and kids with scholarship limits. You could make a convincing argument that the only thing that hurts schools is loss of money and prestige. They need to move to a monetary penalty model that requires offenders to post bonds for violations and results in automatic relegation to lower Divisions for a minimum of three seasons.

The nonsense would stop if Auburn faced losing all its players to transfer and having to play Furman and Citadel for years, not to mention having to lay off or reassign dozens of people.

But as we saw with SMU, something talked about 40 years later, the nonsense isn’t part of the sport. It’s the sport itself. Stop the nonsense, you stop the sport, because without the nonsense does anybody really care if Kansas State beat Wyoming last week or ten years ago?

The suspense isn’t whether Michigan beats Washington, it’s whether Michigan stole enough signs and brought in the right players one way or another to overcome their competitive issues particular to their campus and culture and whether that would be enough to beat Washington’s transfers. On a macro level, will each school be able to bring in enough new TV revenue to pay players without jeopardizing current operations or their whole $100 million or more operation going into bankruptcy.

Thats the sport. We need the FSUs. Without them, and the bookies, nobody cares if we beat Rice or not.

From that standpoint, you are a fool if you don’t think OSU went after Green because they wanted to pick up a player from a team on their schedule. Of course they wanted to flex their regional muscle on a smaller school. But they also were just looking for the best back available that wanted to stay in the area and he was available. They also probably had some NIL budget room left they didn’t think they would have, so they spent it on depth as an insurance policy on Gordon. How they did it or whether they did it in violation of the rules doesn’t matter. Because it’s the “did they or didn’t they” debate that makes this sport.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure that's exactly what happened...especially in light of FSU getting dinged on their NIL inducements. I just thought it didn't matter and now the NCAA is saying it does matter.
Not sure why a school would “cheat” to sign someone to sit on their bench but I suppose it’s possible. Much more likely for those players who will see the field and even more likely for difference makers imo.

Not sure why a school would “cheat” to sign someone to sit on their bench but I suppose it’s possible. Much more likely for those players who will see the field and even more likely for difference makers imo.
For every Hart Lee Dykes and Craig James, there’s countless examples of violations recruiting bit players and depth. Indeed, one of the more shocking things about SMU wasn’t that they were paying players, that was common knowledge back then that the best players got money under the table, it was that they were paying ALL of them. It fell apart at SMU because a bit player got hurt, wanted the money to continue to be paid, and when they refused and he knew he wasn’t going to play elsewhere or go pro, he went to the NCAA.

They cheat to get bench players like that because you have to win every game. And Gordon is one snap from being lost for the season. You are talking about a sport with schools that add meteorology and turf management as degrees so the football team has access to research experts on weather trends and which breed of grass gives a competitive edge.

Of course they have another $70,000 or whatever for a one year deal on a back up RB. And the back door communications that make him available and then signed can never be stopped.

Last edited:
For every Hart Lee Dykes and Craig James, there’s countless examples of violations recruiting bit players and depth. Indeed, one of the more shocking things about SMU wasn’t that they were paying players, that was common knowledge back then that the best players got money under the table, it was that they were paying ALL of them.

They cheat to get bench players like that because you have to win every game. And Gordon is one snap from being lost for the season. You are talking about a sport with schools that add meteorology and turf management as degrees so the football team has access to research experts on weather trends and which breed of grass gives a competitive edge.

Of course they have another $70,000 or whatever for a one year deal on a back up RB. And the back door communications that make him available and then signed can never be stopped.
The problem with that scenario is if you pay a kid $70k to be a backup the starters are going to demand more than the $70k to stay. OSU doesn’t have that kind of money. Now a blue blood would be different. Now I assume the kid got paid something. 70k for a backup would surprise me. Cheating for a benchwarmer still makes little sense imo.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Nobody said any of this had anything to do with good business sense or traditional market forces.

And that was exactly the scenario in the SMU thing iirc. The guy was a TE I think who got hurt. He wanted more money not to play than what they were paying the starter.

Reactions: lawpoke87
I wonder if they will catch SMU at it and give them another death penalty. That would be a riot if they warned FSU then hung SMU from the highest pole, to 'set an example'.
So if a school says "we are paying $xx to every athlete, isn't that the same thing as recruiting inducement?

If the athlete has market value to attract the attention of scouts, bagmen, agents, and handlers, they know that value. If they dont attract those types of actors, they know their value is zero. Either way, they know their value. The problems start when players think their value is higher than it actually is.

The $64,000 question is whether schools know/are telling collectives to offer set amounts with a cap for each player or a transfer window as a whole. Or whether it is agents and bagmen telling collectives and therefore schools that players will only be available for certain amounts, even after offers are made. That later creates incentives in systems to a) allow obscure actors unconnected to the sport to control the labor supply, and b) reduce the number of collectives so that the agents have a single point of contact with each school, rather than a half dozen.

Given the consolidation of NIL collectives quickly, my sense is that agents know the approximate values of their players and the amounts schools will pay. They are telling kids this. But they dont want to knock on six doors at six different schools. They dont have time to knock on 36 doors for ten percent of $20,000. And in most cases they are picking winners and losers in that process without regard to the value of the degree to the student or other intangibles like location to parents, employment desires after graduation or other items. This isnt like the NFL where a free agent QB only has two or three roster spots across the league and both he and the agent know where they are and the GMs involved going back decades. They have to work the phones and talk to ex players and car dealers in every uni in the country. The potential to misdirect students to schools based solely on trying to maximize commissions is high.

All of this stuff was banned for a reason back in the 1950s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT